Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

GreenMarine posted:

Battle report! Tonight I played two matched play games against a friend's minotaur list.

Legit not asking this to be a smug dickhead, but how on Earth do you transport those things with gigantic gossamer wings? Or do you just play exclusively at your home?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Drone posted:

Legit not asking this to be a smug dickhead, but how on Earth do you transport those things with gigantic gossamer wings? Or do you just play exclusively at your home?

Like this:

I drill a 1/8" hole in the bottom of the base (these are solid resin bases) and put in a 1/8" magnet. The case contains racks with metal plates. The models don't move at all when transported. The stormcast are a sort of worst case army to transport because of the 40mm bases, so this case will carry 72 stormcast models.

It carries a poo poo ton of 40k models.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
:staredog:

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Also, the tablewar case is great for storing large armies out of the way where my wife won't get so annoyed...

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

GreenMarine posted:

Battle report! Tonight I played two matched play games against a friend's minotaur list.

First game was Escalation. I fielded 10 retributors, 2 units of judicators, and a vexillor. He had 3 units of bulls, 1 doombull, and 1 gorgon. In this mission there are 3 objectives diagonally distributed. Territories are diagonal. 1/3rd your list starts on the board and the rest come in on turn 2 along any board edge you control.

Turn 1: I began the game with judicators on the field and he had the gorgon and a unit of bulls. His gorgon advanced toward the middle objective and the bulls towards the top field objective. I lined up shots on both units. I probably should have focused the gorgon, but splitting fire worked out in the long run.

Turn 2: He brought his other units onto the board and advanced in force toward the top objective. The gorgon failed a charge on my archers (it was a long charge attempt) and so didn't manage to score the middle. He scored the top. My units all came on during the command phase and I used the Vexillor's power to teleport the Retributors behind his mass of bulls. On the charge I wiped out a squad of bulls and the doom bull.

Turn 3: He counter charged wiping out the Retributors. I proceeded to whittle down the Gorgon, but only killed it on turn 5. This let Mark maximize his scoring and in the final turn I wasn't able to shoot the last bull to table him. He ended up beating me on points 8 to 7 for a major victory.

His last guy on the top objective. He has 1 wound left:

Final layout of my guys. The vexillor has infinite range for his teleport ability, so he sat on the bottom objective racking up points.

In game one I did a lot of kiting with the judicators, so his bulls weren't really able to get much done.

=

Game two was Take and Hold. This time I played a gimmick list that was awful. I had 3 units of prosecutors, 10 liberators, 5 retributors, and lord celestant with a battalion. Due to some last minute adjustments we chose to let me play with only 1 battleline unit and 100 points under but with a triumph to make up the point difference. So this was more of a fun "let's try this crazy long range charge" rather than an actual competitive game. I wanted to try and pull off a turn 1 alpha strike, which I did, but the Liberators have no real hitting power so it was more about me being able to say I did it than actually to accomplish anything. Now I won't be tempted to make this list again. In this mission the goal is to control two objectives, one on each side of the map. If you have 5 models in range and the opponent has 0 you control it. If you control both you instantly win.

Turn 1: I alpha strike my liberators. I accomplished this by running a group of Prosecutors forward and then used a battalion ability to teleport the Liberators within 5" of them as their movement. Then the Liberators made the 9" charge to get into combat. This isn't that great as they had poor frontage which limited their attacks. Liberators are not really meant to be a damaging unit, they work better as a meat shield. Although these guys are wearing different equipment they were counts-as a single unit of warblades.

During the assault he wiped out the Liberators. The Gorgon had taken 2 wounds, but healed both after eating some of the Liberators.

Turn 2 & 3: Mark made a set of amazing long distance charges and caught my commander. The commander retreated with 2 wounds left, the retributors advanced and a larger battle begin on the left side of the board. Unfortunately by this time I was down to only one unit of prosecutors left after the ones that helped slingshot the Liberator alpha strike were easily picked off.

Turn 4: I only had 1 unit of prosecutors left so the game was unwinnable for me. I charged to die in a blaze of glory. Beef wins over chicken in the final duel.

The Take and Hold mission is hard for Stormcasts at any point value, but almost unwinnable at 1000 because of the 5 models to control requirement. Escalation only requires more models than the opponent and so works better for elite low model lists. Both games hinged on basically two major areas of battle. The first game was epic, I was so close to winning but just couldn't prevent the last bull from scoring.

These models look fantastic.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm looking to paint some undead dudes. Are hex wraiths strictly better than black knights? I like the black knight look but they look especially terrible from their warscrolls

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Booyah- posted:

I'm looking to paint some undead dudes. Are hex wraiths strictly better than black knights? I like the black knight look but they look especially terrible from their warscrolls

Unless I was fielding the one Deathrattle formation I wouldn't field black knights no.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya
Also to add some picture content to this thread, here are some of my Seraphon

And a bonus blood bowl team I did.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Nice seraphon. I particularly like the gem backed dino and the little red guy.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Is that a RingPop?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Pvt.Scott posted:

Is that a RingPop?

I don't think it would be the best idea to lick it, but I won't stop you

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

GreenMarine posted:

Your friend's labyrinth bases are neat.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
My FLGS is throwing prize support at us to make AoS happen. Might push the Hinterlands ruleset back at them.

Regardless I am never going to use half the stuff I bought back for Fantasy. Anyone need some NIB Tomb Kings stuff? I still have some left I'd like to sell:

2 x NIB TK Batallions
NIB Metal Screaming Skull Catapult
NIB Skeletal Horsemen
Assembled Metal Screaming Skull Catapult missing some crew and accessories
2 x Assembled Warspynxes MISSING CREW
3 x Metal Carrion need TLC
Open but complete King on Chariot
6 x FC Ushabti w/ Great Bows assembled, primed, needs a little TLC

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

e. nevermind we already chatted about this a few months ago, LOL. Lemme know if you decide you'd take a super low price on the carrion!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

GreenMarine posted:

First game was Escalation. I fielded 10 retributors, 2 units of judicators, and a vexillor. He had 3 units of bulls, 1 doombull, and 1 gorgon. In this mission there are 3 objectives diagonally distributed. Territories are diagonal. 1/3rd your list starts on the board and the rest come in on turn 2 along any board edge you control.

Turn 1: I began the game with judicators on the field and he had the gorgon and a unit of bulls. His gorgon advanced toward the middle objective and the bulls towards the top field objective. I lined up shots on both units. I probably should have focused the gorgon, but splitting fire worked out in the long run.

Turn 2: He brought his other units onto the board and advanced in force toward the top objective. The gorgon failed a charge on my archers (it was a long charge attempt) and so didn't manage to score the middle. He scored the top. My units all came on during the command phase and I used the Vexillor's power to teleport the Retributors behind his mass of bulls. On the charge I wiped out a squad of bulls and the doom bull.

Turn 3: He counter charged wiping out the Retributors. I proceeded to whittle down the Gorgon, but only killed it on turn 5. This let Mark maximize his scoring and in the final turn I wasn't able to shoot the last bull to table him. He ended up beating me on points 8 to 7 for a major victory.

Final layout of my guys. The vexillor has infinite range for his teleport ability, so he sat on the bottom objective racking up points.

In game one I did a lot of kiting with the judicators, so his bulls weren't really able to get much done.

=

Game two was Take and Hold. This time I played a gimmick list that was awful. I had 3 units of prosecutors, 10 liberators, 5 retributors, and lord celestant with a battalion. Due to some last minute adjustments we chose to let me play with only 1 battleline unit and 100 points under but with a triumph to make up the point difference. So this was more of a fun "let's try this crazy long range charge" rather than an actual competitive game. I wanted to try and pull off a turn 1 alpha strike, which I did, but the Liberators have no real hitting power so it was more about me being able to say I did it than actually to accomplish anything. Now I won't be tempted to make this list again. In this mission the goal is to control two objectives, one on each side of the map. If you have 5 models in range and the opponent has 0 you control it. If you control both you instantly win.

Turn 1: I alpha strike my liberators. I accomplished this by running a group of Prosecutors forward and then used a battalion ability to teleport the Liberators within 5" of them as their movement. Then the Liberators made the 9" charge to get into combat. This isn't that great as they had poor frontage which limited their attacks. Liberators are not really meant to be a damaging unit, they work better as a meat shield. Although these guys are wearing different equipment they were counts-as a single unit of warblades.

During the assault he wiped out the Liberators. The Gorgon had taken 2 wounds, but healed both after eating some of the Liberators.

Turn 2 & 3: Mark made a set of amazing long distance charges and caught my commander. The commander retreated with 2 wounds left, the retributors advanced and a larger battle begin on the left side of the board. Unfortunately by this time I was down to only one unit of prosecutors left after the ones that helped slingshot the Liberator alpha strike were easily picked off.

Turn 4: I only had 1 unit of prosecutors left so the game was unwinnable for me. I charged to die in a blaze of glory. Beef wins over chicken in the final duel.

The Take and Hold mission is hard for Stormcasts at any point value, but almost unwinnable at 1000 because of the 5 models to control requirement. Escalation only requires more models than the opponent and so works better for elite low model lists. Both games hinged on basically two major areas of battle. The first game was epic, I was so close to winning but just couldn't prevent the last bull from scoring.

Thanks for sharing! That was a nice, concise pair of battle reports. That Tablewar case is probably the way to go with those models - I think the winged guys are really neat but I wouldn't trust them in most foam.

Black_Nexus posted:

And a bonus blood bowl team I did.

The skink with the Empire hat owns.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

e. nevermind we already chatted about this a few months ago, LOL. Lemme know if you decide you'd take a super low price on the carrion!

Yup I'm trying to rid myself of the rest now.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

SRM posted:

Thanks for sharing! That was a nice, concise pair of battle reports. That Tablewar case is probably the way to go with those models - I think the winged guys are really neat but I wouldn't trust them in most foam.

The skink with the Empire hat owns.

The empire kits have some of the coolest little bits

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Is the Sylvaneth battalion that lets you cast twice with every caster as bullshit as it looks?

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

GreenMarine posted:

=

This was highly entertaining and I love the wings on your guys.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Well if I have one thing to say about Age of Sigmar. It's setting is way way less interesting then the Old World.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well if I have one thing to say about Age of Sigmar. It's setting is way way less interesting then the Old World.

The setting in AoS really kinda bums me out, to be honest. I love the old fluff behind several races, with the Ogres(A Big Surpise™) being probably my favorite. I landed on them because they're arguably, a totally neutral race most of the time, just caring about gettin' them some food/gold. Like yeah they were still grimdark but it was so loving over-the-top that I couldn't take it even remotely seriously. Between the fact that they worshipped a giant not-sarlacc and also sometimes a volcano, and their love of just doin' a fight and eating LITERALLY EVERYTHING.

Then AoS happened and I know nothing of their current fluff standing because I can't really find anything. I still want to try AoS, though I admit I'll probably have to commission somebody else to to paint my poo poo, but the setting shift is just so BLAND.

On that note, I have a battalion box and some mournfang cavalry. What would be the ideal way to arrange that for a quick game? I'm guessing 1k points, I have an irongut I've used as a tyrant stand-in before.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Old World was crusty, dark, and brutal. It ruled. I even liked the elves! I never like elves.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Old World gave us Vermintide.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I read the first AoS book, and there weren't any people in it. There's no people in the AoS world. Just warriors of Chaos/Sigmar/Elf fighting each other over control of themed areas. It's like the 40k line, "there is only war", but literally, there is nothing but war

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Guy Goodbody posted:

I read the first AoS book, and there weren't any people in it. There's no people in the AoS world. Just warriors of Chaos/Sigmar/Elf fighting each other over control of themed areas. It's like the 40k line, "there is only war", but literally, there is nothing but war

This is the part where someone chimes in that "you can totally play AoS as if it takes place in the Old World!" which defeats the purpose by still rewarding GW for destroying a setting and offering a massive dump on a plate as its substitute.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Guy Goodbody posted:

The world has no grounding in reality whatsoever, and while there have been hints and artwork of the world regular joes still live in, I have an awful hard time relating to the setting. In 40k you have agri-worlds and forgeworlds supplying food and weapons to the Imperium. In The Old World you had all the farmers and forges you'd expect from renaissance/medieval Europe, and the world, fantastical as it is, has a logic to it. In the Mortal Realms, who's baking the bread? What poor schmuck is tending cattle while actual factual gods are throwing lightning bolts everywhere? I hope they do expand the lore to include the average joes because, while they're mentioned and obviously playable, I have no idea what the Empire dudes are doing in the setting.

Drone posted:

This is the part where someone chimes in that "you can totally play AoS as if it takes place in the Old World!" which defeats the purpose by still rewarding GW for destroying a setting and offering a massive dump on a plate as its substitute.

That's me! The thing is you're not giving GW a drat thing by playing their free game. You totally can play AoS and treat it like a historical wargame, it's what my group does and we have a lot of fun with it.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

SRM posted:

The world has no grounding in reality whatsoever, and while there have been hints and artwork of the world regular joes still live in, I have an awful hard time relating to the setting. In 40k you have agri-worlds and forgeworlds supplying food and weapons to the Imperium. In The Old World you had all the farmers and forges you'd expect from renaissance/medieval Europe, and the world, fantastical as it is, has a logic to it. In the Mortal Realms, who's baking the bread? What poor schmuck is tending cattle while actual factual gods are throwing lightning bolts everywhere? I hope they do expand the lore to include the average joes because, while they're mentioned and obviously playable, I have no idea what the Empire dudes are doing in the setting.

That's me! The thing is you're not giving GW a drat thing by playing their free game. You totally can play AoS and treat it like a historical wargame, it's what my group does and we have a lot of fun with it.

wait, you're playing historicals with aos rules? this is somehow the most baffling admission in this already insane thread

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SRM posted:

This would be true if one didn't buy any AoS products. On a Games Workshop P&L statement, there is no line that divides 40k sales, AoS sales, and "AoS but they're just using our models to play in a different setting!". AoS miniatures sales, to a Games Workshop financial report, equate to the market saying "AoS, both miniatures and the lovely setting, is what we want!"

Honestly I think AoS would have gotten far better treatment had the End Times not happened, or at least had they happened differently. Or if GW just tried to sell it as a setting-free wargame.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
He means that he plays games set in the "historical" old world with Age of Sigmar rules.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

He means that he plays games set in the "historical" old world with Age of Sigmar rules.

oh drat, there goes a fabulous mental image of someone carefully going through their miniature collection and deciding whether huskarls are best used to proxy the slaughterbound goredrinkers or the murderheart bloodtrepreneurs

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Last I checked battles in the Old World were historically fought in block regiments with tactics that focused on flanking maneuvers.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

SRM posted:

What poor schmuck is tending cattle while actual factual gods are throwing lightning bolts everywhere? I hope they do expand the lore to include the average joes because, while they're mentioned and obviously playable, I have no idea what the Empire dudes are doing in the setting.

Last I read, Empire dudes are literally Sigmar citizens larping; like there are civilians who dress up as Empire dudes and then fight with their equipment and stuff because... they think it's cool?

It's supremely lol worthy

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

nah they redid the fluff to put more emphasis on the Freeguild (Empire), now they're the guys doing most of the work while the stormfronts are shock troops who win a battle then piss off leaving the normal humans to defend and build.

it's a big step up from the starting point of 'welp i guess there are some humans too LOOK SIGMARINES WITH HAMMERS ON THEIR HAMMERS' even if they still have no identity compared to the old factions and just cosplay in frilly shirts and write KF in giant letters on stuff for no reason.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Yeah that

Moola posted:

Last I read, Empire dudes are literally Sigmar citizens larping; like there are civilians who dress up as Empire dudes and then fight with their equipment and stuff because... they think it's cool?

God that's goofy as hell

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

That seems like it's old 80s GW taking a piss or having a piss (idk how you guys use this term but it's a funny term) and it would be great as background material but they probably implemented it way wrong and missed the point. The idea of a realm that's grown so bored in its safe reality bubble taking up arms to parade around is great.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SRM posted:

Yeah that

Just lol if you want to play Brets or Tomb Kings, who were both pretty big in the lore of the Old World.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
god drat the Old World is so much cooler a setting than warcraft paladins in space... which is I guess just warcraft paladins

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

SRM posted:

God that's goofy as hell

It's worse than that. The citizens were dressing up as Empire and Brettonia and fighting each other with sticks because the end of the old world was so traumatic to them that they became completely delusional and refused to embrace the new world.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's worse than that. The citizens were dressing up as Empire and Brettonia and fighting each other with sticks because the end of the old world was so traumatic to them that they became completely delusional and refused to embrace the new world.

lol. owned, nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Moola posted:

god drat the Old World is so much cooler a setting than warcraft paladins in space... which is I guess just warcraft paladins

The only cool Warcraft paladins were the Blood Elves. They had captured some Naru(or what the gently caress ever the floating glyph guys are called) which they siphoned light energy from. The siphoning was torturous for the Naru, naturally.

None of this upright, holy bullshit, just stolen power. You could see some npcs draining one of the holy glyph bastards in the BE capital city, pretty much in the open. It was a little vignette that looped over and over.

Blizzard took that scene out and I think the BEs stealing their power was retconned or is just not mentioned any longer. I want to know who complained and got that changed. Bunch of sensitive jerks.

• Locked thread