Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

redneck nazgul posted:

You made me watch Bible Black?

...I mean, it's for a good cause. :sigh:

Look, it's pretty obvious your adherence to Conservative values had way more to do with unrealized potential than anything else. Some high test LSD put you at ease is all.

Citizen Tangent reporting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

LF lives

:anarchists:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

low charisma, drives a sports car, does data science for the progressive cause. it me, baby.

Vox - I know in DF there's insane levels of detail, e.g. stats for cat tongue length or a dorf's affinity for cheese; does LCS have that sort of detail?

Is 12 Charisma low in this game? Seems pretty high tbqh.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Is 12 Charisma low in this game? Seems pretty high tbqh.

CoT has four (4) charisma, which is right at the very bottom of what's possible at the Activist rank (add'l juice--->add'l ranks--->small stat boosts to all stats).

12 would be extremely high (Bear Retrieval currently has 12, the suave gently caress).

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Put me on the list of potential recruits. This game is amazing.

And not apparently available for MacOS, which makes me sad.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

CoT has four (4) charisma, which is right at the very bottom of what's possible at the Activist rank (add'l juice--->add'l ranks--->small stat boosts to all stats).

12 would be extremely high (Bear Retrieval currently has 12, the suave gently caress).

He also has 15 Heart, which seems probably near the top. Pity about his Wisdom though....

But yea I'm sad I only have my Macbook with me, I'd love to play this over thanksgiving. Will be following however. Thanks Vox!

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 07:55 on Nov 24, 2016

Meat Waffle
Apr 2, 2011
Hello comrades,

I see a couple of you have Macbooks and want to play. I had no problem compiling it on mine using the instructions in the Github repo. That is version 4.10.0 so it has some changes from the version in this thread but so far I haven't had any problems.

The instructions suggest using Homebrew but I personally prefer Macports because it keeps everything you install with it separate from the system so it's less likely to cause problems. Homebrew is really popular but I don't know why because it is bad. Macports works great and is just better, use it.

Try this if you want to play on your Macbook:

1) Install Macports using their excellent guide: https://www.macports.org/install.php
2) Open a terminal and run the following command to install git which you will need to check out the source code and the requirements to compile the game:
code:
 sudo port install git libsdl2 libsdl2_mixer automake 
3) Check out the source code for the game:
code:
 git clone https://github.com/Kamal-Sadek/Liberal-Crime-Squad.git 
4)
code:
 cd Liberal-Crime-Squad 
5)
code:
 ./bootstrap 
6)
code:
 LIBS="/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib" 
7)
code:
 ./configure 
8)
code:
 make 
9) Run the game (you have to be in the Liberal-Crime-Squad/ directory for this to work):
code:
 ./src/crimesquad  
10) Forsake your conservative family and fight to further the Liberal Agenda!

Github repo: https://github.com/Kamal-Sadek/Liberal-Crime-Squad
Github compile instructions: https://github.com/Kamal-Sadek/Liberal-Crime-Squad/blob/master/COMPILE_README.txt

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

Also I'm the music critic with 3/15 in music.

So a music critic?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Part 10: Amateur Hour

We're focusing on expanding our ranks and getting our newbies up to speed. We add Chicken and Gank to the squad and roll out.

At Zedner Park. The Authorities keep closing corporate parks as we cover them with LF LIVES graffiti. This is the latest target. Hopefully we'll get stumble onto some fresh talent on top of getting our message out here.

College libertarians aren't generally prime targets for recruitment, but Vox is eager to pick apart contradictions.

Karla steps up and immediately falls short, as per usual.

This doctor would be a prime recruit, unfortunately he doesn't give a poo poo about racism.

But bizarrely enough, the adjacent army vet is interested in hearing about the impact of sexism. People always find a way to surprise.

Zikan gets some work in. We've had luck with music critics--why not art critics? Does an elevated understanding of aesthetics unite right-thinkers? We'll see!

Lawyers are VERY sensitive to the whole "we're being worked to death" issue. [I should know.]

Karla is as bold as she is bumbling.

This could be a solid pickup, hot drat.

Gank gets to work with Part Two of the park stratagem.

Some rich rear end in a top hat starts yelling at us for spraying LF LIVES over old gang tags. Whatever, fella! We mosey on home at this point.

Our minor action gets a 3rd page mention. We're a p. big deal at this point, IMO.

Glad we went for this guy, those are some nice stats & skills.

We also brought in a few of those "neutral" veterans for some chit-chat. Honestly, anyone who spent time in the army without turning into a murderous bigot is probably pretty chill.

Bushiz subs in for Karla for the next Action (don't worry she wasn't left on foot, we put her in the sports car after this).

We're rolling out to a local den of degeneracy, looking to find allies and chase out enemies.

Some of the denizens take offense at our presence, and our outreach sours. We continue on.

We stumble onto some harder types. Vox steps up.

They step back.

We leave our mark. Conservatives not welcome here.

Another run-in, this time with a few of them. Vox lets them know that they're no longer welcome here.

Most of them scram. One of the remaining fellows is apparently disturbed and doesn't realize what he's gotten himself into. He opens fire! Jane is unimpressed. Dancers, man.

Our only safe option is to put the pathetic Conservative down. It's not ideal, but we're not not risking the life of a worthy revolutionary today.

Jane finishes the job.

We do collect some objects of value, at least. We clear out at this point, silently.

The notorious drug den empties out permanently. The police pressure is heavy after the unfortunate bout of violence, but this place will eventually be a viable safehouse for us.

Unfortunately, all six of our squad members were witnessed and are now wanted for the killing. It's a lovely way to pick up a serious charge, but at least we got everyone home safe.

Another round of recruitment chats. Zikan brings a reformed gang member on board. This guy's outlook will improve after a week or so of volunteer work.

Michael Bayleaf is born. He has a long way to go.

We also pick up that art critic, who does indeed have a lot to offer.. Snugglecakes joins up.

Zikan is our resident tailor. We have some work attire queued up for some planned operations.

We go for another quick sortie for recruitment, etc., no biggie. This time we head for the bourgie apartment complex. Another critic? HELL YEAH

We scoot along casually. Too casually. gently caress, that was a misstep. One of our fresher members takes a bullet. Is everyone carrying a loving .38 these days?

Gank isn't looking too hot. We need to get out of here.

We make it, and avoid a big, pointless hit to our ranks. A consensus is reached: we will lie low for a few days and care for our injured member. At least our neophyte combat surgeons will get some valuable real world experience! Everyone gets to work at home.

Looks like the public is up to speed. Not sure if we want to be quite this notorious yet, but we'll survive.

Jane is accosted by pigs for trying to play music in public. This is sick. OK, maybe they recognized him as the subject of a murder investigation. Speculation.

Regardless, the fat, sweaty pigs aren't catching Jane today.

Another recruit. Qwazes joins up--he has a lot to offer. I expect he'll have an interesting life with us.

A question for our readers--should we recruit this guy? Combat veteran with a variety of skills, but he's one of those "independents" you occasionally hear about. His heart seems to be in the right place...

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
If they're not dyed green liberal, they're bourgey scum.

The split wars will be viscous enough as it is.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Anti nuclear and gun control are stupid stances anyway, so chances are he's smarter than most of your team.

Also ironic or non, tankie bs like 'purge the trots' got old in 1939.

E: Enough pedantry however, I'm in for some bagging and tagging of the cultural revolution kind.

Playstation 4 has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Nov 24, 2016

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'm in, LF LIVES MATTER

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Death to capitalist oppressors, up with Grover Furr! I pledge my life and sacred honor to the LCS!

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Even in video games I'm a slightly retarded punk

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
I offer my services to the LCS. All shall see the light of anime and marxism.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Part 10, Section 2: Brief "Stuff Happened" Update

The Supreme Court acts. Two 5-4 decisions in favor of the Conservative outcome. One positive 6-3 decision wherein SCOTUS rejected FULL FASCISM NOW or something.

Monthly accounting summary for May. We're still trying to diversify our sources of income. Bushiz brought in some good money with her own unique methodology, but Lemming was again the source of almost 90% of our funds. Qwazes tried to sell some ~edibles~ but somehow managed to net only $24. We suspect he may have eaten most of the brownies himself.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Why is protecting rights in red?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

Why is protecting rights in red?

That SCOTUS decision allowed automatic weapons to be bought and sold freely. No licensing, background checks, etc.

Peep some of the other stuff going on. FLAT TAX!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Vox Nihili posted:

That SCOTUS decision allowed automatic weapons to be bought and sold freely. No licensing, background checks, etc.

Peep some of the other stuff going on. FLAT TAX!

While I could troll, I'll refrain and just say:

It sounds like the liberal crime squad needs to upgrade their armament.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Also, in case it isn't entirely clear, LCS was designed to parody both the right and the left. A lot of it has been lost in the many layers of updates piled onto the original, but Tarn had a lot of incisive commentary packed into the game. You can read it in the phrasing of many of the issues. Making sure people were "terrified" of nuclear power was one of the goals, for example.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

It sounds like the liberal crime squad needs to upgrade their armament.

We really do! Moving to arch-conservative gun laws mean that literally everyone can be packing heat--it has a substantial in-game impact. Even judges will be toting handguns under their robes now! It's insane!

On the plus side, ye olde gun shop now has all sorts of Good poo poo available for purchase. Accelerationism is paying dividends~

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo! This game owns.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
can i just play this game with god mode so i can fantasize about my effortless revolution forever

BoredDG
Aug 10, 2013

I would like to join, preferably writing for the newspaper and not being shot

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Having been involved in a Trot group in real life I would prefer to be shot rather than do anything with the newspaper.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

BoredDG posted:

I would like to join, preferably writing for the newspaper and not being shot

namesake posted:

Having been involved in a Trot group in real life I would prefer to be shot rather than do anything with the newspaper.

you can always do both tbf

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

namesake posted:

just this stabbing pain in my head

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Powercrazy posted:

Holy poo poo! This game owns.

True dat. The pickup lines get pretty funny once pre-marital sex is outlawed, too.

Sign me up for something, chief.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Armalites for everyone!

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
Reporting in to commit liberal crimes as part of a squad please n thx

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Even if I die, the revolution lives

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
gotta share this thing my son made:

inspired by this thread

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
Fuckin my way to the Supreme Court

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I want to be retrieved and set on a glorious liberal crusade.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I'm in Las Vegas right now and it has only served to strengthen my revolutionary resolve

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I might've missed or misunderstood something from earlier, but what's the main means of making progress toward your goal of getting the laws changed to elite liberal? Will you eventually be kidnapping supreme court justices and the President (from Cleveland, I guess) or can you win by influencing public perception with revolutionary actions like smashing factories and staging attacks?

Could you play entirely pacifist and win through some kind of public/media channel, or do you need kidnappings and killings to progress?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

asked Jill Stein, nervously

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Dolash posted:

I might've missed or misunderstood something from earlier, but what's the main means of making progress toward your goal of getting the laws changed to elite liberal? Will you eventually be kidnapping supreme court justices and the President (from Cleveland, I guess) or can you win by influencing public perception with revolutionary actions like smashing factories and staging attacks?

Could you play entirely pacifist and win through some kind of public/media channel, or do you need kidnappings and killings to progress?

So, you don't ever actually attack national political figures or anything like that. The only way you win the game is if Elite Liberals win elections in the House and Senate, eventually replacing the Supreme Court (there's an option to allow a constitutional amendment to pack the court so you don't have to play an extra 40 years once you win the executive and legislative branches).

The way Elite Liberals win elections is based on popular opinion -- which has a few settings in terms of how it starts but its general trajectory is to keep getting more Conservative. The LCS can affect public opinion in a lot of different ways (like smashing factories and staging attacks) -- and yes, you can play a completely pacifist or law-abiding (different things!) play through and still win the game. Success is far from guaranteed though, in such a playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
And just because you are peaceful and law abiding doesnt mean the other guys will be. You can still expect there to be blood, even if you are committed to the blood being your own, for most realistic pacifist strategies

• Locked thread