Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Henchman of Santa posted:

PHUO: Luke Cage really dragged. All the Marvel Netflix shows do because their episode counts are too high, but I just found LC to be uncompelling in general most of the time even though I liked Daredevil and JJ quite a bit.

My PHUO: I really dislike the Hand on the Marvel Netflix shows. It seems incredibly cheeseball, and I hate that we will have three different seasons of it spanning three different shows. Plus, it seems like they can't decide what the Hand is - Daredevil has them being uber-ninja, Iron Fist had them being a paramilitary martial arts cult. I'm sure that it will be even more ridiculous on Defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Aramek posted:

I don't know why it is actually illegal, but I believe all people are property of The State, and so The State has a vested interest in not allowing people to kill themselves.

This is why you have to become a sovereign citizen. The government can’t stop you from killing yourself if your name is ALL CAPS and there is/is not fringes on the flag outside of their precinct.

Nerd content: none of the Next Generation Star Trek films were great, but of them, Insurrection and Generations were the most like what ST:TNG was. It’s easy to picture either as being part of the series.

First Contact was fun, but pretty bog-standard action-adventure. Nemesis is what happens when you let a fanboy take the reins and basically have to bribe half your cast to do it at all.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

mojo1701a posted:

From what I remember, this was a part of it, too. In the original draft, Picard was on Earth trying to get the Phoenix to work while Riker was on board fighting the Borg. Stewart asked for the switch.

There’s a reason there’s a largely superfluous chunk of Nemesis where Picard drives around a dune buggy.

Another nerd PHUO: Star Trek ‘09 and it’s sequels, and Disney shitcanning the Star Wars EU, were exactly what their respective franchises needed.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

PHUO: The Hobbit movies weren't just awful, they retroactively ruined the good LotR movies. Fellowship alone could make me overlook a mountain of criticisms of the later two movies but now I can't see Orlando Bloom or comic relief Gimli or Sir Ian as Gandalf without seeing PS3 cutscene love triangles and stupid sexy Thorin and GandalfxGaladriel. I'd watch an Attack of the Clones threepeat before sitting through the Hobbit trilogy again

LOTR PHUO: Fellowship is the only good LOTR movie, it was more accessible for not having Tom Bombadil show up, and every movie following was more and more Green Screen FMV: The Movie.

And in that last way, they are really similar to the prequel trilogy. Directors finally got the power to basically do whatever the gently caress they wanted in post, and there was a period where they were doing it really badly. poo poo like Clone Troopers being entirely CG for no reason, or making Ian McKellen break down as he had to act to a set made almost entirely of green boxes.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

In the sense that they're more likely to kill black people than white people. So the latter, I suppose

https://twitter.com/StreetsblogUSA/status/1103737529952583684

Any autonomous driving system that relies solely on image recognition will have this problem, and is comically irresponsible. Gotta have depth analysis of some kind (LIDAR, etc.).

The article, once you get past the clickbait headline, even states that the research wasn’t done with any actual autonomous driving platform, just with image recognition. And we’ve known such systems are racist for a long while - there are frequently articles about facial recognition systems failing, especially for black people. That’s why Apple’s FaceID system uses depth analysis as well.

That being said, I get the impression that a lot of the engineers and companies involved in autonomous driving are running with a “move fast and break things” philosophy that shouldn’t be applied to anything that can drive a hundred miles an hour and weighs a ton.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Tubgoat posted:

Also, those kids need better face memory, it's kind of a massive faux pas to solicit the same person 5 times in the same 20-minute grocery store visit.

I helped run popcorn sales for the cub scouts - basically the same thing, but with even more unjustifiable prices. It is a hard loving sell for a second grader to convince an adult to buy a $20 bag of semi-stale popcorn.

Anyway, the secret for making sure your kids don’t beg from the same stranger twice is to align your table parallel to the doors instead of perpendicular. That way, they’re only really making eye contact with people going one direction.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

spit on my clit posted:

burying your dead is a religious institution that spans just about every religion, and some religions don't allow you to donate your body to medical science/donate your organs. to restrict those religious practices and beliefs would be horribly offensive to just about 90% of the world.

I think when your opinion starts with the premise that the dead are a waste of space, an appeal to religion is unlikely to change their mind.

It is, indeed, an unpopular opinion.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

docbeard posted:

The Star Trek theme, at least TOS, has lyrics too.

Lyrics that Gene Roddenberry only wrote in order to dick the theme’s composer, Alexander Courage, out of royalties.

Look at this garbage:

Gene Roddenberry, probably after cheating on his wife posted:

Beyond
The rim of the star-light
My love
Is wand'ring in star-flight
I know
He'll find in star-clustered reaches
Love,
Strange love a star woman teaches.
I know
His journey ends never
His star trek
Will go on forever.
But tell him
While he wanders his starry sea
Remember, remember me.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

The original Langoliers movie is one of the best King adaptations. better than Pet Cemetery, better than It. The only thing that drags it down is the absolute dogshit CGI on the langoliers. A modern remake would fix that

Let’s just give the original the George Lucas treatment and redo the CGI.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

The Scientist posted:

Pierce Brosnan was the best James Bond and Goldeneye was the best James Bond movie ever made

This is not the thread for Good and Correct Opinions.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
PHUO: Star Trek: Insurrection was the TNG film most faithful to the spirit of TNG, closely followed by Generations.

First Contact was basically TNG’s take on Aliens, but really had little to do with TNG, and Nemesis was...a mess.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

doverhog posted:

I wanna see if Picard addresses how Janeway used time travel to destroy the Borg, using a virus from the future.

The second episode of Picard has a character expressing concern that the Borg would be interested in the derelict Cube the Romulans are stripping for parts. Another character reassured them that the Borg have abandoned it. So it sounds like the Borg are still an issue.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

coronavirus posted:

The Borg are immoral computerized space vampires and should be exterminated without consideration of any Geneva convention, just like you'd kill termites eating a house or spyware toolbars on your Windows 98 PC.

This fucker wants to kill BonziBuddy.

It’s Harambe all over again.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

blatman posted:

the only smart tattoo is a QR code that goes to a domain you run so you can change the gifs hosted there as your tastes evolve, anything else is living too dangerously

Until your domain registration gets sniped and you are now advertising BIG rear end LATINA TEENS and LESBIAN LOVING TREXES or, even worse, an Under Construction GoDaddy parked domain template.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

Netflix is implementing a new feature that lets people watch shows faster, like make the show sped up so they can watch the show more quickly. If you use that feature and speed up the shows so you can watch them faster, then you shouldn't be allowed to make decisions for yourself. That is such a profoundly and obviously wrong thing to do that if you do it, then clearly it would be much better for you if there was a person who made all your decisions for you so you don't make mistakes like that anymore.

Nah, being able to set the playback rate is actually a pretty good thing for accessibility.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The worst part of Bojack Horseman were those journalists who talked like caricatures of 1920s beat reporters. They were just so loving tiresome, and it was obvious the writers thought they were Very Clever.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Can we agree that time zones are good but Daylight Saving Time is bad?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

I'm pretty sure I mentioned earlier that PS3 level graphics were more than good enough, there's no real reason to invest resources into making games look better than the best looking PS3 games.

I've had some time to think, and I'd like to expand on that. While it si absolutely true that any resources spent on making games look better has been a complete waste, it's doubly tragic because there is one area where video games really did need to advance, and instead have stagnated. I am of course talking about destructable environments. Whatever extra power these new consoles have, it would only be valuable if it was used to make the environments in games destuctable, and more realistically destructable. The fact that the PS5 and Xbox The New Xbox are going to launch with games featuring building you can't destroy is an absolute travesty. Imagine if video game designers had spent the past ten years instead of chasing ray-traced lighting or motion bloom or whatever other meaningless shiny gew gaws, had been figuring out how to design thrilling action adventure games where you can simply smash through any wall with a big hammer. Or a new Hitman where most assassinations could be achieved simply by collapsing whatever building your target was in. Think about how much better video games would be, and how much more enjoyable they would be to play.

Peter Molyneux outing himself here on the SA Forums!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

The only value regular M&Ms have is in baking. As a standalone candy, there's no point to them. Move regular M&Ms to the baking aisle and allow Peanut M&Ms to take their place as the default M&M.

Wrong. Peanut Butter M&Ms are the superior M&M.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

Did I say peanut M&Ms are the best M&Ms? No I loving didn't. I said they should be the default M&M. Which they should. They have M&M seniority over later M&M variants.

:hmmyes:

Fair enough.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

I would also like a stern lady cop to be redden my behind if I've been a bad boy, and believe that this should be made public policy.

Captain Monkey posted:

Please make the town watch the stern, uniformed woman redden my behind when I have been naughty.

You know that if any cop is going to volunteer for caning duty, it’s going to be a fat, bald, white man who’ll barely even hit you unless you’re black. Then, he’ll confuse his handgun and his cane and murder you.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
If you want to argue that mandatory helmet laws largely just give cops another excuse to harass poor and nonwhite people, I’m right there.

But complaining that you have to deal with the inconvenience of carrying a helmet around and that it’s uncomfortable is the same BS that irresponsible motorcyclists try to justify their bad decisions with, and the only real difference there is that motorcycles allow you to have accidents at a higher rate of speed.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Both the Borg and cylon virus plans were genocide, and putting them into motion would have made Starfleet and the human colonists no better than their enemies. Picard was right not to infect Hugh with the virus, and Helo was right to stop the cylon virus scheme before it could be executed.

Setting BSG aside, the bigger question prompted by the Borg and Picard’s handling of them is during TNG is a doozy - is genocide ever the pragmatic solution to genocide?

Humans are, to the Borg, Species 5618, with first contact in approximately the year 2356. By the year 2375, the Borg had made it to Species 10026. In almost 20 years, the Borg had encountered over 4,400 sentient species, and doubtlessly assimilated many of them. In short, if Picard had infected Hugh in 2368, would he have prevented possibly a thousand (and counting!) genocides? It’s literally the trolly problem.

Arguably, this is why the Borg subplot in Star Trek: Picard is so important. It proved that Hugh and Picard and Seven and the space tweens weren’t outliers - anyone could be saved. Killing a Borg is murder, and to inflict genocide against the Borg is to finalize the genocide of all the cultures it has enslaved.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
In the Before Times when my son attended karate practice, one of the other parents consistently wore only RHCP-branded shirts.

It’s a degree of dedication that is admirable, if not necessary advisable.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

I've seen multiple people say something along the lines of "Whoa whoa whoa, there's enough troubling stuff in the Armie Hammer story without needing to bring up the cannibalism stuff. Let's focus on the grooming and power dynamics, no need to suggest that it's somehow wrong to be aroused by the fantasy of killing and eating a woman".

Either the 'no kinkshaming' movement has gone insane of there's a lot more people out there who are sexually aroused by the thought of killing and eating a woman than I would've guessed

I think the issue is that if the focus of the stories is “Lol this Hollywood pretty man wants to eat people”, the story will not be taken very seriously.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Who asked for Wandavision?

I’m enjoying it, but I suspect it’ll end up suffering the same fate as Marvel’s other MCU-adjacent TV series - it’ll be supplementary, and thus inconsequential.

I think a lot of hay has been made over these new TV ventures being “part of” the MCU, versus the leftovers thrown Agents of SHIELD and the scattershot references made in the Netflix stuff. But I don’t think anyone honestly believes this is “required viewing” to understand anything that’ll hit a movie theater.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Vandar posted:

It's directly tied to the Dr. Strange sequel and is supposed to help set it up. The D+ Marvel shows are definitely not just going to be supplemental and Marvel's made that pretty clear at this point.

I’m pretty skeptical that Feige will release a film to the theaters that requires you to watch five hours of a show featuring the least developed Avengers characters in order to make sense. My guess is that it just tees up Wanda as being someone who can manipulate the multiverse, and after two minutes of exposition in his movie, Strange is either tasked with reining her in or teaming up with her. In short, the show will be enriching, but not required viewing.

But I’m hoping I’m wrong, and you’re right. MCU-adjacent ventures suffered from having to play on the fringes.

Vandar posted:

Part of why Falcon and Winter Soldier hasn't aired yet is apparently because it's tied into the eternally delayed Black Widow movie and a major character from that is a part of the series.

Now this I totally buy, because they don’t want to spoil their movie. Though my potentially unpopular opinion there is that they should just cut their losses and do a Mulan-style release for it.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

fizzymercy posted:

I also think chromebooks belong in the garbage but that's just me whining.

IMO, Chromebooks of today are like netbooks were - you can get a good one, but at that point you might as well buy something that isn’t a glorified web browser.

I’m probably jaded from the lovely Chromebooks my son’s school distribute, though. The things are built like they’re Happy Meal toys and as responsive as a patient coding on an operating table. Every time I use one I can’t help but think that I’d rather be using my laptop from 2004.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
That sure is something offal.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think almost every office job would be more efficient/effective if everyone got a private office. And not those "modern" private offices with glass walls with no blinds.

This is “Post Your Personally Held Unpopular Opinion,” not “Post Your Personally Held Unpopular Fact.”

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Actually this is the best potato chip/crisp:

You can tell it is the best because they have demanded retailers sell the product for only two dollars, when they could charge ten times that.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

The animation in the first Toy Story doesn't hold up very well. Movie looks kinda lovely.

I think for the majority of the characters, the toys, it does just fine. But anything organic is nightmare fuel until at least Toy Story 3.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
In my opinion, Agile works if and only if you have no restrictions on A: timelines and B: budget. If either of those comes into play, the end result is a product that everyone’s agreed to, but no one is happy with.

I used to chalk it up to never having experienced “Agile done right,” but if it’s so drat easy to do wrong, maybe that’s just as much an indictment of the thing.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Silent hill is resident evil for wankers

But what is Resident Evil’s stance on circumcision?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Comedy answer:

Shortsighted infrastructure informed by a lowest-bidder buying process that unintentionally-but-kind-of-intentionally “others” the students and staff that often end up populating them.

Real answer:

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
To be fair, the circle of people who fantasize about “justifiably” murdering people with a car fits entirely in the circle of gun owners on a Venn diagram.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Gripweed posted:

Sports should be mandatory in school. All students should have to be involved in a team sport throughout elementary, middle, and high school.

Well, making something mandatory is a fantastic way to make teens hate something and use any excuse to avoid doing it, so I endorse this as a solution to overspending in high school and collegiate athletics programs.

Eventually every teen will just be spending an hour a day playing Frisbee Golf, instructed by the hippy history teacher who spends most of the year in the classroom covering the history of Vietnam protest movements and doesn’t care if you sneak off to smoke pot.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
gently caress, pull up from helmet chat. PULL UP.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Unkempt posted:

Horse poo poo smells quite nice though and is useful as fertilser, unlike dog poo poo which is really extraordinarily unpleasant and poisonous.

Post Your Personally Held Unpopular Opinion: Horse poo poo smells quite nice though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Model work is far superior to CGI. Dunno if that's an unpopular opinion or not, but if you look at the models for something like Star Trek II, made almost 40 years ago, it holds up far better than CGI made even four years ago.

People complain about ST:TMP’s pacing, but every beauty shot of that ship was earned.