Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Yeeeeeeesssssssssssss :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Prologue 2: Enter The Frey
Oh goddamnit.

vilkacis posted:

I am unAbel to deal with this. I just Cain't.
Oh goddamnit! :argh:

theshim
May 1, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

"Maybe if I don't mention it in the captions, they won't notice."-Me, before posting.
We could never fail to notice the blink animation :allears:

theshim
May 1, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

I am immediately rewarded! That’s a good level! That’s the first good level!
So, funny thing about this level. You know how you said most of your guys have no resistance? That's not an exaggeration. With the exception of Marth, none of the units we have seen so far will ever gain a point of resistance (barring promotion gains and class-switching shenanigans).

Marth, though? He has a resistance growth rate.

It's 2%.

We're off to a good start. :rolldice:

LordHippoman posted:

Ah, Ruffian. Get used to Ruffian.

Don’t worry about this guy.

: Heh. I thought Altea was the great ‘ero Anri’s kingdom! Didn’t take more’n a couple of days to break you, now did it, Gaggles?

: Mmph! Arrumph!

: Ba ha ha! I’ll letcha in on a little secret. Altea’s little princeling is on ‘is way ‘ere right this moment.

: ….!

: Ooh, but sad for you, you look awful dangerous in the uniform… MISTER GRA SOLDIER!

I love this guy. :allears:

: Gugrrrrmph!

: Once the prince sticks you like a pig, we get to call him Marth the Tyrant, coz ‘e kills ‘is own countrymen. Won’t that be an ‘oot!

His grammar is shifting to accommodate just how aggressively cockney ‘e is.

: Rrrmph.

: So long, Gaggles! Better start praying to your ‘igher deity of choice!
This whole conversation is wonderful. :allears: Imagine a whole game with this quality of writing.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Awakening's writing does indeed knock Fates out of the park, both in terms of the fact that Fates has stupid plot and ideas while Awakening's just sputters out and in that the writing itself takes often simple situations and still conveys them wonderfully. Chrom confronting Gangrel or Walhart has some spectacular dialogue, even if there's nothing crazy different about it, and the supports are mostly amazing in Awakening(I am particularly fond of Gaius/Maribelle and honestly it might be one of the best supports in the series).

It's not that Treehouse is bad so much as 8-4 is very, very good.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I laugh at each and every instance of "an axe". :buddy:

theshim
May 1, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I have gotten a few empty levels in Fates. Mostly with Elise, but by then she'd capped everything except HP, Strength, Skill and Defense.
I really like the little reactions characters have to levels in Awakening and Fates, and especially that they have a different reaction to a one/zero point level because they rolled poorly versus because they've capped enough stats. Things like that and the lines for buying/selling/forging stuff added a ton of personality.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

In FE3 you did. Not FE1. And also Thracia, I believe. (And in FE4 one character could dismount, only one, and it was very glitchy. Also every map was an outdoor map, so why would you ever.)
The best part was a) the only character that could dismount was your Lord, and b) dismounting had a very high chance of breaking the game by making him automatically grayed out every turn. It was possible to beat one map with him dismounted by using your dancer on him every turn, but IIRC he would then spawn in the upper left corner of the map on the next level and you couldn't reach him, making the game unwinnable (since the plot was progressed by seizing castles).

theshim
May 1, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Meanwhile Barst has a duel with a wizard in the middle of the ocean.
I mean, he is the master of time and space. Sounds like a regular Monday for Barst.

theshim
May 1, 2012

Well, the word "sword" doesn't really pronounce the W, so it wouldn't make sense except visually.

theshim
May 1, 2012

I'm pretty sure I try to rate this thread 5 after every update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Also he just straight-up nearly kills people by practicing in really ill-advised ways. Of course, in Shadow Dragon, he really is just completely generic, thanks to having fewer lines than most of the random villagers. Shadow Dragon didn't really do much to expand upon the cast, it wasn't until New Mystery that most of these guys got anything resembling personality. Much as I liked Shadow Dragon, it was actually pretty meh, in terms of writing, especially compared to the games both before and after it.
poo poo like this is why everything that's been revealed about SoV so far is heartening. It looks like they're really trying to incorporate the lessons from Shadow Dragon.

• Locked thread