Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Did someone say Fire Emblem thread? Because I think I heard someone say Fire Emblem thread! And oh boy, Steve... It's certainly been a while!

LordHippoman posted:

: She seemed to be, sire, but her words implied a certain urgency. She bade you dress quickly and wait by the throne.

...And she specifically asked me to tell you not to forget your trousers this time.

LordHippoman posted:

Whoops, yeah, did a re-google, he's 14 in the prologue, 16 in the main game. I'll fix that.

Still haven't fixed it in the second place you mention it :ssh:

you should use wrys, wrys is still the best character

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Nov 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

This one's my personal favourite.

Oh, it's good, but it doesn't show the glorious lack of pants.

LordHippoman posted:

This is probably a good time to introduce the Cavalier as well. Abel and Frey are both Cavaliers. They have extremely high movement and access to Lances and Swords. They’re well rounded, and honestly one of my favorite classes. Hopefully they’re one of yours too, because Shadow Dragon vomits Cavaliers at you.

Well I mean they're not bad or anything, but they can't compete with archers. Archers are the best class. (After curates, but that goes without saying.)

LordHippoman posted:

Marth says “Yow!” a lot. Hopefully it’s a habit he’ll never grow out of.

Fixed :colbert:

LordHippoman posted:

He’s not a horse, he’s a Cain :v:

I am unAbel to deal with this. I just Cain't.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

My main experience is in 7 and 8 so this sounds like an insane thing to say. Is the unit and scenario design just really different in this game?

:thejoke: :ssh:

Although I think they're supposed to be better in the DS games than the GBA ones.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I remember in the first Fire Emblem on GBA I got an absolutely insane Rebecca once. 5 stats going up per level was fairly normal for her and she slaughtered everything that looked at her funny. Best archer ever

What's up, awesome Rebecca buddy :hf:

Last time through, she soloed Nergal for me. I was very proud of her.

theshim posted:

Oh goddamnit.

Oh goddamnit! :argh:

You won't be Bord with us Arrand! Just reLex and don't Barst a vessel.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Careful, I need these for update titles. Please Wrystrain yourself.

Finne, if you Innesist.

LordHippoman posted:

The game highlights an example of a house for you, in case you’re playing this game in your underground cave network and have never seen one of those.

You laugh, but your grandchildren will be thankful as they do just that after the Trumpocalypse :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Oh poo poo thanks for mentioning that. Credit for the base Steve portrait goes to vilkacis, and the massive hat tower was made, along with many other Steves, by CamelPimp.

I'm helpful! :downs:

quote:

This is another example of weird amounts of character being put into everything that isn't the main cast. Look at those difficulty settings! They have more character than like... 95% of your army.

quote:

I’m pretty sure Talys literally does not have any army at all. I’m not sure why this is the safest refuge for the chosen one of the divine sword.

Exactly! No one would be dumb enough to hide in a place like that, so no one will be looking for him in a place like that! It's foolproof!

quote:

Caeda, also known as “Shiida” if you live in Europe

And pronounced Shiida no matter where you live.

quote:

Yeeeesssss :swoon:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That card is amazing :allears:

I read somewhere that the text goes along the lines of, "I am Wrys, a warrior. I will have time to heal your wounded after I've buried the enemies."

This may not actually be true, but I am still going to pretend that it is.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

: Do me a favor, and leave the dangerous fighting to me and my men.

: I don’t need protecting, Ogma. …I’ve got another job for you. Protect Marth for me.

I mean, I have the sweetest prf weapon this side of Wolf Beil, a bitchin' flying horse, first dibs on promotion items... and Marth? He's got a prf that wishes it was as good as mine, no horse, no promotion, and little noodly arms.

: But, Princess…

Little. Noodly. Arms.

: Very well. How could I say no to you?

LordHippoman posted:

There are some Hunters over there, including this guy. He looks like he could use a pick-me-up chat from a fellow blue-head.

Bluenette! :pseudo:

LordHippoman posted:

Here’s your other hint to talk to Castor with Caeda, delivered hopefully not as he shoots Caeda. Which can totally happen.

Yeah, if you suck. :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Snorb posted:

The next chapter has the best line of dialogue in the game.

It certainly has one of the best titles in the game.

tunapirate posted:

Shadow Dragon was the first (and only) Fire Emblem game I've ever played and to this day I'm still very confused as to what you're supposed to do with knights

For the most part, you just bench them. Knights are bad. Apparently they work well in FE12 hardmode, though!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Effie is an unstoppable bulldozer of rage and steel.

Surely you mean Elise is an unstoppable bulldozer of rage and steel.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

So, I’m using the Serenes Forest online script for this game, and it’s got a few typos. One being that the last line is transcribed as “Tick-tack”. That’s just the first one I noticed because it gets in the way of the rhyming!

Clearly you need to re-transcribe the entire game and do it properly this time!

You missed something :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

Eh, I think this is more Jagen's speed

Sir Jagen, he is a SIRIUS_

(Looks good on him, too.)

MythosDragon posted:

Does anyone else have an issue with reclassing?

It's been strictly a second+ run thing for me (with the exception of getting my Mary Sue out of their special snowflake sword class and one that uses proper weapons asap). I like branching promotions more than base class changes.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Ah, Matthis. Please show him whining about being unable to find Lena and following it up by running her through :allears:.

MythosDragon posted:

Now I'm upset that theres no tri-part staffs in Fire Emblem.

Hell, any blunt weapons at all until the clubs in If! (And those were axeually axes anyway.) But yeah, I'd rock the hell out of any kind of stick you can hit people with.

Axe Healer is like the best class Intsys ever made and anyone who objects to this clearly hates fun :colbert:

Miacis posted:

Wrys ... make him a bald Mage

I can get behind this!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The silver sword idiocy is just another thing on the Shadow Dragon Is Kinda poo poo pile. :geno:

Anyway, the turban Hardin is rad, you should use Hardin (cleric or not).

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

: Pretty much everybody died and then we went to the beach.

:haw:

The emblem doubling as a chest key is such a random decision. I mean, it's helpful! Just... weird.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

MightyPretenders posted:

I think the idea is "whoever holds this shield is the rightful owner of everything in the world, particularly every treasure chest."

Yes but how does it actually work?

LordHippoman posted:

I get to wondering how that works and I can really only picture Marth bashing a chest open with his shield, screaming "I AM THE CHOSEN OF HOUSE ARCHANEA, SLAYER OF THE SHADOW DRAGON"

....Well, okay, when you put it that way.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Voting the former. I mean, most characters aren't going to say anything after their recruitment chapter anyway, so if you wait too long we might forget who they even are :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Huh. Shadow Dragon makes a whole lot more sense if you assume all the weird poo poo is just the results of a fever dream senile old Jagen is having.

...it's pretty amazing.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

MightyPretenders posted:

And here, in a remake of the first game that changes very little, we have these side chapters, where "History won't remember this. But you totally did do it, and it mattered."

"Except for the part where you got 80% of your army killed in the process. That part didn't happen."

It's a good point, though.

chiasaur11 posted:

Six was basically FE1 but portable

And with a better protagonist :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Imagine Caeda but buff and also she’s got an axe.

:hawaaaafap:

"you are free to stop imagining it any time"

LordHippoman posted:

(As a sidenote, this is now the official "Jagen For Fire Emblem Warriors" Thread, please support your local Jagens.)

I want literally Jeigan Warriors with a cast of characters all over 40.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

As usual, Caeda saves the day.

: This is pretty much how their relationship has worked from day one.

I mean. Let's be honest.

And yes, Bautu is pretty great. Awful, but great.

Best dragon grandpa.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I find it upsetting that no one is acknowledging the best playable (probably partly) dragon type person in all of Fire Emblem.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

So on a scale from 0 to Spock/Kirk, how popular are those two in terms of fanworks...?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

haven't seen Navarre/Ogma

I am mad disappointed.

Shingouryu posted:

I'm a little confused by the translation. While 剛 can indeed mean "hard," my assumption is the intended meaning is "strong" or "manly."

Now I'm even more disappointed.

Blaze Dragon posted:

-Caeda is 14 in Shadow Dragon

:stare: What.

Well, on the one hand, Navarre's refusal to fight her makes a bit more sense. On the other...

Roger? You're going to jail.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

As a great tragedy of these games not being very popular, I regret to inform you all that Navarre with pigtails fan art does not exist.

Camel Pimp posted:

Yes it does!

:colbert:

(source)

(Also this is pretty great.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Okay, so clearly I need to do more detailed hunts for these things than just typing "navarre pigtails" into GIS and trying my luck. That one's on me.

Clearly you need to use the proper term, senpai :japan:

Oh, and!

It's pretty neat.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'd just like to take a moment to appreciate how bad Jeorge is. Looking up the promotion gains for archer>sniper, his pre-promotion stats would have been 16 HP, 5 STR, 0 MAG, 5 SKL, 7 SPD, 4 LCK, 7 DEF, 0 RES. And someone thought this man deserving of a master seal!

I mean I guess the bow rank is nice but... ow.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

He's probably worse, to be honest. And at least she promotes into a class with some utility.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Wrys got 120th place! I'm not sure how to feel about that. I mean, it should obviously have been much higher! But it's not bad out of nearly 800 for a humble curate.

Poor Jagen is down at 286. :(

...Bantu is 462 :saddowns:

On the plus side, I'm proud of our boy for his second place on the guys' side. Though I'm a bit baffled that after him, the next Binding Blade character is Lilina... followed by Lot of all people. With over 3000 votes! What even the hell.

e: ^^^ How dare you, Roy was always good.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

You should totally swap clerics be using a curate instead! :colbert:

Hauteclere is funny. The game makes all this noise about the ~three regalia~ being super awesome and then there's just kinda... a random axe that's on the same level without much fanfare.

Oh yeah, and:

LordHippoman posted:

That’s the inner fort cleared of enemies. I mean, except Maria. She’s technically an enemy because this game hasn’t figured out neutral NPCs.

And it's so loving dumb argh you had this poo poo figured out years ago, you colossal fuckers :rant:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 12, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Definitely always hot. I mean if this

doesn't make you melt, I don't know what to tell you!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

If you guessed that we’d need Caeda, a natural flier, to recruit him, you are onto the kind of bullshit Ballisticians are.

Or we could go make some tea while Draug or someone just eats those 20 uses. I'm all for it.

I like how they made up some bullshit excuse just to get rid of that class in the sequel.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:unsmigghh:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Oh, by the way, there’s a thief running for the village here. Either that or a Thief and Ballistician are fusing to become the Absolute Worst Unit Type Ever.

Try our now ballisthiefcian! With a movement range of 6 and the ability to destroy villages from 15 tiles away, it is sure to leave no controller or handheld system un-flung! Order yours today.

(Hire me intsys.)

((Actually don't hire me.))

LordHippoman posted:

You guys I don’t know if Draug’s working out.

He gained strength so he has clearly been working out :colbert:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I kind of hate the floor in there, at a glance it looks like the graphics are glitching out and that's never a good thing.

Boots may be worth it, though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

The "everybody dies" updates are the best updates :buddy:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm not.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

If you asked me for a summary of Astram as a unit, I’d probably just kinda shrug at you.

Whereas I'd go on a long, profanity-laden rant about how much I hate this son of a gently caress :v:

I MEAN LOOK AT THIS poo poo

He literally only has one single point of skill more than Ogma would have if he promoted the moment he joins the party in chapter 2, and he has even less HP, Jesus gently caress Astram what are you doing with your life what chain of events led you to become this loving awful-

Blaze Dragon posted:

You'd think there would be a clause in Astram's AI to stop him from attacking Midia, or at the very least, special dialogue if it happens. But nope, nothing. :effort:

And also there's that (an ailment Astram isn't the only one to suffer from, admittedly).

:arghfist::saddowns: Astram.

(But hey, at least there's a Shadow Dragon character who inspires me to feel something other than blank indifference!)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Wait, does his armor leave his midriff free?

I think it's supposed to be his shirt - it matches the sleeves more than his skin.

What confuses me though are the... suspenders for his boots? That are secured to his legs with mini-belts???

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

See I'm okay with Astram in FE12 because he doesn't have single digit strength and defence in that one.

Also because he comes with a super rad sword for me to pick off his dead body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I like Beck. He's nice and chill.

I mean I've never used him. But still.

• Locked thread