Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i could be spending nine hours a day writing a novel if i was at all capable or disciplined, instead i'm frittering my life away in a completely pointless job that isn't even stem, it's stem-adjacent, sub-stem. meanwhile leonard cohen is dead, the environment is hosed, and we are on the brink of a new dark age of mankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

i am struggling with a profound feeling that i should be doing more to help the advancement of our species instead of helping a coal mine wrestle an endless ouroboros of paperwork into an unuseable system that gets demolished every second day anyway when someone is getting audited and in a panic takes all the files out of the boxes i painstakingly sorted them into and flings them all over the desk out of order

It's up to me to fix climate change

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
i'll bet most people working in the private sector feel something like that

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Swan Oat posted:

suicide squad wasnt nearly as bad as people made it otu to be.
trash

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Rodatose posted:

At least still feeling something.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
sometimes i transport things no one would ever need, or for a company like dow

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Rodatose posted:

all my life i've wondered if cleaning motel rooms is the most depressing job imaginable because you work so hard to get everything so clean for the sole purpose of people coming in and making it disgusting again. and now that i'm doing a completely pointless job just so that other people can come in and undo it in an endlessly recursive cycle, i think the answer is yes

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
trash

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
I think the philosopher/comedy show host Karl Marx called it something like "alien nation" when you feel that way. workers all across the land feel like their bodies are controlled by alien probes.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i feel more like everybody else is an alien probe, the only being who makes any philosophical sense to me in this world is vanya

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
there are bright points in my job though, like hearing my boss tell a telemarketer he has to go because he just shat his pants, and the lunatic next door who periodically comes in to tell me he's a spy even though he's obviously not a spy

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Avshalom posted:

all my life i've wondered if cleaning motel rooms is the most depressing job imaginable because you work so hard to get everything so clean for the sole purpose of people coming in and making it disgusting again. and now that i'm doing a completely pointless job just so that other people can come in and undo it in an endlessly recursive cycle, i think the answer is yes

dishwashing for 8 hrs straight in a restaurant is kinda like that. lots of bad smells, lots of crusted-on spots, lots of wasted food. if you get too close to the machine, your hand gets burned. get out at 1am.

still that job was less bad than working in a mall food court because at least I didn't have to deal with customers or managers constantly

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
oh lord dishwashing is the worst. i was so, so happy to get out of the hospitality industry (into the retail industry, which i was so, so happy to get out of into the admin industry, and now i'm in the admin industry and not sure where to go from here but it's better than where i was back then)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
and yeah the food waste was so depressing. at least feed it to some chickens or something, come on

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
and whatever i do doesn't even matter in the end because trump is president and if we don't all die in a nuclear war tomorrow we'll be wiped out by destruction of the biosphere within a few decades

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

and yeah the food waste was so depressing. at least feed it to some chickens or something, come on

I always thought the food waste from a restaurant was bad until I worked in a del monte corn cannery for a month! You could feed nations with the waste they produce on a daily basis!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

and whatever i do doesn't even matter in the end because trump is president and if we don't all die in a nuclear war tomorrow we'll be wiped out by destruction of the biosphere within a few decades

Actually it's alot worse than that!! What will happen is that we'll push our planet past the point of no return and it will become like venus, permanently!!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
argh

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Matoi Ryuko posted:

Actually it's alot worse than that!! What will happen is that we'll push our planet past the point of no return and it will become like venus, permanently!!

is there a winter sig thread

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
how could a manager expect a person getting paid the minimum wage of $7.80 to both do their job quickly in front of a hot grill and show genuine smiles to uncaring customers

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

is there a winter sig thread

There might be. It might be in BYOB.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Rodatose posted:

how could a manager expect a person getting paid the minimum wage of $7.80 to both do their job quickly in front of a hot grill and show genuine smiles to uncaring customers
confront them with the rictus of the grave

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Avshalom posted:

confront them with the rictus of the grave

I ended up using a fake accent that was difficult to understand and when questioned about it I would say I was from lithuania

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
byob is a horrible place, it's filled with the same sort of nasty malicious hateful individuals that populate gbs but while gbs posters claim to be joking when they act like psychopaths, byob posters deny they ever act like psychopaths at all and insist everything is happy and friendly and not just a desperate, vicious struggle to feel a bit of personal fulfilment by clawing their way to the top of an internet community at the expense of everybody around them

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
sorry i'm missing the city and it's making me angry

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Rodatose posted:

By pushing themselves to build up compassion for all living beings by remembering that our paths through the universe may only cross for this one tiny moment in time where this person is ordering a taco from me.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Rodatose posted:

I ended up using a fake accent that was difficult to understand and when questioned about it I would say I was from lithuania
haha i used to fend off face-to-face charity fundraisers by claiming to be a lost tourist from kiev

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

byob is a horrible place, it's filled with the same sort of nasty malicious hateful individuals that populate gbs but while gbs posters claim to be joking when they act like psychopaths, byob posters deny they ever act like psychopaths at all and insist everything is happy and friendly and not just a desperate, vicious struggle to feel a bit of personal fulfilment by clawing their way to the top of an internet community at the expense of everybody around them

People just need a place where they can distance themselves from the more toxic environments of SA before they can even begin to realize how they were contributing to the situation.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
driving truck is okay and has its perks compared to everything else i've done (except working in the stands at a baseball stadium, that was fun)

still i feel like i should probably start doing something full time to help friends in the face of the coming Global Suckening

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

i have a job where i design and build things to help save people's lives yet i still feel like its all meaningless and we need to bring out the guillotines

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Matoi Ryuko posted:

By pushing themselves to build up compassion for all living beings by remembering that our paths through the universe may only cross for this one tiny moment in time where this person is ordering a taco from me.

but what if you don't like crossing paths with people because you're conditioned to shrink away from anything loud or potentially threatening

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
I give you your taco from behind this bulletproof, soundproof window

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
at the moment i'm mostly sad about leonard but most of the time i think 90% of my sorrow is the fact that i live and work in the middle of nowhere and am no longer able to enjoy going to a nearby food court for my lunch break and ordering a taco from a surly lithuanian

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There's a real possibility that technologically we could solve climate change so that's pretty much all we have to be hopeful for

Like in the next 40 to 60 years.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the moment climate change starts seriously affecting food production in the superpower countries and one invades another for resources, then we'll see a nuclear exchange and the resulting environmental chaos will bring our species to the brink of extinction. i am a prophet and i have seen this to be true, amen

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
obviously i expect america to be the one to gently caress everything up but tbh it's just as likely that china will try to annex a big chunk of russia or something totally unexpected

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

If the planet is lucky then we will all die from bio-engineered plague when the rich elite try and kill the poor people and all die themselves masque of the red death style.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
when the air has turned to poison and the sun refuses to shine and all infrastructure has crumbled and the whole human race is weak from hunger and grief, there will come a great plague upon the earth

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
and this plague

will be called

H a m i l t o n

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the captains of industry will go down with their ship