Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Camel Pimp posted:

So inspired by the FE7 LP I've been attempting to do a woman (and Marth) only run of this game. I'm doing it on normal, though, so it's not really been very hard. Also I've been pretty flagrantly using all of the male units as meat shields (partially to get to 6x, but also because I can.) It's weird, but mass sacrificing your units is... fun.

Thats what I always do, its not like they are sentient beings in 11, and I need Athena every playthrough and extra exp.

This is actually the only classic FE Ive played without an All Girls Run since it was my first FE(Yes, I survived that). As I mentioned before I dislike wasting EXP, so I chose a theme when I started 7 I think, and the easiest theme is All Girls. In 6-12 only about a 3rd of the cast is female, which also matches the maximum deployment limit pretty well, so bam my choice was made. Or cemented rather, because my original reason was the standard puberty powered GIRL obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

AradoBalanga posted:

"Oil from a unique fruit that goes extinct after a big war and we're only telling you about it in this one support conversation" might be one of the more half-assed explanations this franchise has farted out over the years.

Atleast they didnt try to get us to go harvest said fruit to power our sail ballista's.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Next time is the chapter that ended my first run. I think I was just bad at it.

Use all the fliers at all times and dont you dare promote before 20, its wrong.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

It could be the mages, or it could be being 12ish.

Also youre just not using Norne as a murder machine, pink hair is power in fire emblem. Also I'm pretty sure you, the player dont get any longbows because I dont remember ever using one.

Also hey Vilk, I'm on a Suikoden series runthrough and I gotta thank you again for giving me the power to just quit 4 and read it instead when I get there.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

vilkacis posted:

:tipshat:

When you think about it, I'm kind of like a jrpg protagonist, enduring all sorts of hardships so that others won't have to suffer.

(Unfortunately, lping runs on something like Final Fantasy II rules, so the only stat gains you get out of it are the ones that make you better at lping. :saddowns:)

((Edit: Or sometimes not even that, obviously. :saddowns:2))

Any plans to flex those stats in the future? My First LP was actually your Suikoden 5 one, when I was playing it 2-3 years ago. I'd love to actually participate in you making one.

To make this slightly more on topic I'll share some knowledge; There is a complete Translation of the Shadow Dragon manga that actually gives the characters a bit of a personality if anyones interested in looking it up. It's based off the original so its lacking copious amounts of Norne and Athena, however.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

I’ve put all of our fliers in because the terrain on this map is a killer.

:getin:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I wonder If I have a shadow dragon save lying around to show off my luck.

Also the Gotoh filters was the best fire emblem lp joke.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Sadly the only Fire Emblem saves I have lying around are my old 6 and 12 ones.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I have no issues whatsoever with desert maps on account of 1/2 of female units being mages and fliers and them being rather late in the game so you have a full team or maybe even more to bench the off chance of a female knight or horsy. If anything the loot makes me like them, so this is by far the worst.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it but when you started this thread I started reading and playing along with your 12 one, and I finally remembered I was doing that so I'm making progress again, chapter 12, most of my people are promoted.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Its not hard to be better than a game with like 20 textboxes for hour of play. Speaking of Fire Emblem 15, who raged over nintendo screwing everyone over on LE's again? I blame Miyamoto.

Also I just got Xane in 12, and after looking closely, I think you cursed me with no magic cuz not a single mage has reached 11 before promotion, not that it matters when I just said screw it and hacked in infinite money and made uber god tomes names after mages I love in stuff.

Get Terminal Fantasy Cancer.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

A bit?

This is the part where a focused run would have a fully promoted team. The average player would be everyone around 16 I guess? That is a level 13 Mercenary in chapter 16 thats been around since chapter 2 and is one of the mainstays. I'm pretty sure Mercenaries are the best combat class overall across the series, so thats really underleveled. Like, I'm amazed that Hippobro is getting past this so underleveled, this is probably as intense as a challenge run can get without being retarded. You say youre bad a the games and I'm just amazed that you are getting past this.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

My mentality is basically 1-20 is the same, while 21-30 count as 2 levels. You can ignore this if you dont have an obsession with even levels

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Hippoman, about how long does it take you to write up a full update (Prep and Battle)?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

LordHippoman posted:

Not counting the time taken playing the game, screenshotting, and then uploading, 1-2 hours depending on the length of the chapter or if I have to look up stuff I'm not sure of.

It was probably like twice that when I first started in FE12, but it's sorta become reflex at this point.

Thats not too bad. I asked because I spent like 3 days trying to set up an LP, finished the OP and just the stress was overwhelming since I'd rather not even start if I didnt finish. And the more I look at Fire Emblem the more I think "This game was made for LPing". So I was thinking It'd probably be the best thing to try to gain experience later on.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

SRPGs, Fire Emblem especially have very blatant stopping points that match with LP parts. Commentary looks alot easier with all the info on the screen at once rather than hidden and in 20 different menus. Serenes exists and gives you access to the vast majority of all the game's scripts, and can help with mechanics chat such as True Hit :argh:, gently caress true hit. So it really does look like the most LP friendly game to me. I'm definitely not belittling your work if it's coming across like that at all.

LordHippoman posted:

I'd probably recommend going for a shorter game for your first LP though, because about halfway through you can start hitting some serious burnout if you aren't really into it. Chapters, like, 14-20 of FE12 were the worst with that for me.

....They make shorter RPGs than Fire Emblem? Pretty sure all the 2D Fire emblems gave me in the 20-30 hour range. Like there's Mimana Iyar Chronicle, but that game is almost universally reviled among the 5 people that played it, including myself, and maybe the very first RPGs.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I uh, Only play RPGs. Its hard to play other genres when youre a story gamer tbh. Anyway thanks for the advice and sorry for the derail. It got us to a new page though so thats nice.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Again thanks for the advice, all three of you. But uh, I feel kind of bad about keeping this derail going, and I keep trying to reply so its just going to spiral out of control or something. So uh, Do you think anyone at IS just gets drunk as hell and decides to tank a unit's growth occasionally?

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Fire Wryslem.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

For the most of them itd be completely feasable, outside of it being imposible to actually tell whos that bad. Im pretty sure Meg is considered the worst unit in 10, bit I somehow had one who could do well in the final chapter. So its basically all luck, I guess you could specifically use whoever has the lowest stats all times but that sounds unfun.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Arnt you essentially forced to atleast partially in 5? Fatigue means you cant just have a team of aspiring demigods, you have to use other nerds too.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Fiona is great, Me and all my FE friends swear by her, I have no clue what Fedule was on in that LP.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

She has a horsy. One of the few horsies I get to use too.
She has great growths.
The absolute least damning thing in any FE is being low level, especially in a bonus exp game.

I'm pretty sure being tanned gives you immense amounts of power in the FE universe too.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

How do you guys play Standard FE(6-12)?

I choose units to use and never ever give anyone else a drop of EXP. Example: Miciah solo's the first few chapters, everyone else meat shields without weapons as appropriate cuz tissue. I also keep levels about even at all times. So I've never experienced what youre talking about.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 15, 2017

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I agree its more fun to watch. And on the topic of benching, Ive never had a chacter turn out bad in the least other than like the 6-8 final pegasus, but i still load them up on stat boosters I have lying around.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I think 12 is undeniably the overall best Fire Emblem. It does all the things that make FE FE without shunning any of them.

10 is the best gameplaywise, but thats at the cost of supports. 13 is the best supportwise, but thats at the cost of gameplay.

13 is actually my favorite but again, story gamer of course I like the one with the most character focus with all the bad jokes. I GROUND OUT EVERY SINGLE MOTHER loving SUPPORT GOD DAMNIT, DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG THAT TAKES? AN ENTIRE 100 HOURS.

My 3DS suddenly started working again so Ill probably try grinding 14 again after 15 assuming 15 doesnt have the mandatory grinding of 13 and 14.

Edit: I hope they bring back the 9/12 support Map # unlocks, combined with grindable maps you unlock at the very end of the game, BAM ALL SUPPORTS UNLOCKED IN 2 HOURS.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 17, 2017

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Yeah, screw that, keeping my numbers.

My philosophy is that the moment an enhanced remake exists with extra story content, the OG gets tossed in the trash and erased from existence. Yes even this games prologue that doesnt exist on hard and gaidens with absurd unlocks you would never see if you played normally count. So if we forced accurate numbers 4 would be the new 1, and thats just asking for confusion. Remakes that cut story content(FE 3's 1, Re: Neptunia) are things I will hate with a passion, and remakes that dont add story content just make me go "meh, why?".

I too decided to Grind supports in the Middle of 14R, That was about when I finally noticed my 3DS turns off at the slightest impact such as taking a drink and putting my hand back on the 3DS. I wasnt feeling many of the supports much either so I just kinda put my 3DS down till DQ8 came out it was still doing it. Fast forward to a week ago and I downloaded some of the bonus items with it and smacked it a bit hard by accident and it didnt turn off, so bam my 3DS fixed itself after a year for some reason. Its a launch 3DS.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Someone hack the games and just give us a full squad of generics to play with.

NO PORTRAITS RUN.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Miacis posted:

You could do an all-Einherjar run in Awakening. They technically have portraits, but they're about as generic and characterless as can be.

That implies I'd play 13 for gameplay instead of grinding all the chick supports. Its really hard to play 13 for gameplay since all the maps are basically just free for alls.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Why is the sword dude using bow analogys, Jorge step up your game.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

WIMP
LAME
AWFUL

OH MY GOD, THID IS REAL, I LOVE THIS!

Im getting my LE in a few hours.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I love the bad jokes more than anything <3. More Shanty Pete please.

Echoes sadly got jipped on the support quantity, really makes the 'optional' characters feel a bit lifeless. But atleast they exist unlike 11 here, and there are alternatives that alleviate alot of the loss, that I absolutely demand continue into 16. Unlike 30 years ago, I think some of the unique changes are a natural progression of the series now that I personally think should be tweaked a bit and kept. Dungeons fit a bit better than just infinite grinding and playing zelda in my FE is fun. Getting to visit towns and see what people think of the wars more often adds alot to the tone. My biggest gripe is with the immense class divide between the auto and manual recruits, especially with Alm's villagers, 2 autojoin and get to comment in basically every plot scene, but the other 2(that I liked more) get absolutely no focus.
My favorite FE is 13 as a Character-Focused Story gamer, but I'm gonna say it's a very good base for combining the new and old styles into a cohesive whole that everyone can hopefully be happy with. Also please stop giving me +1s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I think permadeath is good, but I'd also say it only works with no grinding and a limited support focus. If I have to grind or play stupid to get supports its a problem, if I'm grinding and forget to save for hours and someone dies to an unlucky crit or super monster, then I'm gonna hate the game.

I consider supports much more integral to the series than permadeath so yeah, I say ditch it going forward, or pull a tactics ogre and give characters 3 lives before they permadie.

• Locked thread