Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

You Are A Elf posted:

At least we can all agree that GTA: San Andreas had the best radio stations and music.

Related to this, but I wish games would stop using licensed music and actually put some of their monumental budget set aside for licensing to actually create or even pay dudes to create in world music for the games.

Using licensed music, for the most part, is a cheap way of creating an emotional connection to the game world based on people's attachment to the music.

The GTA games were the best when they actually had dudes creating media for their own alternate world, like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi6x3MCjBaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYy69qOJWoM

I'd much rather they did stuff like this again as opposed to selling my record collection back to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

You Are A Elf posted:

Or, you know, setting the mood, environment, and era of the game. But seriously, that's exactly the purpose of using licensed music, especially when using it in a period piece. I don't find it cheap at all.

GTA isn't really a period piece, though. If we're to believe Rockstar and GTA itself, it isn't even set in this reality.

I remember being impressed the first time I played GTA4 for all of about 10 minutes until I was driving along and Back in the New York Groove came on the radio. That would be an appropriate and cool song, if New York existed in the GTA world. It was sort of at that point when I realised they really don't give a gently caress anymore.

You want to know how they could get talent throwing themselves at them to populate their world with original material? Tell people they can have their music/writing/other art project seen by millions of people all around the world. You'd get people willing to adopt any persona in game to have that opportunity.

I guess it is safer to use established stuff, though.