Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Or if there was mandatory conscription and kids didn't go to college until they were 22

I'm sure the emotional stability of a bunch of people forced into service at the age of 18 will reduce mental health issues in higher education

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I mean who is more mentally stable than our war veterans hurrah

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

rear end struggle posted:

conscription doesn't mean fighting

just having your human instincts broken until the point you can kill

I'm sure the military will be keen to get the optimum value for their money

Might as well start a little war just to keep Putin on his toes

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

un petit guerre

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Gin and Juche posted:

Nikki Haley Un ambassador? I don't get it

Appointing someone with no diplomatic or FP experience will lead to some laughs I'm sure

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

exmarx posted:

is an ambassador appointment an "i'm making you leave the country to kill your ambitions and stop you causing trouble for me" thing in the us?

you don't have to leave the country to be the un ambassador if you're American though generally they do a bit of globetrotting

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

exmarx posted:

right, but ime ambassadorships get given out to retired politicians

Eh there's a good couple of american UN ambassadors who furthered their careers; Rice, Albright, Negroponte all got promotions or cabinet spots after their stint at the UN.

And of course Bush the first

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

All four of those were part of the foreign policy establishment before they got the job though

Nikki Haley has done nothing besides be a lovely governor

Yeah that's the lol part. Its not a dead end job posting career wise if you're from an FP background but just giving to some random politician is pretty bizarre

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

If Romney was offered the UN spot that would be a hell of a lot less of an insult than offering him the France posting for example

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

wait devos's brother is erik prince? lol

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

betsy devos is from a dutch reformed family which shows once again that dutch people and protestants are the worst people on earth

when I spoke against the Dutch menace people mocked me

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Pretty sure that was the Danish and not the Dutch

Racist

I'll have you know I have always been strident in my distaste for those nutmeg obsessed fiends

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

i support dadchat's book writing ambitions as long as it isn't high fantasy with a detailed mythos with dozens of intricate handdrawn maps and constructed languages and elves

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

or scifi about a war with aliens in space

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Avshalom posted:

please raise your hand if you have not written or are not writing a book

hello

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

my command of the english language is tenuous as best

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Avshalom posted:

i wasted most of my teenage years trying and failing to write a sci-fantasy novel about a space war with alien elves on a high fantasy world with intricate maps and a detailed mythos and constructed languages

good

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Do we really need a novelization of avatar

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

PupsOfWar posted:

Mine doesn't have dwarfs, elfs, maps or conlangs (its deliberately inchohate that way) but its fantasy yeah

goblin?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

strapping musclebound centaurs?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Highly erotic centaurs of course

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Housing New Zealand is selling off state houses in Christchurch partly because it is increasingly focused on Auckland's housing shortage, Bill English says.

this makes no loving sense

You could always use the traditional line of selling housing stock to raise money to build more state housing

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Basically taking advantage of property price increases and feeding bubbles

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

I never said it was just a good idea. Just its something people keep suggesting

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Ireland went from having a surplus of empty houses built on credit by speculative property developers lying half built and empty to an acute housing shortage in a couple of years. Turns out sinking millions into planned suburban estates no one particularly wants to live in and then going bankrupt isn't good for the housing market.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Is it an Irish housing shortage or a Dublin housing shortage

It's pretty much every city (so Dublin and Cork)

Dublin and its greater suburban area has like 40% of the Irish population though so a squeeze in Dublin is automatically a national crisis

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

tell us what you find confusing young postlad

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

take a knee around the campfire of chat thread

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Something just occurred to me. In a movie apocalypse situation, where almost everyone dies and the survivors have to pick up the pieces, in the long run, aren't first world countries doomed?

We have eradicated so many diseases in the first world, but not in the rest of the world. Without modern medicine and vaccines, after everyone who received the vaccines died out, we'll be incredibly vulnerable. A hundred years after the apocalypse, after people have started rebuilding and it seems like things are going OK, some dude from Brazil sails to San Francisco, and boom. All those diseases eradicate the population of North America. Again.

I think if your immediate worry about the apocalypse is you should look closely at your epistemes

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Ah haven't heard this in a long time

its true its been a long time since this thread has taken a long hard look and adjusted our epistemes

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lots of cities in Florida have an e in it I don't get

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

Sorry didn't realise the thread moved so quickly. I was told by a stranger on the internet that people from the Balkans aren't considered white in the current narrative. I was a bit surprised, the ever reliable wikipedia disagrees, but apparently whether or not Kim Kardashian is a PoC is a matter of some debate (I know, not the Balkans).
So I guess my question is, what is considered white in America?
I can guess it's not the census definition which includes Arabs and North Africans.

Thanks for being so welcoming.

I think anyone rushing to proclaim that Slavs are not white may have an agenda

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Chelb posted:

hey kkk i was reading a little about jean-bédel bokassa

he seems like he was pretty nuts!!!

yes but people usually gloss over his close personal friendship with French President Giscard and the fact France gave him political asylum after deposing him only when popular unrest began to erode his regime and international outrage started to form after he ordered the murder of over a hundred children. Of course France was more than happy to reinstall the previous president as a puppet with much of the actual business of ruling being controlled by a French military proconsul

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

The otherthrow of Bokassa gave us the term Barracuda Syndrome, which is used to refer to France's neocolonial policy of direct post colonial tutelage enforced through military action btw

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also Bokassa made the mistake of trying to get chummy with Gaddafi

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

i feel like clothes should cost less if you're getting them in a smaller size

the value of the labour is the same you capitalist swine

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

the value of the materials is different

also did you recommend me a book on apartheid south africa

I didn't but Saul Dubows Apartheid or William Beinarts 20th century south Africa (a bit old this but the standard intro text) are good jumping in points but having a grasp of the Boer wars and the later nineteenth century would probably be good tbh

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Though dubow starts by jumping right into Malans victory in 48 which does king gloss over a couple of important decades

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Also worger and Clark's rise and fall of apartheid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

this book is $36

yes it's aimed at undergrads

• Locked thread