Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Ground floor-ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

i am struggling with a profound feeling that i should be doing more to help the advancement of our species instead of helping a coal mine wrestle an endless ouroboros of paperwork into an unuseable system that gets demolished every second day anyway when someone is getting audited and in a panic takes all the files out of the boxes i painstakingly sorted them into and flings them all over the desk out of order

It's up to me to fix climate change

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

and yeah the food waste was so depressing. at least feed it to some chickens or something, come on

I always thought the food waste from a restaurant was bad until I worked in a del monte corn cannery for a month! You could feed nations with the waste they produce on a daily basis!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

and whatever i do doesn't even matter in the end because trump is president and if we don't all die in a nuclear war tomorrow we'll be wiped out by destruction of the biosphere within a few decades

Actually it's alot worse than that!! What will happen is that we'll push our planet past the point of no return and it will become like venus, permanently!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

is there a winter sig thread

There might be. It might be in BYOB.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Rodatose posted:

how could a manager expect a person getting paid the minimum wage of $7.80 to both do their job quickly in front of a hot grill and show genuine smiles to uncaring customers

By pushing themselves to build up compassion for all living beings by remembering that our paths through the universe may only cross for this one tiny moment in time where this person is ordering a taco from me.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

byob is a horrible place, it's filled with the same sort of nasty malicious hateful individuals that populate gbs but while gbs posters claim to be joking when they act like psychopaths, byob posters deny they ever act like psychopaths at all and insist everything is happy and friendly and not just a desperate, vicious struggle to feel a bit of personal fulfilment by clawing their way to the top of an internet community at the expense of everybody around them

People just need a place where they can distance themselves from the more toxic environments of SA before they can even begin to realize how they were contributing to the situation.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

If the planet is lucky then we will all die from bio-engineered plague when the rich elite try and kill the poor people and all die themselves masque of the red death style.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I do not know what liver tastes like, I only know that it is useful for catching fish. Which fish I do not know. Probably catfish.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

i can't entirely hate the place, it has an annual beauty contest for goats which imo should be adopted by all other nations

I agree all nations should adopt goats.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

My grandparents were from poland and I say kill em all!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I'm a redneck from illinois and I say I love cornbread!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Hollismason posted:

What are your opinions on Hush Puppies

Good on the feet and in the tum

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

...please forgive me dadchat, i've become bitter and hateful since i lost my guiding light

I still like you

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Disinterested posted:

your username is terrible

Same

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

is that another american celebrity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17Z5cmpbtjc

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

mooyashi posted:

I'm trying to figure out where you live based on the supposition that you know what's being talked about and hate the US powerhouse of dumb cultural export

Hint: it rhymes with "bahtvia"

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how do you pronounce sweden, again :v:

thanks

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Im just going to continue assuming the Leonard you refer to is Leonard Cohen.

She's really into spock.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The french calligraphy enthusiast?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

and then the echidna followed me fearlessly back to the house, climbed the stairs with remarkable grace and skill considering it's basically a pointy amoeba, waddled around the side of the verandah and disappeared

:3:

You should leave some treats out for your new companion. What do echidnas eat? Enchiladas?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Sonic had no idea what he was getting into when he befriended knuckles

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Octatonic posted:

See, this is everything I imagined Australia to be when I was small. Less of the horrific detention camps and stealing native children and dying reefs more wonderful, bumbling, wildlife

Everything I knew about australia as a child I learned from Tazmania.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

same only crocodile dandy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcE0aAhbVFc

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Octatonic posted:

I grew up on a steady diet of documentaries about the great barrier reef and monotremes. I wanted to be a marine biologist really badly, but instead ended up becoming a teacher? I've come to realize that I'd have been under-funded either way, so whatever. I still need to learn to dive though, for when I'm one day living in a non-landlocked state. I suppose if I wait long enough, the ocean will come to me...

You can still pursue your dreams of being a marine biologist while being a teacher, I don't know if anyone's told you that before.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the problem is usually the opposite, that you get handed teaching/administrative responsibilities while all you wish is to be a researcher

It's because talented teachers are in high demand worldwide.

Avshalom posted:

ants and termites! they're a good little dude to have around

I want a pet echidna so I can make him wear a tiny party hat.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Octatonic posted:

Man, I really really don't want to go back into academia though. I'm not about to get started on a phd in my late 20s while research funding, especially climate/ecology adjacent research keeps getting cut. (Not that I'm that great a situation where I am either in this regard!)

Who else is going to save the oceans? It's got to be you.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

being able to write coherently is a surprisingly rare skill

Found sorely in area lacking I've been.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

it's sort of looking like the council laws on keeping goats in urban areas aren't as strict as i thought they were...

:getin:

Those laws were eaten by goats years ago for some reason...

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-agl0pOQfs

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i was sitting down, working away, when i had a sudden epiphany about my upcoming thanksgiving. i invited two people who loathe each other without thinking about it and now i'm going to be hosting world war 3

Wow obama and putin get the invite but not me???

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I used to think I was a bad writer then I realized I've probably written like 20 books by now if you combine all the chatting I've done online throughout my life.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t039p6xqutU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I'm mad that it's raining because it's cutting into my pokemon go time.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Davros from Doctor Who would be a better choice imho

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Forget the stupid app, just PM me your sins and I'll forgive you free of charge.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Grouchio posted:

How is she bad, compared to the rest of Trump's cabinet?

lol

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

you're so vicious :allears:

sng i'm an aspiring novelist too and next year i'm going to do what my family have been dreading all my life, quit my job to work full-time on my book. i never intended to do this but trump and leonard in one week have thrown my world view into total disarray and i am not entirely sure that we as a species will make it through another decade so my new philosophy is "gently caress it"

I think that's a good idea, good luck!!

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

lol thanks matoi

i trust your advice on life and careers about as much as i trust vanya's, i'm not sure if that means i do or don't trust it but either way it's the truth

Who wants a life spent on the grindstone? Follow your dreams!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Avshalom posted:

please raise your hand if you have not written or are not writing a book

I have not written a book in the past nor am I currently writing a book. I am however reading a book right now. It's about ireland.

• Locked thread