Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
So inspired by the FE7 LP I've been attempting to do a woman (and Marth) only run of this game. I'm doing it on normal, though, so it's not really been very hard. Also I've been pretty flagrantly using all of the male units as meat shields (partially to get to 6x, but also because I can.) It's weird, but mass sacrificing your units is... fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Were ballasticians in FE3?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I keep forgetting this village exists. I have missed it on both of my playthroughs of this game.

LordHippoman posted:

Sadly Jiol has no special battle lines. I don’t think anyone does in Shadow Dragon.

Minerva and her brother has some. Apparently the final boss and Nagi do as well? Probably more I haven't seen.

Hey, half-way decent looking Catria art. That's rare.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

Palla’s implied to have a bit of a thing for a certain fellow green haired mounted unit. It’s not Sedgar.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

vilkacis posted:

You had a perfect opportunity to name this file "sadgar" :rant:

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

Oddly, a portrait for Ghostly Glowy Gotoh doesn’t seem to exist. I think they just put a filter over his normal one.

You can get one from Spriters Resources. But that's boring.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Y'know...bad level ups are like, 57% of what makes Fire Emblem LP's fun but...drat. This is getting sad. Did you piss off an old gypsy woman before starting this LP? Are you ok? Can I get you a cup of tea?

It's really not THAT bad for Shadow Dragon, really.

As a matter of fact, there are a few characters that have worse growths in Shadow Dragon than in the original version. Est has much worse growths in Shadow Dragon, which is... annoying. There are some exceptions; all the clerics, mages, and Jagen for example have much better growths in Shadow Dragon. Although, admittedly comparing the two isn't entirely fair as the original didn't actually do random level ups do to the limitation of the system.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 1, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Speaking of Gaiden, for those astonished at the poor growths in this game, Gaiden was worse. I genuinely don't know if it's possible to get more than 3 stats a level. At least it's very rare. (I haven't been following SoV very closely so I don't know if it's going to imitate the original's growth rates. If so... that'll be fun.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

And it's timed; you have to beat in a certain number of turns to get the gaiden chapter, and if you don't get the gaiden you don't get the good ending. And the game gives you two completely underpowered and useless units; one a level one mage and the other a mounted pre-promote. Oh, and the former has to survive to get the Gaiden.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Get the blue haired jerk on this run, and the other jerk on the normal run. One of them gonna die anyway. Might as well chose the one with the shorter lease.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I thought the whole "it takes FOREVER to hit level 20" was a problem unique to normal mode, but nope!

(One nice thing about a ladies only run: this is not a problem. Caeda was ready to promote on chapter 10)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

rannum posted:

Why on earth does Xane get a special class that goes to level 30 but Marth is stuck going to 20
Is it even possible for Xane to get to 30 even starting from 15???

Marth isn't stuck to 20. He can go to 30, although he may not make it anywhere close to 30.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I wanna say this map caused me to have a mini-heart attack when I first played it, because I wasn't sure if the items thieves steal in this game up and disappear into the ether (they did in the original). Yeah, thankfully they don't (and I'm pretty sure in the original the thieves aren't in the treasure room to start off with.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Uh, completely unrelated, but did you know that as far as I can tell, no one has really successfully been able to hack the portraits in Shadow Dragon (not particularly well anyway) I can, however, do this

So that's fun. (the talking/blinking does not animate correctly, mind you.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

The ideal Shadow Dragon is probably the one where everyone is Bantu for some reason, so I wholly approve.

Well not quite Bantu but close enough

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

blizzardvizard posted:

This LP also makes me wanna play Shadow Dragon, but uh, I'm not sure if this is a case of the LP making the game seem much more fun than it actually is.

Honestly, I think Shadow Dragon gets worse rep than it deserves, and if you had a good time with New Mystery I think you'll like SD well enough, but no it is nowhere near as good as New Mystery.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I mean, for whatever reason we count the remakes as numbered entries, so this never made sense anyway.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Catria will remember this

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

Well, we’ll worry about them later. Linde seems to think she’s that other guy, but I don’t see any Aethers coming from her.

She's trying, give her a break

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Yeah, honestly I'm with you when it comes to Est not being worth using. Her growths are actually pretty bad, considering her join time. She has slighter better strength and luck growth than Catria, but the rest is worse. It's especially annoying since her growths in the original are substantially better. She goes from a 70% strength growth in the original down to 55% in this game. What the hell? Of all the characters to nerf, why her?

(That being said, in my ladies only run of Shadow Dragon and New Mystery Est was pretty drat good.)

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 3, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Probably one of the worse decisions they made here was to make it so dragonstone bonuses don't show up in the status screen. Why? Why do that.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This is one of the few times they made a fairly drastic change; he's on the throne in the original. He's not optional. I guess they wanted to have his survival in the next two games make more sense? You can still kill him though and you're going to. Gradivus, man.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I suppose this is as good a time as any to post this dumb photoshop I made a while back

Not quite the same as having pantless Marth in Heroes, but close as we'll get.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

I'm not sure

What you mean

apologies to camel pimp

don't apologize for beauty

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I can't believe you missed the best Gordin art

And the best Abel art

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Speaking of Minerva in the BS Archanea saga... thing she looks so rad.

I have no real point in bringing this up other than she looks rad and I'm mad that her design didn't keep those fins (although I guess they later moved to Cherche)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

Minerva's Shadow Dragon art gets massive points for having Actual Pants, or at least not having that dumb thing the vast majority of fliers have where they have thigh-high boots and a miniskirt with the upper thigh exposed to doubtless massive chafing from their mount. Bad enough if they're a Pegasus rider, 10 times worse if they're riding a scaly-rear end wyvern.

Actually looking at Caeda's art, she has pants too, or at least tights or leggings?

If you look at other art for her, no, she's not wearing pants or leggings. It's just very, very high boots.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Elice's art for the original manual was pretty damned amazing, though

(Sorry, I just really love old Fire Emblem art)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

LordHippoman posted:

camel pimp where the hell do you find all this good art? This and Horse Abel weren't on the wiki at all, and apparently they have some DEVASTATING holes in their galleries.

There's another Fire Emblem wiki (it's dot org instead of com.) It's nowhere near as good, but it does have some pictures the other doesn't. Also Serenes and tumblr.

Actually, I went and tried to hunt down as much art from the fe1 manual (I'm pretty sure it's from the fe1 manual) as I could. Would anyone be interested in what I found?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Okay, first off I gotta warn that the quality fluctuates; some of these I found on the other Fire Emblem wiki, some I found on Serenes, and some I found on various japanese blogposts.

Anyway

Yes I already posted this but it's still amazing.

In case you're wondering, sadly Kain is very normal looking in comparison.

Jagen just looks confused, poor guy.

Draug here is, uh.... a untouch unnerving?

Gordin is worse.

This kind of weird edit is the best version of this image of Caeda I could find. I love how confused her horse is.

Hardin's horse is even more confused.

This picture of Minerva is actually from the soundtrack, I believe, but this art is also in the manual. But the picture I have of her manual art is blurry as hell

I'm not sure what's happening with Palla and Catria here.

I'm not used to old school Julian having pants. Lena looks sad about this.

I think Merric is wearing the same tunic Marth is.

Linde here lookin' good.

Ogma is... well he just looks like he always does. (I couldn't find any art of Naverre in my search for fe1 art, which surprises me. I dunno if I just didn't look hard enough or if he doesn't have any)

Midia's just kinda generic but Astram looks great.

EDIT: I actually had to look this up, but the first one is Wendell, and the second is Boah, and I think both are actually from the fe1 manual (I originally assumed it was just the first) I keep forgetting Wendell and Boah are two different characters.

This is... one of the generic armor knights that come with Midia. What's his face.

Yup, that's Nyna all right.

I can't find anything better for Wrys and Darros here, I'm sorry.

Oh, and of all the characters to get art, Malledus does. Yeah. Go figure.

And in memory of a dear friend, here's Gharnef. He's so happy!

EDIT For posterity, here's Elice

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 25, 2017

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Guess what I managed to do~~~

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Senerio posted:

Eyes?
Fire Emblem Heroes?

What I'm saying is it could be worse.

What's wrong with those eyes?

I think they're quite fetching.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Nyna also has weird long noodly arms.

I wanna say that in the original (I could be wrong) that Elice comes in with the Aum staff, and that you can ONLY use the Aum staff in that little temple area (you know, the one that has the Aum staff in Shadow Dragon.) Which is certainly weird and hinders the usefulness of the staff a bit, so I get why that was changed.

LordHippoman posted:

This is another map where the first turn has nothing interesting going on. Just move on forward. I’ve noticed Shadow Dragon seems to do the empty space a lot, which might be one reason Fliers and mounted units are so good in this game?

A lot of the early Kaga-made games have this issue, or at least the remakes (since I've actually played those) of the early games do. Echoes has this issue too, New Mystery does to an extent, and Genealogy is practically defined by how useless non-mounted units are. I haven't played much of Thracia, though, although it doesn't seem quite as bad about it.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

vilkacis posted:

Anyway, speaking of fanart, I found an even better one!

Eh, I preferred the sequel

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

I genuinely wonder if you're going to play the map "normally" or just start warping dudes, because unless you've used up your warps why the hell would anyone play this map normally?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

No, I'm sorry, I'm going to have to correct you.

It worked because Jagen is the true hero of the land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Thanks for the great LP. Shadow Dragon isn't the best game, but... I'll be honest I have a soft spot for it.

LordHippoman posted:

Thank you to Camel Pimp for her many fan art and thread contributions as well, throughout this and FE12. You found some fantastic FE1 art I’d never have tracked down myself, and I read through your Lunar LP’s while I was working on this. Y’all should go check that out.

:3:

LordHippoman posted:

Neither of these are true, as we know thanks to the sequel. A lot of these epilogues kinda have that issue.

Most of the endings I think are the same from the original. Or more or less the same; it's kind of hard to tell unless you look at the original Japanese text. But, yeah, it made sense that the original ending contradict the sequel, but they knew better here! (Maybe they didn't think they were going to remake the sequel as well?)

LordHippoman posted:

One, wow, that’s kinda sexist. Two, yes, this was Abel.

It's actually worse than it looks, because she's like 16 in this game. Or maybe 15?

LordHippoman posted:

I wasn't sure if I should toss those in, since Camel Pimp found them, not me, but if she's okay with it I'll edit 'em in before the archive, or request that that post be archived too (I think that's something you can do?).

I am absolutely OK with that. You can just link my post on the OP it should get archived. (That's what I did for Jenner's posts in my LPs) Just when Baldurk gives you that e-mail make sure to check that the post is archived on the lp archive itself and not to the forum (that shouldn't be a problem though; never happened to me.)

EDIT: I added Elice to that post

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jun 25, 2017

• Locked thread