Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Just watched the premier. It's interesting how they will be airing 2 episodes a week on HBO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That was utterly bizarre. I like how Voiello has his own version of Maude's friend from the Big Lebowski.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So what's with the giant pile of dead babies?

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

So what's with the giant pile of dead babies?

It's best to just not ask questions because you will get no answers from this show.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

drunken officeparty posted:

It's best to just not ask questions because you will get no answers from this show.

Ok, good to know. I'll just enjoy it for what it is then.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
This has been my wallpaper for a while now (1x10):

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Since we're on a new page, no more spoilers from early watchers. From this point on only discuss the episodes that have been shown on HBO.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Only watched the 1st episode so far but I love it. Interesting how by the end of the 1st episode Lenny practically lays it all out about in insecurity and apparent unworthiness but gently caress it, I guess, this dude is Pope even if he's some kind of agitator. He's such a strange loving character that I'm hooked now. Jude Law was such a fantastic choice for this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm extremely gay for Jude Law, and if you are too, check out:

Closer: Jude Law plays the most pathetic man imaginable and you will hate him so much, but you will hate everyone in this movie eventually. Clive Owen and Natalie Portman are also in here and it's all just horrible people being horrible and it's such a good movie oh my God.

All the King's Men: It's funny, because when people talk about the novel, popularly they talk about Willy and the political story, but anyone remotely literarily bent knows the book is really the story of Jack Burden and his several existential crises (most of which have literally nothing to do with the alleged main plot of the novel). So it's fitting that this film version got slammed for the... not so great Sean Penn turn as Cajun Willy, while most ignored the quiet majesty of Law's Jack Burden, the real soul and heart of the film.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I demand a soccer nun spinoff series.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MinibarMatchman posted:

Only watched the 1st episode so far but I love it. Interesting how by the end of the 1st episode Lenny practically lays it all out about in insecurity and apparent unworthiness but gently caress it, I guess, this dude is Pope even if he's some kind of agitator. He's such a strange loving character that I'm hooked now. Jude Law was such a fantastic choice for this.

And the cinematography and some of the weird imagery and dream sequences really adds to the sense of unease and confusion, making the viewer feel the same as those around the pope do to some degree. I really like this show so far.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is the best thing I've seen on TV in a while. It makes West World look like the middlebrow shitstain that it was.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm all aboard this show, most of the way through the second episode, only one worrisome scene so far

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
This show is making me look back at the history of the Papacy and man you wouldn't believe the period dramas they could make out of stuff like the actual youngest Pope
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_IX
Guy was at least 20 when he took the throne and is the only multi time Pope and at one point sold it to the highest bidder.

Then you have stuff like the Cadaver Synod

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Episode 9 was beautiful.

Closer is an amazing movie and I will never ever watch it again.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I don't really know what the plot of this is beside 'what if the pope was kinda an rear end in a top hat?' but I guess I'm watching anyway for Jude Law's monologues.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

achillesforever6 posted:

This show is making me look back at the history of the Papacy and man you wouldn't believe the period dramas they could make out of stuff like the actual youngest Pope
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_IX
Guy was at least 20 when he took the throne and is the only multi time Pope and at one point sold it to the highest bidder.

Then you have stuff like the Cadaver Synod

Some sources put him at 12 or 13, which makes for a much better story given that he got the papacy as a gift from his father, got bored, sold the throne, then used the money to hire an army to help him retake the city.

His reign also represents the last hurrah of the Theophylacti family, which almost succeeded in making the papacy a de facto hereditary position. Benedict's family members include Sergius III, who probably murdered his predecessors, and John XII, who died during intercourse either from internal bleeding or an attack by an outraged husband.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jan 19, 2017

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

wukkar posted:

I don't really know what the plot of this is beside 'what if the pope was kinda an rear end in a top hat?' but I guess I'm watching anyway for Jude Law's monologues.

My impression is, after two episodes, that the plot is: "what if social conservatives got everything they ever wanted and more?" Lenny's pope is a callback not so much to the idealized version of early modern America in the 40s and 50s that many social conservatives wish for, but rather the pre-modern Catholic church of, say, the Inquisition - mystical, vile, and conquering.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Finished the second episode... that was not as good as the premiere episode :shrug:

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Just a heads up that creator/director Paolo Sorrentino is also responsible for the movie "Il Divo". Imagine "The Godfather" meets "Nixon" with the crazy visuals you see in The Young Pope.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I'm enjoying Pope Pius XIII's Heel Turn: The Series thus far after two episodes.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The conversation "I'm an atheist. Just kidding!" Jude Law deserves all the awards.

Also, the guy's face when he asks "Are you a homosexual?" Oh my God.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

"It's time for my snack" was hilarious.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Sierra Nevadan posted:

"It's time for my snack" was hilarious.

I guess nuns are not good at lying.

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

withak posted:

I guess nuns are not good at lying.

The implication I drew was that the button was basically never used before this guy.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This was another great episode. It says a lot that a show that's mostly people talking in different places can be so visually compelling.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

I Am A Robot posted:

The implication I drew was that the button was basically never used before this guy.

I thought it was that most popes are old rear end fossils that need a snack

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I thought "It's time for your snack" was what Sister Mary told her to say because it would be funny/gently caress with Lenny.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I felt really bad for the Cardinal in the second or third episode, the one formerly in charge of the Pope's travel arrangements.

He goes from a cushy office job in the twilight of his life, in the middle of Rome to: losing his job, choosing San Francisco, then being told he was wrong and would be going to Alaska. Him asking, sadly, if it was cold was kinda depressing.

Did I miss something and there was a reason he was sent there?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

the end of the 2nd episode surprised me. I really had Lenny pegged as someone who wanted to say whatever he could to make a difference, much like in the dream sequence in the first episode. Turns out he's not like that at all? But maybe he is!? Who the gently caress knows if he even believes in God or not. All I can conclude with is this guy is a narcissistic maniac. I still have no idea where this is going but it's intriguing as gently caress so I don't mind.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I felt really bad for the Cardinal in the second or third episode, the one formerly in charge of the Pope's travel arrangements.

He goes from a cushy office job in the twilight of his life, in the middle of Rome to: losing his job, choosing San Francisco, then being told he was wrong and would be going to Alaska. Him asking, sadly, if it was cold was kinda depressing.

Did I miss something and there was a reason he was sent there?

Because Lenny is a petty rear end in a top hat who likes ruining people's lives.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think that he thinks he's punishing the sinners and "part time believers".

It's interesting how this show plays with expectations. You see Jude Law and just automatically assume he's a cool liberal pope that listens to Daft Punk. A lot of shows would be weakened by making it so hard to figure out what's really going on, but here it's thematically appropriate.

That said I've got odds on him boning his new assistant.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerkface posted:

I thought it was that most popes are old rear end fossils that need a snack

It's this. How are you people always so bad at watching TV?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Probably the same way you're so bad at posting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was sure there was a reason for the dude being sent to Alaska but I can't remember it now. Probably something petty.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He's also the guy who discovered his office was given to someone else when he arrived and found them changing the nameplate.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Escobarbarian posted:

I was sure there was a reason for the dude being sent to Alaska but I can't remember it now. Probably something petty.

Didn't he quote him some statistic about how many bishops and cardinals come from the US, or was that in a different scene?

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

It is so that Cardinal Ozolins can refresh his spiritual calling and be closer to God. Beauty at low temperatures is beauty.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Sending Ozolins to Alaska seemed to me to be a warning. As he was part of the clique who expected to be able to control the Pope through Voiello, he was singled out and punished as a way of telling the rest of that group that not only would he not be controlled, the prospective controllers could very easily be ruined at a whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Cardinal Ozolins was ratted out by Lennys best bud. Apparently the cardinal said that sister mary was co pope, thats why hes eating poo poo.

• Locked thread