Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Let's just all leave North America and try it again, pretend the first time never happened.

All my stuff is here. Gonna have to decline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

RBC posted:

lol what the gently caress are you talking about. obama already stepped in and stoped construction and ordered the corps to do a new environmental assessement. he did that directly after the court threw out the injunction

the corps are finishing up their new assessment and the Dakota pipeline company seems to have gone to court again, and all the while the protesters demand more presidential intervention. im not going to take a side here but it's important to understand what processes led to the unfortunate rioting happening rn. you should chill out and take a calm look at what led to this

Bolton Hairy-Bore
Jul 31, 2013

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

you should chill out and take a calm look at what led to this

genocide, 400 years of settler colonialism, the continuous reign of white supremacy, civilization's thirst for resources, capital's imperative for profit, the state's violent enforcement of all these things through policing

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

genocide, 400 years of settler colonialism, the continuous reign of white supremacy, civilization's thirst for resources, capital's imperative for profit, the state's violent enforcement of all these things through policing

that's great, now that you have that out of your system maybe we can get down to the specifics that actually have the power to change things, like the legal process in question, instead of fuming about generalisations that are utterly outside of our control and throwing rocks at policemen

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
There is no rioting happening. The local police are violently attacking peaceful protestors with water cannons and grenades.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Agean90 posted:

yeah didn't they basically sit on there rear end for the entire period where they could file a complaint about it?

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

this cannot possibly be true as the tribe leaders managed to file several appeals as far as I'm aware

there's something not quite right here, but I can't put my finger on it

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Fiction posted:

There is no rioting happening. The local police are violently attacking peaceful protestors with water cannons and grenades.

im glad of it, but unless you decide to build a fort in the way of the pipeline and live there for the rest of your days sitting on someone else's property still won't change v much, but maybe campaigning with people like ACLU and other organisations might prevent such a thing from happening again

Bill Buckner
Aug 14, 2005
The police should use more water cannons to freeze the protesters and then we can just thaw them out like cavemen once the pipeline is done.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

im glad of it, but unless you decide to build a fort in the way of the pipeline and live there for the rest of your days sitting on someone else's property still won't change v much, but maybe campaigning with people like ACLU and other organisations might prevent such a thing from happening again

Building a fort on someone else's property is a proud American tradition and should be respected as a form of speech

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

the corps are finishing up their new assessment and the Dakota pipeline company seems to have gone to court again, and all the while the protesters demand more presidential intervention. im not going to take a side here but it's important to understand what processes led to the unfortunate rioting happening rn. you should chill out and take a calm look at what led to this

not taking sides here guys

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Misguided Native peoples: "The laws the white man has imposed upon us have continually been written, re-written, and ignored in order to marginalize, exclude, and torment our tribes."

Me, an enlightened internet person: "Okay but I'm just saying maybe if you went through the proper channels people would start to take you seriously."

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

yeah I dunno I mean I don't claim to have the whole picture but it seems that all of the land has been bought from private landowners

By "don't claim to have the whole picture" I take it you mean that you're going to completely ignore how the land came to belong to those "private landowners" in the first place?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Fiction posted:

Seriously, the ND government has been saying that protesters have been making bombs out of propane tanks. If that had happened, you'd have dozens of dead police officers. It's classic pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

Bolton Hairy-Bore posted:

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

that's great, now that you have that out of your system maybe we can get down to the specifics that actually have the power to change things, like the legal process in question, instead of fuming about generalisations that are utterly outside of our control and throwing rocks at policemen

obviously everything before 2 years ago is totally irrelevant and everything happening now is totally irrelevant, but everything between those two points is super relevant and something we should pay a lot of attention to

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
we should all calm down and take a look at how we got here, but not in the sense of actually doing that, just in the sense of i'm going to cherry-pick a couple of events and ignore everything else

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

30.5 Days posted:

i'm going to cherry-pick a couple of events and ignore everything else

Can we rename D&D this?

So only a few days before the army starves out the actual protesters. The rest will have long gone as soon as they see they will have to sacrifice. Sooo...do the water cannons "accidentally" get turned on before then? Maybe one last push? Or will it just be silent until weeks from now there's a small byline about the last of the protesters leaving/hospitalized out of there?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Thr protesters should be vocally pro-trump, that way nobody will know what to do

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!
Actually I was wrong. The governor's office said today they will not be blocking resupply so in theory this protest could go on for infinity.

Let's hope at Christmas the protesters and the army/officers get together and exchange gifts and food, just for one day. It could be a great film decades from now. Or part of a list on a Cracked.com article.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

agreed, let the white man decide once and for all how to answer the native question

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

look im not racist, i just call the cold dispassionate facts as i see them, and the facts are that the negroid skull is clearly

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

look im not racist, i just call the cold dispassionate facts as i see them, and the facts are that the negroid skull is clearly

Where do you even get a degree in phrenology now that ITT Tech is kill?

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

all those protestors should instead go somewhere and build a bunch of solar arrays and wind generators and nuke plants instead of trying to blockade the inevitable supply of one of the resources that their own lifestyles necessitate

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i haven't donme much research but am i in the clear to be outraged about this but drive a vehicle that gets 14mpg?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

jarofpiss posted:

i haven't donme much research but am i in the clear to be outraged about this but drive a vehicle that gets 14mpg?

Driving up the price of oil transport will in the long run make less people drive so it really is a win win.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer
No easement for you!

~M. Night Shyamalan

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

im picturing the pipeline ceo guy and the chief of police throwing huge tantrums over this & and its pretty satisfying

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OMGVBFLOL posted:

im picturing the pipeline ceo guy and the chief of police throwing huge tantrums over this & and its pretty satisfying

the Sioux will probably be able to replace their water supply with the river of tears that's already started

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

they're just delaying approval to do an environmental impact study, like in that one season of parks and rec. it's also entirely possible that if everyone goes home the company will just build the pipeline anyway and pay whatever incredibly marginal fine they'll be subjected to. this is at best delaying what will almost certainly be inevitable under trump

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Yeah I'm not sure what Obama can really do to stop an incoming President Trump from getting this pipeline built next spring. At most this might get give the less invested (and, by our racist society's standard, more news worthy) protesters to go home once the winter really hits.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Any kind of delay and chilling effect on pipeline construction is a win for the protestors. It will cost the company money and influence future construction planning by other companies. They don't have to completely & forever stop the pipeline construction. The struggle continues..

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Boss Hogg & Roscoe

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

Yeah I'm not sure what Obama can really do to stop an incoming President Trump from getting this pipeline built next spring. At most this might get give the less invested (and, by our racist society's standard, more news worthy) protesters to go home once the winter really hits.
the payment for oil delivery is based on contracts already signed, which depended on the price of oil at the time of signing. Since then the price of oil has dropped - should the company fail to meet the deadline, it loses profit on that and any extra charges incurred

it's going to be massively expensive

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
i think the contracts expire in about a month fyi

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
but i said this in the D&D thread - my heart goes out to the protestors, they should get some kind of insurance or something, in case of a spill, but the simple material reality is that the world economy is dependent on oil and pipelines are legit the safest way to move them, w.r.t the cost to human life.

having said that, the natives should at least be guaranteed mad $$$ in case of a spill, which oil companies have historically not exactly been willing to part with

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

rudatron posted:

but i said this in the D&D thread - my heart goes out to the protestors, they should get some kind of insurance or something, in case of a spill, but the simple material reality is that the world economy is dependent on oil and pipelines are legit the safest way to move them, w.r.t the cost to human life.

having said that, the natives should at least be guaranteed mad $$$ in case of a spill, which oil companies have historically not exactly been willing to part with

whoa man, it's almost like that's exactly how the system is supposed to work but oil companies exploit legal loopholes and other slimy tactics to weasel out of any recompense for spills and had already been blatantly and successfully ignoring legal precedent when constructing the pipeline through Native burial grounds and cultural sites

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

rudatron posted:

lmfao at the idea of oil companies being held accountable for anything

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

rudatron posted:

The specific length of pipeline that such insurance might protect would be independently incorporated and immediately bankrupt upon incorporation, meaning the legal entity responsible for paying such a settlement would have no assets to liquidate to honor that responsibility. Almost all heavy industrial equipment business works that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

VectorSigma posted:

all those protestors should instead go somewhere and build a bunch of solar arrays and wind generators and nuke plants instead of trying to blockade the inevitable supply of one of the resources that their own lifestyles necessitate

honestly can't tell if you are talking about clean drinking water or have news of some strange pro-fossil fuels protestors

• Locked thread