Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i claim this page for canada

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i imagine tensions are high in many relationships across the contient

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Avshalom posted:

i am struggling with a profound feeling that i should be doing more to help the advancement of our species instead of helping a coal mine wrestle an endless ouroboros of paperwork into an unuseable system that gets demolished every second day anyway when someone is getting audited and in a panic takes all the files out of the boxes i painstakingly sorted them into and flings them all over the desk out of order

have you considered a pilgrimage to montreal

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

i was briefly hopeful he actually died

too bad the choices are going to be juppe, macron, and le pen

i mean a person can die more than once

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

we're all dead, mon ami

and we shall die again, before the end

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/AlexisCoe/status/801479814741950470

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

UberJew posted:

it could be worse; it could be the pipeline thread

how many people are arguing that the use of eminent domain in this case was good

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

UberJew posted:

idk because it is mostly an argument involving the only two people in america who believe the sheriff's press releases

i overestimated the complexity of the thread's arguments

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
hmm you might have a point

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Badger of Basra posted:

why is there a limit on the number of "copies" of an ebook that can be checked out from my library

that's how electronic ebook licenses purchased from publishers work. it's pretty much the same in most if not all libraries.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

UberJew posted:

even better they usually have a circulation cap, where after a given ebook 'copy' has been checked out a certain number of times the license is terminated

yikes

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
tip: supporting publisher in loving over libraries so that there's even fewer ways to access books is not good, and in fact i would post, bad

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
so it goes, he intoned

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
looking forward to reading the leonard cohen & ariel adventures series, avs

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
emoji activism

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

i need to watch this somehow

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

PupsOfWar posted:

theyre from alberta

so basically north dakota

texas of the north, although they elected a NDP government so :shrug:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chelb posted:

impossible

oil, latent bigotry, surprisingly liberal city in the middle of it.

mostly checks out

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
true

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
kids are powerful

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

boner confessor posted:

great i'm arguing with a conspiracy theorist in the conspiracy theory thread and now mcdowell is sending me pms again because of it

Chelb posted:

how do you live with yourself when you're being owned so much so often

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

icantfindaname posted:

It was funny seeing people like Yglesias complaining about Trump's education secretary pick because it gives the charter school movement a bad name

oh god lol

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

graey alien and ingwit were great posters

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i didn't read or enjoy uspol and im not american.

so they're going to be posting in here now?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Chelb posted:

*throws candy cigarette to the ground, steps on it* this thread's really gone to poo poo

im sorry i have no dog pics left to post

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Furnaceface posted:

They were always here. :ssh:

greetings

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Avshalom posted:

i got banished from the dnd auspol thread but i'm a byob auspoo

they don't appreciate leonard cohen anyway

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://twitter.com/dankmtl/status/804915381269893120

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLRsu4mJmyU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Avshalom posted:

i'm in, gently caress those sugary little monsters

what if they're kids with type 1

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

syscall girl posted:

black mirror guy does '16 dad chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OCfYgqiZHI

literally says "grinds gears" to talk about jezz

ive been waiting for this

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

RODNEY THE RACEHOR posted:

year of the keet

a chinese tradition i can get behind

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
avs im seriously considering sheep farming help

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

don't do it unless you're already in the country with a good paddock available. they're a fun pet to have and can spin you a small profit over a few years if you take good care of them and are willing to help deliver lambs and/or shear them (depending on the breed) but nowadays it's impossible to actually make a living with a mid-range flock (by which i'd mean, less than fifty sheep or so?) so if you're thinking about moving out into the wilderness to become a sheep farmer and you don't have the resources to go big, i wouldn't recommend it.

yeah. ive got the land, the barn, everything avaliable but I don't think ive got enough room to go really big.

the only reason i consider it is that the local lamb market in ontario is growing siginifcantly

beyond that i'd have to supplement it with market garden farming and rely on the kindness of hipsters.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

how close are you to your customers and how comfortable are you with where you're living? (like can you say "i will not want to leave this property / this house for ten years minimum"? if so, go get some lambs, do it right now)

the farm in question is 30 minute drive from toronto, a city of 3-5 million people depending how you define it and i don't think we have any intention of moving very far.

much of the slaughtering would be done by slaughterhouses equipped to do kohser/halal standards -- that's "good enough" for me

there's also a bunch of grants for young farmers for which i qualify, it seems to good to be true tho

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
i don't think there's really a market for fiber. i imagine we'd get some fiber sheep because my partner loves to spin and knit but that market is already pretty specialized and there's a glut of people trying to get in on it hence the great alpaca apocalypse in north america and lol trying to compete in the mass wool market

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

canada is so much better than australia :smith:

i wouldn't say that -- im just in a very lucky position thanks to my family hanging on to the farm through it in spite of it being expropriated and a fire that gutted the farmhouse

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 1, 2017

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

The Muppets On PCP posted:

if you're looking to make money rent your farm out as a wedding space

yeah that and/or a space for one-day conferences is something im considering as part of the business plan assuming i can get the capital to fix up the other non-sheep barn.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
sadly the alpacolapyse came about because people started importing alpacas and the only way to keep the market going was to encourage people to invest in alpacas. got to the point where people were pitching it as a solid retirement investment and, well, the bubble burst. people abandoned their alpacas because they couldn't afford to feed them and animal services end up discovering emaciated or dead alpacas in decrepit barns :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2wK7IakTRs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVEMS2xK-1c

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

we had an emu farm bubble in australia when i was a kid, our town was right in the middle of perfect emu-farming territory (ie, desert) and i grew up surrounded by idyllic paddocks of giant birds on stilts. people lost millions

there was an ostrich meat bubble in the 80s and 90s in north america, supposedly

• Locked thread