Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

gleebster posted:

You know what underrated? Gassing out-of-control threads.

My unpopular opinion is that people are far too liberal with their usage of the word "derail". If it's a thread about dogs and all you're talking about is politics, then yeah it's a derail. If it's a heated discussion with lots of participation, as long as it doesn't break any rules, it's just an active thread. For most people when they say derail they really mean "they're talking about things I don't like to read".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I see the thread is back to its roots of endless steak+condiment chat.

There's a difference between using condiments/sauces to cover up flavor and using them to enhance flavor. Slathering something halfway to charcoal with A1 is covering up the flavor. That said, "well done" isn't synonymous with overcooked. It's a specific temperature that, if done right, can still be good. The problem is most "chefs" think well done is "leave it on the grill and forget about it for half an hour" because they don't know how to cook it or are babies and throw a tantrum and ruin it intentionally because they want to make a point that people who order well done are "wrong".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

White bread is not universally the sweet stuff you get if you buy like Wonderbread etc. There are plenty of freshly baked white breads that taste fine and are just as good as the bread you can get everywhere else, right in your American supermarket if they have a bakery.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't think anyone seriously thinks Trump is going to bring about the end of the world. There are a lot of people saying it, but deep down I'm sure they know that, while things may likely get lovely for them/the world, things will keep on going on as they have been and there will be no end of the world in our lifetime.

A somewhat related opinion: moving to another country solely because of an election result is shameful, and people who do this should have their citizenship revoked permanently. If you want to enjoy the benefits of US citizenship you should stay and try to change it when you don't get your way instead of throwing a tantrum and letting everyone else without the means to move elsewhere sort it out.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

This exact argument is used by Finnish nationalists against refugees from Syria or Iraq. "If they were good people why didn't they stay and fight for their country?"

Are you seriously suggesting that the situations in Syria and Iraq are anywhere close to similar to the USA's current situation?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

no u

The citizens of a country are under no obligation to stay and improve it if they want to go elsewhere instead.

I never said they shouldn't be allowed to leave, just that they shouldn't be allowed to (or at least they should make it difficult to) return whenever it benefits them if they are leaving solely because of political reasons. It's opportunistic and selfish. You're allowed to be opportunistic and selfish, but I wouldn't complain a bit if people like that started getting punished for it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I agree with some of those, but what's the deal with #9? What "personal" stuff do you have in your car? Do I have to decorate my car interior like it's my dorm room to be "introspective"? The most personal things you'll find in my car is old receipts that fell under the seats and my car registration. I clearly don't care about appearances because I drive a pile of poo poo 97 ford explorer whose systems are progressively failing (no AC, power windows don't work, you have to really jam the key around to get it to unlock, it doesn't start a lot so I always have to have a can of ether on hand...etc). Nobody looks at that and says "wow that guy is obsessed with his appearance".

e: also pepperoni is the best pizza topping ever made. Off of pizza it's not that great, but overall I think you are wrong on that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

If you don't live on a farm where the cats are doing actual work and you let your cats outside unrestrained to wander the neighborhood, you're a piece of poo poo. It's always backed up by bullshit like "but he WANTS outside, i can't say no to my baby!". Trust me, keep him inside, he'll live. This goes double if you don't spay/neuter your pet.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

At least we can all agree that GTA: San Andreas had the best radio stations and music.

K-ROSE is the most fun to listen to and there hasn't been a station that entertaining since.

I'd go even further and say it is by far the best game overall out of all in the series. I bought GTA 4 and 5 and have about 2 hours played on each because I just can't get into them, whereas I have close to 1000 on san andreas.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Both are shows that ran out of original ideas years ago and only are still being made because they know people will keep watching it no matter how bad it is. The best shows know when to call it quits. In very rare cases shows can recover and continue to get better in later seasons (like supernatural in my opinion), but most of the time you get things like season 9-10 of Stargate SG-1 and every season starting with season 2 of The Walking Dead where they just keep digging and finding new ways to be bad until they get cancelled.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Voicemails can be helpful if you know I want to talk to you but are calling from a weird number, but probably 99%+ of the voicemails I actually get are either 30 seconds of rustling around because they didn't push the hang up button, a pre-recorded thing, or some rear end in a top hat from the alumni association I don't want to talk to. I can't remember the last time I actually called someone who left a voicemail back. If someone misses a call from me I'll either just send a followup text saying to call me when they get a chance, or try again later.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think most people with those opinions just aren't watching things filmed in those resolutions. Like for a while with HD, pretty much everything besides sports was non-HD and looked not so great, but when you watch things designed to take advantage of your TV's capabilities it looked great. I definitely saw a trend where people bought the 1080p giant flatscreens for thousands of dollars the year they were coming out and were very disappointed, whereas people who waited a few years for things to catch up with the technology thought it was great. I assume the same thing is happening with early purchasers of 4k stuff.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

On the other hand, I saw some TVs in a shop recently playing a normal DVD and it looked absolutely awful because the picture was too low-res for the TV. Maybe there was some option they had set wrong, but it was definitely not a good ad for new TVs.

They were probably using the "upsampling" feature that most new bluray players have for older movies. Sometimes it looks ok, more often in my experience it looks really, really bad. It should really be left off by default and let people who want it turn it on, because most people my parents' ages don't even realize it's a feature you can turn off and just deal with it and complain that kids these days are even ruining their old movies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I can't imagine what sort of life would lead someone to disagree with this.

How have you never come across "PUA"/MRA culture? They had a crush in highschool and tried to backdoor their way in by being friends first, it didn't work out, they turned into bitter husks the rest of their life who think all women are leading them on.

In their case, yes it is impossible for them to be friends with women because they'll always sabotage it by hiding their "I want to date you" feelings until a few years down the road and spring it on them and hope they are stunned into saying yes instead of being up front from the beginning.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

I don't really think there's anything wrong with liking anime or SU or even MLP. What's weird is making that a large part of your identity.

If you're a creepy gently caress, that's a totally separate quality that might be correlated to liking MLP, but I still don't feel like making fun of someone for watching the show. If they're worth making fun of then they'll give me something specific to work with.

There is a distinction between the fans and the weird fans but i think liking stuff like that still says something about you. If you like steven universe for example I think there is maybe a 5% chance we're going to get along, and that is contingent on you never trying to talk to me about the show.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I just saw Frozen recently and all I could think during that song was "A bunch of white girls probably blast this song when they move out of their parents' house for the first time."

Frozen is by far the worst movie Disney has ever been involved in and is the only one I've seen that I was so displeased with it I turned it off within 20 minutes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

Classic whiteamerica.txt. You're always forgetting about Native Americans

What are you even trying to say? I've only seen 1 of those and Pocahontas wasn't bad, as a child. Maybe if I saw Frozen as a child it would have been OK, but as it was, I was an adult on a plane with literally nothing to do besides watch that movie and I chose to just continue on in silence because it was so unpleasant. If you enjoy frozen and you don't have kids and are just pretending to like it for their benefit there's something wrong with you, just like with steven universe or MLP.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

I watched Steven Universe a few times and it seemed really dumb and kiddy. It didnt makensense why it was so popular to me.

It has that thing going for it where if you say you don't like it people are like "why, do you hate black/fat/non-gender-conforming people?" and nobody wants to be those things.

That said, nobody should watch that show unless they are a) a kid or b) are a parent with a kid watching it and indulging them.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

gentle pete posted:

Food tastes better with minimal seasoning. Spices were historically used to make rotten food and garbage cuts of meat palatable, there is no reason to drown your food in spices in 2016

I'd say "balanced" rather than minimal. Spices are an important part of cooking and are far more than just bad flavor maskers no matter how they were originally used. The difference between say a boneless skinless chicken breast with no spices and one with just a little salt/pepper is night and day.

I agree with the wheat loaf about pierce brosnan too. Sean Connery second best.

I can't tell if Jastiger is trying to be serious by using Bruce Willis and Shia Labeouf of all people as examples of great actors, but either way it's a silly opinion. You even say yourself they aren't comparable. New technology and different filming styles allow them to do different things, and yes generally they are better but it's not fair to say it's because of talent. Resurrect John Wayne or whatever and put him in a blockbuster movie and he'd most likely do just as well as any modern actor you can name. It's like saying golfers 100 years ago who had to use wooden clubs and inferior balls are less talented than golfers today. It's more about technology than talent.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pick posted:

There isn't really a good fast-food burger. In-n-Out, Five Guys, etc. are all just the shame poo poo and they're all pretty bad. I mean Burgerville is all right but they're sort of on the brink like Panera Bread of not really being fast food as such.

May I kindly refer you to Fuddruckers. They are kind of on the border of fast food and a real restaurant since you have to wait ~5 minutes before they get your burger cooked, but it's still very fast compared to a sit down place.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Trying to label political movements is almost as pointless as labeling generations. Everyone has a different definition, even in academia. There might be a general consensus on what a millenial is or what an alt-right is but everyone outside of academic circles (and even to some degree within them) will never agree on what they actually are besides "people we don't like".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

No restaurant that serves 2 pound burgers are any good.

Last I checked they only have 1 pound burgers as the maximum size available regularly. They do bigger ones only as a gimmick like restaurants do with their 3 pound steak "challenge" - people who order that have no expectation of it being cooked properly, they just want to prove a point. I've had the 1 pound burger and while it was pretty unwieldy, it was cooked fine.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I think goon doctor is probably the worst. There are people there that tell every poster to go to a real doctor but those aren't the posters that get listened to. It's a bunch of hypochrondriacs that only want validation and refuse to see a doctor and learn the truth that they aren't special and just have the flu or something instead of kuru.

The only explanation for it being kept open is goons will rather frequently post their dick unprompted which is occasionally funny and/or gross.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I am struggling to see how having them start on the first of a month makes anything whatsoever "more convenient", aside from I guess remembering when it happens. But knowing the season for most people has no practical application, so who cares?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Its an indictment of humanity and the American education system that propeganda and advertising works the way it does. Fake news shouldnt be a think in 2016, but because most conservatives are illiterate and morons false information has and will continue to influence the direction of the most powerful country in the world.

All because a significant minority of people are too stupid to check their facts or make a rational critical decision.

"Fake news" isn't a recent thing. It has been around since news has been around. There is no truly objective news source anyway so this isn't the "gently caress the south" issue you wish it was.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Nah it actually is. Fake news has always been a thin, and what also has always been a thing has been the ability to
A) Create a cohesive argument that makes loving sense. Ex: LOL OBAMA USES A TELEPROMPTER WHAT AN IDIOT (everyone uses one) or KEEP YOUR GOVERNMENT OUT OF MY MEDICARE. By every measure this is retarded, regardless of political position.
B) The ability to discuss ideas in an educated or at least somewhat cohesive manner. Ex: I'm voting for X because he will help Y because X said and campaigned on doing Y

What has not always been the case has been the ability to immediately and easily and cheaply verify information. Ex: Obama spent 9 billion dollars on a personal armada to India in 2013. Ex: Clinton has had people killed personally and verifiably.

poo poo like that. Its one thing to not trust someone, its another to be a supposed intelligent member of a democratic society and be unable to comprehend and process basic information. A lot of Americans and people can, but unfortunately, a large minority can't.

And that is hosed up.

The people who were prone to believing fake news about Hillary were going to vote Republican either way, just like the people who can't see through the heavily biased pieces on the other side of the spectrum. It's such a silly thing to focus on. If "fake news" had an effect on the election outcome it wasn't statistically relevant.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jastiger posted:

Lol if you don't think a substantial number of people voted for Trump/Didnt' vote at all because of the fake news about her indictment, murdering people, and liesa bout OBama for the past 8 years.

The things that seemed to matter to people, like Comey re-opening the investigation and just news about the investigation about her emails in general, were not fake news. Those were things that actually happened. If I had a dollar for every person who was swayed solely based on the really out-there stuff like pizzagate I'd be lucky to have a single dollar. The only people who buy into that extreme fake conspiracy theory poo poo are just hardcore anti-Hillary people who would believe pretty much anything if it aligned with their preset viewpoint.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Those "softheaded" people are also Americans and their opinions do matter. Let's not forget your precious Iowa voted for Trump in a landslide. The election was lost by the democrats not because of fake news, but because the democrats tried to hitch their wagon exclusively to young people who just don't vote historically and never will.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wheat Loaf posted:

My opinion is that Taylor Swift isn't much of a singer, and also that Kanye was right insofar as, while Beyoncé's video wasn't one of the best videos of all time (OF ALL TIME) it was still better than Taylor Swift's video.

My other opinion is that prog rock, nine times out of ten, isn't really rock music at all. It's just people wanking and noodling and squawking about elves and half-baked philosophy. I think the only worthwhile variety of prog rock is the really early stuff from the late 1960s and very early 1970s when it was still identifiable as jazz or R&B.

If we're talking music, I'll go back to my old standby of saying that Bon Jovi is the best band to come out of the 80s and are still among the best even now.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bullying has a place in society and if there was more of it there would be way less clueless people.

I agree with this, but the ones "bullying" you shouldn't be your peers. There should be a formal system with rules and regulations where the teachers are allowed to mold you into a functional person. The way it works now you have bullies beating on weak people with no supervision and no recourse if they go too far without subjecting yourself to more intense bullying. Let teachers have absolute authority and I think we'd be a lot better off. Coddling helps nobody.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

Bubbles from TPB is not even a little bit funny. For a less unpopular opinion, the Netflix seasons blow.

I don't agree with the first part but the "Swearnet" seasons are definitely the worst of the main show. The more recent one where they go to Europe make them look like fine art though. That was incredibly painful to get through. Also the extended puppet show live "movie".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pick posted:

I sort of doubt that, though. I think you'd find a profitable niche if you launched a "whites-only" restaurant or similar. That's why it has to be illegal.

I can't imagine a whites only restaurant succeeding anywhere that isn't already pretty much whites-only just from demographics already. Put one in a major city and it would probably be a permanent protest site, constantly having to pay for damages and the people who went would have their identities smeared all over the internet.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People who share their thoughts on TV episodes on facebook as they are happening/shortly after it airs are the worst and are just fishing for people to get pissed at them for "spoiling" it. I don't even care about getting "spoiled" for the most part, I just think it's very annoying attention-seeking behavior on par with posting something like "i'm so mad/sad right now" and being coy about it forever when people ask what's wrong. Go get real non-internet friends, it will make you feel better than watching your like/comments counter go up.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Goodness at least put some effort into your trolling. You're barely at "edgy pre-teen telling mom there's no god" level at this point

You're just embarrassing yourself

What's the point when they've been doing the same level of "trolling" for a very long time and no matter how low effort it is it gets half a page of replies, every single time?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Star Wars isn't nearly interesting enough of a concept/universe to deserve as many movies as it is getting. Same with Star Trek and the endless series and movies. Stargate SG-1 was much more interesting and realistically handled (in terms of the military running things instead of a bunch of space monks or peaceful do-gooders, at least), and while it had a good long run, I'd rather be seeing endless reboots of that instead of star wars/trek.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blue Star posted:

Science fiction is a very silly genre. Almost as silly as fantasy. It's make believe. It's not interesting at all. And it's inherently regressive in its politics.

Pretty much every fiction genre is silly. Drama, romance, action, all of it, it's just as "make believe" as any other movie. They are just playing make believe about different things.

And if you care about the "politics" of any movie/series you are probably thinking about it too hard.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

The military runs everything in all of those.

They go out of their way to not act like a military, and go out of their way to distinguish themselves from "war-like" races. In DS9 for example they only have one "warship" (even though they could easily make more), despite the fact that their enemies have hundreds. With every other ships the weapons/shields are more of an afterthought. In star wars they are just religious fanatics that sometimes fight, but that is not their primary function.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Realism isn't the ultimate goal of storytelling. Also, comparing it to Stargate is apples and oranges, Star Wars is space fantasy, not sci-fi.

Obviously not since we're talking about stories with spaceships and magic aliens. The "realism" I was talking about was just in terms of portraying human nature and how we would hypothetically deal with having access to such advanced technology. It gives humanity too much credit to assume we wouldn't use it on our human enemies first and any aliens that don't hand over their stuff second.

And the genre thing is nitpicking. If it has spaceships and lasers and aliens I'm lumping it all together. I don't care if it's technically space fantasy, space opera, whatever, they are close enough to be compared.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

WampaLord posted:

:confused:

Are you describing Stargate or Star Wars here? Both involve using advanced technology on human enemies.

This is getting kind of silly. All I was saying is that the federation in star trek and the jedi in star wars are pretty lame and hamstring themselves intentionally to avoid being too militaristic, whereas Stargate doesn't - the stargate program from the beginning (and aside from the brief times it was under government control) a military program with military goals. I really don't care to argue about why it is better, my opinion is that it just makes for a better show. The political and diplomatic parts of star trek and star wars (i.e. the prequels) bore me to tears. Just blow something up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Beige posted:

You do agree with my statement though, right?

The segment of the population who hates muslims but is OK with arabic people of other religions is small enough of a minority that it's safe to say that if you hate muslims, you hate arabic people in general and are therefore racist.