Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

veni veni veni posted:

Star Wars has really cool looking poo poo, is fun and you can watch it in a a couple of hours per movie. Star Gate Sg1 is a low rent Scy Fy show for uber nerds that no one with any taste is going to bother watching in the first place. That why Star Wars "gets all the sequels" whatever that means.

What else would it mean besides "they keep making movies based on it"?

And it was hardly "low rent", it started out as a showtime show and had macgyver in it, and is probably the only reason the scifi channel is still even around in its terrible "syfy" form - it certainly wasn't their original movies keeping them afloat. The only famous actors star wars has are only famous because they were in star wars. yeah i'm including harrison ford in that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Even if it is it just strengthens my point that stargate managed to be better than the big name powerhouse titles with a fraction of their budget.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pick posted:

Babylon 5 is the best, with neither budget, recognizable actors, or more than 3 distinct sets :shepface:.

(A favorite moment is when Cartagia is visiting Narn, and his assistant is like "we've done it up just like your throne room so you'll be comfortable!" which is a funny excuse in its own right, and made funnier by the fact that it's mostly cheap gauzy fabric hanging over cardboard tubes)

Don't forget about Farscape, which is very good in its own way.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

:lol: yeah seriously. That show looked junky as poo poo from day.

Comparing Stargate to Star Wars is super dumb in the first place. One of them was some 90's movie that got a TV show spin off that was niche as hell and ran for like 10 years. The other is a series of movies that is super accessible with a lot of mainstream appeal. They also have very little in common. It's like saying "I don't get why they made so many Harry Potter movies when Law and Order is so much more believable"

Calling a science fiction series that ran for over 200 episodes and had multiple spinoff movies is not "niche as hell".

e: also two spinoff series for an additional 7 seasons.

wampalord you're fixating on the star wars comparison but my main beef is with star trek which you are conveniently ignoring completely.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Dec 16, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

I don't think he understands how unappealing stuff like Star Trek, Stargate, babylon 5, Farscape etc. is to the average person, because people that actually like those shows live in a bubble of people that actually watch them.

Babylon 5 and Farscape I'll concede that point on, but even my parents like SG-1 and they hate scifi stuff.

also I think they are planning reboot(s) of the original movie, but from what I heard the original movie guy is involved and wants it to ignore everything that was established in SG-1/atlantis so I am expecting it to be terrible.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 19:21 on Dec 16, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

hard counter posted:

farscape was good at doing its own thing but of all the low-rent sci fi shows i've watched, and i've probably watched them all, lexx is probably the most acquired taste of them all

Even I couldn't get into Lexx. It's just too much.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Power_of_the_glory posted:

Could Star Wars actually get a little more creative with their planets? If I see another desert world, I will scream.

Sorry, you're stuck with either ice planet, desert planet, or swamp planet. Or space station. That's it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Technocrat posted:

Stargate: Universe is my favourite of the various Stargate series.

Out of all the bad opinions posted in this thread, even mine, this is by far the worst and most offensive.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The news has never been "all serious topics, all the time". They report stories that people want to read. Fortunately most of the world isn't Tiggum and occasionally enjoys reading how their favorite sports team did or how the weather is or whatever.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

steinrokkan, you are categorically saying that the medium of comics is trashy in and of itself?

If he won't I will. Maybe I would use a different word, but trashy is good enough. Many comics are popular and successful, but only among children/teens (physical or mental). I am sure you are about to point to the ~adult~ comics and "graphic novels", but inserting the word "gently caress" every two words doesn't make it anything any self respecting adult should spend time reading.

Instead, perhaps they should enjoy the works of the great Stephen King.

e: additional unpopular opinion: the steam sale is nothing to get excited about and i can never relate to the "my wallet" jokes. Sure if a game you have been wanting is suddenly on sale then buy it, but usually any game worth buying is only discounted a few dollars and the most heavily discounted ones are things you will play a few hours and never touch again. Big deal.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 06:23 on Dec 24, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People write the same passionate defenses about their favorite animes, it doesn't make me more likely to watch/read them. I never denied that talented people don't write/draw comics, just that their intended audience isn't well-adjusted "normal" adults.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

From Hell, for example, is over 500 pages, in black and white, and about the police investigation (and freemasons and other stuff) of the Jack the Ripper murders in late 1800s London. The target audience is not teenagers, and there are no superheroes in it.

There are probably hundreds of texts about the same thing that have much more in depth and interesting information because they aren't hampered by having to draw everything and put all the text in speech bubbles.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Everything I like is for mature, reasonable adults and everything I don't like is for idiot thumb-sucking babies.

Finally someone gets it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Intoluene posted:

Just because graphic novels or comics are lighter reads than some books doesn't make them bad.

Part of maturity should be accepting childish things that you enjoy are enjoyable for a different reason than enjoying something "mature". Not every novel you read has to be War and Peace. Claiming that something done in someone else's leisure time is a waste makes you sound like a dumb teenager trying to act like an adult. If you don't like something, move on to something you do like.

You are either reading incorrect things into what I said or arguing with a made up person just so you can lecture people.

I said comics as a medium are trash because, while there are talented people and maybe even enjoyable comics in some way, they are inferior to standard books or even movies in telling a story. They try to do both and fail - take any comic and put the story in the hands of an equally talented novelist and the end product will be better, in my unpopular opinion.

As for maturity, no you don't need to read only the books you were assigned in the classics section. All I was trying to say is that the media you consume says something about you. If you read more comic books than other books and never shut up about comics and go to comic related events, I will consider you just as childlike as a 35 year old going to a harry potter convention for any other reason than "my kid really wanted to go".

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Some of them are legitimately enjoyable to read, but for the most part are better used as teaching tools, hence why most people only read them in school/college.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Hating an entire medium just because you think it makes you sound more mature is actually a pretty good indication that you are immature imao.

It's a good thing I dislike it for entirely different reasons then - namely, because it is bad.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Lol you are too good for the entire medium of comics but think it's a travesty that people don't respect Stargate SG1 or Babylon 5 or whatever enough. Seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

The distinction here is that SG1 is good while I have established that comics are bad. Keep up.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I guarantee someone has said the same thing about pretty much any year or era of music throughout the history of music. Music is the same as it always has been - some good, mostly forgettable/mediocre/bad.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Blue Star posted:

I disagree that music has been getting worse. Music was never good. Same goes for movies and literature.

I feel the same way about your posts.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, the obsession with getting everything the moment it comes out - be it movies, games, music - makes no sense. The world is flooded with preexisting entertainment you can enjoy in the meantime, why would you constrain yourself to watching stuff RIGHT AWAY instead at your leisure, whenever it becomes most convenient for you?

Maybe you want to participate in the conversations everyone you know is going to be having about it for the brief time after it comes out :shrug:? There's nothing wrong with waiting to see it especially if you're not enthusiastic about it, but it's not some bizarre impossible to understand phenomenon that some people prefer to see it as soon as they can. Haven't you ever really wanted to see a movie or play a new game? Why wait if you don't have to?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Unpopular opinion: trying to predict whether something is going to be popular later or not is a waste. Just wait and see. In its current form it's not interesting to anybody but diehard fans. You don't really gain anything by being an early adopter besides paying a lot more for something that isn't done yet. If you just wait for it to gain mass acceptance you get the benefit of paying a lot less and never being the guy with the useless HD-DVD player or a 3DO gathering dust.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Aramek posted:

That reminds me of all the people on the internet who have totally legitimate (wink wink) reasons they hate Kanye that have nothing to do with race (wink wink).

Racists have ruined the word uppity. Just flat out ruined it.

I hate Kanye solely because of the people who love him, they are incredibly obnoxious. Musically he's fine, but the people who love him are obsessed with pretty much everything but his music.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The main reason why people like the Kardashians and (at least in the past) Paris Hilton etc are so entrenched in public knowledge is the people who hate on them constantly more than the fans. The ratio of people spamming the internet with posts/articles about "why are the kardashians so popular? they are stupid and i hate them" and the people who love them and their various shows is probably 5:1.

If you really hate some pop-culture thing, stop talking about it and it will go away on its own.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The_Rob posted:

Why is his music awful yet his albums always get critical praise.

I think it is very clear by now that the reviewing industry in general whether it is music, movies, or literature, is a bought and paid for industry. If you paid your dues to the media and greased the right wheels, your mediocre movie is on the way to a guaranteed oscar nomination. Honest media is dead and it's never coming back.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I dunno man, don't you think, for instance, a film like Batman v Superman would have enough grease to spread around?

I'm talking about serious movies, not idiotic comic book movies. Any movie with "vs" in the title is doomed. It will still make money though because somehow hollywood convinced people that comic book movies = worth seeing so they will watch literally anything as long as it has the comic book logo on it. Batman vs Superman still grossed over 300 million dollars, and it's not because the movie was good.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

fruit on the bottom posted:

Any particular example you'd like to use to support your theory?

The Revenant.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

And to expand on that, a serious movie called Doctor Strange, about a wizard with with a pet cape, recently received 90% positive critic reviews, despite having less grease. It appears your premise has been debunked.

How is that serious at all? It was a goofy as poo poo movie about magic wizards and was barely above Harry Potter in terms of "seriousness". Any major comic movie is going to get hugely positive reviews because they know it will drive more people to go see them. If a relatively obscure movie gets 100% positive reviews it's not going to make nearly as much money as a new avengers movie that has a 97% positive rating backing it up.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

:ironicat:

So, if any major comic movie is going to get hugely positive reviews, why did Batman v Superman get smashed in reviews?

Because it was a poo poo movie. The review percentage doesn't matter. It still made hundreds of millions of dollars, which is not something any other non-comic book movie rated ~25% positive would have ever made. The negative reviews were part of the marketing, people thought "how could a movie with my favorites batman AND superman be bad?".

Besides, my point was more directed at oscar-bait movies. Movies with no merit that are only made to win awards. Name a best picture winner since 2002 that was actually a good to great movie.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The thing that bugs me is how defensive they get when you ask them to smoke their weed outside. They will insist up and down that the smell goes away and it hardly even smells like anything etc. These are usually the same people who don't take care of their cat very well but insist their house doesn't reek of cat piss.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

The only truly great comic book movie is Dredd.

Unpopular opinion, at least here: Judge Dredd was superior in every way to Dredd. It is also one of the only movies where Rob Schneider was a positive addition to the character list.

In the new one I don't even think he says "I am the law" ever. Come on. e: actually he does but he gets the tone all wrong.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 18:20 on Dec 31, 2016

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Video game stories are incredibly dull. I skip through any cinematics that let me and just want to beat the thing. Cheating is ok if you aren't good enough I guess. Most games I play are only worth playing the multiplayer version of, story mode is boring when you could beat a real person.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Jerry Cotton posted:

You only play bad games then :shrug:

It's almost like different people like different types of games and there is no objectively "good" game that everyone is going to enjoy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Choco1980 posted:

The weird thing if you read the comics is the revelation that both films are highly accurate, because both grimdark ultraviolence and goofy satirical slapstick happen all the time. Like, the two movies are different sides of the same coin here.

I never read the comics and have no desire to, I just think the first one is a better movie whether you know what a judge dredd is going in or not.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Beer is better than both and "wine pairings" are bullshit (to be fair, beer pairings are as well but that is more of a niche hipster thing). Wine is never a pleasant addition to a meal in my opinion.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Pick posted:

You say that, but the bottom-shelf vodka in the Czech Republic was like $3 a liter, and you do not want it

It can't be too much worse than Popov, which I find tolerable despite being under 10 dollars per 1.75L bottle. There's not much point in buying the ultra-cheap vodka unless you're homeless/destitute though since you can get legitimately good vodka for only 15-20 dollars a handle.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

veni veni veni posted:

Good Vodka's main bragging right is that it tastes slightly less like rubbing alcohol than cheap Vodka.

I saw that Alton Brown thing too but I wonder if it was that simple, why aren't cheap vodka companies just running it all through purifiers and wiping out the upscale brands?

I think a lot of cheaper vodkas do do it but it I think it comes down to mostly marketing. Most people who aren't biased going in will say a vodka like svedka, about 17 dollars a handle, is at least roughly on par with the top shelf stuff that costs 4 times as much. But it doesn't have a fancy bottle or name recognition so when people want to buy something to impress people with their "taste"+money they always reach for the grey goose, belvedere or ciroc even if they can't taste the difference.

Regarding tattoos, I don't have any and likely never will, but it's definitely not for moral reasons or "my body is a temple" or whatever. I think it is fine to make fun of peoples' tattoos as long as you aren't coming from that perspective - like with many things, a lot of people do make genuinely awful decisions on what tattoos to get and deserve to be laughed at (in a light-hearted way, unless it's like that pokemon hentai tattoo a goon (?) got across his whole arm).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The fact that they need to specify to drink it chilled makes me want to try it warm just to see why.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Regarding dogs, not neutering/spaying them is a sign of being "riff raff" as Jastiger likes to say. Also, there is absolutely no reason to buy/seek out a purebred dog unless it is bred specifically for a working task that you need it to do. Buying a purebred and/or "designer breed" as a family pet is idiotic.

Whether you paid 5000 dollars for your dog or 50 dollars to adopt them, get them fixed, we don't need more accidental puppies that will end up dead or in shelters. It puts me at odds with the attitude of pet owners I've met in europe. They don't have the same pet overpopulation problem as the US does, but still, why not get them fixed? It's a quick, cheap and simple operation and people who think it "ruins" the pet's personality are delusional.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I'll take an eggs benedict over biscuits and gravy any time, but I don't know how you can dislike the gravy unless it's the week-old microwaved slimy stuff they have at golden corral. I think if the biscuits were better at absorbing the gravy it would ruin the texture and make it just mush. Having a little bit of crispiness from the biscuits is essential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Gin and tonics are fine but the aftertaste of the tonic gets to me after a while. I always get the kind with quinine because whatever that stuff is saved my rear end in oregon trail 2 so many times so it must be good for you.