Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Definitely have to check out El Topo, the granddaddy of the midnight movie - it was a minor craze at the time of its release and the showings were selling out completely for months, with a bunch of people showing up over and over again (sorta like Rocky Horror Picture Show, which is the one midnight movie pretty much everyone is familiar with), and it eventually got a wider release because of support from John Lennon.

It's a very, very bizarre, dense, sometimes uncomfortable movie stuffed to the gills with mystical symbolism and it's a huge influence on directors like Lynch and Refn, so if you are at all into that kind of movie, it's a must-see. It's also gorgeous, tons of really great cinematography and imagery that sticks with you. Jodorowksy's other movies are good, too - Holy Mountain in particular is a great one to check out if you dig this one.

Here's an old trailer for it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjKcuh8pZtE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

sebmojo posted:

SANTA SANGRE is amazing, at some point they push an elephant off a cliff iirc

Yeah. Pretty much all Jodorowsky movies are amazing and definitely fit the bill if you want weird midnight movies. I am pretty bummed we'll never get to see his version of Dune or that movie he was going to make where Marilyn Manson plays a future-pope with razor blade teeth.

Also Santa Sangre is available for streaming on Shudder, which lets you do a free trial, if anyone wants to check it out that way. They've got a bunch of cool old giallo / exploitation horror too, lots of stuff that made the midnight circuits. Their site is sorta janky sometimes but the free trial's worth it. All of his movies are on Amazon Instant, too, I think.

• Locked thread