Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

From a while back but,

MythosDragon posted:

It makes plenty of sense. This game is nearly 30 years old originally, and they didnt really put any effort into cleaning, improving, or expanding it up beyond the graphics.

They actually DID improve a fair number of things, its just mostly mechanical and little to do with map design and plot. Off the top of my head:

Stat cap formerly 20s across the board, now has class caps.
Hunters, knights, and pirates can promote.
On that note berserkers(and horse bowmen?) exist
Weapon ranks formerly governered by a stat that rolled on level up.
Bonuses at weapon ranks c-a (previous games only gave a crit boost for s)
Added weapon triangle
First game to allow marking unit ranges on the map.
Covoy is built into marth and not a building.
First game with Reclassing
Added forging
Save points.
The wing spear?

And im probably missing some.
Sadly none of these can fix the boring late game maps and lack of personality to the characters. I could definitely buy that weird executive oversight theory with how much the overhauled the game mechanicaly while leaving other areas almost untouched in their ancient, dated state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

AradoBalanga posted:

I believe this is a carryover from Ike's games, as his games introduced that helpful option IIRC.

So it is!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Miacis posted:

but I kinda miss the FEGBA supports giving strong, affinity-based bonuses that don't require glueing two characters together.

Once they've supported sure, but you have to glue them together for an eternity to get those bonuses in the first place. I think PoR did supports best in that you unlocked them just by using the two units on the same map.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Ah, using the devil axe. That takes me back to Tena Crane's lp. They're such fun weapons in the dwarf fortress sense of the word.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

Dracoknights are probably my favorite unit. Movement tends to be super important the later you get in Fire Emblem games. Half my team in Awakening was on some kind of flying beast. It's a shame you can't make Draug one, the slow movement hampers Knights in my games. Except Oswin.

I loved pair up when they introduced it because I could suddenly get their slow buts to the front quickly and easily and knights were suddenly super cool.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Off the top of my head you can empty level in:
All the gba games
Awakening(although you have to cap drat near everything to have good odds of seeing one)
The ds games
Path of radiance (maybe)

And you cant in the original two games(hardware limitations cause the game to pick from 1 of 10 or so static level ups) and fe10(guarantees at least 1 stat up)

Dunno about the rest of them

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Truly they are works of art. You can just feel marth's dog like disdain for having a hat placed on him and being forced to take a picture

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd say the story is good about three quarters of the way in (if a bit rough to keep track of) and then it denigrates into "Look! Demons!"

Same.
I'd say fe9 has a better plot than fft because it doesnt piss all over itself halfway through and retroactively ruin something that had been amazing.

Well until radiant dawn anyway.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

Isn't there a patch out there that will unlock the gaidens without the stupid "murder all your own units" condition? I sure as poo poo won't judge if you use it.

Then you're determined to mass murder your own team for comedy. Then I understand.

Its a part of the game that should be shown. Especially since Tena Crane didn't archive his adventures with it.
Like if hes not having fun and burning out from the extra load it's the obvious thing to cut, but mass murdering dudes in fire emblem is strangely cathartic.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Are you guys hating on nils and that one gu6 from 6? (Yahn?) Myrhs zombie dad too

Or do you mean playable dragon types?

E: which includes Nasir.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

Sweet mother of Naga that Skill drop on Navarre. :stare:

I kind of get the Speed drop due to class differences, but I did not expect his Skill to be basically skullfucked into oblivion.

yeah, you can merc just about anyone and the insane bases will carry them pretty far.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

It's especially egregious that it's on Navarre, a character carried by skill and speed.

It wasn't until I played through the GBA games that I realized how badly the DS games nerfed mercenaries/myrmidons.

The class itself? It's got ridiculous bases and anyone you reclass into it will double for days and never miss.
The people that start as them? Oh god did they. Still perfectly usable as they come, but reclassing them will gut the character.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Feb 3, 2017

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

We gave Lenae a chance. There exists only one real call here.

Have cord solo the next chapter and promote him to become our healer.
I guess Maria is technically an option if you don't believe in cord

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

You think too small. The theif ballista does not attack, it merely fires an endless wave of thieves across the map at key targets and THEN destroy the towns, clerics, lords, etc.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

RydogZeta posted:

I found that northeast save point very handy when beating this level manly to test who will survive a ballista bolt. Linde isn’t too hard to level up on normal since nobody seems to have good res. Caeda’s max speed is nice but that 5 strength could be a problem soon. At least with clerics not gaining magic could be offset by higher tier staves.
You forget the power of a forged wing spear. Caeda could 1 round bosses for the rest of the game should hippo want her to

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Lets go with blue hair now and you can use the old guy on normal where it doesnt matter and bad units are fun

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

I wanna say this map caused me to have a mini-heart attack when I first played it, because I wasn't sure if the items thieves steal in this game up and disappear into the ether (they did in the original). Yeah, thankfully they don't (and I'm pretty sure in the original the thieves aren't in the treasure room to start off with.)

Even if they didn't you have enough warp staffs to commando mission the thieves turn 1

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

They also won't generate as any class that's had its reclass limit maxed out, but you'd be hard-pressed to manage that for most classes, given that you need to murder your whole army just to unlock these guys.

Berserkers are capped at two and the only class that is likely to encounter this, another sign that intsys hates the best class

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

rannum posted:

Here's a bunch of cool items that are in the corner of the map and do absolutely nothing to help you
Are they just there for...score? These maps have scores right

Im not sure if this iteration does, but the radio play maps im pretty sure these remake did

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Camel Pimp posted:

I genuinely wonder if you're going to play the map "normally" or just start warping dudes, because unless you've used up your warps why the hell would anyone play this map normally?

This but for the entire back portion of the game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I think they've had that for a while. I know it was in games as early as Path of Radiance, it might have gotten axed since though, I've never used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

That Jagen guy from the fe heroes thread would be proud.

As would Jagen, lord and savior of the realm, hero of arachnea!

• Locked thread