Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
It was requested in the thread that there be a sequel to last thread's Christmas picture.

I resolved myself to making sure this year's picture would be of considerably higher quality than the one from two years ago, reflecting improvements I've made from that time. In a way symbolic of the whole LP.

I added antlers.

:frogsiren:Merry Christmas Thread!:frogsiren:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Chapter 5: The Catastrophic Cavalier Cavalcade (Battle)

Time to conquer our first kingdom. It’s gonna be great.

You know, Hardin, it would be nice if you showed up on that bottom screen...so I could demonstrate it...no? Okay.

: So it seems. Now, what say you we turn this battle around? I’m going to take my men east to join our might with Marth’s. Together we will retake the castle. Stay here, my lady, and wait for the good news.

Everyone from our usual team is going to advance forward so I can be in a good position to kill whatever enemies come at us. Marth is bait.

More interestingly, though, we have FIVE new characters on the other side of the map in Hardin’s squad.

This is Wolf, and oh boy, I have things to say about Wolf.

Wolf looks like he kinda blows. His stats are worse than most of our unpromoted characters, still at low levels, and there’s nothing really special about his weapon ranks. To actually understand what makes Wolf notable, we have to go to the growth rates. Keep in mind that these are BASE rates, before adding class rates. We’ll use Abel, who is considered a very good unit, as a comparison.

Wolf’s HP: 120 Abel’s HP: 25
Wolf’s Strength: 80 Abel’s Strength: 25
Wolf’s Magic: 5 Abel’s Magic: 5
Wolf’s Skill: 70 Abel’s Skill: 25
Wolf’s Speed: 60 Abel’s Speed: 40
Wolf’s Luck: 50 Abel’s Luck: 25
Wolf’s Defense: 60 Abel’s Defense: 5
Wolf’s Res: 0 Abel’s Res: 5

Wolf has ridiculously good growths in everything that will ever matter for him. He only has 17 levels to use them, but with class growth bonuses, he’ll easily swing nearly full level ups every single time, and sometimes get 2 points of any given stat, which can be done if your growth exceeds 100. That’s so rare it’s usually not worth mentioning, but that’s Wolf for you. A lot of people like to reclass Wolf to a General and have an unkillable wall for a large portion of the game, but I don’t think I’ll use him this run (IS WHAT I WOULD SAY IF I WAS A FOOL WHO DID NOT WANT TO USE WOLF, DEFINITELY IN THE ORIGINAL UPDATE.). There’s already a lot of good units.

For Sedgar, imagine what I just said about Wolf but just cut/paste his name instead. His Strength is lower, his Defense is higher, not a ton of differences otherwise.

Let’s descend from our lofty heights of kickass to...uh...Vyland. Vyland is New Cavalier 1 of 3 for this map, and he’s pretty lovely. He has slightly worse growths than Cain or Abel in almost all areas, and he comes in 4 maps later, at level 1. I don’t know why you’d use him.

Roshea is a little bit better. Very, very slightly. He’s got a naturally great HP growth at 50, like Matthis, and most of his growths are on par with Abel’s, but he has a pretty damning 0% in speed, which can really gently caress him up. Still not worth it if you’ve been using one of the original cavaliers.

: So...Hardin...does he have anything?

: A Steel Sword.

: ...In his possession?

: A Steel Sword.

: ...Can you just say it?

: No.

Hardin, the brother of Duke Aurelis, is pretty solid. His growths aren’t as good as Cain and Abel...who I keep comparing these units to, but seriously, they just gave me THREE MORE CAVS, but he’s got some really hefty bases and comes able to use B-Rank Lances right off the bat. I actually like Hardin quite a bit, and I’d consider him the best of this bunch of Cavaliers by far.

Right now, Sedgar is taking pretty heavy hits from even these standard goons, but with a few more levels, he’ll be a wall.

This Cavalier missing Marth was the harbinger of “A Good Run”. Maybe things will go better this time and I won’t have to ping-pong Lena around the map.

Worth noting is that almost every enemy on this map is going to charge us. Look at all those dimmed red dots on the top screen! Most of them will try to take down your main group, but a few like to divert to Hardin’s squad in the south.

Hunter Draug makes a strong first impression, that’s a nice double. His Strength score is going to up his effective speed too.

Barst disappoints me, which is a very rare occasion, with a miss here.

Marth makes up for it, but it does worry me how he seems to insist on staring into this horse’s eyes as he impales it.

...On a nicer note here’s a level up.

Wiping out Macedon’s first main squad of Cavaliers turns out to be a pretty trivial affair, in no small reason because we can do damage like THIS. Caeda is so, so good in this game.

I forgot to check the other enemy ranges during the fighting, but when the dust settles, Marth’s in position to pull the rest of the enemies. Honestly I couldn’t have planned that better. Mostly because I’m incompetent.

We do have enemies coming in from the west, though, so Cain blocks the bridge while Ogma and Julian back him up. Lena’s on standby for healing, and that’s the end of Team Marth’s turn.

I’ve just got Wolf here in position to waste this Archer’s time and hopefully whittle him down a bit.

There are some enemies coming for Hardin, but thankfully there’s this narrow mountain pass between them and him. Vyland stands as a meatshield for now.

Wolf decides to immediately prove to everyone that he’s loving Wolf by crit-killing this archer. Which I didn’t plan for. So now another Archer can hit him.

Or, they could if he didn’t pull off a sick dodge. He’s trying to impress you all so much.

Vyland holds up okay. Importantly, those archers can’t reach Hardin’s men from there, as the terrain is limiting and archer movement ranges aren’t great.

All the remaining east side enemies also charged us, most notably this old man.

Hardin manages to whiff this, but with that Defense it really doesn’t matter too much if he’s got to soak a hit.

Marth dodges around the Pegasus Knight to chat up the unique portrait guy. He actually will attack you, by the way. It doesn’t make sense in character, but it’s Shadow Dragon.

: Our pleas for peace have failed, and Khadein has been taken over by one of the other pontifices. His name is Gharnef, and he and the many mages who swear allegiance to him have allied themselves with Dolhr. Prince Marth, I ask you now: please lend me your help in thwarting his vile ambitions.

We’ll be hearing a lot more about Khadein, the Pontifices, and especially Gharnef. And then you will question why they made that guy one of the wizard popes.

You can also recruit Wendell with his student, Merric. In which case you get the good line:

: Well, hello, Merric! What a surprise! Good to see you haven’t blown yourself up yet.

Wendell himself has many of the same issues our old friend Jagen does. Namely that his growths and bases are hot flaming garbage. Still, he makes for a pretty good emergency healer or chip damage dealer for a little while. Just don’t make him a long term investment.

Also he can immediately betray and double this poor archer. Which was too funny for me not to do.

Meanwhile, Draug’s newfound bow power means bad news for Peg Knights.

With all of those enemies gone, it’s time to turn our attention to the bridges. This Cavalier has a Javelin, which makes him a little annoying to burn down. I’ve also got to keep the thieves in mind, because they’ll try and take the north bridge to destroy the village.

I sent Julian up there to block while Ogma takes Cain’s place so Lena can patch him up.

Lena’s levels have been disappointing so far. Her Magic usually gets better. This bodes poorly.

It turns out I made a mistake and I’ve dumped Julian in Cavalier range. At least he can take the hit.

In fact, they all went up there. Whoops.

I’ve lost my patience with this Cav. Caeda time. Sorry, one use of the Wing Spear.

One of Abel’s Javelins, along with Julian’s pretty solid damage, is enough to dispatch of the first thief.

Not exactly his ridiculous god-level from last map, but I think it averages out now.

Hardin’s loose now. These enemies will regret their decisions. Especially that archer, he’s just dead.

Cain and Julian have this guy trapped. There’s no escape, rando thief #2.

The enemies closest to the castle have a healer, but it’s not a huge deal. Just take them out before the boss.

The enemies beat Hardin down pretty bad after his reckless charge, so it’s time to get him the hell outta here.

Lena also lends a helping staff.

At some point during the enemy turn that trapped thief charged into someone or jumped off the bridge or something. Regardless, the village is safe and Marth’s going to reap the rewards.

He always looks like that. Or he blinks.

: You know, speakin’ o’ rare sights, I once went to Pyrathi, where I saw me a real live Manakete! Cripes, let me tell you what a shock THAT was! In a blink, this regular old feller turned into an enormous dragon! I mean, I ain’t stupid. I’d heard of the dragonkin before. I’d just always assumed Manaketes looked somethin’ like parakeets. Sheesh…

This NPC is better than 90% of the characters we will recruit.

: …What? Oh, this? I picked this stone up while I was there. Dunno what it is, but how often do you spy a glowin’ red rock, ya know what I’m sayin’ But honestly, it’s been kinda creepin’ me out lately. You want it? Go on ‘n’ take it. Sheesh…

:allears:

We’ll find out what this is for later. It’s useless right now.

I bought some Steel weapons from this armory. I’m not even really sure why, I think I might have a problem.

Ogma gets a lucky dodge on this arrow. Which is good, because-

I forgot the Peg Knight could fly over here. This would have been a very embarrassing death and restart. He at least does take her out on the counter.

Ogma scoots out while Cord does what he does best.

Then he magically retrieves us a key. This could be useful soon. Or we could use Julian.

After that near-death from above, cleaning up the rest of the enemies is smooth sailing.

I want to complain. But it’s defense on Caeda.

There’s an available conversation between Marth and Hardin here. Sadly none of the Wolfguard ever get a line. Not even to let you know they’re called the “Wolfguard”, that’s just from the sequel.

: And I very gratefully accept it. Stories of your exploits travel fast, young prince. I feel as though I’ve gained a thousand allies in one.

Not YET.

: I’ve heard a few stories of you as well, Coyote. It will be an honor to fight alongside such a courageous man.

: I’ve left Princess Nyna someplace safe for now. We need to decide who will command here. I was hoping it would be you.

: Me? But, Sir Hardin, you are far more qualified-

: Tsk, Princess Nyna would not be pleased to hear us nitpicking over who will be listed in the history books. Take command, so we can oust this Macedonian scum and be done with it.

Hypothesis: RPG characters who have cool turbans are universally cool dudes.

: You are sure?

: Make no mistake. Lord Marth. I consider myself an exceptionally good judge of character.

: :ironicat:

: Don’t do that.

The gang’s all here now! Let’s take down the boss.

Merach his some intimidating stats, with a near impenetrable Defense and a 22 Attack stat, which can rip people up. He does have a glaring weakness, though. Zero Resistance and a one range weapon.

I just wanted to see if hitting still got you experience if you didn’t do damage. It does not. But now you know!

Cord sorta takes a cursory glance of his tome before attacking.

That’s the crit animation. It’s...not great. But hey, this is as good as won now.

Give me that hot Speed.

And that’s the end of that.

Well, this could be handy.

Also, I gave Hardin the Silver Sword that old man from last map said we should give him…and he can’t even use it. Hardin has a B in Lances, not Swords! I’m not sure if that’s a weird carry over from the original game or something, or maybe that old guy was just confused.

:toot:

This is apparently Hardin’s brother, although it looks like it could be his grandpa.

: Princess Nyna of Archanea is en route from the fortress. I am sure she will wish to meet you. The battle is not won yet, though: many of the enemy continue to hold out within the castle’s halls. Stay wary.

Next time we spend several months sieging a castle and throwing dead cows over the wall. Hope you’re looking forward to it.

Oh, hey, that’s a thing in this game!

Bonus Content

Out of all the characters we recruited in this update, only Wendell doesn’t have a Cipher card. :smith: But we’ll just go with my favorite.

The Younger Brother of King Aurelis, Hardin

FE12 Spoilers: Yes, there’s a Cipher card for his Dark Emperor form too, but I feel like that might be out of place here.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Feb 12, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and request you reclass Hardin into a Cleric so he can finish his Minwu cosplay

He won't be a very GOOD one, but...he must unlock the secrets of Ultima.

Camel Pimp posted:

Least I still had Sedger. Although I also lost Hardin in a later map, so that run was not kind to the Wolfguard.

Still not as unkind as the sequel was!

Also, MightyPretenders and Blaze Dragon, thanks for the info. It does manage to sorta continually surprise me what things weren't touched at all when they remade this game 20+ years later.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

magikid posted:

I've probably asked this about Fire Emblem before, but how do you guys deal with it all? Everything about these games just seems hilariously "anti-player."

Permanent character death, so no room for mistakes. Limited experience that you have to carefully balance between characters (while still trying to clear the stage). Random level gains, so characters you've put work into can turn out terrible for no reason. No failsafe if that happens. Weapon durability for everything. Replacement weapons can only be bought in the middle of battle, when presumably enemies are trying to kill you. Weapon ranks and character relationships, so there's more stuff to manage. Gold comes from villages, which enemy thieves can destroy apparently? Really, all that's missing is hunger and thirst meters for everyone.

Are the games just generally easy enough that it doesn't matter much? I've never played any of them, but they just look like this massive brick wall that hates all life.

To be honest it is a lot easier than it looks at first. Most enemies aren't up to par with your units, so a huge horde of them isn't as frightening as it typically appears. Most of it comes down to knowing the maps, knowing your units, and planning/hoping for the best. For comparison, I can do most FE games on Hard, but stuff like a Nuzlocke in Pokemon, or even BEATING the original Final Fantasy Tactics is beyond me.

You'll occasionally get into that situation, though, where you forget to replace a weapon (Which you can get basic versions of between maps, by the way, I might have missed showing that.), or some reinforcements show up at a bad time, and you've really got to think on your feet. Which is the part I like most, it reminds me a lot of something like XCOM. And if it all goes south and someone you really want to keep around dies, you can always reset, though the game does its best to ensure you're getting a steady flow of new units in case you need to fill a hole in the roster.

There are certainly some parts that are VERY bullshit, though. Reinforcements taking their turns the moment they appear is awful, even if it is only on Hard. Weapon Durability can be pretty obnoxious, and they dropped it in the most recent game. And, although it's rare, yeah, RNG can totally gently caress over someone who usually turns out great and it's a pain, but I've never been in a position where I've felt like I've had to restart the game over it. Most of the games even toss you a freebie character towards the end who can hold their own against the final boss.

Honestly the newer games do a lot to make the frustration less prominent. This game is basically a Famicom game with a new coat of paint, so it's very old-school and clunky, but something like Awakening, the first 3DS game, has a lot of ease-of-use upgrades, including an option to turn off the permadeath if that's not something you want. Some of them even have unlimited EXP with optional little "grinding" maps.

Basically what chiasaur said, there's a bit of a bump to get over, but you learn to sort of take a lot of FE's bullshit as second nature and handle it without really thinking about it.

Sjs00 posted:

Save scumming.

Also yeah, do not fear the Reset Button.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I agree with most of your points but man, that's some weird ability you've got there. The only FEs I managed to beat were Awakening and Fates: Birthright on Normal, and even I beat FF Tactics and completed several Nuzlockes.

Well, Tactics was ages ago and I think I was on that one map everybody hates, the Execution Grounds? The one where you fight the Dark Knight. I'd go back to it if my PSP still worked. The Nuzlocke attempts were also from a while back.

I dunno, maybe a few years of age and the experience of playing video games for the internet has bolstered me enough to beat up Gargamel or whatever his name was.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 6: Ocean’s 14 (Prep)

I have managed to pry myself out of the maw of post-holiday cleanup and Steam Winter Sale splurging to provide today’s prep update.

Please enjoy.

(seriously please try this part of the game is pretty dull)

We’ve just moved inside that building Merach was guarding in the last chapter. It’s bigger on the inside.

: A number of treasures slept in Aurelis Castle’s nooks and crannies but how to extract them before they could fall into enemy hands?

: hey

: “Only a thief could open chests locked that tight,” grumbled one of Marth’s men.

: Hey

: “But we don’t have any thieves with us...Do we?”

: HEY

As the chapter narration there implied, this map is a good one for thieves. We’ll be indoors, so Caeda will be slightly more handicapped than she usually is getting around. You can still use mounted units indoors, of course. Having to dismount would be RIDICULOUS.

(you totally did that in the original)

We’ll also be up against a number of Knights, so Cord is going to be an asset, as well as Barst if I slap him with the Hammer.

As was requested, here’s Curate Hardin.

I don’t even like Final Fantasy 2, but Rabbi Raccoon has good taste in finding lookalike characters. Also Minwu was pretty rad, I can’t deny that.

I also went ahead and made Wolf into a General for this map, because I want to show how hilariously busted General Wolf is early on, and Draug’s on Bow Vacation.

Generals are Promoted Knights, and can use Lances and Bows.

Speaking of Lances, we have a ton of them! Mostly from all the Cavaliers that have shoved their way into the party. You can always sell them if you want, but I like keeping spare low rank weapons around, in case of reclassing.

I also totally forgot to explain the details of Excalibur when Merric joined. My bad. Excalibur is a weird Tome, it can only be used by male characters, and it’s B rank...except for Merric, who can use it at E rank.

It also does triple damage to flying units, and since fliers are so good in FE11, it’s a fantastic weapon. Cord’s a long way from using it, though.

This map itself is easily the most complex we’ve seen so far. We’ll have to make our way through the castle to reach that Throne, as usual, but we’re in very tight quarters.

To add to that unfortunate squeeze, we’ll have to deal with lots of Knights blocking the paths from these side rooms, as well as Archers and Mages forming a backline. If you can blow down a knight and kill his support on the same turn, it makes a lot of difference in how well you can clear this map.

You might also notice lots of chests scattered around. Julian’s going to have his hands full. Both proverbially and literally. Move quick, though, because enemy thieves will also go for the prizes, and then you have to kill them to get it back.

It’s a good habit to get into checking enemies out before the map, because sometimes you’ll find weird outlier enemies like this random Cavalier packing a Silver Lance! He’s also holding a Master Key, a five use item that effectively turns any character into a Thief, letting them open a locked door or chest.

Of particular note is this chest, rudely guarded by a Knight and two Archers. Also this hallway is baffling. The whole castle is baffling. Who lives here?

The boss is packing quite a bit of backup too, although some of those units will charge us. Others have got to be lured out.

As for the boss himself, it’s our first Promoted enemy boss, Emereus the General. He’s really not a bigger threat than Merach was, given his one range weapon, but don’t try to fight him head on. He’s also got a Master Key. It’s almost like this chapter is Thief themed…

Oh also there’s a recruitable thief right north of us.

Let’s help him out next time, when I manage to again struggle out of the grip of pulling stray tinsel off of my clothes and playing Dishonored 2. (it’s really cool)

Bonus Content!

In the sequel, every character has Support Conversations with the player avatar, My Unit/Chris. I’ll be recycling Steve from the last LP because we already have this lovely portrait.

Reclassing Is Pretty Rad (Steve/Sedgar 2)

: Axes...Good. Meh, this sword is in need of repair.

: Sir Sedgar.

: Oh, Dame Steve. Sorry for taking up so much space always.

: No, don’t worry. Say, would you allow me to take a look at this horse tack?

(I had to look that up, “horse tack” is like saddles and what not. Horse accessories.)

: Yes, go ahead.

: This was... very meticulously done. Did you... do all of this, Sir Sedgar?

: That's right. Well, I wasn't the one supposed to use it at first, but…

: Eh? Then, who?

: Wolf.

: Oh, the Wolfguard's leader... right?

Who else would lead the Wolfguard?

: He's... in one word, a genius. I got his bow and tack ready, and he fired. At first, that was how we operated. But, in the previous war, he got more and more stronger…

: And came to use weapons other than bows?

: Precisely. Depending on the strategy, he changed the weapons he used.

: That’s… amazing…

: And, to match his pace... I ended up getting used to repairing all kinds of weapons.

I like this one because it feels like a bit of a nod from the writers about how people would very frequently reclass Wolf in Shadow Dragon because of how totally broken you can make him. Thus the mentions of him using roughly every kind of weapon.

Also, here’s Sedgar’s Cipher Card, because I doubt I’ll be showing it off later:

The Assistant Leader of the Wolf Knights, Sedgar

Gonna assume “Wolf Knights” is a finicky translation for “Wolfguard”.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 6: Ocean’s 14 (Battle)

Let’s all rob our new allies blind.

I think Emereus has the worst haircut of all the bosses so far.

: Grrr…Very well! Armored units: intercept the intruders! Archers: defend the throne ! Thieves, you go gather up the treasure while I make preparations to withdraw. You have your orders! Don’t let those rebels anywhere near this chamber!

He’s also a coward and an idiot. I might just be still upset I had to upload a portrait for this guy’s one line. I’m lazy tonight.

So, immediately I unlock this door with Marth’s Door Key from last map. We can get our new recruit on Turn 1!

It’s one of the rare non-Marth/Caeda recruitments. (Marth can recruit him too, though, but Julian’s conversation is way better.)

: So, funny story: I decided to break in here and clean the place out. And then I got caught. Hilarious, right? Comedy gold. OK, your turn. What are YOU doin’ here?

: Me? I’ve washed my hands of thievery and joined the forces of justice.

: Ohhh really? Justice? So then this wouldn’t have nothin’ to do with some new lady friend? You always did have a soft spot for a pretty face and the right features-

: Wha- Can it, you little fink! I said it’s about justice! I’m entitled to have a moral crisis now and then!

Julian’s great. :allears: It’s too bad this is his last line in the whole game because Shadow Dragon.

: …You know what? Just for that, YOU are gonna work for me, startin’ right now.

: What? Do I have to…? Well, all right. You drive a hard bargain, but what can I say? I missed ya, Chief. Just make sure I get a cut out of the haul!

Rickard is, sadly, pretty much completely redundant and not good. He has no growths better than Julian, and gets blown out of the water in a lot of those categories. He also shows up at a lower level three chapters later. You could deploy two thieves, but it’s sort of a waste of a deployment slot unless you REALLY want to open things quick, and with something you get at the end of this map, that’s rarely even a concern.

If Julian’s dead, this is your only backup though.

I also had Caeda visit the Armory and grab a Hammer, because I realized I forgot one, and it could be great against all the Knights on this map.

It...would help if Barst could use them. drat you, one appealing part of Bord!

I take care to stay out of any enemy ranges.

This map doesn’t really give a drat. Most of the enemies just rush you. That 2-tile wide hallway is going to be a loving warzone by the time we’re done.

It doesn’t help that most of these guys have high Defense. Thankfully, so long as Cord uses an axe, it’s a one round kill.

I’m playing it safe here and just trying to stick in the range of one enemy. There’s a Mage coming for us, and Draug can counter.

Opening chests is as simple as standing on the tile and picking this command. It doesn’t give any experience, so Rickard can get this one.

Small Bullion is just something you can sell for 1k gold.

And here’s where the complications come in. Enemy Thieves can ALSO open Chests. And when they get the treasures inside, they’ll make a mad dash for the exit. If you don’t take them out by then, you can lose valuable items, like this Seraph Robe, a consumable that grants 7 Max HP, permanently.

I believe each enemy thief will only steal one item, though, so there’s no circumstances like FE7’s Legault potentially just cleaning up the map by himself.

Mages are bad news because everyone’s Resistance is awful, pretty much. And it will stay that way.

Thankfully they’re squishy, and Draug’s speedy, so this guy doesn’t live to cast again.

Ironically for a former Knight, Hunter Draug’s weakest aspect is probably his durability, but the guy can melt people with doubles!

The enemy has now formed a pretty effective blockade. If I was a patient person, I’d wait and calmly lure them out, but there’s sort of an invisible timer here with how quick the enemy Thieves can steal the good items littered around the map. I don’t have time for my usual cowardly professional LP tactics.

This was just a long way of saying “Cord kills another guy”

This is almost the exact level Draug just got, but with Strength and Magic flipped.

Wendell, unfortunately, can’t quite kill the second knight, but he does leave him with 1 HP and basically cause him to be a free EXP bag for whoever decides to pop that.

It won’t be Hardin, he’s healing.

Abel takes care of it, using the javelin because I know that Archer’s out for blood.

Unfortunately, that whole hallway is now a bit of a killbox. There are two archers waiting in the wings up there, along with one to the west and two Cavaliers that are coming from the north, one with a Silver Lance. Nobody we have but Wolf can take that much punishment, but plugging that hole would divide the enemies. Unfortunately, Wolf can’t reach it.

Or can he?

This is Lena’s Warp Staff, and it is ridiculous.

The Warp Staff allows you to place a unit anywhere on the map, ANYWHERE, at the cost of one use. People who read the other Fire Emblem LP I did might remember me clearing the second to last chapter in one turn with this thing, and that’s not even the limit of how broken it can get.

Right now, though, it just plugs a gap.

It also grants a ton of XP to the user.

Draug and Navorbo team up to kill the last archer on this side, and the area is clear.

Just in time, too, given that the enemy thieves have reached the chests! I want this.

Also this.

Especially th-He just ran right past us! What a dick!

I don’t think we need to worry about Wolf.

Or Abel.

But ESPECIALLY not Wolf.

The rude thief gets deleted for his efforts.

Yeah, I’ll take that. The Physic staff is also great, but I’ll definitely be demoing it in the future.

With the enemy chargers locked on this side of the Wolf Door, we can start chipping away using ranged weapons to clear the path.

This Thief picked the wrong chest to loot today. Sometimes I really love Movement on Cavaliers.

By “Sometimes” I mean “roughly always”.

Literally Always.

The Armorslayer is a C Rank sword that deals triple damage to Knights and Generals.

The other Thief was a little smarter, but I can still get some chip damage on him.

Complicating things, this Curate isn’t content to let his allies just get whittled down. We can out damage him, so it’s not a huge deal.

Unfortunately, though, the Thief that stole the Killing Edge is already out here. The tunnel to the east is the map exit. It’s time to try and blitz through here as fast as possible.

Wendell downs the Cavalier pretty easily.

The death of that unarmed Curate has been censored for your viewing sensibilities, but what’s important is that Caeda can now charge through the gap. This might not be enough. I could use Warp again, but it’s really not worth blowing another charge.

Meanwhile, Cord and Barst get rid of this terrifying Silver Lance guy. Seriously, this is a rude surprise to drop in Chapter 6.

The reward is nice, though. I forgive everything.

So, now that all those Hallway Shenanigans are done, it’s time to actually make progress. The key here is that one of these archers has a tiny bit more range than his friends, making him easy pickings to get lured out.

But before that I need this back.

Thanks.

Thanks again. That’s probably the best prize here, Stat Boosters are great.

Draug lures this poor guy into a very bad position.

Also the dream is dead. :smith: Goodbye, Killing Edge. You have to be super aggressive to get that, though, so I’m not feeling too bad about this.

Draug does need to run, back into the loving embrace of our two healer dream team.

Abel passes the Armorslayer Baton over to Ogma before killing that Archer, and now we get to watch the magic happen.

Miraculously these both hit and the game doesn’t punish me for my hubris like usual, by the way.

Oh, Marth can also chat with Rickard if he didn’t recruit him.

: Just a small-time thief, mind you, but I’ve got big aspirations! Julian asked me to help you out, see, and what the chief says, goes! So here I am.

It’s not...super interesting. Rickard’s a fun character in the one chapter he gets the spotlight in, but that’s another game entirely.

Nothing too interesting here, Abel’s just killing this Archer, but I wanted to note that those pillars on the ground are actually terrain. They give you 10 Avoidance, like indoor forests. It’s...not really that useful of information, but hey!

I’m in the doldrums of a Shadow Dragon LP, what do you want from me?

Low Heal output from Hardin might seem like a downside, and it mostly is…

But it does allow me to double up on heals, and experience!

Caeda spends the rest of the map staring at the exit, wondering what could have been.

Now that all the urgency for this chapter’s gone, I’m reverting to cowardly lure mode for the last room.

Marth, at least, seems to be a fan!

This second pull’s going to be a bit more dangerous, with an Archer and a Knight, so the durable n’ hefty Barst is going to try it on for size.

Also Lena got the only one stat level up I really care about. Magic’s good.

Barst not only dodged this arrow, he doubled and killed the Archer.

This thread should really have been called “I loving Love Barst”.

I dunno how many people have even seen Brian’s Song.

The Armorslayer was the only way Nabarmorslayer could damage this Knight, by the way. That defense is really not to be hosed with.

I really don’t like Myrmidons much in this game, because since dodge-tanking isn’t really reliable anymore, thanks to the very generous hit rate, they just don’t have the survivability to be on the front lines where they want to go.

Barst could pull again, but that Mage is going to do quite a bit of damage to his poor 0 Resistance self. If only I could mitigate that in a scenario I set up just to show off this rather niche Stave.

So the Barrier Stave just gives a unit 7 free Resistance. It drops by one each turn, but it’s a good way to tank a group of mages, something that will rarely happen in this game. Good to know anyway.

It’s a little chilly in here. :smuggo:

Navarre, please don’t waste your crits on the healers.

So we’ve just got Emereus left now, and...to be honest…

Lack of a 2 range weapon makes him completely useless. Cord slowly burned his HP down…

And the Rapier finished it. For style points.

This was not worth the style points.

If Rickard wasn’t enough you could probably effectively replace a dead Julian with the keys on this map anyway.

And now, for the first time in several chapters, plot!

: ‘Tis Archanea’s burden to protect the world of crisis- a duty I have striven to fulfill. But Dolhr has laid waste to my kingdom, and now I find myself powerless to stop the world from falling into ruin. Marth… Please, pick up the banner where I have let it fall. Lead your might against Dohr , and free us all.

So, there are some other changes in different versions of the script than just Caeda and Navarre’s names. The version I’m transcribing has Dolhr as “Doluna”, Macedon as “Medon”, and Archanea as “Akaneia”. Sort of odd for a modern game.

: Of course, Princess Nyna. Altea swore fealty to Archanea long ago, a vow we have always kept. And, as you know, it is in my blood – House Altea’s blood – to destroy Medeus just as Anri did before me.

: House Archanea bestows it only upon a true champion, one we believe has the power to save the world. With it, you gain the right to open treasure chests across the land and wield the precious items within. I know you will use them well. Never give up, Marth. Fight, until the day you restore light to our world.

We get a special extended item fanfare for this one. It’s plot important...kinda. :toot:

The Fire Emblem is now permanently glued to Marth’s inventory and allows him to open all chests. Kinda like a Thief without the doors. It will proceed to do nothing else for the remainder of the game.

Next time:

Not that.

: Steve?

: Hmm?

: I actually made all of that up.

: Wh-

: Pretty much everybody died and then we went to the beach.

Next time, we return to the alternate Normal Mode timeline for a bonus chapter where pretty much everybody dies and also Jagen goes to the beach.

Bonus Content

Holy Woman of the Saved Country, Nyna

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 12, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Ugh. Even Jagen got to the beach before me this year

It's hard to beat Jagen anywhere with his Paladin movement.

Miacis posted:

A good way to completely remove the difficulty of this map is to warp a high defense unit on the stairs to the courtyard, on the very first turn. The thieves will open the chests and then patiently wait in line until the way to their only exit is cleared. It also distracts some of the northern forces away from the death corridor.

Or, y'know, just buy that Killing Edge later, they're pretty cheap.

In retrospect this would have been a better idea, but I honestly didn't even plan on using the Warp this map until I remembered "oh yeah, I need to block a space." I also may have been able to stop that thief if I'd snuck Abel or Cain through with Wolf a little earlier. Eh, like you said, though, Killing Edge isn't a huge deal.

I like the term "death corridor" because that really is probably the single most dangerous part of the game so far. It's a perfect storm of poo poo bearing down on you in a tight spot that you really usually don't encounter until later maps and better units.

MightyPretenders posted:

I think the idea is "whoever holds this shield is the rightful owner of everything in the world, particularly every treasure chest."

I get to wondering how that works and I can really only picture Marth bashing a chest open with his shield, screaming "I AM THE CHOSEN OF HOUSE ARCHANEA, SLAYER OF THE SHADOW DRAGON"

If I were a better artist you'd get a drawing of that.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I completely forgot that hammers are C-rank in this game, as I've been so used to them being D-rank weapons in nearly every other game.

I thought I was going crazy for a second, but yeah, you're right, this one is an outlier there. I wonder if they got bumped up with the removal of Bronze Weapons after Radiant Dawn? Although they were D in the GBA games too, so :shrug:.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, I can't promise better, especially not when I decided for some reason that it was a great idea to try to draw it on a system that could play Shadow Dragon, and I still haven't done the colors but...

I think the little shake lines around his fist are my favorite part. Truly Marth is a regal Lord befitting of respect, titles, and being that character you hate your friends picking in Super Smash Bros.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Hey, psst. It's me, double posting. This next update is gonna take a while because I have to replay the whole game up to now on Normal.

Still, I could use some advice. I'm going to be playing the three Fire Emblem 12 DLC Chapters for this LP. They take place between the end of this game and the start of the next one. I'm conflicted, though, on where I want to put them. Would you prefer it if I interspersed them throughout the LP, preferably after meeting characters who are important in them? Or should I save them all for the end?

I'm leaning towards the former, so the finale can be...the finale, but if people strongly prefer it the other way I'll do that.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

LifeofaGuardian posted:

Oh man, I forget to check SA for a month or so and this thread pops up.
And about Matthis, I used him in FE12 (mostly because I like using unpopular units, I also used Bord and Cord) and he turned out like this :allears::

Welcome back! Unfortunately I must regretfully inform you that this is a positive Matthis free zone, because he has a bad haircut and a crush on his sister.

Also the Normal mode run is going...

well.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 6x: A Vonderful Day To Die (Prep)

: Sir Jagen, I’m afraid I don’t understand.

: I may have mixed up a few minor details. Such as downplaying my glorious contributions.

: Glorious.

Hi. So, uh, you might be wondering what I’m doing here, and the answer is that because it’s Normal Mode and a side run, I’m just Boss Abusing here.

Boss Abuse, which I explained in the regular playthrough but I’ll restate here, is using the fact that bosses regenerate their HP on thrones to just endlessly milk experience off of them. I’m doing it with Jagen and Norne here. Norne can simply sit out of his range and plink away at him, but Jagen has to be healed up by Wrys.

The only real casualties here (besides my time) are weapon uses. I burnt out Wrys’ whole starting Heal Stave here, which conveniently got him a lot of EXP as well.

: And then we hit Gazzak. And then we hit Gazzak. And then we hit Gazzak. And then we hit Gazzak. And then we hit Gazzak.

: …

I stopped once Norne had hit Level 10, broken two entire Iron Bows, and maxed out her Bow weapon level. In chapter one.

Naturally Jagen got the kill, though.

It only took...94 turns.

To be fair most of them were just using Norne or Wrys, so it didn’t take nearly as long as it looks.

Norne was so buff she just obliterated poor Darros before he could even recruit himself.

: We had little time to mourn the loss of Cord.

: Bord?

: No, I’m having a great time!

On Normal, Castor can’t one shot Caeda. How generous.

Ogma still does fine.

Things didn’t go well for Cord here. In case you didn’t read that part of the OP, yes, mass unit suicide is REQUIRED for the bonus chapters in this game. It’s dumb and bad. Thankfully they never brought it back.

: Next, we entered the Samsooth Mountains...

I missed his attack line last time around, so here you go.

: You go on ahead…Save yourself! Here, I could use this Warp staff to send you someplace safe-

: Uh-uh, honey. No can do. I didn’t betray my boys back there so you could zap-

: SEND YOU SOMEPLACE SAFE.

: drat.

Lena didn’t make for a great chokepoint.

: Naturally, I held the line, defending the valley against the foul marauders who slew the cleric!

: Sister Lena helped you get into this bed, Sir Jagen.

: The Scarlet Swordsman was nothing before the might of my Silver Lance!

: Then I absorbed his powers.

So, once you reach Chapter 4, AKA the first one with the prep screen, you get this conversation with with Malledus if you don’t have enough units to max out the deployment cap.

: Naturally, the possibility of espionage worries me… but they seem honest enough.

: We do sorely need the help… If they still wish to fight, tell them I will gladly have them!

Any prep screen where you don’t have enough units to fill the available slots for that chapter will supply you with Generic Units like these guys. They...work a lot like normal characters, only lacking portraits and any support bonuses. They have their own growth rates, base stats, etc.

It’s not enough to save them from the bloodlust of the Gaiden chapter requirements.

Oh, they also don’t have any dialogue. But, again...Shadow Dragon.

You can even send them into the Arena!

On a semi-related note, the Arena guy has unique quotes if someone dies!

: Then I became a wizard.

: With my own special spell!

+10, by the way, is the Might cap for weapon forging.

: I was the most powerful elderly Sage in the land!

: …I made sure of that. Thankfully Sir Sedgar joined us!

: What about the rest of the Wolfguard? Or Hardin?

: ...Don’t worry about it.

I also found out that if you take too long on this chapter, some cavaliers and Pegasus Knights start to spawn from the forts. I think this is the first instance of reinforcements in the main game.

Sorry, Rickard. You’re worth a lot of Experience.

I got it this time.

: And then we went to the beach.

: The War Beach!

To unlock this chapter, as well as any other Gaiden chapter in the game, you have to have less than 15 units remaining. This means you’ll have to keep killing off recruits if you want to continue getting them.

I love that guy in the front doing the Jerry Seinfeld shrug.

: Pirates had struck the war-torn village at its weakest and abducted its children. Marth could not ignore such an injustice, and rode with his army to the rescue…

These characters, and Draug slightly offscreen, are all that’s left.

This map is pretty straightforward. We’ll need to make our way along these coasts and bridges to reach the southwest island.

The enemies are pretty numerous, but they’re decently scattered and pretty low level, there’s not much to worry about in terms of large scale attacks or chokepoints.

Notably, this Village is in the northwest corner of the map, as well as a Mage. Those are always worth noting because of awful Resistance pretty much across the board in this game.

The boss is really nothing worth noting. He’s got less Attack than that Silver Lance regular Cavalier from the last map. He’s even there on Normal, by the way.

Also Barst is a Pirate now.

Next time we meet the best Gaiden character.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 9, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 6x: A Vonderful Day To Die (Battle)

This is our first Gaiden map, and it’s going to be a pretty short and sweet affair. These chapters, are, in general, pretty easy, most likely because they’re meant to replenish the rosters of players who are struggling and have lost a lot of characters.

So let’s just get started.

: But you’ve barely recovered! If you try to fight the pirates in that state, you’ll only-

: Only vat? Die? If your villagers had not pulled us from the sea, ve vould have been svallowed by the vaves anyway. That is the least ve can do. Vat sort of selfish creature do you take us for?

Have you figured out Athena’s gimmick yet?

: But there’s no way you can stop them! There’s only one of you-er, yous.

: Look, please just wait a little longer. I’ve sent our younger folk to find help. Give them a chance to return!

: ...Very well. Ve vill vait for this “help”. But if no vun comes, make no mistake: ve vill not sit idly by.

She will absolutely sit idly by until we get there.

The map is nice enough to start you near some convenient forts. Or, they’d be convenient if YOU reached them on the first turn. I’m dumb and let Julian stand where a pirate is going to get the fort bonus. Ah well.

The first wave of enemies on this map will rush you, so it’s not a bad idea to just stay near the start and cut them down as they come to you. I’m not doing a speedrun here.

The enemies that do rush you are...a little erratic, though. It seems to just be some very arbitrarily placed units.

I took out the pirate that came for Julian, with some help from Merric, and now Barst is going to show these pirates using forts how to really be a pirate on a fort.

Yes, like that.

I’m not going to show all the levels in these Gaiden maps, because they don’t affect the main run, but I wanted to remind you all that Barst is, in fact...good.

: “Stand behind the beefy pirate”, they said to me, “He’s got a fort!”, they said. Bah! Axes beat lances, but y’know what beats Axes?

: Swords?

: Fire.

Honestly, these enemies can do decent damage, but they’re all fairly slow and you’ve got control of the space. This opening salvo of guys is pretty much some free EXP.

The design of the map works against the enemies, too. This archer is completely cut off from his friends thanks to the river tiles that surround the islands. Unfortunately, Caeda can’t one shot him yet, so I didn’t do this. We’ll have to be a little patient…

You can go either way here, both the north and south paths will lead you to the boss, but I just split the army and took both. Marth is going to want to head north for the village, though.

Here’s the benefit of the Pirate class. They can walk on water! This little trick is usually pretty useless, but on maps like this we can get some nice advantages. Time to soften him up for Caeda.

Or, it would be, if Barst wasn’t just an unstoppable blender of pain.

Frey is pretty much just soloing the lower path, because all it has now is...this archer.

Nothing really notable in this shot. I just wanted to point out that Heroes, the class I put Sedgar in, do silly backflips after every attack.

Heroes, by the way, are promoted Mercenaries who can also use Axes.

Just hanging out here in the ocean. The ocean gives you 20 Avoidance, by the way!

Still, that’s enough goofing around, let’s get a new character.

: Ah, splendid. How many of you? Gather your men, and we’ll be on our way at once.

Athena is so good.

: I heard pirates took the village children, so I brought my army straightaway.

: …If you say so. Ve are called Athena. The vee vuns have been visked away to a castle south of here. Come. Ve have a fair bit of skill vith a sword; hopefully the same can be said of you, Marth of Altea.

Athena, despite my dislike for Myrmidons in this game, is a really, really good unit. Some people purposely kill off a lot of units in the first part of the game just to get her. She comes at a really high level with good base stats. When it comes to Growth rates, Nabavarl has her beat in a few categories, notably Strength and Luck, but she’s still solid, and I like her a little more.

Sadly Wrys has gotten 3 empty levels in the eight he’s scored as part of the team :smith:

All that’s really left to worry about now are these two guards near the boss.

Barst and Jagen, at the ready.

I wanted to show this Sedgar level just to point out the +2 in HP. That means his growth rate was over 100%, so he automatically got a +1, then it procced again. I think HP is the only stat you can see that in in this game.

Yikes, Jagen’s pretty brittle. I’ll keep that in mind.

Meanwhile Barst has a duel with a wizard in the middle of the ocean.

Bathys is...a huge chump. WIth a little luck a fresh Athena can solo him (on Normal).

Of course, a little help (and a little extra XP) is never something to turn down.

: Yo ho, gangplank, shiver me timbers, rattle me bones, broadside!

Marth just stares, stone cold at these kidnapped children. He sorta tends to do that a lot in this game.

: We were ready to abandon all hope, but you came to our aid when no one else would, when you did not have to. I know today’s battle means little when the entire world is at war. History may not remember it- but we will. Our village will speak of your feats for generations to come.

:unsmith:

: You have?

: It is the least ve can do. Vat sort of selfish creature do you take us for? Ve vill join you, and you vill be grateful. Do ve make ourselves clear?

: P-perfectly clear, Athena. Your swordsmanship will turn the tides in many a battle to come.

Next time, back to the main run for Lefcandith Gauntlet. For real.

Bonus Content

Athena's really the only choice here, right?

The Swordsman of a Foreign Country, Athena

Uh :stonk:

That's not how spines...work.

One sec, Athena deserves better.

As a remake exclusive character, Athena got her own artwork.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 12, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

MightyPretenders posted:

This is one of the few times Shadow Dragon acknowledges just how much the tone of the series has changed.

The early games tended to be written as "And the next data point historians have found is that Marth's army was here."

Up to, Binding Blade, the endings were "And this is who was remembered by history and how. We're pretty sure the dragon chick wasn't actually real, but she adds a certain something to the plays written about the campaign later." Then the transition to Blazing Sword subtly changed it to "This is what happened. And this is how they lived their lives afterward."

This is a really good point and something I didn't notice. There's a very noticeable shift between the very character focused plots of something like Awakening and the impersonal, history book sort of things like FE3 or those Satelliview games.

From what I've seen of FE4, mostly just through fionordequester's LP (I'd recommend it, he knows his stuff way more than I do and goes into some fantastic detail!), that one goes a lot more in depth than FE usually does with the setting.

Like, this game is sorta like "Gra exists" while FE4 would go with "The kingdom of Gra, founded in the lunar year 321 is a mercantile republic ruled by Duke Something, who is currently in political negotiations to expand his borders three feet west, threatening to disrupt the volatile pseudo-alliance grafted by the Treaty of Manfroy in 240." It slows down a bit after the intro cutscene, but they give you a heck of a lot of information and try to flesh out a very "medieval world" kind of setting.

The backstory kinda feels like someone's Fire Emblem mod of Crusader Kings. (Is that a thing? That's gotta be a thing.)

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 10, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

"Except for the part where you got 80% of your army killed in the process. That part didn't happen."

I like that according to the sequel, yes, this is exactly how it worked out.

Also I realized I forgot to put the bonus content in the last two updates, so it's in now.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 7: Death From Above, Also Below (Prep)

So, after our brief detour into that parallel playthrough, it’s time to get back to the main game of Shadow Dragon.

(i’m sorry)

It’s...it’s one of these save files.

There we go.

: They followed the Middleroad south, bound for Archanea Palace- a perilous route, for it took them right into Lefcandith Valley and the jaws of trouble. The countless fortresses lining the valley made it a veritable gauntlet, and compounding the danger was the presence of the Whitewings, a knightly order led by Princess Minerva of Macedon. It would be a fierce battle

Minerva sounds like bad news.

I’d like to note that, in a nice detail, the name of our forces is “Arch. League” from now on instead of “Altea”. Because now Marth has the Fire Emblem or something.

Just going to bring the usual team for this mission. You’ll probably want at least one bow unit for this map, because fliers are about to rear their ugly, dragon/horse heads. Wolf and Draug should work for us. Also, countering lances is good, so if you’ve got a powerful axe unit, say with high durability, stren-

Barst. I’m saying use Barst.

Sadly, I want to keep the squishy units to a minimum in this one, and movement’s at a premium, so Hardin’s going to have to quit being Minwu for now.

Lefcandith Gauntlet is...a gauntlet. We’ll want to run most of our units down that long path to the west. We do have a few complications, though, aside from all those red dots.

Namely, I’ve got to send Marth to this village...which is oddly well defended, with two archers, two Mercenaries, and a locked gate. So he’ll want backup as well.

This archer has a nasty surprise, the Longbow. It’s the only 3 range weapon in the game, so he’ll be able to avoid counters, even from other archers! I’ll probably want to rush him down.

This whole path is pretty empty and easy to run through. Well, for now, at least.

There’s a thief with a redundant door key here. I assume that’s in case you have no other way to open the gate. Unfortunately, that’s not our only foe. There are a lot of forts scattered along the south side of the valley...and they’ll be pumping out enemies each turn. That’s bad, bad news, especially on Hard Mode. We’ve got a fight ahead of us.

To add to our problems, Macedon reveals their main gimmick in this chapter, flying units! The Dracoknight is a promoted Pegasus Knight. Imagine Caeda but buff and also she’s got an axe.

Thankfully the boss is nothing special. Another General without a two range weapon. Cord fodder.

He’s probably not the most notable face here, though...

Princess Minerva is a badass with a dragon and the best axe in the entire game, and she hates us right now. It is in our best interests to stay FAR AWAY from the Dracoknight.

She’s also brought her underlings. Est’s packing a Ridersbane, so despite her fragility, she’ll hit our cavaliers hard.

Palla’s the strongest of the Pegasus Knights.

oh gently caress it’s the queen of the skies

Clearly we’ll have to prepare.

Fun fact, Caps take up extra space in this game. So “BARST OWNS” didn’t fit. “BARST Owns” did!

Next time we run the Gauntlet and I probably regret my choices.

(As a sidenote, this is now the official "Jagen For Fire Emblem Warriors" Thread, please support your local Jagens.)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Ah, the Pegaus Trio. There are so many LPs where Catria turns out to be a murder machine, I'm looking forward to seeing her in action here.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Whenever I see a Pegasus Knight I'm sad because it's not Farina, Queen of the Sky

You don't have to pay Catria to get results. She is a freelance rear end kicker.

vilkacis posted:

I want literally Jeigan Warriors with a cast of characters all over 40.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm curious how they're going to stay true to the games and have the Jagens not really measure up compared to regular units.

I would unironically be completely okay with Jeigan Warriors + Chrom with a false mustache to conform with the trailer. They'll probably go mostly Awakening/Fates, although I'd like to see more varied stuff.

I'd imagine that if any Jagen-esque characters got in the game, they probably wouldn't acknowledge their stats, although it would be kinda funny to see Jagen being totally busted for the first five minutes of a battle and then suddenly just losing a bunch of damage because he gets too tired and has no growth rates.

MythosDragon posted:

Sprites with emotions om FE15 please.

They did it in 13 and 14, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see them roll it out again.

Last Celebration posted:

They gently caress off after a few turns on every difficulty, I think.

Yep, or you can "kill" Minerva and they'll all leave.

chiasaur11 posted:

Lessee... Niime, Flavia, and... maybe Tiki?

Isadora maybe. It's hard to tell how old people are supposed to be in Blazing Sword. Joshua's mom from Sacred Stones? But she wasn't playable until postgame...we really need more old ladies in this series.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 7: Death from Above, Also Below (Battle)

We’re finally taking on the Lefcandith Gauntlet this time, and I’d say it’s easily the hardest chapter so far. Let’s get a slow start with some exposition, though.

“I don’t even want to look at your tactics.”

: Let me attack the rebels head-on, and keep my pride as a knight of Macedon.

: Ah, you mean the same pride that cost us all those soldiers back in Aurelis? I think not, Princess. If we’re to regroup, we need to buy time. My tactics are necessary. The emperor himself has named me commander of this post. Either obey, or accept the consequences.

Oh man, I don’t know how we’re supposed to know if he’s a bad guy-

: Your little sister Maria is still under our ward, is she not? What a shame it would be, if we decided we could no longer care for her…

Oh, there we go.

: Enough! …I will obey. But the Altean knights are smarter than you give them credit for. They will prevail here, and you will regret having acting so rashly, General.

It’s one of the few subplots Shadow Dragon doesn’t drop like a hot potato.

Just immediately opening up this door with Julian. No sense waiting around...except the potential that both of those archers shoot and kill him! The one on the right has a longbow, remember?

Thankfully Cord can double one down. I thought I’d have to heal him up, but he just dodged the shot.

I really wish he’d start getting more Magic, but I can’t complain about Speed.

Marth, of course, also has to head down that way, so he can reach that village and get whatever’s inside.

Everyone else just charges south.

These archers are having an awful day. Maybe they should start using complete arrows.

Oh, uh, also Minerva’s bearing down on us. All the flying units will charge you off the bat, and without the worry of terrain, they can zip across this map extremely quickly.

False alarm, pull back!

:tif:

So this looks like a really bad situation. It...isn’t. Minerva and her allies will retreat as soon as the enemy phase starts, because:

: Fie, enough! I’ve no stomach for these cat-and-mouse tactics. Come, Whitewings, we fly! Hyah!

Uh, that, I guess.

Or you can just kill her. She won’t actually die here, nor will her subordinates. Easier said than done, but she is weak to Bows…

Wolf and Draug set her up…

And Navarre knocks her down. Check out that damage on Minerva, by the way. Hauteclere ain’t nothin’ to gently caress with. She’ll annihilate squishy units, given the chance.

Which Pegasus Knight speaks here depends on which are still on the battlefield. If you take out Palla, Catria gets a line, and if Palla and Catria go down, Est does.

: The commander left? Then I’ve no reason to stay.

: Sorry, General. My place is with the commander.

Still not a huge fan of Navarre as a front line unit. Might reclass him to Archer and see how he does.

Although Minerva and the Whitewings are gone, we’ve still got these three fliers to worry about (the thief is unimportant), and if they collapse on someone, they could kill a squishy unit. The Dracoknight’s the highest hitter, so we’ll try and focus him down.

That’ll do. Keep in mind that Dracoknights are very dangerous because fliers rule in the DS games, so bow users are a good idea, as being able to one round kill a Dracoknight is a highly valuable ability.

Oh, also the thief’s dead.

You’d have to make an effort to let that guy through all the way to the village.

The Pegasus Knights attacked for negligible damage, leaving them easy pickings for the rest of the team.

Maybe NOW I can get to the village…

Once I reach the part of the map that opens up into the southern half, I immediately want to step on those forts!

Caeda’s great for this one, as it’s out of the way and surrounded by mountains, which she doesn’t care about.

The reason I did that is reinforcements. I couldn’t confirm online exactly what triggers these guys, but I think it’s Turn 4 starting. A Cavalier will pop out from each of the four forts down here at the beginning of Enemy Phase.

This is, in my opinion, the most drastic change between Normal and Hard mode. On Hard, they get to take their turns, basically giving them an ambush on you.

One of them threw a Javelin at Hardin, which dents him pretty bad. I don’t want to go all out and push here, though I probably could, but it would be pretty risky for say, Wendell or Lena. So for the next several turns, I’m playing defense down here. This is the meat of the map.

Longbow guy has an unfortunate encounter with the unforgettable Barst.

I also swapped Hardin out for Wolf, since he can hold the fort better. Hardin would probably do fine with a vulnerary and perhaps the Physic Stave on Lena, but I’d rather not take chances here.

At the start of the next turn, it happens again. This would be four cavaliers, again, if we didn’t plug those two forts.

Meanwhile...Marth.

The Cavaliers ignore Wolf, preferring to go for the easier prey. That’s something the enemy AI likes to do in this game, even though Wolf is holding a bow and can’t retaliate. They seem to prioritize damage.

I just wanted to take a moment to acknowledge that this poor mercenary is terrible compared to his ally. He does less than half the damage to Marth. It’s like the little brother you put in your kickball match so he doesn’t feel bad. Then he gets hit in the face with the ball.

i’m not projecting.

Thankfully, we can poke away at the Iron Lance cavaliers pretty safely from back here with ranged units, so Draug is doing work.

Also leveling up, he’s doing that too.

Lena and Wendell are gonna get a workout on this map with their Staves. I probably should have given Lena that Heal back. See if you can spot the really dumb inventory mistake in this update where I was praying for a ranged healing stave!

These two spaces where Abel and Ogma are are the only way to pass into the...pass, so beefy units are good to block them. For the Javelin wielders, sticking a ranged unit behind or adjacent to them, like Draug here, can help coax them into hurting themselves.

3 damage. Here’s the metaphorical kickball kid again.

Watch out for the Javelin damage, though, these guys don’t pull punches.

Case in point, even Ogma’s getting beaten down pretty bad. Wolf continues to be totally ignored.

However, the reinforcements seem to have stopped for now, so I can get a little more offensive.

Still...inching forward...because…

AHA! Can’t trick me (a second time)!

Always keep in mind that just because reinforcements pause doesn’t mean they’ve stopped coming. To be honest, I looked around online a lot to try and find out exactly what the conditions are for these waves spawning, but I got a ton of different, conflicting answers. I think they start on Turn 4, regardless, and then more start coming when you pass the invisible line between Hardin and Ogma in this shot.

Lena’s lack of Magic is also a little worrying. I’m only going to get so many stat boosters, you guys.

Finally, at least, Marth has reached his destination.

Ban-Ban!

: She must be found, boy! Tiki is the last of the Naga, the divine-dragon clan. Without her powers, we cannot challenge the Manaketes who serve Medeus… Me? I haven’t the power. I am a fire dragon, yes… But in the name alone, in name alone. I lost my firestone in Pyrathi. Without it, I cannot do battle. …You will be traveling much, yes? I wish to go with you. Perhaps together we can find Tiki.

Bantu has joined our team now. And yes, he’s a dragon. Kinda. Manaketes, they’ll get explained soon. I know he looks awful now, but as he hinted, he needs his Dragonstone to show off his true potential, which...I think I left in someone else’s inventory :v:

But rest assured, once he gets it...he’s still extremely terrible. I love him, though, he’s a friendly grandpa who turns into a kickass dragon.

However, we’ve still got this to worry about.

At least Abel gets a pretty great level from taking so much abuse here.

Also, yeah, Marth now has to walk all the way back. This will be a long map if you want to get Bantu. And you do, for something later.

There’s also the whole matter of these guys not letting up. I’m basically just rotating people back and forth between Lena/Wendell and the front lines at this point.

This was Abel. Dude’s doing great this map.

Also, Barst is back. :get in:

...He can do better.

No, don’t start following his example! In this very particular case, I mean.

Oh, also the Mend broke. And I pulled Wolf back because at this point I was making lunch. This chapter isn’t exactly engrossing.

That means a bonus Cav, hooray!

However, that means an open fort, and Caeda has been waiting.

Never make Caeda wait.

Cain’s not quite the constant prescence Abel is here, but he’s still doing well. I might reclass one of them so we don’t have three separate Cavaliers. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but more variety should make this more...watchable.

Take this crit as my apology that you had to read this chapter.

And that is, actually, the end of the Reinforcements. Turn 14 was their last spawn. I don’t know if that’s constant for everyone, just...let’s get this map done with.

Pictured: Terror that someone else shows up as soon as I hit that End Turn button.

Now pictured: Relief, and an urge to filet these guys because I’m far too tense now.

Cord...please, Magic?

And so, it’s down to us, Harmein, and...Harmein’s friend the Curate. I’ll take care of that offscreen.

It’s down to us and Harmein.

Oh, also, gently caress this Fort. This fort sits at the top of the map and makes you nervous the whole drat time, because every other one in the chapter vomits Cavaliers. This does NOTHING and I’m convinced it’s just to freak you out. :argh:

Really not much to do now but let Cord do his thing.

If you didn’t defeat Minerva, and she left on her own instead...his dialogue actually changes.

: Curse Minerva and her pride! Grr, no matter. If I am to die here, then I won’t be dying alone!

There’s little touches of effort like this in Shadow Dragon that I really do like.

Oh, here’s a Wendell level. I love how speedy this old man is.

But hey, Marth should get the final hit in on this boss. For Style Points.

Oh no. He whiffed.

Oh gently caress. :stonk:

As usual, Caeda saves the day.

: This is pretty much how their marriage works nowadays.

: I’m standing right outside. :smith:

Bless you, Caeda, for being a shitwrecker.

Oh, yeah, Malledus exists.

: Manaketes? You mean the dragonkin?

: Yes, sire. I was not sure how much knowledge you had of the Manaketes. The Manaketes inhabited our continent long before the dawn of humanity. However, ordinarily their draconic disposition stayed suppressed; their power sealed within special stones. Thus rather than terrorizing humankind, they chose to live simple, peaceful lives in the quieter reaches of the world.

He’s an Earth Dragon!

: and created what would be a great empire there. His forces invaded the human realm, and in the blink of an eye, he had subjected all of the land.

: In his hand was a shining blade of light- Falchion- which he plunged into Medeus- and the tyrant was no more. Anri went on to found Altea- and the rest, I believe, you know.

So, Medeus is back now, somehow, (I don’t remember if they explain why, but I assume it has something to do with another villain we’ll meet later), and he pretty much just did the exact same thing, what with the invasions and the conquerings.

: Yes, Malledus… Is that what this was about? I do know my own kingdom’s history. And I know what I must do, now that Medeus has revived and restored Dolhr to its former might.

: You are Anri’s last male descendant, the only one who can wield Falchion. You must find the blade that was taken, and put an end to Dolhr and its misguided Manakete rulers.

Also Falchion runs a check on your bloodline and your gender to see if you can use it. Rude rear end legendary sword.

: I will finish what my father started. I will avenge him, and bring light back into our world.

Next time we might go to Port Warren.

Bonus Content

The Watcher of the Dragon Princess, Bantu

This is about the coolest depiction Bantu will ever get, though I must admit I’d prefer his old man form.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 18, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

MightyPretenders posted:

In the more egalitarian future of 201X, someone finally realizes that no, the Falchion does not have a male-only clause. Why would it? It's a dragon's discarded tooth. Its two powers are being able to kill other dragons, and being organic enough to heal back over any chips or cracks.

Jury is still out over whether it's really tied to a particular family or not, seeing as how Anri never had children, and so has no descendants. Marth is descended from Anri's cousin.

I mean, (Awakening Spoiler) Lucina uses it fine, unless there was time travel shenanigan fuckery involved there, I honestly don't remember. I think the Anri thing actually doesn't get mentioned in the remakes, by the way, so I'm not sure if that's even canon now.

I think they just don't want Caeda using it, because she would just become an unstoppable death goddess. Turns out it's just keyed to blue hair.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

If that's the case, then why can't Barst or Catria wield Falchion? They both have blue hair.

If Barst or Catria got a god weapon there would not be an Archanea left to use it on.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Glaive17 posted:

No, see, what we are all missing here is that the Falchion was just in Anri's head the whole time, he made it up! :tinfoil:

That...that is a bizarre rear end typo. I copy/pasted that bit from the SerenesForest script for this game. There was one of those earlier I actually caught, where Harmein says they have Minerva's sister "under their word" instead of "under their ward".

I'll fix it, good catch.

On an unrelated note, if people reading this thread enjoy this series, Nintendo's doing a Fire Emblem themed Nintendo Direct at 5 PM EST today. So if you're excited to hear about Fire Emblem Warriors, maybe, or the new mobile game, maybe, or whatever they decide to talk about in their mystery announcement, that's probably worth checking out.

I'll probably be hollering into the void about it on Twitter.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jan 18, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Direct is over. Do your civic duty :911:

(Remake of Fire Emblem 2 coming out for 3DS in May, new unnamed main series game for the Switch, Warriors...exists, and it's coming out for New 3DS and Switch this fall, and Fire Emblem: Heroes is a mobile game coming out. There's a vote going on for characters to be included.)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

What? Wrys is the protagonist of the next FE game? Sign me up.

He's a voting option for characters to receive a "Special Version" in the mobile game coming out. They really plumbed the bottom of the barrel for that, pretty much every remotely memorable character in the series is a voting choice. Malledus? Yep. That guy from Awakening who says "MY MUSTACHE BLOWS IN THE WIND"? Yep. Child Zephiel from FE7? Somehow.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

I was kind of "eh, whatever, guess that's cool" when I heard that they're remaking FE2, but then I realized...

Catria's in FE2.

CATRIA RIDES AGAIN.

I hadn't even thought about that, my god. :stonk:

Also excited to finally see """"Zeke"""" and Green Nyna.

As fair warning to everyone, next update might be delayed because I've got a busy week. Also it's one of the DLC maps in FE12 and I am very bad at it and keep loving up.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Bonus Chapter # 1: By The Sword

: I do have a question, Sir Jagen.

: Yes?

: ...What’s Navarre’s problem? He seems…

: Like an rear end in a top hat?

: Pretty much.

: Hmm...well, I do have another story that might help explain Nabarl’s...disposition. It was a long time ago...but not as long ago as we were just talking about. Not as recent as your escapades. It was a middling time ago...

I’ve missed this.

So this is New Mystery of the Emblem (or Heroes of Light and Shadow). It is NOT Shadow Dragon. This is the sequel that was only released in Japan. However, I’m playing the English patched version, and today we’ll be taking a look at one of the three DLC maps released for the game. The English translation was done by a group called "Heroes of Shadow", and they did a fantastic job, this game reads great. But I spent an entire thread gushing about this game already, so I'll try and curb it here.

These maps (You can see them on the left) were free to download, and helped fill in some gaps in the story between Shadow Dragon and New Mystery. I didn’t do them in my New Mystery LP, because I was kind of worn out. So we’ll be seeing them here, as they add some much needed flavor to the Archanea setting.

Sadly, this content is no longer available, due to the Nintendo WiFi Network being removed for the DS, so you’ll need a save file with it already downloaded to play it.

Today we’re tackling “By the Sword”. This kicked my rear end many, many times, by the way.

: and all of Talys cheered for them. However, as if seizing this opportunity... the nearby clans suddenly revolted against Talys.

I don’t know what the “clans” are, but it’s probably safe to bet that given that this is Talys, they’re pirates.

: Princess Caeda, who had only brought a few bodyguards into town, was dragged into battle, her whereabouts unknown... Ogma, captain of Talys's hired swords, took his subordinates with him and set out immediately to rescue Caeda.

: We'll just have to stomach the pain. If we can hold them until Captain Ogma comes, everything'll be dandy.

: Yeah, but where is Captain? Wasn't he supposed to be here already?

: I ain’t got a clue! I don’t think there’s anyone strong enough to stop the captain, except maybe…

The camera pans on Cord’s ellipsis. He’s a man of many talents.

: …

: Your impression is spot on, Sir Jagen.

: So you're back to your old self, working for cutthroats... I'm disappointed. I thought you had changed after working under Prince Marth, but it seems I expected too much from you. Swinging your sword without purpose... You're worse than an animal.

In case you wondered, yes, all of Navarre’s dialogue in this map sounds like this.

: Say that again?

: I haven't crossed swords with you since the previous war. Our score... isn't settled yet.

: Our score? And for that reason alone… You’re happy to assist these monsters? Come on, give me a break!
: ...

: What’s so funny?

: Stop pretending you're a decent human being. Stop denying yourself... You're just like me... And that won't ever change.

: ... Sorry, but... I'm different from you. I fight for the princess: that's my purpose.

: ...Enough talk. Draw your sword. If you’re different from me… Then you shall die here.

Let’s get things started. Unfortunately, there’s no prep screen, so I’ll have to go with the old standby tactic of just panning around the map to show you what’s going on. We have Ogma in the northwest corner, and he’s pretty powerful, though the enemies here can still easily overwhelm him. There are some staggeringly high hitters in this stage.

To the southeast, already surrounded, Bord and Cord. Bord’s main strength is, as in Shadow Dragon, his instant access to the Hammer.

Cord honestly just kinda sucks in this map. It’s a bit of a chore to keep him alive, but note the Vulnerary. You’ll need that.

The southwest has a Dark Mage, a Mercenary, and this myrmidon, Maris. She’s pretty much better than Ogma in every way. Too bad she’s a Red Unit.

The southeast corner is also full of enemies, the only really notable one being Dice here. That Devil Axe can easily kill you. Or...or him. He’s Maris’ dad, by the way. These two characters don’t appear in Shadow Dragon, but they’re in New Mystery.

The northeast of course houses Navarre, who will try to rush down Ogma immediately. Also some lackeys.

Let’s see if we can’t outlast them. I apologize in advance, by the way, if the screencaps are kinda frantic in this update. This map took me a lot of attempts, a lot of deleting screens, etc.

First off, Ogma needs to RUN. We don’t want to kill Nabarl, as you could probably guess. I’m also unequipping his weapon, because he’s now in Maris’ range, and I don’t want to hurt her either. Thankfully, being Ogma, he can take a hit.

Meanwhile, Bord attacks the Barbarian.

He missed. This means I have to reset the map, as I can’t kill that Barbarian with just Cord.

Yeah, this one is really a huge pain to do and keep everyone alive, because there’s sort of a very specific strategy they want you to follow, and even if you do, RNG can gently caress you over. Of course, it can also rescue you, but the sheer amount of luck involved in a map you can’t adjust or prepare your team for really sorta turned me off to this stage.

So, one reset later, he hits and I finish the Barb off. End of turn.

The other HP missing from Ogma is because the Dark Mage zapped him. He’s hidden below the HP bar. I, uh, I did warn you about this.

Anyway, even though she’s stabbed him once, Ogma’s still up for a chat with Maris here!

: What?

: That scar on your face… You’re the mercenary Ogma!

: Do you know me?

: That ain't all either... You saved me and Pops before, don't you remember? Y'know, we were collapsed and dying on the road, until you gave us food... That brat was me.

Ogma’s a really good guy. There’s another character in New Mystery who personally credits him for saving his life.

: ...Did I do that? So, what are you going to do? Duel with me?

: Nah, I give in. Count me on your side. I wanna repay the favor. I'll go tell my Pops too, so I'm counting on ya.

So, now we have Maris, and by Maris, the means to recruit Dice on the other side of the map. That’s easier said than done.

Also Ogma has to immediately chug a Vulnerary, or he’ll die to Navarre’s next attack. Thankfully, talking to a character counts as sort of a free action, though you can’t move afterwards.

Maris has a rad eyepatch and purple hair.

What I’m saying is that she’s great.

Cord takes out the Thief who rushed him last turn. The only other enemy poised to attack this turn is the Knight.

Also, a surprisingly good levelup.

I’m doing a DOUBLE TACTICAL MOVE with Bord here. I’ve moved him within range of the Knight and given him the Hammer so he can one shot him...but I also traded over Cord’s vulnerary and took a drink. This is the high level play you can expect for roughly one to two more turns.

It works pretty well!

Unfortunately, we’ve still got this joker to deal with.

: You’ve grown weak… Is it because the war ended…? Or is it because of that woman? If I killed her… Would you go back to being yourself?

YES IT’S FINALLY HERE

“Dastard” is my favorite Fire Emblem word, holy poo poo. I know it’s a real word, but I always associate it with being a weirdly out of place half-curse in a lot of the later games in this series.

: Fight me. Otherwise… die.

He does 10 damage and moves on.

This poor Mercenary must be the even younger brother of lovely little brother Mercenary from Chapter 7. Maris doubles him and clears the path for Ogma. Something special happens at the start of the player phase, though.

Thanks, blinking sprite, for relieving me of having to make jokes again.

: Is that...Ogma? Ogma came to save me! I have to go to him!

: Oh, please wait! Princess!

But Norne and Caeda are going to have to wait, Ogma’s gotta keep running and drinking Vulneraries so he doesn’t get killed by the encroaching sword idiot.

Norne can’t really do anything this turn, so I pass her Vulnerary onto Cord. This is pretty important in this map, you have no healing aside from them, unless you count the forts.

So, I’ll try to lure out one of the barbarians on the eastern side, while Caeda moves towards Ogma. You can probably guess why.

It might seem a little reckless to pull this guy over, but all of these enemies will start encroaching on you soon, and the thinner they are, the better.

And so, Nabavab just continues slapping Ogma with his sword.

Oh, and Bord missed. :argh:

Fun fact, on one run I got here and Bord, Cord, and Norne all missed. Reset.

Thankfully that didn’t happen again. Begone, horrible flashbacks.

So, now that we’ve stalled until Caeda got here, we can finally talk to Nabarvol.

: ... You again? Begone from my sight.

: No! I won't let you kill Ogma! No matter how you might try to stop me!

: ...Then stop me with your blade.

: No! Navarre... I won't kill you, either... I don't want to see you die. Both you and Ogma... are my comrades! And I won't allow my comrades to die! If you must fight Ogma... Then turn your blade on me first!

This is pretty much Caeda’s only tactic.

: ……

: Navarre…?

: ...Nay. My blade isn't rotten enough to inflict harm upon a woman. Do as you wish.

: Oh, thank you…Navarre!

: Crazy woman… It seems neither he nor I can best you...

Ogma’s going to drink a Vulnerary and camp out on this fort for something that’s coming in soon. We’re approaching the hard part of this map.

At the start of Turn 5, this Berserker spawns in, as well as a Knight up north near Navarre’s starting point. And every enemy starts to rush you.

Since I don’t think we’ve met Berserkers yet in the main LP, I should explain them. They’re promoted Pirates. That’s...that’s about it.

Thankfully, the reinforcements don’t get to move on their first turns, and the others kindly wait for them, so I can set up a little.

I moved Bord with a Hammer up to the bridge to intercept that Knight.

Everyone else sorta hovers out of range, except Norne, who can counterattack the Hand Axe that’s coming her way. Ogma on the fort can withstand the Berserker, but he’s seriously bad news, with an attack of 25. He will one round kill Cord or Bord if they even get near him.

The knights also have Steel Lances, and thus hit pretty drat hard. Caeda’s Wing Spear is an alternate way to down them, but her low durability means you really can’t rely too much on it.

(she missed)

Thankfully, so did the Berserker! Still, now he’s too close to our other units, and needs to go down, fast.

Oh, also more reinforcements. Including a second, identical Berserker from the east. Don’t forget, they can walk on water!

Bord immediately retreats to heal up, because the Knight chunked him hard. Again, the UI makes it kinda hard to see, but he’s behind the word “Hit”, under Maris.

Another whiff from the Berserker. I think this is the moment some sort of angel of good fortune, but only while playing video games for the internet, decided to bless me with an extremely specific boon.

There was soon nothing left of this guy. Him having 3 HP helps with that.

Maris is particularly useful here since she can one round kill the Barbarians and Dark Mages, and she’s got a great dodge rate.

Norne drinks a Vulnerary, and I really just have to weather this storm for now.

In this exciting combat encounter, neither combatant hits eachother.

Also Dice just threw a Hand Axe at his own daughter. What the gently caress, dad?

Holy poo poo, Cord, please.

This might look close. That’s because it shouldn’t have worked. Both the Hunter and Barbarian to the north missed, and that’s why Cord’s still alive. I’m unashamed of this because it was like Take 8 of this map.

And now I have to clean out this disgusting blob of Red Units. Ogma gets the ball rolling well.

Thankfully, one of these opponents is a bit easier to deal with than the others. It’s the guy in the Viking Helmet, yes.

: So, that’s about the gist of it, Pops.

They keep calling him “The mercenary Ogma”. Is there another Ogma who does something much less interesting in this universe?

: Yeah, though we’ll be working for free again. Man, I need to do something to get gold for tomorrow’s food…

: Wahaha! Is that what you’re worried about? If it’s gold ya need, I’ll go gamble and you’ll have it in an instant!

: ...No, THAT’S what I’m worried about.

I’ve missed Viking Gamble Dad. This is the last we’ll see of him, though.

Also, Maris takes out a neighboring goon and gets a nice level. Talking next to enemies can pay off.

Time for Cord to run and hide for the rest of the map.

So, I’m not going to be able to take out all of those enemies, and I don’t want to risk a Devil Axe, so Dice equips a Hand Axe and blocks the bridge.

Bord gets brave for a bit and removes one source of damage, though.

I really wish I was getting these levels in the actual game.

Nababble manages to take this Dark Mage down in a single round, with his signature commentary.

Oh, Dice is also going to eat some damage here from both the Knight and the Berserker, but his massive (compared to everyone else) health pool makes him our best shot at surviving.

I’m cutting it a little close again here. This map!

i am extremely good at fire emblem.

Thankfully, this Berserker has unknowingly placed himself in a really good spot for me.

Here’s some sweet revenge for Bord.

And a pretty sweet level! He’s still worse than Maris, though she does have six levels on him.

And now...a gamble. This, I think, is about the only way to get rid of this guy ASAP. Cross your fingers, no save points on this one.

Majestic. :allears:

Now Ogma blocks the bridge, so Dice is safe, even with his tiny HP remaining.

Maris also cleans up the last Hunter.

And then there were two!

One.

Done.

This beat the hell out of me. But hey, it’s done! I’ll take it.

: I see.

: The swordsman Navarre apparently vanished after the battle.

: ...I see. Good job. Our mission is complete. Let’s escort the princess back to Talys.

If Navarre is dead, the soldier says they couldn’t find his body.

And now...some thoughtful interludes.

Someone should take away my access to Paint.net.

: Princess…? Of course. You needn’t worry about my welfare.

: I’m so glad. You looked so intimidating…

: I did?

: Yes. Just like… the first time we met. You were a frightening gladiator… But your eyes were really sad.

: ...Princess. Please let me thank you.

: Thank...me…?

: A long time ago... Before you saved me... I had nothing. I had no purpose or meaning in life, so all I could do was continue to fight, as a gladiator... I hated everything in this world, and had forsaken everything...

: Ogma…

: But, I didn't die. I had to keep fighting... In other words... I fought so I could continue to fight.

: We aren't humans who can just bathe under the sun's light. We're monsters bred for fighting…

: ...Ogma…

“Shut up.”

: However... you saved me, Princess. I received not only my life, but also something far more important from you. And even after you leave for Altea and wed Prince Marth... That won't ever change. So, please let me thank you, Princess...

: Ogma... I must thank you too, Ogma. You've always stood by my side... Even in the previous war. You protected Marth for my sake... Even after I go to Altea... You will... always... always be my…

: Princess… Please don’t cry. Tears don’t suit you. From now on, you’re going to live happily by Marth’s side…

: Ogma… ...Thank you, Ogma...

: That story didn’t explain anything about-

: Still dying, let’s move on.

Next time we go back to the actual game I’m supposed to be LPing.

Bonus Content

Wielder of the Hard Sword, Ogma

And

Wielder of the Certain Kill Sword, Navarre

Keep in mind the titles are unofficial, direct translations. So, uh, I think the second one is supposed to be "Killing Edge". Ogma's got a Levin Sword in that picture, by the way. That's a bad idea for Ogma.

Edit: I'm wrong! Thankfully, someone who can actually read Japanese, Shingouryu gave the translation:

"The first two Kanji are indeed sure kill, followed by sword, which in this context should be "hissatsuken" This is followed by user, which would be pronounced "tsukaite""

And for Ogma:

"Ogma was a bit more difficult, as I didn't recognize the first kanji.

I'm a little confused by the translation. While 剛 can indeed mean "hard," my assumption is the intended meaning is "strong" or "manly.""

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 25, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

: DEATH COMES.

*Warp Staff*

: REPOSITIONING.

(This joke brought to you by my friend who doesn't read this thread, but plays a lot of Reaper.)

vilkacis posted:

So on a scale from 0 to Spock/Kirk, how popular are those two in terms of fanworks...?

I don't think Shadow Dragon gets fanworks. But if it did, I'd guess probably a 7-8. I think the only thing along those lines is that joke .gif you made last time with-

Camel Pimp posted:

Jagen's been reading too many of Steve's yaois.

Yeah, that. :v:

Blaze Dragon posted:

It isn't. The Killing Edge in Japanese is キルソード, literally Kill Sword as English words. I can't quite read Japanese, but I can see that the Kill Sword kana is most definitely not there, and I'm guessing its says hissatsu ken or something to that extent instead.

That's interesting. I know zero Japanese, so if anyone does and can figure that out, I'll edit it in. That goes for all the Cipher stuff, of course.

rannum posted:

just take it in.

Oh, I fully plan on showing or reshowing the TMS forms of these characters when we get to the art update, because holy poo poo.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Shingouryu posted:

The first two Kanji are indeed sure kill, followed by sword, which in this context should be "hissatsuken"
http://jisho.org/search/hissatsu
http://jisho.org/search/tsurugi

This is followed by user, which would be pronounced "tsukaite"
http://jisho.org/search/tsukaite

The rest is his name in Kana

That makes sense, thanks. I'll edit this and the Ogma one into the last post, appreciate the help.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I wouldn't take the novel ages totally as fact, since they aren't canon, but roughly everyone in FE7 is apparently like 17 for some reason despite most of them looking like adults. They treat Nino like a child but she's like 3 years younger than Eliwood, apparently. So they could be pretty accurate.

(Also, nobody's done it yet, but I just want to put it out there because there's age discussion, please don't be creepy about FE characters here. The word "waifu" is prohibited unless it pertains to Jagen, thank you.)

Also, a new trailer for the mobile Fire Emblem game just dropped, confirming two characters from Shadow Dragon...that we haven't met yet. :smith: So, uh, I'll address that when we get to them.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 8: Render Unto Caesar (Prep)

It’s time to continue the march into Archanea! The country, not the continent, because we’re already…

I hate that.

Anyway, it’s Port Warren. Apparently in the European versions this chapter is called “Coastal Skirmish”, so this screen doesn’t say “Port Warren: Port Warren”.

: they paid Dolhr dearly in taxes to preserve their autonomy. Naturally, then, theirs was a warm welcome when the Archanean League arrived.

I’m not sure what the dragons really need money for. Like, Medeus just really wants to gently caress over humanity for reasons not explained in this game. He doesn’t have one of those dragon hoards.

: Marth’s soldiers were glad to rest there, nestled between mountain and sea, but their joy was spoiled by news that the enemy was fast approaching- as harsh an awakening as a rock beneath the pillow.

: Which reminds me, Sir Jagen, should you really be sleeping on that shield?

: I lived hardcore. I die hardcore.

So, for this chapter, I’m taking the usual team, but I had to have Hardin sit out. I’m...skeptical about Navarre, but the Armorslayer is good on this map. I do have a replacement in mind, though. I might swap the Armorslayer to someone else and sub in an extra healer, but we’ll see when I actually get around to playing this map :v:.

This map is a little weird. I think it’s the only one set up this way in the game.

To get to the keep that ends the chapter, we’ll have to fight through hordes of rather low level enemies. Those forts behind them will pump out replacements as well, so this is a map that will test your ability to control space and advance, especially with this half being all mounted foes.

The right side, instead, houses Knights and Archers. This is a pretty extreme risk/reward map for Caeda, since her Wing Spear will destroy, but an errant arrow could take her down fast.

Oh, we’ve also got this guy. We’ll have to talk to him with Caeda, too, so she’s got even more utility.

The boss is...pathetic, honestly. He’s weaker than the last two, and lack of a ranged weapon really makes Kannival more of a formality than a challenge.

One nice feature of Port Warren is that this whole southeastern part (presumably the actual Port) is full of shops carrying some interesting items, and our second Arena!

Abel’s lance ability pays off here, he can wield the Ridersbane to cut through cavalry. I went ahead and outfit most of my units with replacement/better weapons, because I tend to forget.

I also used the Seraph Robe we collected in Chapter 6 to bump Caeda’s HP to 24. This should help her be a little less likely to melt. Draug was also a strong contender for this, but he doesn’t have to get in melee range.

So, I should explain Bantu. Bantu is a Manakete, who are special units that use Dragonstones. The Firestone has a ridiculously good Might value of 15. It also enhances the user’s stats in battle, providing 8 Strength, 4 Skill, 4 Speed, 9 Defense, and 4 Resistance. With all that, Bantu’s stats are, effectively:
10 Strength
0 Magic
7 Skill
8 Speed
1 Luck
12 Defense
5 Resistance

He’s...still not good enough to justify having to use the Stone, which only has 30 uses...ever. Then Bantu’s useless. But hey, that’s not all, he has horrendous movement and awful growths! I love Bantu as a character, but he’s one of the worst units in the game.

Also, turns out I was wrong, the Small Bullion is worth 10k, not 1k in this game. I could have sworn it was different, but...I’ll take it. I want to save some cash for this map, but I can do a quick forge with the boost from this…

Draug’s nearly up to D Bows, so this should come in handy sooner rather than later.

His name is Guard backwards.

Next time we go shopping.

Bonus Content

So, uh, this one features a character we won’t meet until the sequel, Feena the Dancer. But it’s also got Navarre in it, and since we’re all making fun of Navarre right now…

Navhairre

: Hmm... How should it be? Tied up in the back...? Or maybe braided…

: ...What are you talking about?

: I was thinking about what your new hairstyle should be, Navarre.

: I didn’t ask for one.

: Navarre, your hair’s so pretty. It’d be a shame to leave it like that. Leave it to me! I’ve got tons of cute hairdos in mind! I have to repay you for saving my life, don’t forget!

He betrayed his bandit friends because a girl talked to him. Again. :allears:

: And you think you can return a favor this way…?

: I've got it! Twintails! It's a hairstyle in vogue in Warren. I'm sure it'll suit you! Navarre, come here!

See, Warren, I’m totally justified picking this one.

: Oi…

: Squeal! Sooo cute!

: Bah…!

: Why did you undo it? It suited you…

: ...You're irritating me! Don't talk to me again!

As a great tragedy of these games not being very popular, I regret to inform you all that Navarre with pigtails fan art does not exist. Sometimes life is so cruel.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 27, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Sjs00 posted:

Looks like another exp-fest for our goddess of the skies; did you mean to say 24 hp instead of 17 though?

Whoops, I totally did. I even went back and changed that on the proofread and hosed it up. Good catch, thanks.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Camel Pimp posted:

Yes it does!

(Not mine, from here.)

Look, my tablet's wonky whether or not it wants to work and I don't want to gently caress with it right now.

Man, I searched "Navarre pigtails" and all I got was a catheter company, which, while funny in its own right, did not fulfill my needs. Thank you for your help yet again, Camel Pimp.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Okay, so clearly I need to do more detailed hunts for these things than just typing "navarre pigtails" into GIS and trying my luck. That one's on me.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 8: Render Unto Caesar (Battle)

So, last time we reached Port Warren, and it was immediately attacked. Let’s try and fix that.

Two new guys immediately. Honestly considered ending the previous update here because of that, but I am a slave to my own dumb regulations for splitting them.

: Grust has gathered its knights by the fortresses to the north. It’s dangerous for you to stay here. Thankfully, the eastern castle has been left almost entirely unguarded; that’s the place to strike. Please be careful, sire. We’ll be fighting with you all the way.

Well, they won’t, but that’s just my choice. Also, yeah, Radd doesn’t get a single line. Shadow Dragon’s bad about that.

Caesar shows up looking like a slightly worse Ogma. He’s very similar, but he beats him out by a decent chunk in Speed (and Magic, but who cares), suffering a few minor dips elsewhere, coupled with his later joining time.

I think he’s not as good as Ogma, but he’s a pretty solid unit if you raise him up. At least, it looks that way. I’ve never done it, so...I’d like to try doing it on this run.

Radd is hurt pretty hard coming at Level 1. Comparing him to Navarre, he’ll hit harder if trained up, but he’s not quite as quick or accurate. He’s also, I think, significantly harder to get caught up, and I’m not huge on Myrmidons anyway, so I’m not planning on much with Radd. He’s not too bad, though.

Pretty much everyone aside from our two newbies and Wendell run straight north. No sense in making the bad guys wait.

I plan on getting Caesar to an acceptable level in this chapter which just...translates to a shitton of Arena leveling. This is risky, do not try at home, unless you like saving and restarting. Then yeah, go ahead.

Also, shopping! That’s what Radd’s for. I’m just going to these stores in a counterclockwise order, starting from the bottom right. This has nothing I’m really interested in, we’re well stocked on all this stuff.

Two Knights, two Archers, and some of the Cavaliers will charge you immediately. All the Horsemen stay put, though.

So, immediate threat to deal with here is these four cavaliers. The Steel Swords mean they hit decently hard, at least compared to most of the enemies in this chapter.

This is what Wendell’s here for, by the way. Healing up Caesar between Arena bouts.

The second shop has what really matters...a second Wing Spear! You can only buy one of them, but it’s a great refill for Caeda’s cavalier/Knight slaughter factory.

I just put our bulkier units along the perimeter of the Cavalier charge here, eliminating this particularly ballsy one.

Huh. Barst might actually get MVP of this game. He’s doubling the Cavs!

Marth, unfortunately, cannot, but 16 damage out of their 22 HP is nothing to ignore.

Especially when we have an accurate chip damage dealer conveniently right there. This was mostly for some more bow EXP, though, as Draug is hurting for a Steel Bow right about now.

Also...Ridersbane? Good poo poo.

Thanks to all that, we’re already prepared to intercept the Knights. The one furthest from the team is Roger, so I don’t want to put him in Barst’s hammer range. This is enough to just catch out his buddy.

The next store also happens to have my next purchase, a duplicate Rapier! Like the Wing Spear, limited to one, but it’s nice that you get this. Most Fire Emblems don’t replenish the character locked weapons.

You can guess what happened to that Knight.

And now Roger’s in a pretty perfect spot.

Let’s chat. This is one of the funnier recruitment conversations.

: Ack!

: Peace, I’ve no wish to fight you. My name is Caeda. I hail from Talys.

: Wh-what are you talking to me for?! This is a battlefield!

I love that only Roger reacts this way.

: Might I trouble you by asking your name, good sir?

: M-my name? That’s- It’s Roger… Why?

: Hee hee, forgive me, Roger, it’s just you looked sweet and kind. I just had to stop and talk to you. Tell me: do you believe in love? Oh, listen to me. I’m sure you already have a sweetheart back in Grust.

: What?! No, no! I… mean, er, I’m quite unattached at the moment.

This is what happens when your armies primarily consist of highschoolers.

: Roger, think of the children- the poor women and children who shed tears every day this war drags on. I joined the Archanean League to put an end to it, but I just…just…*Sniff* Oh, Roger, doesn’t it break your heart?

: Aye, miss. There, there. I, too, wish nothing more than for this needless war to end.

: Then...would you consider fighting with us to end it?

: What? Oh heavens, no… I’m sorry, but I could never betray my kingdom.

: Ah, yes, I see. You must have family back in Grust who are counting on you.

: No, not especially. My parents are dead, and it’s not as if I’ve a girl to call my own. But Grust is my home- always has been. I won’t betray her.

: And I cannot convince you to change your mind?

: I’m afraid not, miss.

: All right, sorry to bother you. But I’m glad we had this chance to talk, Roger. You’re every bit the man I thought you were. Goodbye, then...

: Wait-you’re leaving?!

: Well, yes, Roger, I must! Every moment I stay here, I put you at risk. What if your comrades thought you were conspiring with the enemy? No, I must go…

I mean, his comrades aren’t going to last too much longer.

: …You’re very kind, Caeda. Dare I say, we don’t have girls quite like you back in Grust.

And so we have Roger on our side now. Oddly, for a guy who starts as a Knight, Roger’s HP and Defense growths are absolute garbage. His Luck, though, is through the roof, tied for the highest in the game, and his Strength of 35% (before class bonuses) is great as well. He can coast a bit on those Knight tankiness bases, though, and he makes for a pretty solid wall for a while. We have Wolf for that, though.

Roger can get a reclass to be a pretty solid offensive unit, but I’ve never been all that fond of him. By the way, see if you can spot my positioning mistake.

Julian gets the last kill here, since he’s hurting for experience. He also desperately needs weapon levels.

So long as he keeps getting level ups like that, I’m happy to feed him kills.

Oh poo poo that dude has a bow.

I’ll just block that square!

...it was about three seconds later I realized I picked the wrong square.

Lena, you are not helping.

That’s nice though.

Well, at least Marth gets to chat with our newest recruit.

: Well, at least I was. I’m through fighting against you. Let me join your League.

: Well, certainly. We need all the strong allies we can get. But why the sudden change of heart?

: Well, er… There’s this fetching girl named Caeda who asked me to, and, uh… What can I say? I think I’m in love. Try saying no to a girl who comes racing up to you in the heat of battle just to ask if you believe in love! Whew! I must’ve turned red as a strawberry! Heh heh…

: ……

Agreed.

This is a good store. Blizzard and Thunder are both Rank D tomes, but Blizzard’s a bit more powerful with less accuracy. I think it’s still worth it, because dodge rates are bad in this game. I got one of each anyway.

Thankfully, these Horsemen are so wimpy they can’t OHKO Caeda with their triple damage bows.

I...did sorta pull the whole valley, though. Shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

This chapter really is just a workout for Marth and Caeda’s special weapons.

:eyepop: There we go!

...It would help if Abel didn’t miss with the superweapon.

Caeda doesn’t miss. Also she’s almost capped out speed. At level 8. Caeda rules.

That’s about as many walls as I can fit in there, so the rest of the team moves to deal with the Knight/Archer group.

We have some pretty attractive bait. And by attractive, I mean “wearing a giant suit of sheer steel and beef”.

Oh, I’m also still working with Caesar here.

The last shop contains mostly standard stuff. I bought 5 Vulneraries, though, because I really want one of those on pretty much any tanking unit.

:getin:

Good news, Abel’s learned to hit things again.

Abel! It’s always a roller coaster with this guy.

And Marth wipes up the last of the horse boys.

Looking nice over here...or is it? Don’t forget about those forts.

Here’s Physic in action, by the way. It allows Lena to heal someone from anywhere on the map! Which is some pretty good poo poo.

Meanwhile, I’m just going full on aggressive here, because I can wipe these guys out in one turn.

Magic, finally!

The Armorslayer’s sort of a miracle maker for dealing with Knights for squishy speedster types like Naborslayer.

Ogma, however, needs no special weapons to kick rear end. He’s just Ogma.

Unfortunately, this triggers their pals to appear. Interestingly, this chapter seems to work on getting close to the forts to summon reinforcements, not a turn timer. There’s an invisible line somewhere in each of these little alcoves. Reinforcements are honestly my least favorite part of Fire Emblem on Hard+, because it just causes a lot of deaths that feel unfair since they’re somewhat unpredictable.

So let’s...inch closer and try to summon the others over here.

Meanwhile, the Knight team cleans up these new guys. No more archers will spawn here, by the way, so you’re safe with melee.

Yes, Ogma will continue to be awesome.

(Wow, I hope I didn’t jinx myself there.)

Thankfully, Barst has enough HP that I don’t mind putting him in the Reinforcement attack zone. It helps that it only takes him one hit to kill them, since a double would still give them room to counter.

I did put Wolf in front of him, though, because a double could still potentially kill our blue haired bruiser.

Interestingly, the reinforcements seem to have less defense than the originals, who Ogma was only doing 4 Damage per swipe to.

Oh, he also dodged the second one, and crit him to death. I’ve been strangely lucky on this map, but honestly it’s not too hard, especially if you know how to handle the reinforcements. You can also just rush the boss, but hey, this is free EXP!

Still, that’s enough of that, no more Knights.

...Okay, are you guys coming, or?

...I guess not. Well, might as well…

Aha! You sneaky fucks!

Don’t mess with a horse rear end. Or a Ridersbane.

...Unless he whiffs with it again. I’m so conflicted on you, Abel.

Still, I just kept him there, and moved Roger and Marth up to get ready to block a fort. No more reinforcements spawned this turn, so I guess they’re done.

...one sec.

Alright, that should cover it.

Thankfully that Horseman’s a bad shot too.

At the other end of the map, it’s time to roast poor Kannival.

Even he knows he’s hosed.

And now the reinforcements are back? It’s so oddly inconsistent.

Ah well. They weren’t too equipped to handle a Rapier Marth.

I’m sorry I keep having Cord kill EVERY boss, but once they stop making all of them Generals/Knights, maybe I’ll get to switch it up more!

We also get this. This is interesting, it’s a 1-2 Range Sword, the only one of its kind in this game. However, it also attacks with the Magic Stat...which very few sword users have. It struggles to find a good niche until around the 3DS games, when Tricksters and such become a unit.

Also...an empty Lena level? This is the worst Lena I’ve ever had.

I also moved Barst and Wolf off their perches to get a bit more EXP.

Hmm. I’ll take it.

Now that about everything else is done, Caesar’s just finishing his training.

Even Wendell is beating you, Lena. Wendell! He’s older than Jagen!

Oh, here’s a nice tip if you’re Arena grinding, boss abusing, or healing for EXP. Normally the cursor will snap back to Marth at the start of each turn. Turn that off, it makes it go way faster. This works in the GBA games too.

The game disapproves of me spreading that insider info.

And that’s enough of that.

We just took their castle! Why is it...never mind, I won’t question Malledus.

: There are risks there, too- the Pyrathi king Mannu is said to be a descendant of the dragonkin, a Manakete. Still, we’ve no other recourse. We’ll just have to take our chances… Keep your wits about you, sire.

Next time: A really, really bad idea for a detour.

Bonus Content

Pretty much nobody relevant in this chapter has a card, so…here are some I like, partially just for the text.

Fighter of Talys, Bord
”I’m not Cord, I’m Bord!”

Axe User of Talys, Cord
”I’m not Bord, I’m Cord!”

Volunteer Soldier of Talys, Barst
”Bord! Cord! Let’s move!”

Apparently, if you use all three of these cards together, they get a pretty huge attack buff, which I think is entertaining, even though I don’t really know how to play Cipher :v:.

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jan 31, 2017

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

vilkacis posted:

It's pretty neat.

Whoa, that rules. I thought they might do something like that but I didn't actually try lining them up. I know the Royals cards in the Fates series do something like that too.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

This game needs more Wallace so I'm giving this thread a 1

Harsh but fair.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Well, I guess he does use an axe.

Not even I got this one until it sunk in. I'm glad that joke is paying off.

Last Celebration posted:

It's worth noting with the Levin Sword that in NES Shadow Dragon there was no magic stat, so it was basically just a decent spell. Also there's a map where it's not terrible because no one told IS taking a map with Not-Bow Armor Knights and making their not-bows ballistas while keeping the tank part would not be the greatest idea in the world. so you want as many sources of magic damage as you can get.

Oh, yeah, I don't mean to insinuate the Levin Sword is unusable or anything, it's just really, really niche compared to the Javelin or Hand Axe, which are much more common and tend to ruin your damage less.

AradoBalanga posted:

For as much as swords get the marquee treatment in the series (every main character lord except Hector, Ephraim and Micaiah wields swords as their default weapon), they do get the short end of the stick in places you'd think they would not.

One thing I think is interesting is that Path of Radiance featured the Flame Lance and Bolt Axe, which had the same effects as the Levin Sword, but for the other two weapon types. Then they were pretty summarily forgotten and the Flame Lance never appeared again, but the Bolt Axe was in Awakening as an obscure late game drop. (Just in time for WAR CLERICS :getin:)

There was also a "Wind Sword" in FE7, but to get it, you had to have the special edition of Mario Kart: Double Dash with the bonus disc, put that in a Gamecube, and transfer data from that to your GBA with Fire Emblem in it via a link cable. It was the most bizarre thing, and I still did it on my original FE7 cartridge.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

rannum posted:

I guess the idea is weaken the "normal" options to make the ranged weapon triangle more viable rather than just loading up all your best lance & axe uers with cheap ranged weapons and going to town.

but then they made 1/3rd of the ranged weapons significantly superior despite lower damage so woops.

e: This reminds me, are there not a lot of pegasus/wyvern knights in this game? Or are they all in the back half. Poor bow users if so

There's a map towards the end of this game that is mostly Dracoknights. There's a flying boss too, but he has an Iote's Shield :v:

Usually if you see fliers in this game, they're reinforcements, but you run a pretty good chance of seeing a couple in any chapter set against Macedon, since that's sorta their gimmick. There are a lot more of them in the sequel, at least in the front half.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I know some people have had some concerns about if the Fire Emblem mobile game will be any good. As the OP of this thread, I'm happy to report:

It will be good. Thanks.

(also he's voiced by DC Douglas)

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Getting both the Wesker joke and the Zero joke in makes me so very proud of my thread. :unsmith:

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 9: Questionably Canon Dragon (Prep)

Time for some more Fire Emblem. We’ll be facing a whole new kind of enemy boss unit this time, and I hope you’re excited to see what it could be!

...Or the game could just spoil it right there.

: Py-what?

: Pyrathi.

: I don’t remember that place at all. Are you sure it exists?

: Of course! It’s...that island just southeast of Port Warren. Look at the map! See it?

: That’s my fingernail, Sir Jagen.

(The Pyrathi Isles are, to my knowledge, never mentioned or acknowledged again in the series after this chapter.)

: and their king, Mannu, was wroth when he heard of the League’s unexpected visit. There were whispers Mannu was a dragonkin- rumors soon to be proved true.

In case people wanted to compare our two Mercenaries, I’ve got them here for you.

Ogma’s got the advantage right now, but Caesar’s not too far behind. I’m considering reclassing Caesar into some sort of physical unit (Pirate?), and I’m open to suggestions. Of course, there’s nothing wrong with multiple mercs.

Also, I want to clarify that I did make fun of Caesar’s Magic growth last time, but Miacis pointed out in the thread that he really does make a solid Dark Mage. He’s one of only three non-natural spellcasters to even have a Magic growth, alongside Cord and Jagen. Thanks for pointing that out, Miacis.

To try and rectify Navarre being the squishiest man to ever be potenitally squished, I swapped him into Cavalier to try that out. The biggest issue I’m seeing right now is that absolutely atrocious 2 Skill. We’ll see how it plays out.

Here’s the preliminary roster, the usual team + Caesar and Roger. Might as well show that lovable dork off.

This map is a little complex, but it’s nothing we really haven’t seen before. We’ll start here, and move to that center island.

A locked gate bars the path, but we’ve got a certain sneaky rogue who can get past that for us, as well as grab the treasures inside. This also opens a shortcut to the southwest island, which houses the boss.

We’ll want to go around north first, though, as there’s a village for the visiting, and you probably don’t want to miss out on this one.

The southeast island has this tiny building containing only a chest. Huh. That seems worth checking out.

And the final part of the map, regardless of which way you reach it, is crawling with enemies. The Pyrathi don’t like us very much.

Especially not this guy. King Mannu might look like a complete pushover, but don’t forget that his Firestone is going to boost his stats. His real attack is 27.

However he’s still 1 range and thus still a pushover. Oh well. Next time, we cleanse Pyrathi of all life and relevance from the series.

Bonus Content

Roger needs some dating advice.

The Dork Knight

: Steve, sorry for earlier. I wonder if you could give me some more advice?

: O-oh, alright. If it’s within my capability.

: But honestly, I had no idea somebody thought of me that way. No idea at all. I wonder if I should confess my love right now? Steve, what do you reckon's best?

: Huh…? I don’t know, that depends on the other person.

: Why are you talking like it's got nothing to do with you...? Weren't you waiting for my confession? That's the reason you felt jealous when I talked about my ideal woman, right? Anyway, Steve! I love you!!!

:magical:

: Eh!? W-what, me? I’m sorry, but I…

You can only do that sort of thing to the OTHER Avatar characters, Roger.

: There you go, looking all embarrassed... You put up a cold front, but you really like me, don't you?

: No, you’ve got it wrong! I don’t feel that way at all!

: I-I-I see… If you deny it that strongly… then I guess I’m back to being a sad man again…

You know Roger probably uses the term “friend zone” in feudal times.

: Oh… I-I’m sorry. I spoke too much.

: If you want to apologize… How about you introduce me to another girl, then?

: O-oh, right. I can't think of anyone at the moment... But, well... I've, er, heard whispers... of a girl who, um, secretly admires you, but who's too shy to confess her feelings... These are just whispers though, but I don't think anybody can positively prove they're false.

: I see, you’re right, I can’t deny that. So it’s a shy girl. I had no idea.

: What if you took the initiative, Sir Roger?

: You’re right, I should be proactive and seek her myself! Thanks, Steve! I’ll give it a shot!

: ...I wonder, did I do the right thing?

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Sweet mother of Naga that Skill drop on Navarre. :stare:

I kind of get the Speed drop due to class differences, but I did not expect his Skill to be basically skullfucked into oblivion.

I had to do a double take there because I was like "No, it can't be THAT aw-oh my god"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Not only is Pyrathi entirely forgotten after this chapter, it's so unimportant Mystery of the Emblem Book 1 cut this chapter entirely, proving it might as well not exist at all.

I'll note that in the update proper. I forget exactly which maps were cut, but I think it was four or five? I'll look it up for later.

• Locked thread