Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Occultic;Nine is a murder mystery, an investigation into a conspiracy, and a reflection on the nature of the afterlife.

It's weird, in a word. It's apparently by the guy who did Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate, and those were weird too, full of otaku characters who were intensely paranoid. This show is cut from the same cloth: the main character is a weirdo who runs a blog about the occult while he's socially anxious and a self-proclaimed NEET. (He is not, he goes to school.)

However, I find it more compelling than the others as the pacing of the show is incredibly fast and it's more than the main dude: there's a reporter for an occult magazine investigating the murder of a professor who left professional academia to investigate "Tesla's Theory", whatever that is, and there's a detective digging into the same murder but with an angle for conspiracy, there's the son of the professor who doesn't believe in the occult at all - and there's the local witch, who performs curses for hire, and believes she's haunted by a devil.

Is there magic? Or is it all science? gently caress knows.

Most of the show takes place here:

It's the Blue Moon Cafe, run by another weird guy who makes these horrible drinks with amazing presentation and he might be involved, but who knows?

Okay: the first episode apparently condenses an entire light novel into twenty minutes. It's fast and confusing, but I promise it gets better. Episode two slows down, and the entire show becomes this fast-paced, crunchy mystery where things are slowly revealed and unraveled and there's a lot of bizarre things. I'm surprised at how good it is! The twists in the latest episodes have been fascinating, and I have no idea how on earth the show will tie everything together, but the ride so far is enthralling.

Give it a shot, if you haven't!

I promise it's good, character designs aside.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I almost feel like Ryo-Tas and the manager could be red herrings, given how obvious it seems that they know more than they show.

Like, the manager for certain is part of the conspiracy given his role and the lingering camera shots on him, but hrrm. I trust nothing in this show, especially given the author's love of misdirection/delusions.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Also can we please talk about the elephant in the room here? Occultic is clearly not a word, right? Like I get that Japanese can't do English all that well, but you'd think they could catch it somewhere in production. Even the subs are doing it, what the hell?

I know it's not a word, but it's easy enough to understand as a word that functions like "occult-y" or "like something occult", so it's...not something I took an issue with? I mean, what would you replace it with?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Miss Nomer posted:

I want to find out what the "bug" was that lead the shady group to put down all 256 of them

I feel it's kind of obvious that the bug is Yuta, so to speak. Something weird about how he processes data or something - I'm just guessing, I don't know what the specific is yet, but given how the detective lady couldn't read anything off of him...

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Speaking of talking too fast, does anyone know of any other anime where they talk at a similar speed? The fast pace and zippy dialogue is honestly one of the more appealing things about the show for me. I think there's...Tatami Galaxy? But - anything else?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Blhue posted:

-monogatari

You know, I managed to completely forget about that series - I enjoyed the first season and never saw the rest of it, so I guess I might as well treat myself to a marathon. Thanks!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

darkgray posted:

There's a game? I thought this was a light novel series.

According to wikipedia, there was a game adaptation of the light novels announced in 2015.

As for the novels, as I understand it they're permanently unfinished - there are only two out of four. So I have no clue how the anime is going to resolve.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

hahaha you have no idea what you're getting into

Bakemonogatari is good! I enjoyed rewatching it, and Nisemonogatari is more of the same so far and I'm enjoying it! (Fanservice aside, I do wish it would tone the fanservice down.) It's weird, and surprisingly slow - compared to O;9 it takes oceans of time to go anywhere, which is kind of frustrating, but oh well.

It's kind of weird to say, but the pace of O;9 remains one of the most appealing things about it to me, as - well, I'm a fast reader. It's one of the few shows that's kept up with me and it's soothing to listen to? Lots of words, lots of details to take in, and you have to think about the plot afterwards and rewatch it a few times - and it's just this weirdly satisfying surreal show. Unfortunately I haven't watched the latest episodes yet so I can't comment on any details, but I'm really looking forward to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I know I'm late to marathoning the second half of this, but this show is pretty great.

e: I love that I'm watching the final ep of this and they're still taking the time to explain pseudoscience/science concepts to each other.

e2: Exactly twelve minutes from the end and the character work is kind of falling apart / there's some deus ex machina stuff going on, but whatever! This show is a good time, and as long as my favorite character comes out of this intact I'll be happy. (It's Sarai.)

e3: I can't believe it turned into a jrpg at the end. This show. :allears:

e4: Last edit. This show was a glorious mess - went at a breakneck pace, crammed far too much into its runtime, and left a whole bunch of loose ends - but I'm happy I saw it. That was fun, and I'm thrilled to see it's getting a visual novel - just what it needs to breathe. Fingers crossed that gets an english translation quickly!

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Feb 7, 2017

• Locked thread