Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

You Are A Elf posted:

At least we can all agree that GTA: San Andreas had the best radio stations and music.

"Spit Game" by Pretty Ugly & Royce da 5'9" (GTA III) is my favorite song from the series, but Radio X is my favorite radio station. The Gen-X radio host parody was so spot on and hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

oldpainless posted:

Children's movies are for children

More like oldjoyless :colbert:

No, but honestly, you're right. One of my friends posted "Am I the only adult that wants to go see Moana?" and I told her that I might be the only adult in my friends circle who DOESN'T want to see it. I don't understand adult interest in children's media (Disney movies, Steven Universe, etc.).

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Dutch is the ugliest language in the world

Dutch is cute. Danish is the horrible one.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Clam Chowdown posted:

"More like old____less" replies are always terrible and people who continue to make them should be probated and banned.

More like oldhumorless :colbert:

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I always get a kick out of them

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 14:53 on Apr 24, 2017

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Munchables posted:

I prefer the cold and I don't like summer

Same.

Munchables posted:

Cold weather is better because if it's too cold you can layer against it and get all cozy, hot weather sucks because all you can do is take off your skin.

Thank you! How do so few people understand this?

I'm going on a cruise in three weeks to New England & Canada, and I look forward to the reprieve from the heat. (and lobsters).

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm going to laugh at "old[thing]less" jokes and loss edits probably forever. They never get old to me. :)

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

yeah I eat rear end posted:

This is goon blasphemy, I know, but the whole "shower beer" thing is stupid as hell. Yeah that's exactly what I want, a beer watered down by the hot shower water that gets splashed into it.

Oh my god I agree so much. I had a shower beer and it was so...not bad, just not even remotely necessary. The bottle was slippery, alternating between washing myself & drinking was unwieldy, there wasn't a good place to put my beer out of the way of the soap, and the shower made my beer warm. Taking a nice shower and having a beer as I dried off would have been infinitely nicer, but I just haaaad to try the shower beer. :sigh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Bob's Burger's is a boring, ugly cartoon.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Chocolate + mint is a gross combination.
Chocolate + fruit, also gross.

Chocolate is good with peanuts, hazelnuts, almonds, peanut butter, or espresso.

Gripweed posted:

All babies look the same.

Yes -- ugly.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Chocolate and orange rules though.

No.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Shibawanko posted:

it's only good with nuts or salt imo. i dont get why people think chocolate pairs with fruit flavors, it's a horrible combination

I don't either!

One time someone gave me a chocolate-covered strawberry, and I wanted to eat the strawberry, so I picked the chocolate off of it but there was chocolate stuck in the seed pits and I nearly threw up when I bit into it. My logic was faulty, I'll admit that.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

yeah and one time i ate taco bell and shat for a week and don't get me started on mayonnaise

I like mayonnaise.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I liked the Worst Episode Ever podcast, and I thought the weird gimmick characters that they created during episodes were funny.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The worst Simpsons episode is miles better than the best Futurama episode

How many Simpsons episodes have you seen, and how many Futurama episodes have you seen?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Then you haven’t seen the worst Simpsons episodes. I saw one from 2014 and it was easily one of the worst TV episodes I’ve ever seen (the episode of Allen Gregory I hatewatched was worse... but it was a near thing).

It was the Lena Dunham one, so it was this trifecta of over the top cameos (literally the entire main cast of girls), being a terrible “Homer and marge split up” episode, and an “it was all a dream” ending. It was painfully bad.

There was also an episode in which Moe's bar washrag becomes sentient and tells the audience a story, which I haven't seen but it seems almost universally

I watched every episode of Allen Gregory because it was a tire fire I couldn't look away from.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Rolo posted:

This is my favorite joke in the show.

That and when Brian meets the owner of where he was born. Guys is like “I see a lot of dogs, refresh my memory” and Brian says “I was the one who could talk” and the guys like BRIAN!

My favorite joke in the show has got to be the extended Maude sequence. I laughed out loud at the "Amelia Earhart flew a lot of airplanes, except for that one time when she didn't back" line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWUD7MBdDuo

docbeard posted:

Home Movies was a better show than any of those.

(You can tell this is an unpopular opinion because its ratings suuuuuuuuucked.)

I was too busy watching Metalocalypse and Assy McGee to get invested in anything else.

Gripweed posted:

I don't understand how anyone could have an opinion on The Cleveland Show. Either way, positive or negative. I would be equally confused by a person who loved The Cleveland Show as by a person who hated The Cleveland Show. How did that show create emotions in you?

My only opinions about The Cleveland Show are that it was creepy about underage girls (an extended shot of 15-year old Roberta exiting a pool while Cleveland's middle-aged friend ogles her, Cleveland's other middle-aged friends openly lusting after Cleveland Jr.'s 16-year old green card wife, for example), Rallo was stupid & annoying, and despite the fact that Mike Henry & Kevin Michael Richardson (especially the latter) are geniuses, the voice work was spotty enough for me to notice, which is exceedingly rare.

That's probably more opinions than anyone should have about The Cleveland Show.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Captain Monkey posted:

They REALLY wanted Rallo to be Huey from the Boondocks and Stevie from Family Guy and it just didn’t work.

Huey from the Boondocks isn't funny either.

Who Is Paul Blart posted:

American Dad is the best show on television.

:hmmyes:

fridge corn posted:

Did this show just miraculously get good somehow? I remember watching when it first came out and it was absolute garbage with dumb gimmick characters like the fish and the annoying alien guy

In a word, yeah. In more words,

* Stan evolved from a super outspokenly sycophantically politically conservative guy to a guy who's socially conservative & patriotic without an emphasis on politics, and they added a touch of insanity for good measure.
* Hayley evolved from a super outspokenly liberal stereotype (the opposite of Stan) to a pot-smoking liberal teenager who is lazy to the point of hypocrisy & comfortable to really do anything.
* Steve is Steve, but a bit more eager to please Stan and girl-crazy in a less creepy way. They gave him an Oedipal streak too, which is hit or miss, in my opinion.
* Roger wears disguises so that he can leave the house and intermingle with society in a way that people outside of the family (mostly) can't recognize.
* Klaus's backstory got fleshed out a little more, and they gave him slightly sociopathic tendencies, possibly to give them more of a reason not to put him back in a human body.

The Stan of Arabia two-parter is the only series of episodes that I haven't seen more than once so I can't really opine on them either way, but personally I think that The American Dad Afterschool Special is the first episode where the show started getting consistently good (even though there are episodes before then that I absolutely love -- A Smith in the Hand and Star Trek, for example).

tl;dr:

Gripweed posted:

kinda yeah. Eventually they figured out what to do with the alien

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Gripweed posted:

It's more than that, his personas are a really fantastic story telling tool. Whenever they need a character or to put the family in an unusual situation, they can just say "oh yeah Roger has been a high school teacher named Mr. Thaddeus Booklove for the past six months and is turning his troubled student's lives around by getting them to put on a production of the HMS Pinafore, but the opening night is going to be sabotaged by the local drug dealer, Honky Sassafras, who doesn't want to lose the students as customers. Honky Sassafras is also Roger"

Those are great names. :haw: And yeah, Roger can be involved in any situation, something that they've lampshaded on at least one occasion (that episode where Stan is like "I'm gonna get there and it's gonna be you, isn't it?" and Roger goes "Strong possibility" and then it turned out that he was only the secretary -- administrative assistant :colbert: -- of the guy who it actually was).

Also, Honky Sassafras sounds like Kevin Ramage.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Yellow Starbursts are the best Starbursts.
Do Si Dos are the best Girl Scout cookies.
Kettle corn is an abomination.
edit: Fake cutesy cat/dog language is utterly annoying and stupid.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Queen is a great band but if most of your exposure to them is We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions and Bohemian Rhapsody, it’s a perfectly reasonable response to assume they suck.

The only Queen song I've heard and enjoyed is Don't Stop Me Now. Bohemian Rhapsody is torture.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

comedy bands are good in this order and only this order:

Lol at the idea of a comedy band being good.

Tiggum posted:

Absolutely nothing will ever convince me that Hamilton is any different to the incredibly lame educational plays they forced us to watch in school that were put on by well-meaning theatre enthusiasts trying to make education engaging for teens.

My mom and I watched Hamilton on Disney+, and we were just sort of...baffled. It felt like a super long Schoolhouse Rock bit, the songs were shockingly repetitive & drawn out, Lin Manuel Miranda has no charisma or stage presence, and the costumes look like dollar store Halloween costumes. It felt like I was wading through quicksand.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

silence_kit posted:

Ween is good, but I think because they are good they transcend the category 'comedy band'.

The only thing I know about Ween is the shoe-tying song they did for Spongebob, which was fine in the context of the episode.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Increased storage and better camera and poo poo are nice, but I didn't need a larger phone with no buttons. I swear half of tech designers are just paid to come up with needless sidegrades.

My work computer, a MacBook, has these shallow rear end buttons that are basically half a step away from touchscreen. They quickly vacillate between unresponsive, OVERresponsive, and regular responsive, so you'll get sentences like "I tlked ooon thephonewith my moomm." I bought an adapter and hooked an old USB keyboard up to it because buttons are good and tactile response is good.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

3D Megadoodoo posted:

People who appreciate Calvin & Hobbes are the same people who think Rick & Morty is good.

I've never seen Rick & Morty, but my god Calvin & Hobbes is such a drag. I always scrolled past it in the BSS thread.

Here's another unpopular opinion: I love "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons.

Also, one of my friends thinks Matthew McConaughey is super hot, and I just don't see it on any level.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Understanding & liking something are two very different things.

edit: welp, missed a reference

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 15:14 on Jul 17, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

hawowanlawow posted:

what problem could you possibly have with Calvin and Hobbes?

silence_kit posted:

I like Calvin & Hobbes, but I could understand how someone would think that it is boring, or wouldn't like it.

Thank you. I find it boring and it also seems geared toward children, in a way that a lot of people seem to find nostalgic if they read it as children. I saw more than a few "haha I loved this arc so much"-style comments in BSS, which is where my nostalgia hypothesis comes from.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Pretty sure McConaughey is a standard Hollywood lib. I’m a straight man but he seems typically handsome.

That's the thing -- he seems straight guy hot. Straight guys see handsomeness in their own way that doesn't include fuckability. I'm a heterosexual woman and he's just...well, he clearly takes care of his appearance, but otherwise, he's just there. That's part of why I was surprised that my heterosexual female friend thinks he's so utterly sexy.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

There are no good US strips about children. No, not even new Nancy, that's just a lame poo poo knock-off Mafalda.

e: I forgot about Peanuts. The first strip of Peanuts is probably the best that any strip ever could be.

I was about to go on a rant about how big of a pain in the rear end Ruthie is until I realized that Peanuts != One Big Happy. :doh: I can't think of any comics with child protagonists that I really like, rather than just tolerating.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
As nice as the NYC metal scene is, I can't imagine living in Helsinki and being surrounded by amazing metal bands at all times.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Gripweed posted:

People who make "wrong answers only" tweets should lose the right to vote.

Are those people even OLD enough to vote?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
The Jurassic Bark episode of Futurama is overrated & cloying.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

doverhog posted:

All of Futurama is meh at best.

I like pre-cancelation Futurama, but Jurassic Bark was by far my least favorite episode of that era. Also, I think I liked the idea of a holophoner more than I actually liked The Devil's Hands Are Idle Playthings, because I hate Fry & Leela as a couple.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I was mostly constantly stoned back then and even then that show was dire

See, when I'm stoned, I laugh really hard at even the slightest comedy. However, I had a minor freakout while watching Tom Goes to the Mayor with friends because they were laughing like it was the funniest thing in the world and I couldn't find any humor whatsoever in it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

the eye phone/Susan Boyle episode was dire.

Aaaaaaaaaggghhhh please don't remind me that this episode, the one that finally got me to stop watching, ever existed. I mean, for gently caress's sake, it ended with Leela apologizing to Fry about something he did to her (I no longer remember), and then hugging him even though he smelled like goat vomit. Bleh. Horrible.

hawowanlawow posted:

the Futurama episodes after they brought it back are really, really fuckin bad

almost as bad as that fantasy show he made, god drat

Fantasy show?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Disenchantment. It has its moments but one of the main characters is fuckin’ unbearable and ruins the whole thing.

Ah, I thought you were talking about a Futurama episode where Fry created a fantasy show. :doh:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
That reminds me -- Windows Phone is awesome.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

I had two of them and I really liked them. Not a lot of apps but the actual phone itself was great both times.

I also had two of them. I got an Android when I realized that apps were cool.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Captain Monkey posted:

The best are the good gimmick accounts like oldpainless and tobleronetiangular.

oldpainless is a gimmick? I thought oldpainless was oldgimmickless and that we just decided to make name jokes independently.

TobleroneTriangular was a loving mastermind though. A purestrain mastermind.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Manager Hoyden posted:

Bojack Horseman isn't very good it turns out. I heard for a long time that it was really well written but it turns out it is another dumb adult cartoon designed to appeal to the typical adult cartoon watcher.

I thought Bojack was decent until it got swallowed up its own rear end and started writing dialogue that was seemingly meant to be quotable more than it was meant to progress the story. The last episode I enjoyed was the one where Sarah Lynn (I think that's her name) dies.

See, this is the kind of bullshit I'm talking about. (edit note: this is not, in fact, the bullshit that I was talking about and I still don't have any concrete examples of what I mean.)

Anyway, I think Baby Yoda is ugly & creepy.

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 14:14 on Aug 11, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Captain Monkey posted:

So you didn't finish this episode or the thread where other posters explained that the episode itself actually attacks the message in the text and shows it to be hollow?

No, I never saw this episode, nor did I see the other posts. Sorry. :downs: :cripes:

I still don't like the show but I admit that I grasped at the wrong straw there.

edit:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The idea that you can’t be an adult and still play pokémon on your day off or whatever is boomerbrained “live to work” nonsense

This, as well as the idea that you have to be either productive or exhausted. Leisure is a good thing.

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 14:18 on Aug 11, 2020

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Solice Kirsk posted:

Leisure is the best thing. I've been on vacation and literally the only things I've done in four days has been: drinking, consuming edible marijuana, snuggling up with my girlfriend while watching seemingly endless amounts of hockey, and I had a big family dinner on Sunday. I do have to go to the store today because I'm cooking us dinner tonight, but right after that it's gonna be right back to hockey and booze and sex.

Leisure time is awesome.

The realization that I could replace butter with weed butter in literally anything took way too long to hit me. I've been eating cosmic oatmeal on the weekends ever since, because I'm too lazy to make brownies.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Solice Kirsk posted:

:respek: My girlfriend made me pancakes with pot infused coconut oil. I got high on pancakes.

Wow, I completely forgot that coconut oil can be used for things other than hair & skin. Still, that sounds delicious.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
This, and also anti-vaxxers (and their poor doomed children).

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Massachusetts>New York.

If we're talking about the whole state, probably. I like New England food though -- give me all the lobster/crab dishes and blueberry cocktails I can consume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

New England food does indeed rule. The only place in MA that isn’t solidly better than the majority of MA is Worcester. Maaaaybe Lowell.

Western Massachusetts should secede so that the rest of the US can bomb it into oblivion without committing treason. What a complete waste of land.