Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Miacis posted:

but I kinda miss the FEGBA supports giving strong, affinity-based bonuses that don't require glueing two characters together.

Once they've supported sure, but you have to glue them together for an eternity to get those bonuses in the first place. I think PoR did supports best in that you unlocked them just by using the two units on the same map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Here's some more fan art. This time I made it. I'm sorry.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Miacis posted:

Shadow Dragon removed the support limit, and replaced it with much smaller support pools and literally no support conversations (you just get the naked stat bonuses)

Yeah, I'm gonna try to explain this in a future update but it's a really weird and sorta obscured system. The game never tells you it exists, for one, and the only way I know anything about what it does is Serenes, after like 4 playthroughs of this game.

What I'm saying is that I'll probably gently caress it up. (I say as I edit the first update to remove the part where I already hosed up what a stat does)

Camel Pimp posted:

Here's some more fan art. This time I made it. I'm sorry.

This is so good. :allears: Added to the OP.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 10, 2016

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

Once they've supported sure, but you have to glue them together for an eternity to get those bonuses in the first place. I think PoR did supports best in that you unlocked them just by using the two units on the same map.

I know I said it like twice already, but I'm so obsessed with the idea I'll say it again.

9/12's Map # support unlocked conditions combined with the sheer amount of 13 and 14, with some kind of postgame grindable maps so you can actually play the game without grinding them, is the absolute best theyre going to get the support system. I need this for 15, I grinded all the supports for Awakening that was enough, just let me have peace of mind and enjoy the drat games please.

On the subject of 15, I kind of hope its a rehaul of 4 like this was of 1. I just really want to see what they can do with the game if they can give it the 12 treatment, though I've been asking for this since the release of 13.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Chapter 3: Unfortunately Named Bandits

Alright, that’s enough pirates. We’re done with pirates!

Mostly. Let’s go climb a mountain.

This chapter name is so much better than anything I could come up with, drat.

You can see the little line connecting us to our previous location on the bottom screen there, it’s pretty neat.

: Since before anyone could remember, the mountains had belonged to bandits, blights on the land whose acts of plunder, kidnapping, and arson knew no bounds. Out of fear, their victims gave these peaks another name: the Ghoul’s Teeth; while the bandits who ruled atop the Teeth’s craggy crowns took a name as well: the Samsooth Sires, or Soothsires…

That’s a dumb name. Dumb names are the theme of today’s map.

Looks like a Thief and a Cleric. And they’re blue. That’s always good.

: Rumor has it the knights of Altea are at the foot of the mountain. We won’t get a better chance. It’s just a little bit farther. Stick with me.

: You go on ahead…Save yourself! Here, I could use this Warp staff to send you someplace safe-

: Uh-uh, honey. No can do. I didn’t betray my boys back there so you could zap me on out of here alone. Forget the staff; I’ll come back later and get it for you myself. All right? Right now though, I need you to RUN. Tick-tock, now move that frock!

So, I’m using the Serenes Forest online script for this game, and it’s got a few typos. One being that the last line is transcribed as “Tick-tack”. That’s just the first one I noticed because it gets in the way of the rhyming!

Uh oh. Seems someone isn’t too happy with this. He’s even busting out his catchphrase.

So, the main gimmick for this map is that we’re basically fighting on two fronts. All of our usual units are in the bottom right, with Jagen bizarrely west of everyone else. We’re just pushing northwest. Which we have in every map so far. Huh.

But we also have to help out these two on the east.

This is Julian, our first Thief. Julian is good just because of his utility. We’ll encounter locked doors and chests, and Julian doesn’t need keys for either. His combat actually isn’t too shabby either, though he’ll never be very durable, so he’s a bit high risk. I’m pretty happy to have him, though.

Lena is the best Cleric in the game. She shows up with an automatic C in Staves, the ABSURDLY GOOD Warp staff, and even an exclusive stave only she can use later. In addition, her stat growths are good. She’s got good Luck, is tied for the highest Resistance Growth in the game, and the second best Magic. You could swap her to a Mage and still get some good results.

A solid hit will kill her easily, though. She has our first NEGATIVE personal growth rate, -5% HP. Thankfully each class grants their own bonus rates, and that’s enough to ensure she at least always has a chance at it. Still, don’t count on her to tank anything. She’s really best as a staff user.

The fearsome swordsman mentioned last time is here, and he and his minions will give chase to our new friends. We should probably stop them.

Thankfully, the mountains form a natural chokepoint, so the Cavaliers, along with Draug and Cord, should serve as sufficient backup.

Everyone else just rushes west. There’s even a village here! Jagen’s just...already here.

All of these units will start to run for us, as well as three fighters from the western group of foes.

I’m trying to strategically position Caeda here. It’s pretty crucial she goes with the east group. There’s no hint for this, and I missed it on my first playthrough years ago.

Julian and Lena pretty easily clear out, and Draug blocks the whole canyon with his powerful defense.

So I realized the others can probably just go :v: I kept a Cavalier over there, though!

What treasure could lie in wait?

: Such a warm smile here deserves a nice reward. Here, take this axe-

:stonk:

Oh gently caress you.

The Devil Axe is an immensely powerful weapon...with a drawback. Sometimes it decides to hit YOU instead. Luck lowers the chance of it happening, but I don’t have the exact numbers. I believe the formula is “If:FucksThePlayerOver=yes
Then:SelfDamage”.

Anyway, Caeda’s got a great vantage point to wipe out the only ranged member of the eastern bandits.

G’night!

The Fighters come a bit staggered, but we can lure one into attacking Darros.

Marth can also chat with our new pal, Julian. This isn’t required to recruit him, he does that automatically.

: Stop! Whoa! I’m...I’m not your enemy!

: Huh?

(I tried to get the blink, I really did.)

: See, now I’m a good guy! Lena gave me a reason to- well, let’s just say I’ve had a change of heart.

I don’t think they ever explain how Lena got Julian to swap sides, aside from “she’s pretty and he has a crush”. That might just be it. It would fit him pretty well.

: ……

: Hm, not explainin’ myself very well, am I? OK, OK, what I’m trying to say is-

: Yes. You can come with us.

: Oh...Well...well, good.

Julian is a pretty good dork.

: I’m inclined to trust you. If you’ve truly had a change of heart, you deserve the chance to prove it. Show me you’re ready to help people, and then I’ll know I’ve picked a man of character.

: Wow. That’s… Thanks! I couldn’t ask for a better deal!

While they were chatting the rest of the crew mopped up the first fighter. He didn’t go all the way to Darros.

I’d prefer Strength, but I like those.

I think Draug ought to be okay up here.

One of them went back for Caeda, though. That’s impolite.

Fighters do have a bit of an issue hitting stuff. The hit formula is generous in FE11, though. In the GBA games this would have been way worse.

Also, Julian cleans up nicely.

Castor is one point from a kill here. :smith:

At least Marth can benefit.

Now then, that’s it for the Fighters. There are a few Hunters northwest of us, though…

A bit of lure, with a ranged rebuttal attached. Ought to work.

Uh oh, Jagen’s bored again. He’s chatting up the villagers.

I already mentioned that.

This guy is still bothering me, though. We could use some reinforcements. If only someone were around to help.

Well then.

(almost always)

: What? Who are you? Fly away, girl, before someone decides to swat you.

: Please, Navarre. Why fight for nothing when you can fight for something? Leave this rabble. Lend your sword to our cause. Or, if you will not, then turn it on me now instead.

: …Nay, I’ll turn no blade of mine on a women. If you’re willing to pay for my services with your life, then consider yourself the high bidder. My sword is yours.

He’s totally lying, he’ll chop Lena to ribbons if he gets close. Or Caeda, for that matter, unless you talk to him first. I think he’s just shy around girls. :allears:

Or, like Castor, he saw her casually murder a guy with a javelin and reconsidered. Honestly, viable option.

:smith:

So, let’s talk about...Na...varre? Nabarl? It depends where you live and what translation you like. Navabarle is a Myrmidon, which is like the Mercenary, but faster and with more skill in exchange for strength and bulk. They were the same class in the original.

Nav himself is pretty much the perfect example of his class. He’s quick, he’ll smash his foes with crits, but he doesn’t have the tanking capability of, say, Ogma. So I don’t like him as much, but he’s definitely very good. He also comes with a C in Swords and the Killing Edge, which adds a huge bonus to Crit chance. He’s quite a useful pickup.

Also, the Abel Bait worked smoothly. Come to me, my foolish hunters. :getin:

Oh hey, this is pretty much Navarre.png. Not a ton of HP, but drat if he’s not going to crit this guy into oblivion.

While I have the chance, we can chat with Lena too.

: Yes… Thank you.

: These mountains are dangerous. My forces will draw the enemy away; use that time to escape.

: No, I wish to help.

: But…you… What?

Marth, she’s a Cleric. Helping is like, her thing.

: Please, sire. I am a cleric. I cannot bear to watch others come to harm when I have the power to help.

Yeah, that!

: Well…all right… But I don’t wish to see you come to harm, either.

: I will be careful. Thank you, sire.

Just stay behind that pirate and you’ll be alright.

Draug pretty much has everything covered up here, so we can forget about this half of the battle and move onto our final push to the Soothsire lair!

Meanwhile, these two will battle for eternity...or until Draug just kills him.

I approach the castle by putting a bulky guy in range of the goons to lure them close. Look, there’s not a ton of variety early on here.

Yikes, though, that’s a big number on Abel. The last Soothsire guard on the right has a Steel Axe, which makes him pretty dangerous, if inaccurate.

Then again...I have one too. Barst :allears:

Yoink.

drat, no mercy for these guys.

There’s a semi-hidden armory behind the boss. I’m sending Caeda to it.

Also, while getting ready to fight the boss, Wrys’ staves level up :toot:

Not much we haven’t seen. Grabbed one of everything but the Hammer.

So, uh, in Europe this next boss is called “Reynard”. In the US…

: And Sir Jagen, what was the name of the fearsome bandit leader?

: Erm...uh…

: Gouber. The fearsome Gouber.

: Ha. What a dork.

Hy...Gouber’s got a Hand Axe. Honestly he’s pretty much the same boss Gomer was.

He’s still quite a threat, though. He’s also got Lena’s mend staff!

The biggest issue with Gouber is his speed. 14 is hefty for this point of the game, and a double from him could send most of our units to an early grave.

Like usual, Ogma is an exception.

I feel like I’m leaning on him a bit much, though…and there is a save point on this map.

Do I dare?

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: IT’S DEVIL TIME.

HahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA! :black101:

Probably yes.

I love this man. I love Barst.

:toot:

: This money will buy plenty of new equipment for your army. Tomorrow is the day, sire, when we finally arrive in Aurelis. Be sure to rest up tonight.

Three good new units? 15k free gold? I’m happy with this.

Next time I google what a “Lea” is so I sound impressive on the internet.

Bonus Content (wow!)

Here’s the guy we just got.

There are like five different Nacards, so I’m saving some of them for later. For now, though, take this Tokyo Mirage Sessions edgy boy!

I am unsure why his arm is a Slinky.

P.S.: If you’re reading this live, today this game has been rereleased on Wii U! If you want to play it, it’s there, it’s 10 bucks, and you don’t have to put up with me the whole time. So I mean, there’s that!

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 10, 2016

tunapirate
Aug 15, 2015
Realized as I read this last chapter that I view Jagen as Joe-Biden-with-spiky-epaulettes.

Now I'm sad that I sacrificed him in the run I just started :(

LordHippoman posted:

P.S.: If you’re reading this live, today this game has been rereleased on Wii U! If you want to play it, it’s there, it’s 10 bucks, and you don’t have to put up with me the whole time. So I mean, there’s that!

Because what this game really needs is to be run at a resolution that'll make the textures look even worse

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

HahahahaHAHAHAHAHAHA! :black101:

I love this man. I love Barst.

The Devil Axe is pleased, and is giving you a taste of power. It craves more blood! :kheldragar:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ah, using the devil axe. That takes me back to Tena Crane's lp. They're such fun weapons in the dwarf fortress sense of the word.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Camel Pimp posted:

I will never understand why didn't didn't continue with 8-4 when they brought Fates over. (I replayed Awakening recently, and it really struck me how much better that script reads, ya know?)

It's was strictly a time release thing. Awakening took close to a year for localization, so the only way to release 3 games in a relatively short amount of time (less than a year), they had to do in-house or Fates just be coming out now.

8-4 also already was under contract for a different huge rpg in xenoblade chronicles x.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

And at this point you remember that Marth was asked to bring Lena back to Galder, and never does. Either she didn't actually like the place, or Marth isn't the hero the writers intended him to be.

Worth noting: there are no such thing as Neutral units in this game. Thinking back, they were introduced in Geneology.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Barst has passed the Devil Axe TestTM. Now let's see if our other axe users can pass the test.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

So, I’m using the Serenes Forest online script for this game, and it’s got a few typos. One being that the last line is transcribed as “Tick-tack”. That’s just the first one I noticed because it gets in the way of the rhyming!

Clearly you need to re-transcribe the entire game and do it properly this time!

You missed something :colbert:

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
So have you guys ever been taken totally aback by a character whose name is the same as yours? Because our new thief friend did that to me on my first playthrough. It was really weird!
Also; this is where the anime OVA ends; there was a really great swordfight between Navarre and Oguma as well.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

It's was strictly a time release thing. Awakening took close to a year for localization, so the only way to release 3 games in a relatively short amount of time (less than a year), they had to do in-house or Fates just be coming out now.

8-4 also already was under contract for a different huge rpg in xenoblade chronicles x.

Yeah, that makes sense. The bit that confuses me is how IS outsourced the supports.

Those were the writing aspect people liked in Awakening. They showed that they know how to make compelling and likable characters, despite juggling a massive cast. But instead they outsource it, meaning worse writing that doesn't sync with the main game at all for two of the routes. (I'm mainly thinking of how Birthright strongly implies Garon was married, then in mourning, then married again, with all his kids coming from his first wife, where the supports say he sowed his wild oats all over the field).

Outsourcing the main plot makes some sense with the game's reception. Outsourcing the one bit people loved is bizarre.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

tunapirate posted:

Realized as I read this last chapter that I view Jagen as Joe-Biden-with-spiky-epaulettes.

Gotta find a way to cram "This is a big fuckin' deal" into a future update now.

AradoBalanga posted:

Barst has passed the Devil Axe TestTM. Now let's see if our other axe users can pass the test.

Tempting.

MightyPretenders posted:

And at this point you remember that Marth was asked to bring Lena back to Galder, and never does. Either she didn't actually like the place, or Marth isn't the hero the writers intended him to be.

In Shadow Dragon you can pretty safely assume that no plot thread other than "Marth is gonna go beat up a dragon" will really ever be followed up on again.

vilkacis posted:

You missed something :colbert:

dammit I only checked the top screens

Actually, this is Jagen being an unreliable narrator. That's what I'm sticking with. This LP is artistic now.

Sjs00 posted:

So have you guys ever been taken totally aback by a character whose name is the same as yours? Because our new thief friend did that to me on my first playthrough. It was really weird!
Also; this is where the anime OVA ends; there was a really great swordfight between Navarre and Oguma as well.

There's this bizarre phenomenon for me where every character who has my name seems to be an rear end. It was very discouraging when I was like, 6. And I think I watched the anime like, years ago, I'll have to look it up again for this thread because I remember enjoying parts of it, thanks for reminding me.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. The bit that confuses me is how IS outsourced the supports.

Those were the writing aspect people liked in Awakening. They showed that they know how to make compelling and likable characters, despite juggling a massive cast. But instead they outsource it, meaning worse writing that doesn't sync with the main game at all for two of the routes. (I'm mainly thinking of how Birthright strongly implies Garon was married, then in mourning, then married again, with all his kids coming from his first wife, where the supports say he sowed his wild oats all over the field).

Outsourcing the main plot makes some sense with the game's reception. Outsourcing the one bit people loved is bizarre.

I don't have anything to contribute except to say that, while I think Fates' supports are generally pretty weird and bad, there's one about a guy having a civil conversation with a bear and trying to get it to politely leave and that was good.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I watched the anime pretty recently, and good GOD did they butcher poor Caeda.

LordHippoman posted:

dammit I only checked the top screens

Honestly, that makes it funnier

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sjs00 posted:

I'm actually in the sequel, Man now I wish I was around for the 12 LP so I could demand Robert use at all times.

LordHippoman posted:

There's this bizarre phenomenon for me where every character who has my name seems to be an rear end. It was very discouraging when I was like, 6. And I think I watched the anime like, years ago, I'll have to look it up again for this thread because I remember enjoying parts of it, thanks for reminding me.

Same, the first time I ever saw my name was in Ueki and I was the drat antagonist. Now I'm usually a random NPC, in Trails of Cold Steel I was a dude with a lovely Gf telling the protags to gently caress off and stop interrupting my date, he gets a special mention in the game of NPCs for that.

LordHippoman posted:

He’s totally lying, he’ll chop Lena to ribbons if he gets close. Or Caeda, for that matter, unless you talk to him first. I think he’s just shy around girls.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt it implied that every single dude Caeda recruits has a crush on her? Or is it just me.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 11, 2016

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

MythosDragon posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt it implied that every single dude Caeda recruits has a crush on her? Or is it just me.

I think they only really push that angle hard with Roger. One of the bonus maps from the BS Fire Emblem games has Rickard pointing out that Navarre just gets really, really awkward trying to talk to women. I think the anime gives him some odd backstory about that with his girlfriend being murdered protecting him or something like that, but I don't entirely remember, and it's not canon to the game, IIRC.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

I think they only really push that angle hard with Roger. One of the bonus maps from the BS Fire Emblem games has Rickard pointing out that Navarre just gets really, really awkward trying to talk to women. I think the anime gives him some odd backstory about that with his girlfriend being murdered protecting him or something like that, but I don't entirely remember, and it's not canon to the game, IIRC.

Considering I love Roger, he probably just overwrote my memories then.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

You know, this LP's been missing something, and I think I just figured out what it is

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Camel Pimp posted:

You know, this LP's been missing something, and I think I just figured out what it is

PERFECT, Also while I have you here, Thank you for subjecting yourself to Dragon Song so I didnt have to.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

:allears:

Shame I'm on my laptop, otherwise I'd toss in Steve's mask too. Er, the eye one, not the ninja mask thing.

Don't think I've made it here yet, just wanted to say it's good to see you back in the saddle already, Hippo. :patriot: And yeah, I think we talked about RF2 in the thread already, but you spend the first half with tutorial gameplay (no crafting, no special tools, etc.) but normal talkin' and datin', and then the child protaganist part where you have full gameplay but really simplified character stuff (and yes, even by HM/RF standards). I don't think there's any point in the game where the traditional audience is happy. :sweatdrop:

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Camel Pimp posted:

Perfect! I wonder how Jagen would look with it?

Perhaps that's something for later in the thread ;)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Is this gonna turn into another "Einjeriar steal Freya's hat" thread?

(Please say yes)

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug
I forgot to comment on it earlier, but now that I am thinking about it again, I just wanted to say:

The Navbarvelarble joke will always be my favorite thing.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Wayne posted:

:allears:

Shame I'm on my laptop, otherwise I'd toss in Steve's mask too. Er, the eye one, not the ninja mask thing.

Don't think I've made it here yet, just wanted to say it's good to see you back in the saddle already, Hippo. :patriot: And yeah, I think we talked about RF2 in the thread already, but you spend the first half with tutorial gameplay (no crafting, no special tools, etc.) but normal talkin' and datin', and then the child protaganist part where you have full gameplay but really simplified character stuff (and yes, even by HM/RF standards). I don't think there's any point in the game where the traditional audience is happy. :sweatdrop:

In all honesty, at this point I expect LPers to willingly subject themselves to games most wouldnt, Its worked out pretty well so far. I never really had an issue with that part myself it was the "Push button to run, moving really awkardly at all times, and no skills thing" since I started with 3.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Torrannor posted:

Perfect! I wonder how Jagen would look with it?

Eh, I think this is more Jagen's speed

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

MythosDragon posted:

In all honesty, at this point I expect LPers to willingly subject themselves to games most wouldnt,

I'm not saying he shouldn't do it. :ssh:

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I watched Zain stream Tokyo Jam Sessions earlier this year. None of us had played Fire Emblem but had varying degrees of familiarity with the LPs here, so we kept tossing around anecdotes and turning to the Wikia/Serenes for stuff we didn't remember. I don't remember Narvabarl showing up, though, guess he didn't get that far. That design is actually kind of cool, slinky arm aside.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

Camel Pimp posted:

:vince:

This is some prime thread content (Especially since I've proven in the past I can't edit portraits for poo poo.). Thanks again, Camel Pimp. :allears:

Glaive17 posted:

I forgot to comment on it earlier, but now that I am thinking about it again, I just wanted to say:

The Navbarvelarble joke will always be my favorite thing.

Good, because I do not have very many jokes, so we're going to have to go economy here.

Wayne posted:

I'm not saying he shouldn't do it. :ssh:

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I watched Zain stream Tokyo Jam Sessions earlier this year. None of us had played Fire Emblem but had varying degrees of familiarity with the LPs here, so we kept tossing around anecdotes and turning to the Wikia/Serenes for stuff we didn't remember. I don't remember Narvabarl showing up, though, guess he didn't get that far. That design is actually kind of cool, slinky arm aside.

I just got to the part where Navanime shows up myself. It's at (minor character spoilers for the spinoff game) The start of the third chapter, with the dapper smug heterochromia guy. Somehow I knew it was him. I'm progressing very slowly because I'm really not too into it, unfortunately.

And, I mean, I'll look at Rune Factory 2 a little more, but what I said earlier still kinda has me convinced at this point. (Also, embarrassingly, I didn't know my RF1 LP was live on the archive until today, like a week+ after it got posted. I should twitter stalk the LPArchive account more.)

Next update shouldn't take too much longer, but I've gotta write a lot of poo poo about reclassing.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 13, 2016

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Its really sad that Persona Emblem is the singular game I have interest in on the Wii U, I'm thinking about buying it and borrowing my friends Wii U just to get that system over with.

Does anyone else have an issue with reclassing? Idk, I'm a bit of a stickler for canon so it bothers me when I do it, I've literally gotten through 3 plays and like a dozen half assed ones of 11 here without touching it beyond the menu interface. It didnt bother me much in 13 because Level 20/20 Support Grinding and wasting Exp being a literal sin to me.

And yeah I read it on the archive, its only the past month that I've finally decided to use my account and participate in LPs, and I didnt feel like reading the thread.

P.S I expect another Christmas edit like the one in the 12 lp, and I wont take no for an answer :colbert:.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 13, 2016

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
I like reclassing when it's limited by character class sets. It gives just enough room for unit customization while also adding personality to the character, showing other skills they may have, or hidden talents. Chrom is royalty, so him having cavalry and archery skills makes sense. Kellam has a gimmick that makes him ideal for thievery, and his personality is closer to a priest's than a combatant. Cordelia is the only Dark Mage candidate that is neither a mage nor evil... what does that tell us about her? And so on.
It reminds me a little of the backgrounds in 13th Age, where a character's history grants them a varied set of skills. Compare that to traditional Fire Emblem where Archerman can't do anything in life that isn't pulling arrows.

Imagine if that system was in this game. What if you looked at the Trio of Bad Fighter, Other Bad Fighter and Good Fighter and saw:
Bord: Fighter - Cavalier - Knight
Cord: Fighter - Hunter - Dark mage
Barst: Fighter - Pirate - Mercenary
That alone would say way more about the three of them than pretty much all the lines they have in this game. And it could also help point the player at actually viable reclassing options...

Of course, ideally, character portraits would be somewhat class-neutral to avoid the classic "Kellam's giant mass of steel looks stupid for a thief" problem, and neither Awakening or Fates tried to do that in the slightest.
Or even better: different versions of character mugs, based on their class. Now that would be sick (and a better investment of ressources than skinship ever was), but maybe I'm dreaming a bit too much at this point.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 14, 2016

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

Sir Jagen, he is a SIRIUS_

(Looks good on him, too.)

MythosDragon posted:

Does anyone else have an issue with reclassing?

It's been strictly a second+ run thing for me (with the exception of getting my Mary Sue out of their special snowflake sword class and one that uses proper weapons asap). I like branching promotions more than base class changes.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 4: Lea: An open area of grassy or arable land. (Prep)

We’ve got some more Shadow Dragon today. We’re going to be introduced to a key gameplay element today, the prep screen a ton of Horse People.

Oh, and since I haven’t shown it yet, here’s the Marth sprite that jogs across the World Map between chapters. It’s kinda great.

gently caress talys, imo

: However, joining his might to that of the Aurelians would have to wait. As Marth descended into the vast green lea separating his troops from theirs, he heard a terrible sound: the galloping of enemy destriers, far away…then closer…Then far too close.

The map will start with us nowhere near the cavaliers.

: The enemy will have sent their forces to meet us. Grust, Dolhr, Gra..We’re up against their standing armies, and we must brace ourselves for it.

“Malledus, please wake up, we’re bracing.”

What’s this? A gameplay shift! Sorta!

: We should select the warriors best suited for the situation and outfit them with the right weapons and items accordingly.

: All right, that’s sound advice. I believe I’ll take it.

Welcome to the Prep Screen!

From now on, before each battle, this screen allows you to make adjustments to your units, scout the map, fiddle with options, and so forth. I’ll be explaining each of those menu options in this update. I’ll be adding more into subsequent prep screens, namely some of the Base Conversations from FE12, which add a little more personality to our units, who right now are...dull. Really, really dull. But this one’s got enough in it already.

Also from now on, I’m splitting the updates into “Prep” and “Battle”. If you read FE12 it’s the same as that. If you didn’t, basically the Prep updates are me making preparations, talking strategy stuff, reclassing, etc. The Battle updates are actual gameplay, so if all I just talked about bores the hell out of you, feel free to skip it. This just helps me divide things up easier, as well as cut down on individual update size.

The first option, “Pick Units”, lets you choose which units will participate in battle. There’s a cap from now on, it varies, but 14 is about what you should expect. There’s limited XP in this game (mostly), so you’ll typically want to stick with a core team. I’m dropping Bord because I like Barst more, Gordin because his one good moment was when they called him “gaggles”, and Jagen because...I’m sorry, buddy, I really am :smith:

“Inventory” lets you mess with character inventories. You can trade items between units, merge two inventories together, access your Convoy, etc.

For example, I used the “List” command to get a list of Staves, then grabbed the Mend from Barst to give to Lena. It’s pretty easy to use.

“Armory” lets you buy and sell weapons. The Forge is something interesting I’ll explain later.

Unfortunately, you can only buy the most basic type of each weapon here. It will never upgrade.

“View Map” is one of the big ones. You can swap the starting positions of any units you deploy, except Marth.

This is also how I’m going to scout the map so I don’t have to awkwardly try to segue into it mid-battle anymore.

For example, I can show you that right to the north of the start is this squadron of dickheads who are just going to rush us from the side of the lake! Great!

There’s also a thief right to the west.

Probably just to destroy this village slightly west of him. That’s something I’ll need to find an answer for. (Cavaliers.)

North of that is our goal, unfortunately it’s across a narrow bridge guarded by two Archers and a Knight. There’s also another village, and…a ton of empty space. A lot of Shadow Dragon’s maps feel weirdly empty.

Most notably up there is this squad of mounted units. These guys do not wait around, and they will rush us from the start. There’s a nasty surprise hidden here, this one has an Armorslayer, which is triple damage to Knights. Be careful, Draug!

We also get our first Promoted foes, and they’re Horsemen. Horsemen are promoted Hunters, and they’re pretty dangerous right now. That’s a lot of movement. They can also use swords, but these guys didn’t have them, I guess.

...there’s also...matthis…

Ahem. Anyway, the boss, Bentheon, is a bit different from the others we’ve fought. Namely he’s not as hard, but he’s got another rude surprise for people who aren’t looking at the top screen. He’s got a Ridersbane. Triple damage to cavalry. That’ll one shot Cain and Abel easily.

There’s also an Arena.

:getin:

I’ll get to that next time.

Oh boy here’s the big one.

RECLASSING is a new feature added into Shadow Dragon. It allows you to change a character’s class, up to a cap of units in a single class. You might see on the right there that we can only have so many of each unit type. That will rise as the game goes on and we get more natural units of that class. I think it’s N+1.

Not only does changing classes change the weapons you can use, it changes your stats. Each class sorta has a baseline, and it’ll adjust accordingly.

It also affects Growth Rates. Not only does each character have their own growth rates, the class they are adds its Growths to the equation when Level Ups get calculated. They’re kinda what you’d expect, Knights get more Defense, Myrmidons get more Speed, but I’ll link to the SerenesForest chart if you want to get really into the details: Class Growth Rates

This enables a lot of fun loving around. Want to take advantage of Navarre’s natural speed to make an Archer who gets lots of doubles? Go nuts. Want a bald Swordmaster? Wrys. Keep in mind that you’ll start at an E rank for any weapons you don’t have proficiency in yet, though, so that can be a drawback.

Not only that, units are limited to reclassing within their class sets. They are as follows:

Female units get Pegasus Knight, Archer, Mage, Cleric, and Myrmidon, with access to Paladin on promotion.

Male units that start in Cavalier, Archer, Myrmidon, Mage, or Curate can swap between those, or into Dracoknight on promotion.

Male units that start in Fighter, Pirate, Hunter, Dark Mage, Knight, or Mercenary can swap between those.

Some special units, like Marth or Julian, cannot reclass at all.

Again, I plan on messing with this more than I did in the last game, so if you have any ideas, feel free to pitch them!

Speaking of Dark Mages, there are no natural recruitable Dark Mages in the game! They’re basically Mages that don’t hit as hard, but get more Resistance and Speed. I like them, but who to choose?

Ta da. For some unknowable reason, perhaps for reclass rewarding, Cord has a personal Magic Growth of 10%, which is tied with most natural mages. He can never use it in his natural class. Now he can. But we’ll need to outfit him properly.

Let’s go to the Forge! The Forge lets you adjust the stats of most weapons, excluding some special ones with unique effects (Like the Devil Axe). You can increase (or decrease) Might, Hit Chance, Critical Chance, and Weight, but each change makes the Forge more costly, and you can only Forge once per map.

To help him get off the ground, I bought Cord a basic Fire tome and jacked it up here.

You can also rename the weapon if you want. Cord is still using axes, see! (This is why I welcome any name suggestions.)

I think that’s the last great Infodump in the game. Hopefully you’ll join me next time as we investigate the Lea and its Destriers and wonder why they whipped out the thesaurus for this one.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 16, 2016

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
What insane backwards world is this where dark mages are faster and less powerful instead of the axe users of the magical sphere? Since you said you gave hin a fire tome I'm assuming magic weapons triangle doesn't exist?

Also, it's worth noting that the triple damage against certain units is tripling before defense is applied, as opposed to crits which multiply after defence, which is a very important distinction against knights.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I really like idea to make Cord a dark mage and a part of our core team.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

vilkacis posted:

It's been strictly a second+ run thing for me (with the exception of getting my Mary Sue out of their special snowflake sword class and one that uses proper weapons asap). I like branching promotions more than base class changes.

Now I'm upset that theres no tri-part staffs in Fire Emblem. Still cant bring myself to use it even on a 3rd run tbh.

I'm replaying 12 because of this and actually reading your 12 LP rather than just having it bookmarked. I'd replay 11, but well its 11. Anyway I think 12 is the pinnacle of the series from an objective view point, its the most balanced of the FEs. It has a bit more of a plot than normal cuz remake, it has the traditional gameplay we all love, but it also has a bit of the support focus of 13 and 14 even if its only in relation to the Avatar. I'd have to choose 13 as my favorite due to being a story gamer, but I really have to give it to 12, and if 15 isnt a remake of 4, I really hope they dial back to a balanced focus like 12 had. I also want to tell you that I'm one of those crazy people you referred to that solo'd the final boss with Feena, and I only used a few stat boosters cuz my luck was insane.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 16, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

poo poo, with a reclass system like that, redundant characters might actually see some use now.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

What insane backwards world is this where dark mages are faster and less powerful instead of the axe users of the magical sphere? Since you said you gave hin a fire tome I'm assuming magic weapons triangle doesn't exist?

Also, it's worth noting that the triple damage against certain units is tripling before defense is applied, as opposed to crits which multiply after defence, which is a very important distinction against knights.

Yeah, that gave me pause too, I like, triple checked Serenes but it's true. Dark Mages have -10% Magic, but +5% Speed and +10% Res on normal Mages. Which is...not how they usually work?

Also yes, magic triangle isn't a thing in this game. It's all just filed under "Tomes".

RareAcumen posted:

poo poo, with a reclass system like that, redundant characters might actually see some use now.

Thus the Cord. It's really weird that he just has like, one weird outlier stat, but he does and it's kinda cool.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

LordHippoman posted:

Ta da. For some unknowable reason, perhaps for reclass rewarding, Cord has a personal Magic Growth of 10%, which is tied with most natural mages. He can never use it in his natural class. Now he can. But we’ll need to outfit him properly.

Converting an axe-wielder into a book nerd? At last, the cycle is complete.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
I'm all for keeping the woodcutting occultist in the team for as long as possible. Although there is a possible replacement coming up a bit later if the RNG gods feel merciless.

My last run of FE11 was pretty much "outliers only, kill all the others," so if my reclassing experience is any word of advice (it really isn't), Darros makes a rather competent top-heavy Mercenary/Axe Hero (or a Knight I guess), Draug is an excellent speedy Hunter and Wrys is so utterly outclassed by Lena you might as well make him a bald Mage.

But it's also kinda sad Jagen isn't coming along in his last adventure... His magic growth isn't bad as a Sage or a Bishop, and staves are awesome, so that's an option (Niccolo represent!). Or go the Caeda² route, Dragonmaster+Slayer Weapons to fly around and instakill problem enemies.

• Locked thread