Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
:bsdsnype:

the only appropriate nickname convention is hamwinging latin characters into cyrillic to give them proper russian names:
Charmander: UYWKNH
Caterpie: CTAJINH
Spearow: JIEHNH

some of those are upside-down, abused backwards close enoughs, or multiple letters used to make one, but you should get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Pokemon We Got:

Our baby Caterpie has now grown up to become a Butterfree. Oh and also it was a Metapod for a short time too i guess

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Huh, I guess they fixed that for Yellow. I distinctly remember my Butterfree (Pewter Gym MVP for life :hf:) having Harden when it evolved. Not surprised that it was changed, though; they made a lot of move set alterations between RGB and Yellow.

Also: Confusion is also good because it hits the Special stat, which Geodude and Onix don't have a lot of. It helps when you just bypass their stupid high-for-the-level defense entirely.

So how difficult was it to flip Viridian Forest like that? At least, I think it's mostly just horizontally flipped, I could be wrong, I haven't played a Gen 1 game in ages.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Like Clockwork posted:

Huh, I guess they fixed that for Yellow. I distinctly remember my Butterfree (Pewter Gym MVP for life :hf:) having Harden when it evolved. Not surprised that it was changed, though; they made a lot of move set alterations between RGB and Yellow.

Also: Confusion is also good because it hits the Special stat, which Geodude and Onix don't have a lot of. It helps when you just bypass their stupid high-for-the-level defense entirely.

So how difficult was it to flip Viridian Forest like that? At least, I think it's mostly just horizontally flipped, I could be wrong, I haven't played a Gen 1 game in ages.

So fun fact I just learned: In Pokémon Yellow, Metapod learns Harden at level 1 and level 7! (Redundant learning like that happens a lot throughout the series) But Kakuna doesn't. That's a little weird. You can't catch Weedle or Kakuna in Yellow, though, so it doesn't really matter too much.

Also it was annoying as hell

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

I just realized that using Butterfree against a rock gym would be a terrible idea if this was any other game. Gen 1 was weird.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Like Clockwork posted:

It's for this reason that Charmander isn't all that bad against Brock. He gets the STAB with Ember and it deals decent damage because it hits Special.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Sorry about the hiatus, holiday season was a little more frantic than I anticipated.

Pokemon We Got:

Magikarp. It sucks.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

:ohdear:

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

This LP is a treasure and everyone should watch the third episode all the way though.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

So glad this is back. I'm sure that the scientist is fine and this has no implications for the main playthrough.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I'm getting the feeling that Red's adventure had a late start.

I wonder if the full team will need an electric or ground type more.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Color Printer, no comments on the Space Shuttle Columbia just sitting there in a museum?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

Color Printer, no comments on the Space Shuttle Columbia just sitting there in a museum?

Uh, model. Definitely a model. Please don't touch.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Color Printer posted:

Uh, model. Definitely a model. Please don't touch.

:ssj:

I touched it. I'm sorry!

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Jade Rider posted:

Charmander: Agumon
Caterpie: Margarine
Spearow: Steve

:five:

My first pokemon game was yellow, so I some of this is new to me. It definitely feels a lot more raw and unpolished than I remember Yellow being.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
You know, I really feel "You broke into my house, here's some advice" guy was a little too heavy handed in his advice. Then again, this has always been a series for children, so having super-simple writing is kinda forgivable.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Pokemon We Got:

Geodude. He's real and strong, and he's my friend.

Paras. He kinda sucks actually I don't know why I caught him

Clefairy. Can learn Metronome which turns it into a walking RNG.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Mount Moon is not too bad if you go straight to the end, but it's a lot bigger when you're not watching someone else do it.

In particular, I remember a few times when I ground Magikarp up to level 10 or 15 in Mount Moon's entrance area. Grueling, but sadly better than alternative grinding spots and worth it in the end. Too bad it can't learn water moves naturally until endgame levels, but that's what TMs are for.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

For the record, I did not grind Magikarp because I was sick and tired of grinding everyone else up and also I have better idea for leveling it.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

It's nice to go down memory lane like this.
I still think it was a real bad design choice to give that guy a level 16 raticate, though.

The Watercrown
Feb 10, 2014

We Shall Become Gods

We Shall Become Gods

WE SHALL ALL DIE AND BECOME AS GODS
I think I know why they give team Rocket Zubats (and by extension, why the encounter rate and variety is the way it is in caves)

By the time you reach the grunt with the zubat, you'll have been wandering around aimlessly for ages, every few steps interrupting you progress with a forced encounter against a flying annoyance. You hate zubats. You loathe them. You just want to punch them in their eyeless faces. And then, it turns out Team Rocket love to use Zubats.

It's rather basic associative psychology. The villain uses a thing you hate, thus you hate the villain even more.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Uuugh, sleep status used to be so good. When the game first came out, I actually liked Mt. Moon. I was a stupid kid.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

So it turns out I forgot something! Oops! I need nicknames for the following Pokemon:

Magikarp. Please pick something befitting of the monster it will one day become.

Geodude.

Paras.

And Clefairy.

I will accept nicknames for these four Pokemon until sometime early Saturday. Nicknames for Charmander Charmeleon, Spearow, and Butterfree are no longer being accepted.

Also here's another video I don't remember making or uploading:

experiment

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Magikarp - Leviat

Geodude - Quarry

Paras - Spore

Clefairy - Mina

Looks like Bill might not be getting off so easy this time. Kinda interesting that he's working with a Clefairy (like the remake), rather than a Nidoran (best match for the sprite) or Rattata (like the manga).

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Karp - Chungo
Geo - creg (sic)
Paras - Dwamp
Clefairy - Bubsy

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Magikarp - Mr Flops (or Mr. Fish... I guess)

SystemLogoff fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 16, 2017

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Magikarp - Mr. Fish

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Paras: Sakura
or Paras: Chiyo

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Magikarp - Kaiju

Geodude - Rowdy

Paras - Lich

Clefairy - Harmony

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Magikarp - Nubbins. Or Fluffy.
e: Geodude - THX OBAMA

On the video: you cannot grasp the true form of SCIENTIST's attack?

Like Clockwork fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Feb 17, 2017

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Magikarp - Falkor
Geodude - Barack (or Barock, I guess.)
Paras - Joel
Clefairy - Usagi

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Magikarp: Tempest
Geodude: Rocky IV
Paras: Deadeye
Clefairy: Random.EXE

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Magikarp - Typhoon

Geodude - BenGrimm

Paras - Shrooms

Clefairy - CuzISlay

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Magikarp - Steve
Geodude - Fluffles
Paras - Cordy
Clearfairy - AMkAfullXi

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Name the Magikarp PIZZAHUT.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Sorry about that, meant to get this out on the weekend but I had to fix some stuff.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That rare pokemon fight, uh, didn't quite fit the rest of the art style. Strange choices by Nintendo.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'm concerned about Bill and his situation. I think he needs to lock his door in the future. You know, after his current circumstances are uh resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Um. There seems to have been some odd issues with your recording at the end. I dunno, something just seemed really off with the video?

• Locked thread