Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I have probably said this before, but it bears repeating: I love when an enemy's reaction to you showing up is "oh poo poo, the protagonists, this is going to suck". I mean it's probably meant to convey this guy being a useless coward, but it really just makes him seem like the only one who knows what's up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:tipshat:

When you think about it, I'm kind of like a jrpg protagonist, enduring all sorts of hardships so that others won't have to suffer.

(Unfortunately, lping runs on something like Final Fantasy II rules, so the only stat gains you get out of it are the ones that make you better at lping. :saddowns:)

((Edit: Or sometimes not even that, obviously. :saddowns:2))

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I always have plans, I just don't ever get anywhere with them :v:

But yeah, I have several things I'm sort of intending to do at some point, but haven't got around to. Maybe I'll even manage something this year!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Geez, a weapon like that has to count a war crime of some sort.

You had a perfect opportunity to name this file "sadgar" :rant:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Gharnef following you around menacingly and then deciding that it's no fun when you're faster than him and leaving is kind of funny.

Sort of speaking of, a Fire Emblem game set in fantasy Egypt would own bones.

I mean as long as they didn't set it entirely on desert maps or something, then it would suck.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, you just make this

every map in the game.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I had the most ridiculous luck with the treasures on that map, everybody just picked them up the moment they stepped on the right tile, thief or not, just poof, treasure. I'm beginning to wonder if I accidentally poked something I didn't mean to while I was editing the rom :v:

Serenes claims the ring is 100% for Sophia, though.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

The update might take a while, sheerly because of this fact, and definitely not because of all the video games coming out this week that look better than Shadow Dragon.

I have no idea what you could be talking about

Also I vote we go with Conquest, I don't like seafood.

:goleft:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

This is a binary choice, picking up Samson or Arran denies you the other. Apparently this was one of the inspirations for the route split in Fates.

Boy, that sure explains a lot, am I right, guys!!!

:haw:

:negative:

(what the gently caress happened to :negative:)

LordHippoman posted:

: And so, Prince Marth completely ignored my fantastic advice of sticking his Rapier out and spinning in a circle, electing to only kill one of our foes in a very dull fashion.

Would have done a lot to salvage Shadow Dragon to be honest.

LordHippoman posted:

Xane is weird, and as far as I know, his gimmick’s never been reused in a Fire Emblem game since the Archanea titles.

Not an official Fire Emblem game, but I hear things about Tear Ring Saga...

Also:

(by TenQue)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

I also reclassed Maria to a Sage, because the only real advantage Bishops have is their sweet pope hat.

Fixed and also how could you, you monster?

MythosDragon posted:

And the more I look at Fire Emblem the more I think "This game was made for LPing".

Ehhh, the gameplay is a lot of the fun in srpgs. I'd say traditional rpgs are the best for the format, especially ones with kind of meh gameplay - then the reader isn't really losing anything by not playing it. (As for the ease of LPing it, srpgs are ~about the same amount of time and effort as regular jrpgs.)

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 11, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

If it was in her portrait I'd keep her as a Bishop. :colbert:

goddammit if only this were gba :arghfist::saddowns:

MythosDragon posted:

....They make shorter RPGs than Fire Emblem? Pretty sure all the 2D Fire emblems gave me in the 20-30 hour range.

You can probably get through most games from the snes era and earlier in less than 30 hours, and it's not as if everything after that is huge either. The first Suikoden's like 15 hours, 2 and 4 are 25ish.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's the most beautiful Shadow Dragon has ever been :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

I realized I didn’t get Grigas’ boss quote last time. Here it is. Wow!

And it's such a good boss quote, too!

LordHippoman posted:

: With disguises!

: Give that back!

Nooooo let him have the hat, he doesn't have much time left and you can just pick it off his corpse later.

(Jagen Tales remains the best part of the thread.)

Also:

I'd like to point out that Astram's faceless replacement nearly has the same stats as the actual character.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Dactyl’s portrait is loving fantastic, by the way. How are all these good portraits trapped in the Gaidens?

Because those were the only places where intsys would let the remake team have any fun.

LordHippoman posted:

The Wo Dao is basically the Killing Edge, but with More Killing and quite possibly More Edge.

:objection:

The Killing Edge has more attack, so the Wo Dao is a Killing Edge with some of the Edge exchanged for more Killing! :eng101:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I found the smugsphere, look :smug:

Man. Getting a pair of boots in a map like this is such a kick in the pants. Feena's pretty great, though. I wonder if she was about to offer to style Michalis' hair for him, too :allears:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

[img]https://lpix.org/1913735/Small_portrait_palla_fe12.png]: Your battles are our battles, Commander.

Yo, fix your Palla portraits.

LordHippoman posted:

: Uh-huh. Thanks, Palla. It’s funny… Whenever I talk to you, I calm right down. Promise you’ll always be there for me, Palla.

: I will...I promise.

Mangling them seems kind of disrespectful seeing as she loving died in this chapter!

Camel Pimp posted:

She goes from a 70% strength growth in the original down to 55% in this game. What the hell? Of all the characters to nerf, why her?

Because Ests are bad and people who like Ests are also bad, and thus they must suffer. :pseudo:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's not a challenge if they just tell you these things!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

For what he lacks in stats, he makes up for in being the Best Dragon Grandpa.

:respek:

LordHippoman posted:

Next time this guy.

That chin looks strangely familiar...!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

: But you are not dead.

: Or am I?

: :iiam:

LordHippoman posted:

: And he was so dead he never, ever, ever showed up again, ever.

Good! I'm glad he's gone. I mean does he even listen to the things he says?

Couldn't get any cheesier if he tried :jerkbag:

Well at least he drops a nice juicy sequel when he dies. And his spear, I guess.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's good to be appreciated, but don't sell yourself short - the art of head rotation is an old and proud one.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Say goodbye to Hendexa!

A Hendexa broke!

I have to wait anywhere from a week to a month to play loving FEchoes, not even Jagen Tales can soothe my rage and/or pain :argh:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Nopantsmarth is the best Marth.

AradoBalanga posted:

The only question now is which artist should get the honor of drawing Pants-Free Marth for Heroes.

Hirohiko Araki :colbert:

e:

Camel Pimp posted:

I suppose this is as good a time as any to post this dumb photoshop I made a while back

Not quite the same as having pantless Marth in Heroes, but close as we'll get.

This is also good.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

Fun fact, I would not have understood this joke until literally like an hour ago, when I finished Diamond is Unbreakable and finally had to start looking for the manga versions of the rest.

I started watching Jojo's because everyone made jokes in my threads about it I didn't get, joke's on y'all, now I probably get like half of them!

Jojokes functioning exactly as intended. :)

:allears:

Also, Extremely Anime Jeigan looks absolutely amazing.

LordHippoman posted:

I feel like he and the horse swapped expressions.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That's interesting! And I like the increasing chance mechanic, it's a neat way to try and combat units getting too terribly screwed, small though it may be.

Does New Mystery do the same thing?

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

I'm going to miss crazy old Jagen when this is over :allears:

LordHippoman posted:

I like Shadow Dragon’s depiction of Caeda the best, personally. Not that there’s a big change between her outfit there and the New Mystery one, but the darker colors look better, I think.

It's the pose that does it for me. It is the pose of someone who can and will stab you through the everything if you don't get with the times and paint yourself blue.

Although the bird is nice, too.

e:

fixed it :downs:

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 2, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh goddammit :psyduck:

I looked at the Shirow art and decided she was probably wearing some kind of shorts and leggings combo, but nope. Boots with shoes on top. Fire Emblem!

On the plus side, at least that version is wearing something above the... boots. But that also made me notice that she lost the whatever-it-was in time for New Mystery.

:doh:

On the plus side, Minerva does indeed look rad in general.

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Jun 3, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

AradoBalanga posted:

I forgot that Shirow Masamune gave Gharnef quasi-platform shoes for his artwork. I guess Gharnef is a lot shorter than he lets on.

The artwork definitely makes him look like a dwarf. He's only like... 5-6 heads tall, as opposed to more typical anime proportions around 7-8.

Nice coat, though.

LordHippoman posted:

Anyway, here’s Gharnef. Remember that only Starlight can harm him. Send your best mage, and maybe a Pure Water or Barrier staff to buff them up. Luckily he’s just over here, so we can deal with him quickly.

Anyway, here’s Gharnef. Remember that only Starlight can harm him. Send your best mage, and maybe a Pure Water or Barrier staff to buff them up. Unfortunately, he’s all the way at the top of the tower, but near the stairs, so there’s a saving grace.

Anyway, here’s Gharnef. Remember that only Starlight can harm him. Send your best mage, and maybe a Pure Water or Barrier staff to buff them up. Obnoxiously, he’s in the middle of nowhere for some dumb reason.

:haw:

It's a pretty neat "Wait, what?" moment the first time you see it. If only Marth could triple-wield those falchions...

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Camel Pimp posted:

(Sorry, I just really love old Fire Emblem art)

No one should ever be sorry for that :colbert:

Can't help but feel like it'd be an improvement if Elice really had been an 80s pop star. The Aum staff will only activate upon the sickest of synth solos, my dude!

Oh, and:

LordHippoman posted:

: None could believe the Resurection Staff was in the Resurrectory. It was the discovery of the century.

This will never cease to be amazing.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh man this is all Good poo poo.

Camel Pimp posted:

Gordin is worse.

"Ladies :heysexy:"

":gonk:"

quote:

I'm not used to old school Julian having pants. Lena looks sad about this.

Of course she does! Hell, I feel sad about this.

quote:

I think Merric is wearing the same tunic Marth is.

Naturally, they're bros. Bros go shopping together for matching outfits. It's a thing.

quote:

That hair looks familiar...!

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

PS: Secret Poll Time.

Sjs00 posted:

Condense for sure; I really enjoy the portraits and rare battle screens though; as well as any strange god-tier units like Michelis in that one chapter

^ What they said.

Camel Pimp posted:

Guess what I managed to do~~~

:bisonyes: This is delicious!

Wayne posted:

I don't know if anyone in the know explained it on any other FE LP, but I still have no idea why, when you have Excaliburs and actually fairly obscure mythology references like Gradivus, the ultimate sword is just... a falchion. I mean, I guess it's the falchion, but still.

It's not even actually a falchion! :tizzy:

LordHippoman posted:

I've got nothing for Mercurius or Parthia.

The wiki says

Mercurius posted:

The sword's name is derived from Saint Mercurius, a Christian martyr whose name essentially carries the meaning "wielder of two swords". According to historical scriptures, the second sword that he wielded was a gift bequeathed upon him by the Archangel Michael.

Parthia posted:

Parthia is an ancient country that once existed in the southwestern part of Asia. Becoming a powerful empire around the 2nd century BCE, it collapsed in the 3rd century CE. The Parthians were known to be very skilled in mounted archery.

:shrug:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Camel Pimp please mod in Professor Marth's hat also while you're at it thank you very much.

That said: Nope! Still can't get over Eine, Kleine, and... Roro.

And Legion isn't any better either.

LordHippoman posted:

That pack on the left has finally caught up to us, but thankfully Katarina’s surprisingly dodgy.

Dodging isn't exactly the thing that pose makes me think of. More like...

You want fisticuffs? You want karate?!

Gharnef showing up with immortality hax in place like Imhullu motherfuckers! is the funniest thing. I always appreciate getting to play with the antagonists for a bit, but this version is more amusing than most.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

I will never stop championing the cause of "please put monks/grapplers/punchfolks in fire emblem".

Punch-Monks, not Lucius-Monks. Or both.

/digs in image archive

Definitely both :colbert:

My only memory of Apowhatsis is that it took forever for a maxed out sorcatar to solo the first round with a forged Aversa's Night and carrying Chrom under one arm, so I never bothered to try the following ones. But kudos for making the only map in Awakening where archers are actually good, I guess :v:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

That's the critical hit.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Nyna's portrait looks weird to me. I think it's the ridiculously elaborate detailing on the clothes and accessories, compared to the generic anime face. But it's a bit weird since Minerva doesn't get quite the same reaction.

Looking forward to alternate dimension, I remember this being good :toot:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

:allears:

This image is a treasure. Jagen might be even stronger now than when he was young and handsome

(like so.)

This one's pretty good, too. :v:

LordHippoman posted:

Hardin’s original terrible fashion sense.

This, on the other hand, is just plain slander, you take that back right now, Hardin looks fabulous :mad:

e And speaking of romance novels!

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jun 18, 2017

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, I figure most of the cavs get their armour done in the same colour as their hair, so my ~headcanon~ is firmly on Jagen having purple hair before it turned white.

Anyway, speaking of fanart, I found an even better one!

:v:

(Looks like you're missing my Camus edits and Charstram if you want to add them.)

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Emperordaein posted:

Geeze IS,you really like reusing Sword of Seals Chapter 16x/Tower of Valni Floor 8.

Sonnuvafuck I didn't even notice that.

Camel Pimp posted:

Eh, I preferred the sequel

That's some Searius treasure!

:razz:

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Grandpa Jagen is in fine form, even at death's door. And I'm not just saying that because of his beautiful, beautiful stats, either :allears:

But yeah, Nagi's whole thing is pretty great, in that "what the gently caress even is this" kind of way. I'm sure they will call it Parallel Falchion when they inevitably remake FE1 again. Hopefully after all the others.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

Oh boy, the final boss doubles Marth! That ought to be fun.

(It's so weird seeing Caeda with her speed capped at 23 right underneath. Shadow Dragon!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

This wouldn't have happened if I could have my dang Falcoknights. drat online-only content.

I think I saw a patch to put the items in regular shops somewhere, though I suppose it's a little late to start thinking about that now. :v:

Hunt11 posted:

Add in the action reversal mechanic and you should be just fine in terms of not being screwed over by stupid mistakes.

Though only as long as the lord survives, because they can't turnwheel themselves. (Nor can the other lord turnwheel them even if you have both on the field.)

• Locked thread