Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

Junk posted:

I unironically enjoy Thing Fish.

It took me a couple of listen throughs to appreciate this album. It's not for the faint of heart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Cool thing:

Frank Zappa composed the score for The World's Greatest Sinner four years before Freak Out!

It's actually a legitimate score. There's a little bit of rock/guitar stuff, but most of his music was orchestral stuff.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
This thread got me listening to Zappa again, but unfortunately there's a lot of homophobia in Zappa's lyrics that is uncomfortable to listen to by more enlightened modern standards.

In songs like Broken Hearts Are For Assholes and Bobby Brown, Zappa describes characters that are huge assholes and the underlying reason for their character flaws is the fact that they are closeted homosexuals. When they are exposed to the world, and perhaps themselves, as homosexuals, it's not presented as a positive turning point where the person is better for being able to live openly, but more of a proof/explanation for why the person was an rear end in a top hat in the first place.

It's kind of like when you find out Thomas Jefferson owned slaves.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

NotWearingPants posted:

This thread got me listening to Zappa again, but unfortunately there's a lot of homophobia in Zappa's lyrics that is uncomfortable to listen to by more enlightened modern standards.

In songs like Broken Hearts Are For Assholes and Bobby Brown, Zappa describes characters that are huge assholes and the underlying reason for their character flaws is the fact that they are closeted homosexuals. When they are exposed to the world, and perhaps themselves, as homosexuals, it's not presented as a positive turning point where the person is better for being able to live openly, but more of a proof/explanation for why the person was an rear end in a top hat in the first place.

It's kind of like when you find out Thomas Jefferson owned slaves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLRIPPa5Qw

• Locked thread