Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Elise staying behind was different in that short anime adaptation. She forces the issue by using a Warp staff to just teleport Marth several miles away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Is everyone starting to see why Marth decided to purge Malladus from his memory between this game and its sequel?

Good.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Camel Pimp posted:

Actually, I know that normally any dead units will leave their stuff behind in the convoy. Does that apply to the sacrifice? (Probably not, but who knows)

EDIT: Spellcheck you failed me.

It doesn't apply to the sacrifice. It wouldn't surprise me if it didn't apply to any Prologue deaths, considering you don't have the convoy until the main game starts.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

I have something to say once we reach the first Gaiden chapter about how the tone of Fire Emblem has changed over the years. The reason why I'm waiting until then is because the Gaiden chapter illustrates it well.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

And at this point you remember that Marth was asked to bring Lena back to Galder, and never does. Either she didn't actually like the place, or Marth isn't the hero the writers intended him to be.

Worth noting: there are no such thing as Neutral units in this game. Thinking back, they were introduced in Geneology.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

One of the reasons for Wolf and Sedgar's amazing growths, is that the Horseman class has terrible growths. And the horseman class has terrible growths because they wanted an excuse for all the terrible horsemen you fight early on. If you leave Wolf and Sedgar in their base classes (which you'll probably be inclined to do, considering how important MOV is in this game), then they just have great growths, which might make them usable eventually despite their poor bases. But switch them into a class with actual growths and... hoo boy. Can you say 120% - 160% in everything?

As for the terrible mook horseman? Back in the very first Fire Emblem game, there were only a few classes that could promote. They didn't connect Hunter and Horseman until Mystery, so there was no expectation for Horsemen to have promoted-level stats in Dark Dragon.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

vilkacis posted:

:haw:

The emblem doubling as a chest key is such a random decision. I mean, it's helpful! Just... weird.

I think the idea is "whoever holds this shield is the rightful owner of everything in the world, particularly every treasure chest."

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Finally made it to the first Gaiden chapter. Let's see how it goes...

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

This is one of the few times Shadow Dragon acknowledges just how much the tone of the series has changed.

The early games tended to be written as "And the next data point historians have found is that Marth's army was here."

Up to, Binding Blade, the endings were "And this is who was remembered by history and how. We're pretty sure the dragon chick wasn't actually real, but she adds a certain something to the plays written about the campaign later." Then the transition to Blazing Sword subtly changed it to "This is what happened. And this is how they lived their lives afterward."

And here, in a remake of the first game that changes very little, we have these side chapters, where "History won't remember this. But you totally did do it, and it mattered."

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

In the more egalitarian future of 201X, someone finally realizes that no, the Falchion does not have a male-only clause. Why would it? It's a dragon's discarded tooth. Its two powers are being able to kill other dragons, and being organic enough to heal back over any chips or cracks.

Jury is still out over whether it's really tied to a particular family or not, seeing as how Anri never had children, and so has no descendants. Marth is descended from Anri's cousin.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Fortunately, Caeda keeps her lance rank as a cavalier.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

tunapirate posted:

If Caeda reclasses to Paladin, can she still use Wing Spears? Given that Caeda maxes speed anyway, that would be pretty scary

Yes. That's probably what had me confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Etzal feels like a reference to Blazing Sword. He has Canas' monocle, and Nergal's backstory, toned down from 10 to 3.

• Locked thread