Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Torrannor posted:

There's no MyUnit in this game?

The My Unit/Avatar system was started by the next game. This one only has one interesting thing, and that's the game genuinely wanting you to kill your own units.

You can see why people dislike it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

BlackPersona posted:

For what it's worth I think there was some leftover data for a My Unit in this game, it just... got scrapped. For some reason.

That seems to be indeed the case. The Cutting Room Floor mentions it, quoting them:

TCRF posted:

The My Unit feature, which allows players to create their own character, may have been planned to debut in Shadow Dragon, instead of Shin Monsho no Nazo. In the game, there is an unused and untranslated heading for a "My Unit Registration" and "My Unit" is spelled in exactly the same way as the custom character in Shin Monsho no Nazo and Awakening.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This one's my personal favourite.

Between the incredibly :smug: look and the very oddly-shaped face, it honestly amuses me that this is the same pure good bishonen we all know.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sjs00 posted:

It makes no sense why the game has such good writing initially and then just....doesn't.

It does make sense. The prologue is new content so it allows itself to be good, the rest is the same content as the original game, untouched, having aged really badly and comparing just as badly to newer games but nonetheless unchanged.

EDIT: my post is also similarly dated and bad, I should've refreshed before posting.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

MythosDragon posted:

I tried to remember, but the only detail I remember about my playthroughs of this game are Norne the bow meister and "Flying deathsquad" which are par for the course tbh. I remember what little there is of the plot and characters, but nothing about the actual results of my gameplay.

That's probably because there's absolutely nothing to remember about the plot and characters.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Silver Sword thing is indeed a weird carry-over from the original game. Weapon Ranks weren't a thing by then, WExp was. As such, Hardin could wield both weapons of his at the same level.

This isn't the case here and I genuinely don't understand why IntSys didn't give you a Silver Lance instead or Hardin a B rank in Swords beyond "it's the first game we can't change anything despite it desperately needing changes" which seems to have been the main philosophy behind this game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LordHippoman posted:

To be honest it is a lot easier than it looks at first. Most enemies aren't up to par with your units, so a huge horde of them isn't as frightening as it typically appears. Most of it comes down to knowing the maps, knowing your units, andplanning/hoping for the best. For comparison, I can do most FE games on Hard, but stuff like a Nuzlocke in Pokemon, or even BEATING the original Final Fantasy Tactics is beyond me.

I agree with most of your points but man, that's some weird ability you've got there. The only FEs I managed to beat were Awakening and Fates: Birthright on Normal, and even I beat FF Tactics and completed several Nuzlockes.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LordHippoman posted:

The Assistant Leader of the Wolf Knights, Sedgar

Gonna assume “Wolf Knights” is a finicky translation for “Wolfguard”.

Fire Emblem wiki posted:

狼騎士団 Ōkami Kishidan, literally Wolf Knights

Also while it feels obvious that Wolf leads the Wolfguard, their name actually comes from Hardin, whose Japanese title is not Coyote but Wolf of the Grasslands. That someone whose title is Wolf ends up having a righthand literally named Wolf (though both are different, 狼騎 Ōkami in the first case versus ウルフ literally Wolf for the actual name) is either a great pun for the Japanese or just lazy, not sure which.

Also also Wolf is such an unimportant character in the original game that Gaiden, the immediate next game which happens in the same universe, reused his name for an unimportant boss. It might've been intentional too, seeing how both are archers (mounted here, Sniper in Gaiden) and both get absolutely no dialogue in their original games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

AradoBalanga posted:

Oh, and that...red dragon dude who I think I accidentally killed in Dhegnisea's fight. Whatever he was called.

Gareth, who had so many lines and so much personality that he could fit right into this game.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Navarre, no. You're two games too early to S-rank another man.

quote:

: ... You again? Begone from my sight.

: No! I won't let you kill Ogma! No matter how you might try to stop me!

: ...Then stop me with your blade.

: No! Navarre... I won't kill you, either... I don't want to see you die. Both you and Ogma... are my comrades! And I won't allow my comrades to die! If you must fight Ogma... Then turn your blade on me first!

This is pretty much Caeda’s only tactic.

Hey, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. It's very effective!

quote:

Bonus Content

Wielder of the Hard Sword, Ogma

Oh, so Navarre's purpouse was Ogma's hard sword, huh?

quote:

Wielder of the Certain Kill Sword, Navarre

Keep in mind the titles are unofficial, direct translations. So, uh, I think the second one is supposed to be "Killing Edge". Ogma's got a Levin Sword in that picture, by the way. That's a bad idea for Ogma.

It isn't. The Killing Edge in Japanese is キルソード, literally Kill Sword as English words. I can't quite read Japanese, but I can see that the Kill Sword kana is most definitely not there, and I'm guessing its says hissatsu ken or something to that extent instead.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Sjs00 posted:

So how old is Ogma anyway? I keep doing the math for Caeda and she's either really young; like, 16 and already married, or he's approaching 40 which would be ancient in feudal times. Which then brings up the question of how old is Jagen?

From the novelizations of both games, since those are the only sources we have:
-Caeda is 14 in Shadow Dragon and 17 in Mystery of the Emblem
-Jagen is 58 in Mystery of the Emblem, meaning that he should be roughly 55 in Shadow Dragon
-Ogma's age is not given.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Someone will have to fix that lack of fanart. It won't be me, because I can't draw, but someone must.

Also Cannibal is not going to eat anyone with that range and those stats.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

LordHippoman posted:

Axe User of Talys, Cord
”I’m not Bord, I’m Cord!”

Well, I guess he does use an axe.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Not only is Pyrathi entirely forgotten after this chapter, it's so unimportant Mystery of the Emblem Book 1 cut this chapter entirely, proving it might as well not exist at all.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

This game is bad, but my current team in Heroes is 3/4 characters from here, so I don't know how to feel.

Also consider this fanart for the thread.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

At the beginning of the update, after Nyna talks about her parents' gruesome deaths, you have the same image twice, LordHippoman.

FoolyCharged posted:

You think too small. The theif ballista does not attack, it merely fires an endless wave of thieves across the map at key targets and THEN destroy the towns, clerics, lords, etc.

Well uhh...it has to run out of ammo sooner or later, and you could use the Thieves it shoots for exp grinding, so it isn't that bad, so long as they don't shoot in bad places...and you have a Warp staff nearby.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I refuse to accept a reality where Penvo, best son of Archanea and true hero, died.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

You'd think there would be a clause in Astram's AI to stop him from attacking Midia, or at the very least, special dialogue if it happens. But nope, nothing. :effort:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Camel Pimp posted:

Were ballasticians in FE3?

From what FE wiki says, yes, but enemy-only and couldn't move. Beck and Jake aren't in FE3 at all (in either Book, they were some of the cut characters from FE1).

That they can't move is consistent with what Beck said here, the lack of that fruit makes the Ballistae unmovable.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

What the soldier forgot to point out was the fourth A of the League: Asskicking.

I'd say assassination but that class wasn't brought into SD, Thieves can't promote.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

There's something oddly hilarious to me about the fact that the dangerous super-evil wizard that caused whatever's going wrong with the world and is clearly a very big threat and personal enemy to our hero has a whole 6 Magic. Frightening, no doubt.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Last Celebration posted:

Because Shadow Dragon is kind of a bizarre chain of dubious design choices.

I sure wish that particular dubious choice was SD's only, but sadly it became a regular part of the series afterwards.

Thankfully, it's the only bad choice this game made that actually stuck, unless I'm forgetting something big here.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Alxprit posted:

Camus just dies? Are you Sirius?

What did you Zeke, a happy ending?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Vanna Marth will never stop being one of my favourite pieces of art in the entire franchise. I wish he was an alternate outfit for Marth in Super Smash Bros., it'd even get me to use Marth.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

vilkacis posted:

Though only as long as the lord survives, because they can't turnwheel themselves. (Nor can the other lord turnwheel them even if you have both on the field.)

This was a genuine problem with me when I fought Jedah with the Dracoshield. The only way I had to win that one was sending Celica to fight him, hoping she crit, and if she didn't crit, that she dodged. The chances weren't bad.

Neither happened, game over.

I then decided to just grind for Tigerstance. That poo poo is broken.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

blizzardvizard posted:

Uh, the boss leaves after a number of turns.

I know and that makes it worse. There's an item there, I can't just leave it!

If it was just killing him then fine, whatever, but knowing there's a drop there that I can't get otherwise just hits my completionist side. I wasn't continuing without that Dracoshield.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Jagen truly is the hero of heroes, saving us all from the evils of Medeus.

...Marth was there too, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

It was a really good LP and made Jagen an even better character than he already was. And he already was one of the very few characters I could actually remember from FE1.

I just wish I had actual art skills to give proper fanart to the thread of Jagen instead of just a Blingee like I did with Wrys. Sadly, my art skills are about as good as this game's writing. Nonetheless, I really enjoyed this LP and it was a great view on one of the most mediocre but nonetheless very much playable parts of this franchise. Great job!

• Locked thread