Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I really want to say a good portion of this games flaws come from being a remake of one of the oldest games known to mankind, but then FE12 comes along and just completely destroys those problems and all it really took is supports. I'm forced to kill characters whenever I play this because Athena is my favorite non-plot character and shes locked in the gaidens.

I'm a huge supports fan, my ideal Fire Emblem is the Map Number Unlock method for supports with like a post game grinding map for them, because honestly, the option of grinding is the biggest flaw of 13 and 14, it just takes all the fun out of the games and then they get balanced around a bit of grinding, and ugh. I honestly hated 10, even though its the best mechanically because there were no supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I remember in the first Fire Emblem on GBA I got an absolutely insane Rebecca once. 5 stats going up per level was fairly normal for her and she slaughtered everything that looked at her funny. Best archer ever

I have insane luck with these games, I've literally never had a bad unit that wasnt inherently screwed, so prepromotes that you get at the very end. I had quite possibly the best Meg ever in 10, She was useful in the final battle for petes sake.

I'm really bad with choices and I really dont want to waste exp so my basic strategy is to use only The Lord and girls because there are a lot less girls than guys in 6-12. I think in 9 you only have enough to fill out the final with 1 extra. As a side effect of this I am absolutely enamored with Pegasus Knights and Archers since those are the female heavy classes and basically have no experience with Cavaliers as thats almost exclusively male.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Miacis posted:

This game can be so incredibly dull if you don't play around with reclassing, meaning I'm already voting for a Jagen Bishop. :catholic:

This was my first FE and I never even touched that. The only reason I touch it in 13 is because screw wasting EXP. Guess it kind of bothers me that this dude can train 20 years to use a bow, and then start swinging a sword with the best of them the moment hes told to.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I sometimes dream of 11 done as lovingly as 12. They had the exact same starting point, but 12 added supports, thus actual character interaction, much more new characters to enjoy and is generally better at everything else by far as well.

I hope they remake 4 for FE15, and give it atleast as much love as 12, maybe add a gajillion quality of live improvements.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I think that FE6 Karel would argue that age doesn't always mean loss of growth rates, what with his 950% growth rate total.

He drank the sacred water of potential, but he drank it too late in his life.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

I like bloodthirsty Old Man way better than like half the characters we will actually recruit in this game, and he has more dialogue.

It honestly amazes me that I enjoy these games sometimes, I'm firmly in "The more dialouge, the higher quality the game" territory, yet I still love Fire emblem. Gotta give this game some slack though, it technically is older than me, no slack for 10 though, 10 doesnt deserve any.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

You did not just sell Norne short, I fell in love with her pink hair and she was my end all best unit at the end of the game alongside Athena.

The more I love a character the more powerful they get. Except Meg, she got more powerful with apathy.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Oh my god, that is amazing. 10/10 FE7.
I just thought of something, pretty sure this game gives you generics when you run under the 15 or something units. Has anyone done a generic challenge run? Onthat note, do other games in the series give you generics if you murder everyone?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sjs00 posted:

It makes no sense why the game has such good writing initially and then just....doesn't.

It makes plenty of sense. This game is nearly 30 years old originally, and they didnt really put any effort into cleaning, improving, or expanding it up beyond the graphics.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My biggest problem with 13 and 14 is the support method, I'm the psychopath that grinded out every single support you can in a single playthrough of 13. Someone told me I didnt need to save my S supports so my gallery was missing them all. It took 110 hours, and after being horrifically overpowered from grinding them it basically took me 10 hours to beat the story, so like 100 hours of grinding. What I want is to use 9 and 12's # of Maps together method, cut grinding out till the post game, and then just let you go hogwild to get them all then.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My favorite strategy is to just send Pegasus Knights flying around en masse murdering everything, while the plebeian non-fliers go a different route. I've never had an issue with them getting strength outside of the very last recruit of the game trope, then again I also use my stat boosters, I once saved them all for that unit and made it usable.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

I really have to wonder if someone on the team was like, really strict with what changes they could make to the original script. Because stuff like that and the gaiden characters all being pretty cool points to a ton of effort with the writing that sorta flops in the main game somehow.

Miyamoto has a record for doing exactly this, so it wouldn't surprise me if he somehow forced his way into Intelligent Systems offices wearing Medeus' outfit and forbade them doing anything cool. I don't like Miyamoto, but I had fun imagining this.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

GeneX posted:

How the hell can you dislike Miyamoto of all people?

Precisely for the reason mentioned, the man has publicly said story focus hurts games, and told IS not to add story to a Mario subseries thats basically all about the story. Thats a pretty good way to get on the blacklist of a Story Gamer, don't you think?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I always want to use Ogma but my playstyle doesnt really allow it. Mercenaries have always been my forbidden romance basically. Thank god for 12.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Huh, I never knew there was a term for character locked weapons. Cool.

Anyway Lord Hippoman, I gotta ask now that I've read your RF1 LP. Any plans to do Rune Factory 2 someday? Its almost as bad mechanically as 1 :bang:, so I cant play it myself .

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Shh, if he plays RF3 we'll never see an LP of 2.

If 1 works at 100% and 2 works at 150%, then 3 works at 1000%. Its such a massive upgrade its amazing. For the record I'd say 4 is about 800%.

Now to stay on Topic; I really love the next chapter, idk Its like the chapter I always think of when FE11.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My only real knight experience in terms of gameplay is with Wendy and Meg, and somehow both ended up being unstoppable juggernauts of rage for me. I seriously took Meg to the Endgame and she helped a bit. Basically the same thing with Cecil and Fiona, who I also took to the endgame cuz she was one of my favorites and got some stat boosters.
I think my point is I might have the best luck at this series because I cant think of a single unit that has ever backfired on me outside of last Pegasus knights and 8 in general because the game ends at 20/10ish instead of 20/20ish.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Camel Pimp posted:

Oh, if we're talking armor knights, I feel like I need to share this absolutely amazing piece of fanart I found.

I have no idea where this is originally from. I wish I did.

What.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

From a while back but,

They actually DID improve a fair number of things, its just mostly mechanical and little to do with map design and plot. Off the top of my head:

Stat cap formerly 20s across the board, now has class caps.
Hunters, knights, and pirates can promote.
On that note berserkers(and horse bowmen?) exist
Weapon ranks formerly governered by a stat that rolled on level up.
Bonuses at weapon ranks c-a (previous games only gave a crit boost for s)
Added weapon triangle
First game to allow marking unit ranges on the map.
Covoy is built into marth and not a building.
First game with Reclassing
Added forging
Save points.
The wing spear?

And im probably missing some.
Sadly none of these can fix the boring late game maps and lack of personality to the characters. I could definitely buy that weird executive oversight theory with how much the overhauled the game mechanicaly while leaving other areas almost untouched in their ancient, dated state.

So its an SNES game instead of a NES game now :v:

Honestly, I dont have much dislike for the game, It may not have supports, but its technically the game that abolished that most asinine of rules, 5 supports max. Seriously, I'm really happy that I never got FE on the GBA as a kid and that this was my first, I wouldve hated the series because of that rule if not for the saves that have them all unlocked I later played with and the FE9 lp that had all the supports covered. Plus its not like companies other than Falcom are known for worthwhile remakes. I mean Squares idea of improving the story in the FF4 remake was to add like 50 dialogue boxes and a playable flashback. Whereas our lord and savior Falcom took an ancient Y's 4 and completely gutted and wrote it from the bottom up while still keeping most of the core plot.

P.S while searching to make sure it wasnt FE10 that removed the limits, I found this; http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=52126

I havnt read anything, but honestly anything to improve that aspect.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 9, 2016

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

FoolyCharged posted:

Once they've supported sure, but you have to glue them together for an eternity to get those bonuses in the first place. I think PoR did supports best in that you unlocked them just by using the two units on the same map.

I know I said it like twice already, but I'm so obsessed with the idea I'll say it again.

9/12's Map # support unlocked conditions combined with the sheer amount of 13 and 14, with some kind of postgame grindable maps so you can actually play the game without grinding them, is the absolute best theyre going to get the support system. I need this for 15, I grinded all the supports for Awakening that was enough, just let me have peace of mind and enjoy the drat games please.

On the subject of 15, I kind of hope its a rehaul of 4 like this was of 1. I just really want to see what they can do with the game if they can give it the 12 treatment, though I've been asking for this since the release of 13.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sjs00 posted:

So have you guys ever been taken totally aback by a character whose name is the same as yours? Because our new thief friend did that to me on my first playthrough. It was really weird!
Also; this is where the anime OVA ends; there was a really great swordfight between Navarre and Oguma as well.

I'm actually in the sequel, Man now I wish I was around for the 12 LP so I could demand Robert use at all times.

LordHippoman posted:

There's this bizarre phenomenon for me where every character who has my name seems to be an rear end. It was very discouraging when I was like, 6. And I think I watched the anime like, years ago, I'll have to look it up again for this thread because I remember enjoying parts of it, thanks for reminding me.

Same, the first time I ever saw my name was in Ueki and I was the drat antagonist. Now I'm usually a random NPC, in Trails of Cold Steel I was a dude with a lovely Gf telling the protags to gently caress off and stop interrupting my date, he gets a special mention in the game of NPCs for that.

LordHippoman posted:

He’s totally lying, he’ll chop Lena to ribbons if he gets close. Or Caeda, for that matter, unless you talk to him first. I think he’s just shy around girls.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt it implied that every single dude Caeda recruits has a crush on her? Or is it just me.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 11, 2016

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

I think they only really push that angle hard with Roger. One of the bonus maps from the BS Fire Emblem games has Rickard pointing out that Navarre just gets really, really awkward trying to talk to women. I think the anime gives him some odd backstory about that with his girlfriend being murdered protecting him or something like that, but I don't entirely remember, and it's not canon to the game, IIRC.

Considering I love Roger, he probably just overwrote my memories then.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Camel Pimp posted:

You know, this LP's been missing something, and I think I just figured out what it is

PERFECT, Also while I have you here, Thank you for subjecting yourself to Dragon Song so I didnt have to.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Wayne posted:

:allears:

Shame I'm on my laptop, otherwise I'd toss in Steve's mask too. Er, the eye one, not the ninja mask thing.

Don't think I've made it here yet, just wanted to say it's good to see you back in the saddle already, Hippo. :patriot: And yeah, I think we talked about RF2 in the thread already, but you spend the first half with tutorial gameplay (no crafting, no special tools, etc.) but normal talkin' and datin', and then the child protaganist part where you have full gameplay but really simplified character stuff (and yes, even by HM/RF standards). I don't think there's any point in the game where the traditional audience is happy. :sweatdrop:

In all honesty, at this point I expect LPers to willingly subject themselves to games most wouldnt, Its worked out pretty well so far. I never really had an issue with that part myself it was the "Push button to run, moving really awkardly at all times, and no skills thing" since I started with 3.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Its really sad that Persona Emblem is the singular game I have interest in on the Wii U, I'm thinking about buying it and borrowing my friends Wii U just to get that system over with.

Does anyone else have an issue with reclassing? Idk, I'm a bit of a stickler for canon so it bothers me when I do it, I've literally gotten through 3 plays and like a dozen half assed ones of 11 here without touching it beyond the menu interface. It didnt bother me much in 13 because Level 20/20 Support Grinding and wasting Exp being a literal sin to me.

And yeah I read it on the archive, its only the past month that I've finally decided to use my account and participate in LPs, and I didnt feel like reading the thread.

P.S I expect another Christmas edit like the one in the 12 lp, and I wont take no for an answer :colbert:.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 13, 2016

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

vilkacis posted:

It's been strictly a second+ run thing for me (with the exception of getting my Mary Sue out of their special snowflake sword class and one that uses proper weapons asap). I like branching promotions more than base class changes.

Now I'm upset that theres no tri-part staffs in Fire Emblem. Still cant bring myself to use it even on a 3rd run tbh.

I'm replaying 12 because of this and actually reading your 12 LP rather than just having it bookmarked. I'd replay 11, but well its 11. Anyway I think 12 is the pinnacle of the series from an objective view point, its the most balanced of the FEs. It has a bit more of a plot than normal cuz remake, it has the traditional gameplay we all love, but it also has a bit of the support focus of 13 and 14 even if its only in relation to the Avatar. I'd have to choose 13 as my favorite due to being a story gamer, but I really have to give it to 12, and if 15 isnt a remake of 4, I really hope they dial back to a balanced focus like 12 had. I also want to tell you that I'm one of those crazy people you referred to that solo'd the final boss with Feena, and I only used a few stat boosters cuz my luck was insane.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 16, 2016

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Cattail Prophet posted:

Every chapter of Shadow Dragon actually has the same unit limit: 16. It's just that characters that you recruit curing the chapter count towards that limit, so if there's a chapter where you recruit, say, six new characters, you can only bring in ten dudes at the start. This is not the only thing in the game that's governed by the number 16.

Thats actually really cool.
Is the other thing the age limit of good characters?

Not that this affects me since its like chapter 20 before I have 16 characters.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I tried to remember, but the only detail I remember about my playthroughs of this game are Norne the bow meister and "Flying deathsquad" which are par for the course tbh. I remember what little there is of the plot and characters, but nothing about the actual results of my gameplay.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Its not that farfetched to believe that at one point Archanea had the entire continent under its rule, but then went down roman style. Giant Countries are a bad idea without phones and internet.

I just realized that if chapters were cut, you got less exp, which made the games harder, jesus.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

magikid posted:

I've probably asked this about Fire Emblem before, but how do you guys deal with it all? Everything about these games just seems hilariously "anti-player."

Permanent character death, so no room for mistakes. Limited experience that you have to carefully balance between characters (while still trying to clear the stage). Random level gains, so characters you've put work into can turn out terrible for no reason. No failsafe if that happens. Weapon durability for everything. Replacement weapons can only be bought in the middle of battle, when presumably enemies are trying to kill you. Weapon ranks and character relationships, so there's more stuff to manage. Gold comes from villages, which enemy thieves can destroy apparently? Really, all that's missing is hunger and thirst meters for everyone.

Are the games just generally easy enough that it doesn't matter much? I've never played any of them, but they just look like this massive brick wall that hates all life.
I've been gone 2 weeks and I wanted to answer this myself.

Its less antiplayer and more play efficient;y, which basically boils down to choosing 15 or so characters to use period and never giving anyone else any experience no matter what, You can max out a full squad easy outside of 8 where the game ends around level 20/10. 80% of the series difficulty tends to be in the first 1/3 of the game, after that you have a full squad 5-10 levels above the opposition for the rest of the game and you just go on a murder rampage. I've never had a character turn out anywhere bad enough to not be usable, and I frequently use the so called worst characters, who yknow turn out in my upper tiers, I am the crazy person that solo'd 12's boss with Feena and took Meg to the finale in 10. Weapon durability is cool, it helps you have less clutter, 6-13 all give you more than enough weaponry through drops and recruits to never have to buy any and still have like 2000 uses leftover, I'm pretty confused as to why OP is buying any tbh. Honestly Gold only matters if you forge or theres a statbooster/promoter shop.

Also 5 has a fatigue system where you have to sit characters out so they can rest, I havnt played, I assume I will die horribly if I ever do.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Edit: Sorry it said I failed.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Jagen Tales confirmed the best part of any fire emblem LP ever.

My sides are destroyed, senile bloodthirsty Jagen is love.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

vilkacis posted:

:hawaaaafap:

"you are free to stop imagining it any time"

I want literally Jeigan Warriors with a cast of characters all over 40.

Caeda looks good with an angry face. Also this is worse if you remember the phrase "in the buff".

Sprites with emotions om FE15 please.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sjs00 posted:

The Manaketes have always been incredibly creepy to me. But of course, Japan.

Whats creepy about Dragons?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Fionordequester posted:

PFAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Dang; I knew we in America had problems putting too much hormones into our food, but that...that's something else :xd: !

Combat hormones.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Rigged Death Trap posted:

(Oh god i hate myself)

Its called high growth rates

Puns are love, puns are life.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Okay I laughed at the cards.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My 3DS broke 2 months ago so this LP was hurting me a bit as it was pretty close to a fire emblem machine, but now I've mourned and its time to catch up.

Edit: Caught up. I love the everyone dies chapters, except when you killed Linde, you monster.

Imagine a timeline where she gets Def on level up and eats all the shields and robes, go on imagine it. I did that. I swear she could solo the game. Shes my favorite.

Fire Emblem LPs mess me up a bit because youre so underleveled from using units once or twice and soaking up the EXP, I normally start promoting this chapter.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Mar 14, 2017

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I actually like thiis chapter, I dont think I've ever been hit with a ballista. So its like a free win. Also my playstyle means Midia is my only Horsy so I like her.

Can I ask why you use Vulneries? Ive literally never touched them outside of a forced tutorial. Exp for the staff gods and blood for the combat gods and all that.

I'm a bit worried about 15, there was an article that said no "Battle Supports" and I have no idea what that means since its basically in the middle of 3 different mechanics, and if it means no actual supports like 11 here, I dont think I can do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

I typically only have one or two stave users out at once, and they can't cover the whole map outside of Physic, which has a pretty precious 10 Uses. I also tend to use units who are big chunks of HP (See: Barst) and can hold out pretty well with just a little sustainability.

Vulneraries/Elixirs are great for any unit that needs to block a choke, especially if they can't have a healer glued to the back of them because of ranged weapon users. 10 HP is pretty big early game to mid game, and even late it can make the difference between 1 HP and 0 HP. If you're running a team that uses more tanky staff users/staff users in general, or one that relies more on dodges, I can see why you wouldn't want them.

I guess its just my playstyle being hyper efficient, If I dont plan to use a character they dont get a single bit of EXP ever and actions that dont give EXP just arnt efficient enough for me. This leads to the first few chapters being the hardest chapters since the characters I plan to use are never around till like chapter 4, but right here is where I break the game over my knee completely because every single one of my characters is Level 17 or so by now and a few are promoting.

If someone ever make a hyper efficient LP writing program(HA) I'd probably do a FE LP myself to see how this feels and leave myself at the mercy of the thread. Thanks for humoring me.

Since I mentioned it, I always imagined you guys had a specific word program that let you directly upload images where you wanted them and perfectly matched the format you'd get posting here, none of this manual nonsense that nearly gave me a mental breakdown when I tried to LP Growlanser 4.

• Locked thread