Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Part 7: Recovery?

No rest for the righteous. The very evening of Zyla's death, Bear Retrieval is back in the dating game, locking down key connections that could secure the founder's freedom.

Code name "Horchata" will serve as Vox's pro-bono attorney if no better opportunities present themselves.

She is sent to the court house in deep cover. It's important to note that Horchata is still a Conservative at heart--only Bear Retrieval's (F/K/A Malcolm Fiddlebottom) sheer animal magnetism holds the Conservative in sway. If Bear meets his untimely end, we will lose contact with our mole, cutting us off from the Conservative's services and potentially exposing us to a fatal leak.

Meanwhile, Zikan is recruited onto a new Seduction Krew to keep things moving. We need more than just attorneys--we need judges.

But first we need to juice. the gently caress. up. Zikan is too soft; we have a mission in time to build some cred.

OK that sounds a lot more exciting than it was. We sprayed some graffiti on the wall and smashed some corporate artifacts in the adjoining museum. Still, it carries a lot of weight, as the security there isn't exactly light.

Back to the court house. Zikan isn't exactly a heavyweight in the field of persuasion. He does have some success with a sewer worker (Baloogan???) (Unfortunately, the Liberal sewer worker bails after the first meeting.)

Meanwhile Bear Retrieval is making moves. He's rapidly becoming the centerpiece of this operation.

Good work, Bear. Notch one judge on the inside.

Meanwhile, Sharks finally adds something on her end.

Two judges down. The more we can get to the better, and time is rapidly running out.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Part 8: Judgment

Only a couple weeks remain until the trial. We're looking to lock down an attorney with high "Law" and "Persuasion" skills. Sharks immediately alienates an excellent candidate by expressing support for the labor movement.

Bear Retrieval decides to up the tempo. If we can capture, break, and brainwash a Hangin' Judge, we'll have the perfect inside man to secure our founder's release. Step one on that road is getting a talented psychologist on board, as their skills are key in the interrogation and brainwashing process. There doesn't appear to be a single Liberal psychologist in Cleveland these days, so Bear Retrieval asks a Conservative on a date and immediately kidnaps him.

No puppet. No puppet. You're the puppet...master!

The Seduction Krew is on the case.

The Conservative has a lot of heart. This is a good thing--we could easily crush his wisdom and flip him to our side with the Correct psychological assault. We spare no expense.

Unfortunately, the Conservative's training makes him resilient--the very skills for which we took him now shield him from our brainwashing.

The beating helps. But he is now near death, and we can't continue down that avenue. We must persuade him.

The bastard is startlingly resilient.

This continues for some time. We make no progress.

On day 10 of the futile process newspapers report the kidnapping. The heat is intensifying on the safe house and we know the cops will close in eventually.

Bear Retrieval evacuates the essential personnel and leaves Atrocious Jane with the task of executing the Conservative.

Atrocious Jane is untested, and he is not up to it.

Finally, finally, he gets the job done.

Atrocious Jane is assigned the task of disposing of the body. This goes poorly. Again, unsurprising, as Jane is one of the greenest of our comrades

Fortunately Atrocious Jane is talented in other ways--this is why we sought out a professional dancer. He makes a clean escape.

The remaining members rent an apartment to hide away at while the heat cools off. If Vox eats a conviction, things could take a rapid turn for the worse.

Suddenly, trial day is upon us. Turns out there were a few more charges than we expected. We have a pretty solid attorney, Not a Step, on the inside.

COME ON COME ON

YES. Not a Step comes through. We weren't even able to get one of our sleeper judges on the case, so he pulled it off with sheer legal moxie.

Expenditures were pretty steep this month, but we achieved our ultimate goal: Vox is here with us again, and we're ready to strike back.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 08:22 on Nov 22, 2016

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

this game is nuts what the heck

I want to be a radical leftist sleeper dwarf

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I appreciate that I have by far the least chance of following someone to our mutual deaths

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

This looks hilarious. I was almost tempted to DL myself but if this is anything like dwarf fortress I'll stick to enjoying a LP rather than learning every tiny miniscule detail while repeatedly being shot to death while vandalizing in the name of LIBERALISM.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
This game gets me.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

How did I manage to be a competent lawyer? We didn't even have a bought judge! Must have been my time on mock trial.

I was fully expecting to be the cause of the the downfall of the LCS.

How did I get recruited? Was I another of BRU's flips?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Not a Step posted:

How did I manage to be a competent lawyer? We didn't even have a bought judge! Must have been my time on mock trial.

I was fully expecting to be the cause of the the downfall of the LCS.

How did I get recruited? Was I another of BRU's flips?

Your character is a strongly liberal attorney flipped by way of the propagandizing meetings rather than seduction or brainwashing. I did a ton of those meetings so many of them don't get a screenshot. I believe Bear Retrieval Unit is your primary contact, but that matters a bit less than it does with the seduced sleepers.

You have good stats, so our odds weren't bad. I basically worked my way up the ladder with sleeper skill level and you were the best we had (of course an even better attorney bailed out from under Karla Barks). The prosecution tends to be much stronger for violent crimes and especially murder than for theft, but it was definitely a crapshoot.

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 10:16 on Nov 22, 2016

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Your character is a strongly liberal attorney flipped by propagandizing meetings rather than seduction or brainwashing. I believe Bear Retrieval Unit is your primary contact, but that matters a bit less than it does with the seduced sleepers.

You have good stats, so our odds weren't bad. I basically worked my way up the ladder with sleeper skill level and you were the best we had (of course an even better attorney bailed out from under Karla Barks). The prosecution tends to be much stronger for violent crimes and especially murder than for theft, but it was definitely a crapshoot.

I cannot adequately express my joy at my character being a liberal female likely-POC lawyer.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
This might be the best game I've ever seen.

If you need a professional vandal to get some sweet abstraction into the LF, hit me up.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

lol i died like a fuckin' conservative bitch

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Vox Nihili posted:

The martyr's body is disposed of.

ChickenOfTomorrow has issued a correction as of 14:39 on Nov 22, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i enjoy liberals and also crimes, sign me up

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Liberate me, comrade. "Glyph" is good.

Love this game, definitely my favorite of Tarns stuff.

Ar you planning on a music squad to win hearts and minds? If so, I volunteer to be its founder, if not then add me as whatever.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

WARNING: The scope of this game is narrower than that of real life. We have attempted to include foul language, graphic violence, politics, religion, sexual references, adult situations, narcotics, prostitution, bodily functions and bad pickup lines, but Bay 12 Games recognizes that there might be omissions which will make some players uncomfortable. In light of these facts, use your discretion when making decisions about downloading LCS.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

Wow I'm brutal

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
I wish to fight for the revolution comrade

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
i never realized how much a needed a militant far-left text based soap opera game in my life...thank you OP :redhammer:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Which version are you playing and where can I get it? It seems more updated than the multi-city beta that I have.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Which version are you playing and where can I get it? It seems more updated than the multi-city beta that I have.

I am playing 4.07, which is the latest version on the wiki and the latest version with a stickied thread on the Bay 12 forums. I believe the multi-city stuff is actually from a later release. I didn't venture into the sticks with all of the latest mini releases and betas, but I know there is a 4.10 version out there. The stuff beyond 4.07 may be less stable and more buggy, also could have balance issues--not that the 4.07 release is likely to be truly balanced in any real way.

Here are the forums where people still talk about this game:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?board=3.0

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan

Atrocious Joe posted:

Wow I'm brutal

completely badass

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Atrocious Joe posted:

Wow I'm brutal

wow! i can get conservative too

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?
drat. Sign me up for the revolution.

Also, I like that there were a 53y/o music critic and 50y/o teacher hanging outside of a courthouse trying to pick up some strange while packing heat. Adding to that, one of these was quite successful at it.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Part 9: Dignity Reclaimed

With the founder back in the fold, our rag-tag band of misfits and would-be heroes is finally back at fighting strength. Indeed, even though Vox's trial had a fortunate outcome, the sentiment at the cramped apartment building is one of smoldering, barely-contained anger. The invalid, renegade klepto-state took our leader, they took our freedom, even if "only" for a few weeks--it's the ultimate insult. It's time to lash out. All of our hardened (or close to hardened) veterans form up for some Revolutionary Retribution.

We pack heat. We "disguise" ourselves in the working man's attire. We show up to destroy some capital.

The mission proceeds flawlessly. The heavy equipment at the auto plant, weighing almost as much in capital as it does in pounds, lies in ruins. But it's not enough. We need to strike harder, higher, smarter. It's time to get vicious.

We rearm, retool, and make our way over to the nearest AM radio station. They've poisoned the airwaves long enough.

As we prepare to enter it dawns on us that Atrocious Jane isn't going to be able to pass as an "innocent" civilian while wielding his new axe. But we've waited long enough, time to make our move.

Almost immediately Marx smiles upon us. Just as we start walking down the hall we run into an eminent AM radio show personality, Jim "America First" Storms. He's accompanied by one of the corporate managers and a couple of lickspittles. This is an opportunity. We probably aren't going to make too many covert inroads with Jane openly twirling a large axe directly in front of them.

So we decide to take Jimmy boy along with us. Let's see how his compatriots respond!

Ha! Their loyalty is paper-thin. Thinner than the currency they worship.

Looks like that manager may have dropped something in his hurry to make a quick exit. Notch another one for justice. These papers could come in handy when we get our less covert front established and start publishing.

An appropriate name for a sweaty, rotund male-gendered leech.

The A team gets to work on the leech while a few other fresh recruits continue with their liberation education. Lemming does what he does best--a yet-unhailed hero. Our operation would be broke within days without him. From each according to ability.

At the last minute one of our somewhat established recruits joins in for the Process. We suit up in accordance with the social strata.

Bear Retrieval leads--one of our finest, and a quick learner in psychology. The ultra-Con firebrand is as "wise" as Bear is bold. A well-matched battle of wits and will.

The lessons begin. This is a high order.

The lessons continue. Day 2 and Bear Retrieval has already scored valuable intel.

Day 3, the beatings end, but the mind games intensify.

In the midst of this, one of the recruits, ChickenOfTomorrow, is almost caught during their baptismal operations. She's no slouch.

There is a reason we recruit a certain type of person for these operations.

Day 4 of the Process. Real progress, real hope.

Day 5. The chains come off.

Bear Retrieval is mother & father.

By day 6 the bigot has been rebuilt. His mind may never be perfect, but in less than a week he has been made human again.

He'll be a valuable asset.

Now he'll offer the People truth rather than Conservative venom and lies.

Not a day has passed and our team is back in the field. We head for American Bank Corporation and seize a manager on his way out the doors. Just as we're about to cram back into our vehicle (the trick is that Karla rides in the trunk) we stumble across another glowing opportunity. Karla has her pistol against the bankster's back, but we're able to talk the security guard away--as you know, Conservatives are none too bright.

Bear Retrieval makes his move. We bagged two today--one of them the local ultra-Con news anchor, Clarity Ransom.

Chocolate Chunk could be a good source of income if this goes well.

And Clarity could live up to her name if we break & remake her like we did Storms. For now she's Redneck Nazgul.

All hand's on deck! We didn't expect to be doing this much reeducation, but we are by necessity beholden to opportunity. Lemming, just keep doing your thing.

Bear Retrieval starts in on Redneck. He knows what he's doing and doesn't miss a beat. One of the truly brilliant minds of our generation tbqh.

Karla works on Chocolate Chunk. She's no Bear, but we have high hopes--Chocolate isn't as difficult a project as codename Redneck.

On day 3, Karla takes things too far. God. loving. drat IT KARLA!!! He's a bank manager not a loving street fighter you maniac. There's a reason his codename is CHOCOLATE CHUNK not loving MAN OF STEEL, JESUS CHRIST.

The reeducation of codename Redneck continues. Bear makes some uh, interesting choices. But we don't question it, he has know-how that we lack. Through constant self-criticism, education, and struggle perhaps some day the rest of us might hope to match Bear Retrieval's talent in breaking down the Conservative Mind.

By day 5 Bear extracts intel from the ultra-Con.

By day 6 he's done it again. Another conversion in less than a week. The man is an inspiration.

Codename Redneck will finally do some good with her life.

She will be even more effective than codename Man Musk. Next time the Liberal Crime Squad strikes the people will find the coverage to be a bit different than what they've grown accustomed to.

After that flurry of action it's back to the daily grind for most of us. Except Jane, she's tasked with cleaning up Karla's loving mess. It might be one's first impulse to "punish" Karla by assigning her the task of disposing of the bank manager's body. This is Incorrect. Karla is more effective in other tasks, and her redemption will come, as always, through self-criticism, reflection, and struggle. Jane's talented are best suited to evading police detection, so she does the deed without so much as a comment. Real efficiency occurs when each member of society contributes in the way they know best.

ChickenOfTomorrow digs up some numbers. It looks like we've had some effect, but other national news stories have likely done more to shape the opinions of society.

Eventually we push out to grab another bank manager. It is seamless now. Bear Retrieval gets right to work. We wonder briefly if this is Chocolate Chunk's replacement.

By day 5 Bear has everything.

It remains to be seen if Kim Deal will provide the sort of cash flow we're hoping for. Regardless, we can always rely on Lemming.

These few weeks have gone quite well. We have a strong foundation. It's time to build in both directions: Toward establishing our civilian front and toward hardening a militant core for some honest-to-god guerrilla revolutionary action. Our current champions will expand our chapters. Our best minds will reach out w/ feelers. Forever onward.

Here are a few of our newer recruits that haven't yet had a moment in the spotlight:

Gank Mid. We brought her on board mostly for her charisma, heart, & persuasion--hopefully she'll be another solid leader in time. We can always use another Bear Retrieval *side-glance & subtle shake of head at Karla Barks*

Bushiz came off the streets knowing exactly what her job here would entail. She will focus on seducing important targets once she's up to speed.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
PS This Dude Fucks

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Mr Fiddlebottom is a wonderful man

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

im so dead

this sucks

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Michael Bayleaf posted:

Mr Fiddlebottom is a wonderful man

I believe in Fiddlebottom

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
I'm incredibly curious about Mr Fiddlebottom's top ten albums.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

You made me watch Bible Black?

...I mean, it's for a good cause. :sigh:

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Nice

That's me, I'm the human, and I'm coming

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
:rip:

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Clearly you should have followed me into ADTRW rather than the Punchsport Pagoda. :rip:

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I wanna do some damage, put me in coach.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

low charisma, drives a sports car. it me, baby.

Vox - I know in DF there's insane levels of detail, e.g. stats for cat tongue length or a dorf's affinity for cheese; does LCS have that sort of detail?

ChickenOfTomorrow has issued a correction as of 22:17 on Jan 21, 2017

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
This is Great. Toss me in.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Karla Sharks is a god drat menace.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

low charisma, drives a sports car, does data science for the progressive cause. it me, baby.

Vox - I know in DF there's insane levels of detail, e.g. stats for cat tongue length or a dorf's affinity for cheese; does LCS have that sort of detail?

Unfortunately, LCS doesn't have the enormous depth of personality details that exists in DF, so we can't for example look up Mr. Fiddlebottom's favorite type of guillotine. There is a ton of detail in the injury system (keeps track of eyes, teeth, etc.) and in character stats, though. The injury system especially will become relevant as poo poo Gets Real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Vox Nihili posted:

PS This Dude Fucks

Also I'm the music critic with 3/15 in music.

• Locked thread