Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yeah also they said they didn't so like what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
looks like the big show will be december 5th
BREAKING: Army Corps Announces Eviction of Water Protectors, Corps-Managed Land to Be Emptied
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/army-corps-evict-notice-standing-rock/

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Rutibex posted:

looks like the big show will be december 5th
BREAKING: Army Corps Announces Eviction of Water Protectors, Corps-Managed Land to Be Emptied
http://thefreethoughtproject.com/army-corps-evict-notice-standing-rock/

I look forward to someone mashing the eventual liveleak footage to "the most wonderful time of the year"

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
yup thats sounds like its gonna end well

rip water protectors

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I look forward to someone mashing the eventual liveleak footage to "the most wonderful time of the year"

Hell, I'll be happy with a good Vince McMahon gif.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
last time jordan (biased) talked to the army corp they said "we have no idea what is going on our land and have no one in place to observe whether the company is the following the federal order not to drill under the lake" so maybe they turned on google alerts or something

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Free Speech Zone is a really funny term and reminds me that we live in the prologue of a lovely dystopian Young Adult Novel lol

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Quick Draw McGraw posted:

Mods, please send this serious political thread to CSPAM where it belongs

No way man this belongs in TCC, our local arm reduction subforum.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Professor Shark posted:

Free Speech Zone is a really funny term and reminds me that we live in the prologue of a lovely dystopian Young Adult Novel lol

its so hosed up

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Yep, the future is Blade Runner, only without the uncorrupted countryside like at the end of that one version

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i think this situation has more dimensions than just "gently caress the cops, Indians are in the right". maybe it's not so black and white. there's probably something else going on. that's my hot take

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i think this situation has more dimensions than just "gently caress the cops, Indians are in the right". maybe it's not so black and white. there's probably something else going on. that's my hot take

synopsis of the upcoming south park episode

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I know now that this is in cspam no one is paying attention but have you seen the D&D thread on this topic? It is amazing humor until you realize some folks are for real.

I much preferred this thread. Hopefully others will too.
The only nugget of info I found in 10+ pages of bitching at each other instead of discussion or humor was that some of the white people there are treating it like a festival. Using their donations, taking up space, not helping. Sounds like slactivism in real life.

Who wants to bet they are the first to flee when the supply roads get blocked?

Also the faa has suppsedly instituted a no fly zone there (?)

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

Living in a Shadowrun future where the native Americans don't get access to powerful magics is very bleak.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i mean it's literally the natives' land and they're getting a huge rear end pipe built through it without their consent so

it seems pretty black and white in this case

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Yinlock posted:

i mean it's literally the natives' land and they're getting a huge rear end pipe built through it without their consent so

it seems pretty black and white in this case

yeah I dunno I mean I don't claim to have the whole picture but it seems that all of the land has been bought from private landowners

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Protagonist posted:

hmm yes, if they build this pipeline it might leak and poison the water, so right before they turn it on lets make sure it leaks catastrophically multiple times

"we specifically built this pipeline over your most vital water sources, for safety"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

"as an added measure of respect, we have engraved racial slurs every six feet"

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Yinlock posted:

"we specifically built this pipeline over your most vital water sources, for safety"

actually the tribe had already arranged to use a completely unrelated source of water for their utilities for 2017, even before the pipeline stuff started

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

yeah didn't they basically sit on there rear end for the entire period where they could file a complaint about it?

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Agean90 posted:

yeah didn't they basically sit on there rear end for the entire period where they could file a complaint about it?

is this a hitchhikers guide situation

"we sent you a single letter that was dropped in a ditch, you were given ample warning"

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Yinlock posted:

"as an added measure of respect, we have engraved racial slurs every six feet"

in fact it was a lot easier than I expected to find a credible citation for my claim as well so there you go

https://www.yahoo.com/news/standing-rock-sioux-water-system-may-reduce-oil-185229942--finance.html?ref=gs

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Yinlock posted:

is this a hitchhikers guide situation

"we sent you a single letter that was dropped in a ditch, you were given ample warning"

this cannot possibly be true as the tribe leaders managed to file several appeals as far as I'm aware

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

in fact it was a lot easier than I expected to find a credible citation for my claim as well so there you go

https://www.yahoo.com/news/standing-rock-sioux-water-system-may-reduce-oil-185229942--finance.html?ref=gs

i'm glad they have a way around the pipeline's inevitable catastrophic failure but id still prefer it if there wasn't a huge rear end pipe being built through their land by captain planet villians

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
There is certainly the possibility that the water will never be contaminated, but the federal government using its clout to protect oil companies over native residents on their own land sets a bad precedent.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Yinlock posted:

i'm glad they have a way around the pipeline's inevitable catastrophic failure but id still prefer it if there wasn't a huge rear end pipe being built through their land by captain planet villians

i personally would prefer if we stopped using fossil fuels altogether but if we have to choose the lesser evil a pipeline is the safest option for oil transport it seems

Fiction posted:

There is certainly the possibility that the water will never be contaminated, but the federal government using its clout to protect oil companies over native residents on their own land sets a bad precedent.

it would set a much worse precedent for mr trumps presidency for Obama to issue an executive order overruling several court judgements after already having issued two in support of the tribe that were both overturned

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i personally would prefer if we stopped using fossil fuels altogether but if we have to choose the lesser evil a pipeline is the safest option for oil transport it seems

The better way to stop using oil is to fine oil companies literally billions for their environmental damage. Then use the immense resources of the judicial branch to collect on those fines, investigate for negligence and imprison board members and executives for those crimes.

But I guess it's easier to just do anything the oil companies want, I'm sure eventually they will get tired of making money at the expense of everything else.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

The better way to stop using oil is to fine oil companies literally billions for their environmental damage. Then use the immense resources of the judicial branch to collect on those fines, investigate for negligence and imprison board members and executives for those crimes.

But I guess it's easier to just do anything the oil companies want, I'm sure eventually they will get tired of making money at the expense of everything else.

hey that's not fair

that guy said sorry about the gulf oil spill, then got mad about it later

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

he was really sorry though

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Iirc deephorizon wasn't negligence (maybe I'm wrong). The fines were pretty steep, and I don't know enough to say if they were insufficient or not. But I feel like deepwater was the exception. If it was a less visible spill they would have paid zero.

Basically you shouldn't be levying fines based on catastrophic events, as the smaller regional spills cause much more damage, and could be mitigated much more effectively if the economic calculus demanded it.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

this cannot possibly be true as the tribe leaders managed to file several appeals as far as I'm aware

hmmmmmm it actually seems like you do claim to have the whole picture, contrary to what you said

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Karl Barks posted:

hmmmmmm it actually seems like you do claim to have the whole picture, contrary to what you said

im wary of claiming that in light of the complexity of the issue but these are the facts i have read hth

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

forums poster bulgogi hoagie has me convinced, corporate interests manipulating the state into using violence to advance private profits at the expense of native peoples is good and reasonable

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

OMGVBFLOL posted:

forums poster bulgogi hoagie has me convinced, corporate interests manipulating the state into using violence to advance private profits at the expense of native peoples is good and reasonable

:agreed: also throughout history the side with the water cannons, attack dogs, tear gas, rubber bullets and grenades have always been the good guys

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

it would set a much worse precedent for mr trumps presidency for Obama to issue an executive order overruling several court judgements after already having issued two in support of the tribe that were both overturned

lol what the gently caress are you talking about. obama already stepped in and stoped construction and ordered the corps to do a new environmental assessement. he did that directly after the court threw out the injunction

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
if you are are any side other than the protestors you should kill yourself. no matter how poorly thought out or researched your position is

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Duscat posted:

:agreed: also throughout history the side with the water cannons, attack dogs, tear gas, rubber bullets and grenades have always been the good guys

Well Batman has used all of those before so.....

send in Batman

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Fiction posted:

less setting a bad precedent and more following previously established precedent

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
protecting any property sets a bad precedent imo. full communism now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

Let's just all leave North America and try it again, pretend the first time never happened.

• Locked thread