Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is

nigga crab pollock posted:

its pretty incredible how the democratic party has continued to alienate their supporters going forward

ive already been called a nazi for having a trump banner on twitter the movement has already jumped the shark a couple times

Because if you look at the history of the party you will see that defeating the left is a higher priority than winning against Republicans to the party elites, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Cops are just trying to feed their families too

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

its pretty incredible how the democratic party has continued to alienate their supporters going forward

I really just think that it's because both parties are ruled by Olds who don't understand that we live in an age where voters are actually informed by poo poo other than what CNN or MSNBC or even FOX News tells them. They don't even realize that the internet is a thing that's never going away and that people can talk with each other about how lovely a candidate is. But to be fair, a lot of the people using the internet also don't realize that "LIKE"ing Bernie Sanders on Facebook or hashtagging him on Twitter doesn't mean he gets the nomination.

Trump won because he had the support of people who both were familiar with the internet and who knew that you had to go out and vote. Memes were spread, and people voted for the guy who wasn't a rictus-grinning corporate handpuppet. I mean, I loving hate Trump as a person and he's appointing Literal Goddamned Nazis to his cabinet but he at least knew how to win an election in these modern times. The old ways don't work anymore, and the Democrats need to get their poo poo together or face two terms of Trump.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

What these idiots should be doing is petitioning the EPA for more rigid environmental standards and maintanance outposts. What they are doing is giving the companies building this poo poo the right to not listen to anything. You could literally get more people behind overhauling the EPA in a loving phish lot than they have at this protest. If you want your tax and spend bullshit don't support foreign military acquisition of oil, support an organization that can make standards and hold companies accountable. And don't make a loving spectacle at a jobsite where people are just trying to work to feed their kids.

The protesters were trying to remove a roadblock that cut off emergency vehicle access to native lands. The cops hosed them down to keep the roadblock in place. They aren't near a job site.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zorodius posted:

The protesters were trying to remove a roadblock that cut off emergency vehicle access to native lands. The cops hosed them down to keep the roadblock in place. They aren't near a job site.

emergency vehicles which were promised to arrive 3 weeks ago btw lmao

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

King Vidiot posted:

I really just think that it's because both parties are ruled by Olds who don't understand that we live in an age where voters are actually informed by poo poo other than what CNN or MSNBC or even FOX News tells them. They don't even realize that the internet is a thing that's never going away and that people can talk with each other about how lovely a candidate is. But to be fair, a lot of the people using the internet also don't realize that "LIKE"ing Bernie Sanders on Facebook or hashtagging him on Twitter doesn't mean he gets the nomination.

all of the old democrats thought having a stranglehold on CNN and MSNBC, controlling the mainstream media, would win them the election

all of the millenial democrats thought sharing vox.com articles and calling you a misogynist, controlling internet media, would win them the election

trump supporters thought convincing people that the other candidate was bad would win them the election

well...

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

trump supporters thought convincing people that the other candidate was bad would win them the election

They didn't really need to do any convincing she was

social vegan
Nov 7, 2014

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it's pretty hosed up that on thanksgiving, they are gonna televise the dakota pipeline being forced on the redskins.

blame chicago for normalizing this behaviour

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

They started their smear campaign in the 90s and never let up so that really helped

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
also for you people who are going "I don't get it, the pipeline isn't in reservation territory?"

the pipeline runs over land that was reservation land as per treaty agreement which we then violated and seized illegally because gently caress you.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I mean, honestly, anything with "grenade" in its name is gonna ruin your day.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

...and the pitch! posted:

They started their smear campaign in the 90s and never let up so that really helped

In light of this new info I suggest we not run the smeared candidate. This election is too important to risk it.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
Going to be the devils advocate here

TBH, this pipeline is probably good for the environment if anything, right now we're transporting this crude over rail, and rail accidents of bakken crude oil have led to 1.15 million gallons of crude being spilled and going into rivers and ground water, and also transporting this stuff in old rear end pipelines that were created way before we had good testing standards, welding procedures and x-ray testing of welds. Almost all pipeline leaks have occured from vandalism or poor welds because the dang things were made 50+ years ago. Ofc we should be working towards clean energy, but it's not going to be an overnight transition from fossil fuel to renewables and battery powered everything, so until then maybe we should work on transporting crude as safely as possible, and ending subsidies for the oil industry, just my opinion!

Although I totally agree seizing land from the reservation was bad and digging trenches through burial grounds was a huge fuckup, they shoulda just routed the pipe around the dang place.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

EAB posted:

TBH, this pipeline is probably good for the environment if anything, right now we're transporting this crude over rail, and rail accidents of bakken crude oil have led to 1.15 million gallons of crude being spilled and going into rivers and ground water, and also transporting this stuff in old rear end pipelines that were created way before we had good testing standards, welding procedures and x-ray testing of welds. Almost all pipeline leaks have occured from vandalism or poor welds because the dang things were made 50+ years ago. Ofc we should be working towards clean energy, but it's not going to be an overnight transition from fossil fuel to renewables and battery powered everything, so until then maybe we should work on transporting crude as safely as possible, and ending subsidies for the oil industry, just my opinion!

Screw that, make oil more expensive so there is more incentive to invest in alternate technologies. Leaks have also occurred because maintenance is shockingly shoddy because it is cheaper to just pay the EPA fine than actually deal with maintaining 1800 miles or whatever of pipeline.

And what happens if there is a spill which contaminates their water supply? Acceptable casualties or what?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Volcott posted:

Candy grenade?

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Screw that, make oil more expensive so there is more incentive to invest in alternate technologies. Leaks have also occurred because maintenance is shockingly shoddy because it is cheaper to just pay the EPA fine than actually deal with maintaining 1800 miles or whatever of pipeline.

And what happens if there is a spill which contaminates their water supply? Acceptable casualties or what?

That's why I said, end oil subsidies so the poo poo does become more expensive, does the oil industry really need $40billion a year of our taxpayer money? And also nuke Saudi Arabia for artificially making the price of crude tank last year. http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/crude-oil.aspx?timeframe=3y

We're transporting this poo poo over rail and old pipelines which has been causing this poo poo to contaminate water supplies, which is why we need a new modern pipe that isn't going to leak or spill.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zorodius posted:

So the company should be held accountable, pay restitution, and remove the roadblock. And a Marshall should enforce that if they refuse to comply with the law. I don't see what the problem is here other than the companies negligence. Which is now provable malice and intent. So they should go get their money they are owed and their land back and open the project up to other bidders and impose a restraining order against the company. If its really an issue just physically remove the roadblock and don't stand around and create another one like a bunch of grandstanding idiots.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The issue is that the company started building the pipeline before it even had the proper permits so what makes you think any local government is really giving a poo poo about law and order and justice over there?

The marshall has obv already been negligent in his job if emergency access has been blocked off for 3 weeks and a restraining order isn't going to do poo poo because the company will just continue construction and pay the fine later.

Also "their land back" is a tricky thing here as well because that land was seized illegally in violation of the Treaty of Fort Laramie so technically it was never the company's to begin with (another reason they might not be so quick to run to the gov't for help).

quote:

More than a century later, the Sioux nation won a victory in court. On June 30, 1980, in United States v. Sioux Nation of Indians,[3] the United States Supreme Court ruled that the government had illegally taken the land. It upheld an award of $15.5 million for the market value of the land in 1877, along with 103 years worth of interest at 5 percent, for an additional $105 million. The Lakota Sioux, however, have refused to accept payment and instead continue to demand the return of the territory from the United States.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 18:50 on Nov 23, 2016

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

EAB posted:

Although I totally agree seizing land from the reservation was bad and digging trenches through burial grounds was a huge fuckup, they shoulda just routed the pipe around the dang place.

Counterpoint The protesters are justified in obstructing and halting construction of the pipeline any way they can.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Toadvine posted:

Counterpoint The protesters are justified in obstructing and halting construction of the pipeline any way they can.

Counterpoint: Do not bring a Molotov to a water cannon fight.(and then have someone de-gloved and another shred their arm moving a molotov'd military vehicle with a chain, and then blame it on flashbangs and water guns)

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It seems like the company could have just removed the roadblock and hired someone to direct traffic if it was going to be close to a jobsite. I guess that would be too expensive for a company that is literally going to just be pumping money down a pipe though.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Fog Tripper posted:

Counterpoint: Do not bring a Molotov to a water cannon fight.(and then have someone de-gloved and another shred their arm moving a molotov'd military vehicle with a chain, and then blame it on flashbangs and water guns)

Counterpoint do all those things and more in opposition to state violence

RobattoJesus
Aug 13, 2002

Volcott posted:

Todd Rundgren adenoma

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

*in syria thread voice* maybe democracy just isn't the right way for americans.

perhaps their culture needs an iron fisted police chief to rule over them

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

it's pretty hosed up that on thanksgiving, they are gonna televise the dakota pipeline being forced on the redskins.

Tune in to watch the cowboys redskins game

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Toadvine posted:

you first

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

oil is like drugs. if you want to reduce supply you need to first reduce demand. the best alternative is nuclear, but hippies are dumb.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

VectorSigma posted:

the best alternative is nuclear, but hippies are dumb.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It's amazing that a bunch of racist, cop-hating rednecks can literally point sniper rifles at cops on a ranch and get away with it because they're white.

Native American though? That means you've got non-white skin and hence are clearly out to cause cops harm, despite the abscense of firearms or weapons.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Toadvine posted:

*and then whine about the aftermath on social media like little bitches*

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Drone_Fragger posted:

Native American though? That means you've got non-white skin and hence are clearly out to cause cops harm, despite the abscense of firearms or weapons.

I wonder what the ratio of native american to eurotrash and white hippy SJWs was. I saw a lot of the second two in the video. Not so much the first.

I am hip with the cause, but people self inflicting injuries to try to garner sympathy is not the way to go about it.

Fog Tripper has issued a correction as of 19:57 on Nov 23, 2016

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
some white guy on my facebook feed just drove all the way from northern california to the protest in order to defend the "sacred waters"

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

the great deceiver posted:

some white guy on my facebook feed just drove all the way from northern california to the protest in order to defend the "sacred waters"
That must have been a long drive.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Fog Tripper posted:

That must have been a long drive.

Thanks, Google.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i dont really like nimbyism

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I heard the police don't even have grenades and she blew her own arm off trying to rig some kind of propane bomb. lol

How much damage to the land are these protesters causing? It must be like a gathering of the juggalos x10.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Let me know when green helmet dude shows up carrying the child's corpse around again.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Toadvine posted:

In light of this new info I suggest we not run the smeared candidate. This election is too important to risk it.

I'll alert the DNC

CalvinCoolidge
Dec 27, 2008

Boinks posted:

I heard the police don't even have grenades and she blew her own arm off trying to rig some kind of propane bomb. lol

This is why we need to have propane classes starting in elementary school. Although it is an incredibly useful, flavorless gas that makes grilling a treat it can also bite you if you don't respect its power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

Let me know when green helmet dude shows up carrying the child's corpse around again.

quote:

On July 30, 2006, Daher was present at the scene of the Qana bombing, which occurred only about 12 km from his office at Tyre, and was photographed there by the international media. The pictures depicted him carrying dead children away from the site of the bombing, while wearing the green helmet that led to his nickname. He issued widely quoted casualty figures for the bombing at Qana. He cited 51 fatalities including 22 children,[5] though later reports revised this to a lower figure of 28, including 16 children.[6]

The 2006 photographs and footage led to a number of websites labelling Daher the "Green Helmet", in reference to his distinctive headgear, and accusing him of being a member of Hezbollah and of using bodies for propaganda purposes.[3] One website published a video that it asserted showed Daher arranging for a child's body to be taken off an ambulance to be displayed for photographers.[1] British author Richard North asserted that Daher had taken control of the scene "to orchestrate false photo opportunities with the dead bodies". North later admitted to Jefferson Morley of the Washington Post that he had no evidence that Daher was connected to Hezbollah and, as he put it, "All I have to go on is gut instinct."[7]

The Associated Press, Reuters and Agence France-Presse news agencies, whose photographers had taken the "Green Helmet" pictures, all denied that the pictures from Qana had been staged. The Washington Post's photographer Michael Robinson-Chavez rejected the claims of staging, commenting: "Everyone was dead, many of them children. Nothing was set up. There was no way photos could have been altered with a dozen photographers there." The Post's ombudsman, Deborah Howell, reviewed the pictures published by the newspaper and reported that they "didn't show any obvious manipulation."[8]

The Associated Press was eventually able to identify "Green Helmet" as Salam Daher and interviewed him twice. He strongly denied having anything to do with Hezbollah, stating that the blog allegations were not true and that he was not affiliated with any party. He told the agency: "I am just a civil defense worker. I have done this job all my life."[3] Commenting on his display of some of the bodies at Qana, he said: "I did hold the baby up, but I was saying 'look at who the Israelis are killing. They are children. These are not fighters. They have no guns. They are children, civilians they are killing.'" He told the Associated Press that he had no regrets or apologies: "I wanted people to see who was dying. They said they were killing fighters. They killed children."[1]

On August 13, 2006, Daher was reported to have been lightly injured in an Israeli attack near a hospital in Tyre shortly before a United Nations-brokered ceasefire in the conflict came into effect.[9]

this guy? my uncle works for nintendo and he says the guys a crisis actor

Lawrence Gilchrist has issued a correction as of 20:33 on Nov 23, 2016

• Locked thread