Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well if I have one thing to say about Age of Sigmar. It's setting is way way less interesting then the Old World.

Without a doubt this is the case. I want to see if it progresses and what they do there.

The Old World was really drat cool and I didnt realize it until just recently. I just would have never bought a Warhammer Fantasy army. The stacked rank and file armies are not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It's worse than that. The citizens were dressing up as Empire and Brettonia and fighting each other with sticks because the end of the old world was so traumatic to them that they became completely delusional and refused to embrace the new world.

Ball touching denialists.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Pvt.Scott posted:

The only cool Warcraft paladins were the Blood Elves. They had captured some Naru(or what the gently caress ever the floating glyph guys are called) which they siphoned light energy from. The siphoning was torturous for the Naru, naturally.

None of this upright, holy bullshit, just stolen power. You could see some npcs draining one of the holy glyph bastards in the BE capital city, pretty much in the open. It was a little vignette that looped over and over.

Blizzard took that scene out and I think the BEs stealing their power was retconned or is just not mentioned any longer. I want to know who complained and got that changed. Bunch of sensitive jerks.

You're preaching to the choir

I leveled a BE paladin in burning crusade

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
No paladins were good ever and nor were any blood elves.

Same applies to stormcasts for the same reasons.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Sorry to re-ask this but I am wondering if anyone has actually played against it: Is the Sylvaneth battalion that lets you cast twice with every caster as bullshit as it looks?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone have the Storm of Sigar mini box-set? I've only seen one page of the battleplans it has, but they seem great for getting friends to roll dice with just a few models on the table. I'd buy it but I don't really need the sigmarines or khorne dudes.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Pvt.Scott posted:

The only cool Warcraft paladins were the Blood Elves. They had captured some Naru(or what the gently caress ever the floating glyph guys are called) which they siphoned light energy from. The siphoning was torturous for the Naru, naturally.

None of this upright, holy bullshit, just stolen power. You could see some npcs draining one of the holy glyph bastards in the BE capital city, pretty much in the open. It was a little vignette that looped over and over.

Blizzard took that scene out and I think the BEs stealing their power was retconned or is just not mentioned any longer. I want to know who complained and got that changed. Bunch of sensitive jerks.

It was taken out because the story progressed. You kill it in the Sunwell raid. The Blood Elves knew draining it was painful but didn't know it was sentient or that if they caused it enough pain it would flip from light aspected to void aspected and just straight up start murdering people.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It was taken out because the story progressed. You kill it in the Sunwell raid. The Blood Elves knew draining it was painful but didn't know it was sentient or that if they caused it enough pain it would flip from light aspected to void aspected and just straight up start murdering people.

Laaaaaaame. They shoulda just caught some more. You can tell how much WoW I've played.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Saint Drogo posted:

nah they redid the fluff to put more emphasis on the Freeguild (Empire), now they're the guys doing most of the work while the stormfronts are shock troops who win a battle then piss off leaving the normal humans to defend and build.

it's a big step up from the starting point of 'welp i guess there are some humans too LOOK SIGMARINES WITH HAMMERS ON THEIR HAMMERS' even if they still have no identity compared to the old factions and just cosplay in frilly shirts and write KF in giant letters on stuff for no reason.

how many revamps of the fluff have there been already?

also, do the stormfronts still massacre entire towns because they ~think~ the place is corrupted by chaos?

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

TKIY posted:

Sorry to re-ask this but I am wondering if anyone has actually played against it: Is the Sylvaneth battalion that lets you cast twice with every caster as bullshit as it looks?

The rule of one weakens it a lot, but it is still kind of bullshit because of their extra spells from the lore

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

also, do the stormfronts still massacre entire towns because they ~think~ the place is corrupted by chaos?

Of course they do. It's Grimdark*TM. Kids love it.

* Copyright Games Workshop

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Black_Nexus posted:

The rule of one weakens it a lot, but it is still kind of bullshit because of their extra spells from the lore

What's the rule of one?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Spells can only be cast once a turn by one wizard across your army (i.e. one wizard you control can cast Arcane Shield, but then none of your other wizards can until your next turn).

You can only reroll a roll once, you cannot reroll a reroll.

Attacks that generate extra attacks can only generate 1 additional attack.

A roll of a 1 is always a failure.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SteelMentor posted:

Spells can only be cast once a turn by one wizard across your army (i.e. one wizard you control can cast Arcane Shield, but then none of your other wizards can until your next turn).

It actually is a pretty good rule. It certainly helps people from spamming wizards...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ghost Hand posted:

It actually is a pretty good rule. It certainly helps people from spamming wizards...

A lot of these are standard in modern games and when they're not standard they're incorporated into the design of the game.

For instance, in Kings of War a magic user can only cast a single spell on a turn. However, a magic user can cast any spell it has access to regardless of if another magic user has already cast it. But in Kings of War, that's not a big deal because the spells can't result in infinite loops. They're either a minor buff or direct damage. And the buff spells can only be applied to a unit once regardless of how many magic users cast that spell on the same unit.

Exploding dice are becoming more common in a lot of games. Basically, if you roll a certain value, usually an 8 on a D8, you get to roll an additional dice. This is done in games where action resolution is done by opposing number of successes. The reason why exploding dice are important is because it means that regardless of circumstance, neither unit has a guaranteed victory. For example, a unit may start an action with 5 dice and its target might only get 3. If the attacker succeeds on 4 dice, then the defender has no chance to win. With exploding dice, the door remains open for the defender to run a string of 8s to succeed when they were at a disadvantage. And since the odds apply evenly to the attacker and the defender rolling an 8 on any given dice, it's not an inherently broken mechanic.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
"regardless of circumstance, neither unit has a guaranteed victory" is an appealing slogan but it's ranges from meh to terrible as an actual game design idea (depending on whether you implement it as "very lopsided matchups have an insignificant chance of going the other way" or "very lopsided matchups have a 1/6 chance of going the other way)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

"regardless of circumstance, neither unit has a guaranteed victory" is an appealing slogan but it's ranges from meh to terrible as an actual game design idea (depending on whether you implement it as "very lopsided matchups have an insignificant chance of going the other way" or "very lopsided matchups have a 1/6 chance of going the other way)

Let me give an example from Deadzone. In Deadzone, to make a shoot action, the attacker shoots a base of 3D8 against their Shoot value. Any dice that scores equal to or higher than their shoot counts as a success. The defender makes a similar 3D8 roll against their Survive value, counting their successes as well. So in a standard shot, the attacker and the defender both get 3D8. To see if the attacker or defender "won" the shot, you compare who had more successes. A tie or the defender having more means the shot missed or failed to damage. If the attacker scored more, you count the difference and that's the damage before armor and abilities.

Someone who is good at shooting will have a 4+ and someone who is tough might have a 4+, so you could end up having perfectly equal chances of succeeding or failing and the shot comes down to luck. One, both, or neither player could get lucky. But the smart player puts their thumb on the scale and there are a number of different ways to do that. Most obviously is pairing a good shooter against someone not particularly tough. 3D8 4+ vs 3D8 5+ leans in the favor of the shooter. The shooter could look for a clear shot, which gives them 2 extra D8. The shooter could go for a height advantage, scoring another D8. And either player can spend command dice if they have any to add dice to their pool for that action.

It's entirely possible for the attacker to end up having 8D8 against a defender's paltry 3D8. And that defender might be rolling 5+ against an attacker's 3+ or 4+. Chances are the attacker is going to murder that model, but there still remains the chance that the defender could roll a string of 8s and be fine. The most likely thing is that the attacking player will be rewarded for their strategic play, but there is the possibility that the defender will survive or even go unharmed. Yes, this is a net change of nothing in the status quo which is usually seen as a bad thing in a wargame, but because to achieve that outcome requires an improbable number of 8s being rolled, that inherently increases tension and excitement and also takes up the span of a few seconds before the next action starts.

You can't really boil it down to "lopsided matchups have a 1/8 chance of going the other way" since the attacker still has to roll a minimum number of successes anyways, but it does give the defender a possible out when things are going to hell, but it's not something a player should rely on. But it also means that a weak attacker going against a powerful defender in a last ditch effort to save the game might work out in the attacking player's favor for the same reason. It at least leaves the door open.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Business Gorillas posted:

free for all revamps is a just a perk of your setting being 'stuffffff....?' they also constantly seem to stress how human and emotional the stormfronts are now lol.

i'm pretty sure that second one was made up for the death thread tho.

e: and was probably a joke but death threaders can't handle jokes.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saint Drogo posted:

Hell fnordcircle voted for Trump as a joke and look where that got us

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Saint Drogo posted:

free for all revamps is a just a perk of your setting being 'stuffffff....?' they also constantly seem to stress how human and emotional the stormfronts are now lol.

i'm pretty sure that second one was made up for the death thread tho.

____________:cawg:

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

SteelMentor posted:

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, but I don't see that anywhere in the '4 pages'. Is it in the Generals Handbook?

edit: Okay it's part of matched play. I want to wizard spam a bit so that sucks a little.

Here's another question. I want to run the Gnarlroot Batallion, which requires a Household Batallion. Does the 80 points for the Gnarlroot already include the 20 from the Household already?

Specifically is this legal at 1k points:

Allegiance: Sylvaneth

Leaders

Treelord Ancient (300)
- General
- Trait: Gift of Ghyran - Sylvaneth
- Artefact: Ranu's Lamentiri
- Deepwood Spell: The Dwellers Below
Branchwych (100)
- Deepwood Spell: Regrowth

Battleline
5 x Tree-Revenants (100)
- Sylvaneth Battleline
20 x Dryads (240)

Units
3 x Kurnoth Hunters (180)
- Greatbows

Battalions
Gnarlroot Wargrove (80)

Scenery

Sylvaneth Wyldwood - Sylvaneth Allegiance (0)

Total: 1000/1000

TKIY fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Feb 14, 2017

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Saint Drogo posted:

death threaders

hey I'm gonna blow your mind a sec

there are no death threaders or any other threaders, we are all just people who post on something awful forums dot com

peace be with you friend

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

hey I'm gonna blow your mind a sec

there are no death threaders or any other threaders, we are all just people who post on something awful forums dot com

peace be with you friend

I started the current death thread and I'm here for AoS advice. May the skelewords find you at peace.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY posted:

I started the current death thread and I'm here for AoS advice. May the skelewords find you at peace.

Um excuse me, please return to your designated posting zone citizen

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

perhaps a better way of putting it is the death thread is an environment that kills jokes and stuffs their bodies with gundam packaging to be paraded around as facts because gw just ain't lovely enough already I guess??

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Death thread has a proven track record of having jokes, especially photoshopped ones, come true. Enjoy your Gun'dam Skullbots in 2 years. Moola is obligated to post a battle report with them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Other observation on Age of Sigmar. The new names for poo poo are pretty stupid.

The Death faction by far the most. Seriously calling Skeletons Deathrattlers.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 14, 2017

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Saint Drogo posted:

kills jokes and stuffs their bodies with gundam packaging to be paraded around as facts
But that would be Age of Sigmar? :confused:

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Other observation on Age of Sigmar. The new names for poo poo are pretty stupid.

The Death faction by far the most. Seriously calling Skeletons Deathrattlers.

Decaywalker Hammershambler (zombie with a club)

Fleshgorger Cryptraider Hatemangler (a normal ghoul)

This is fun

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Annular Goatfiend

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Deathreader Jokillers

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Bloodhewn Erectile Disfunctionators

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Xlorp posted:

Annular Goatfiend

Dude, don't post the name of my death metal band in here, our EP isn't done yet

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How viable are Lizardmen/Seraphon now?

I forgot I had a box of them in my closet, and thought i should paint them up and play with them.

Also, are square bases cool, or will I have to rebase them?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Zuul the Cat posted:

The rules are official that it's model-to-model, not base-to-base, but I think that's dumb as hell so my group does base to base. We all play with square bases, no problems at all. I don't think anyone will give you poo poo for it, even the dudes playing AoS at my local stores have square bases sometimes.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
There are no square bases, only Rightangular Bottomparters.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Citadel® Jewelike WonderundersTM

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

SRM posted:

Dude, don't post the name of my death metal band in here, our EP isn't done yet

Metal bands release on cassette these days, not vinyl, you fraud!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Steampunk Duradins

Stormfront Eternals

Ur-gold Diggers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

How viable are Lizardmen/Seraphon now?

I forgot I had a box of them in my closet, and thought i should paint them up and play with them.

Seraphon are still quite a solid force, they have strong monsters and good infantry.

You can play with squares, nothing stopping you.

• Locked thread