Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
In grade school, The Giver was good. I remember in fourth grade we were read Where The Red Fern Grows, and Summer of the Monkeys. As in the teacher read it to us. When we had a sub, she didn't want to, so one of the kids volunteered. And loving hell she was amazing at reading those dull books. When the teacher came back, we insisted the girl keep reading it. To this loving day I can't remember a drat thing about the fourth grade other than sitting and listening to Kerrianne Morgan read because she just had this voice that didn't put you to sleep and wasn't whining. She was made to give speeches. And the boring books actually were good then.

I loving hated Brighty of the Grand Canyon. Grade school, some dumb poo poo about a donkey. At the Grand Canyon. It was a huge deal for us to read, being we live in AZ, of course. I never wanted an animal dead so much as that goddamn donkey, even as a kid.

In high school, Pride and Prejudice was a loving drag. We watched Wuthering Heights and Sense and Sensibility. 1984 was a good read.

We did read a LOT of Flannery O'Connor. I really enjoyed it, to the point I bought her collection years later and still love reading it and trying to dissect the meanings of everything. I really wish we could have read "The Lame Shall Enter First" for all the idiot religious kids in the class who had the Holy Attitude pat.

Never had The Great Gatsby. Instead we had Things Fall Apart, which was about a African man who watched as his world, ahem, fell apart due to the white man. But it was so hard to read and understand, things just randomly seemed to happen. OH NO his favorite daughter is sick! Now she is being.....carried by some witch and run into the wilderness and brought back? Okay? Something about missionaries and lots of poo poo about not being lazy. The teacher didn't really care about no one in the class liking the book, might have made a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

PT6A posted:

We got to watch that and Polanski's adaptation of MacBeth. Good times...

We watched the version of Hamlet with Mel Gibson. But better was Othello with Kiefer Sutherland as Iago. I remember most the scene where he throws his wife on the bed, climbs on her, then looks RIGHT at the camera and starts a monologue. I remember the teacher having to rewind that because everyone in the class busted a gut laughing at it.

Wuthering Heights I remember mostly because it was very confusing where Cathy died, and suddenly she was perfectly fine again. Oh no, that is her daughter that is played by the same loving actress and has the same goddamn name. It was preferable to Pride and Prejudice, but I think had we watched the latter, it might have been more entertaining, at least the Donald Sutherland version.

• Locked thread