Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

This baffles me because that would have made Shadow Dragon so much better. With the reclassing there was already precedent for this being the "customization" Fire Emblem and...ugh. I'm a little harsh on a lot of the flaws in SD because they might have contributed to FE12 not coming over here. Which is like, top 3 Fire Emblems for me.
One reason that I personally believe contributed to this was that Shadow Dragon followed up years of refinement and changes to the gameplay formulas, only to keep a few of them and heavily lean on the old mechanics from FE1. Which by 2008/2009 were so outdated and radically different from the games that did get released internationally (FE7, 8, and both of Ike's games) that it turned off a lot of people to Shadow Dragon.

At least Shirow Masamune remembered to give Marth pants, even if his artwork for the remake is a mixed bag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Against the fighter, I’m sending Frey. Frey is like Abel but even better. He’s got better growths in almost everything, and his only real downside is that he can’t use Javelins off the bat, with only an E in lances.
Frey has an E-rank in swords, not lances.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Calling it now, the crazy old man we met at that village was a berserker from the time when Jagen was a fresh-faced cavalier.

Unfortunately, his growths tanked harder that Jagen's did as time wore on, hence why he's old and frail now.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I think that FE6 Karel would argue that age doesn't always mean loss of growth rates, what with his 950% growth rate total.
True, but that was Elibe. This is Akaneia, things are very different over here.

Alternate argument: Marcus.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'm more upset that you let Frey keep all his items/weapons and didn't toss them to other units before letting him play sacrificedecoy.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

: They left me out of the group hug.

: :smith:
Have you considered that having giant spikes on your shoulders makes you less huggable, Jagen?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I don't think Jagen's even aware of the spikes. They're just there for him.
Man, he was going senile even before meeting Steve and recounting his life's adventures. :smith:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Keldulas posted:

What's frustrating about knights in FE is that there's never really 'defense' missions where you're actually defending a point. Even in a lot of the defense missions, it's perfectly valid and sometimes even more profitable to do an aggro sweep away from your initial defense area.

The games with early map design also sort of hates knights in that the maps are too big for no reason and there's no rescuing/pair-up to mitigate the bad movement. So it becomes already tedious to move dudes around, and then knights add on that extra layer of 'ugh'.
Yeah, the Jugdral games really are the worst offenders of this practice. Want to use Arden or Hannibal? Too bad, they're too slow to move effectively and can at best defend a chokepoint or a castle. What sucks even more is that some of those characters get good skills that a Knight or a General would like to have, such as Arden having Vantage and Xavier having Wrath.

This is one of the reasons why I enjoy the alternate promotion that 8/Awakening/Fates gave to Knights: the Great Knight class. +3 movement with a horse, good promotion boosts (especially in the Speed department), and full weapon triangle access? Sign me up.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

Oh, if we're talking armor knights, I feel like I need to share this absolutely amazing piece of fanart I found.

I have no idea where this is originally from. I wish I did.
Judging by how Draug, Marth and Caeda are drawn, I'm guessing this is some weird My Neighbor Totoro fanart.

Emphasis on "weird".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

First game to allow marking unit ranges on the map.

I believe this is a carryover from Ike's games, as his games introduced that helpful option IIRC.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Barst has passed the Devil Axe TestTM. Now let's see if our other axe users can pass the test.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Off the top of my head you can empty level in:
All the gba games
Awakening(although you have to cap drat near everything to have good odds of seeing one)
The ds games
Path of radiance (maybe)

And you cant in the original two games(hardware limitations cause the game to pick from 1 of 10 or so static level ups) and fe10(guarantees at least 1 stat up)

Dunno about the rest of them
I have gotten a few empty levels in Fates. Mostly with Elise, but by then she'd capped everything except HP, Strength, Skill and Defense.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I completely forgot that hammers are C-rank in this game, as I've been so used to them being D-rank weapons in nearly every other game.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I thought I was going crazy for a second, but yeah, you're right, this one is an outlier there. I wonder if they got bumped up with the removal of Bronze Weapons after Radiant Dawn? Although they were D in the GBA games too, so :shrug:.
Looking at wikis, it's been a C-rank axe only in Thracia and the Marth remakes, with every other game featuring hammers having it be a D-rank axe. The original Marth games have the weird weapon level thing, so I have no idea how that translates to the now common letter ranks.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I mean, (Awakening Spoiler) Lucina uses it fine, unless there was time travel shenanigan fuckery involved there, I honestly don't remember. I think the Anri thing actually doesn't get mentioned in the remakes, by the way, so I'm not sure if that's even canon now.

I think they just don't want Caeda using it, because she would just become an unstoppable death goddess. Turns out it's just keyed to blue hair.
If that's the case, then why can't Barst or Catria wield Falchion? They both have blue hair.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

Probably how all the manaketes apart from Bantu are little girls.
Technically speaking, male Corrin is the first male manakete since Bantu. But his dragon form has a couple of big asterisks next to it that kind of separates it from Bantu and Tiki's dragon form.

Torrannor posted:

How come they make ten thousand remakes of the Archanea games but none of the Jugdral games? :mad:
Probably has to do with how the Marth remakes essentially put the franchise one foot in the grave until Awakening, in essence "Fire Emblem: Greatest Hits Edition", revived the franchise. The fact that Gaiden is getting a remake at all means that IntSys is willing to roll the dice with the remake option, so if Echoes does well, it could mean that Jugdral could see the same treatment.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

FoolyCharged posted:

Are you guys hating on nils and that one gu6 from 6? (Yahn?) Myrhs zombie dad too

Or do you mean playable dragon types?

E: which includes Nasir.
I legit forgot about Nasir and Kurt. :doh:

Oh, and that...red dragon dude who I think I accidentally killed in Dhegnisea's fight. Whatever he was called.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Ena, and she was even playable in both Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn.
I was talking about male manaketes in my earlier post.

Ena does stand out for going into combat while still pregnant, however. Definitely have to give her some credit there.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also Cannibal is not going to eat anyone with that range and those stats.
I'm more curious as to why he's carting around a magic sword when he can't even use a sword, let alone has any magic period.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

For as much as swords get the marquee treatment in the series (every main character lord except Hector, Ephraim and Micaiah wields swords as their default weapon), they do get the short end of the stick in places you'd think they would not. The big problem with the Levin Sword and the other magic swords in the series is that for the longest time, these were the only non-legendary ranged sword options available to the player. So, you had to either pray you had a sword user with a decent magic growth to capitalize, or fight enemy units with absolute dogshit for a resistance stat in order to get the most use out of them. By contrast, axes and lances have almost always had plenty of ranged options like hand axes and javelins to grant units more flexibility in their loadouts. It's why you can dump several lances on say, Abel, and only need to give him one sword since lances have more versatility in combat.

Thankfully, Fates gives the player an option in the form of the Kodachi and Wakizashi weapons so the issue was alleviated a little bit. Which would be fine, except both those weapons come with setbacks like not being able to double opponents. But then the game also created the Kukuri line, enemy exclusive ranged swords that do not have the drawbacks (outside of the basic penalties that steel and silver weapons carry) of the aforementioned Kodachi and Wakizashi...so yeah, swords still get screwed over in the ranged option department.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

There was also a "Wind Sword" in FE7, but to get it, you had to have the special edition of Mario Kart: Double Dash with the bonus disc, put that in a Gamecube, and transfer data from that to your GBA with Fire Emblem in it via a link cable. It was the most bizarre thing, and I still did it on my original FE7 cartridge.
Sacred Stones also has that weapon, but you can only get it either by: clearing the 8th floor of the Tower of Valni and recruiting Ismaire in the Creature Campaign, or pray for a 2.55% item spawn chance on a Cyclops monster. And those monsters are either in the later skirmishes (i.e., after clearing the Rausten map) or the upper tower floors/Lagdou Ruins. So, good luck finding that weapon.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

rannum posted:

e: This reminds me, are there not a lot of pegasus/wyvern knights in this game? Or are they all in the back half. Poor bow users if so
Outside of Caeda and reclassing, not really. The only big name fliers are the Whitewings and honorary member Minvera.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I know some people have had some concerns about if the Fire Emblem mobile game will be any good. As the OP of this thread, I'm happy to report:

It will be good. Thanks.

(also he's voiced by DC Douglas)
So how long until complete global saturation happens?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sweet mother of Naga that Skill drop on Navarre. :stare:

I kind of get the Speed drop due to class differences, but I did not expect his Skill to be basically skullfucked into oblivion.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

You can't kill a god
Several entries in this franchise prove that yes, you can in fact kill a god.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

vilkacis posted:

I'd just like to take a moment to appreciate how bad Jeorge is. Looking up the promotion gains for archer>sniper, his pre-promotion stats would have been 16 HP, 5 STR, 0 MAG, 5 SKL, 7 SPD, 4 LCK, 7 DEF, 0 RES. And someone thought this man deserving of a master seal!

I mean I guess the bow rank is nice but... ow.
That's pretty much as bad as Cecilia's initial stats in FE6, right?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

I really really want to try Heroes but I'm really really broke :(
Heroes is F2P. The only things you can spend money on are additional summoning orbs, but you can get those via normal gameplay without having to fork over any cash. Unless you want literally every character available or something equally insane.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlackPersona posted:

Well, there's a reason why Maria's in FE Heroes and not Lena. If you want to clerics, hey, no complaints here.
To be fair, all members of Minvera's family are in Heroes at the moment, so that's probably why Maria got a boost over Lena in the initial roster. Big brother Michalis is an enemy-exclusive unit at the moment, though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

I didn't even know Michalis was in Heroes. Huh. Learning more about that every day, as I routinely get my rear end handed to me by Narcian. (:argh:)
Yeah, there seems to be a few heroes in the game but not yet available to the player. One's a spoiler for this game, but the others are (according to wikis): Navarre, Xander, Ursula, Zephiel, and female Robin.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Honestly, better than

Marth, get some pants, buddy.
I am patiently waiting for when this variant of Marth gets released for Heroes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

"Oil from a unique fruit that goes extinct after a big war and we're only telling you about it in this one support conversation" might be one of the more half-assed explanations this franchise has farted out over the years.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alxprit posted:

Desert Fog of War? That's just... wow. What sick person decided that was a good idea?
A development team that hadn't really done much since 1999 (when Thracia 776 was released) and had to move over from the N64 Disc Drive to the Gameboy Advance because the former flopped spectacularly.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

And it's timed; you have to beat in a certain number of turns to get the gaiden chapter, and if you don't get the gaiden you don't get the good ending. And the game gives you two completely underpowered and useless units; one a level one mage and the other a mounted pre-promote. Oh, and the former has to survive to get the Gaiden.
And let's not forget the capstone to all this nonsense: there's a hidden promotion item right by the gate you have to seize to end the map, and only Sophia (the aforementioned level 1 Shaman) can find it. And finding buried items in deserts is based around the unit's Luck stat. Sophia comes with 3 Luck, for the record.

Chapter 14 in Binding Blade is cordially invited to go gently caress itself. With a cactus.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LordHippoman posted:

Basically, an entire half page or so of evidence that every time I complain about a desert map in one of these LPs, it could be worse.

It could be Binding Blade/Sword Of Seals/That One With Roy/Whatever we're calling it now. I remember liking the one in Sacred Stones, though.
Sacred Stones' desert map is a little more forgiving, depending on which route you take. Eirika's route is a little more difficult because you start up in the desert terrain and have to work your way around to get everything, but Ephraim and Duessel can handle the bottom section (sorry Knoll) without many issues. Ephraim's route gets it easier as his group starts in a plain section and not have to worry too much about the desert terrain loving up movement for 90% of the cast since he aggro a good amount of the enemies towards his group and away from Eirika/Saleh/Innes.

And with the release of Fire Emblem Heroes, IntSys has settled on Binding Blade as the subtitle of Roy's game, it seems.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Team Blue Hair, come on down! You're the next contestant on Shadow Dragon!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

rannum posted:

Echoes, at least, seems to be going for a mix of map/support points, so who knows what they'll go with in FE16.
Echoes is apparently FE16, according to some of the datamined code in the game. Which means that FE15 was in fact FE Heroes.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlazeEmblem posted:

No, IS considers the Satellaview maps for FE3 (which were remade as bonus stages in New Mystery) as FE6 for some reason. So FE15 was Fates.

Edit: Beaten.
:psyduck:

Okay then, note to self: don't bother trying to organize Fire Emblem games by release number.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

...Is he wearing a corset or something? It's not even like his whole body shape is feminine leaning (hi Lucius!), the rest of his proportions look fine. It's literally just his waistline.
It's probably a case of how the artist draws "person walking towards the viewer" images.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

This map should probably have been titled "Wind and Thunder (featuring Michalis from the School of gently caress Your Everything)". That said, it's a joy to see that the mighty Michalis is horribly weak to sass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

LifeofaGuardian posted:

It's not :smuggo:, but I feel like this works just as well.

You're welcome/I'm sorry.
Simply beautiful. :allears:

• Locked thread