Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Skoll posted:

Please tell me you're joking.

Nope. Bibs is a video game curmudgeon, and is very successful at derailing threads with that personality trait. Honestly it's pretty impressive how effective he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haakman
May 5, 2011
Played a bit of this tonight. Helps if you are on a harder difficulty. Ran fine, looks great with good atmosphere. Stealers are dumb as poo poo.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Has deathwing had any winter sale prices on steam?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

still 15% off last time I checked (when I bought it yesterday)

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Beat it last night on hard, a++ will purge some more.

I can understand reservations due to performance issues, I'm apparently lucky and had non. I can also see it being boring if you're not a 40k fan, but for me it was an absolute blast.

Jumped into my first multiplayer game, codex rules with 4 people was a ton of fun, I imagine with friends over VoIP it would be amazing.

Definitely has rough edges but if you can look past it there is a really fun game there. Money well spent.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Are psy gate uses "per level" or are you meant to only have 4 (plus 1 per willpower upgrade) for the entire campaign?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
they're per level

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Thanks. The game could do with some more info but this is the studio that brought us E.Y.E., so some jank and weirdness was to be expected.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Just had my first MP experience and holy gently caress it was fun but honestly you need 2 tactical for rezzes. Assault cannon is so loving amazing, just holding down the trigger and watching that wall of flesh dissolve is soooo mmmmmmm.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Sloober posted:

Reminder that MisterBibs didn't like XCOM 2 because in his head XCOM won the first (Because he beat the first one) and having XCOM lose as canon in 2 made it just totally unacceptable.

Lol, when there's so many real reasons to not like that game

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Lol, when there's so many real reasons to not like that game

Like what?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Black templar ship was so loving amazing, heavy flamer shines so goddamn hard at the last part.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Holy gently caress the bridge of the rogue trader ship was hard as hell--is there a way beyond having to use a ton of psy gates to change everyones load out? I thought about me going thunder hammer+2 ranged guys but i just don't trust either of them enough and i figured i'd get slaughtered. I loving loved the pantry haha.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

So I like vermintide/l4d but will most likely be playing with bots most of the time. What's the rundown on this. Worth it, or should I wait for an even bigger sale?

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

I bought it at 15% off and it was completely worth it--holding down the trigger with an assault cannon for the entire 400 rounds while your barrels glow red is pretty much the best experience ever. If they're smart they'll follow a vermintide system and just get normal space marines so you can have a absurd variety of weapon combos.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Arghy posted:

I bought it at 15% off and it was completely worth it--holding down the trigger with an assault cannon for the entire 400 rounds while your barrels glow red is pretty much the best experience ever.

Agreed. You're basically the Spess Mureen Space Marine version of Reb Brown and it's wonderful.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Arghy posted:

Holy gently caress the bridge of the rogue trader ship was hard as hell--is there a way beyond having to use a ton of psy gates to change everyones load out? I thought about me going thunder hammer+2 ranged guys but i just don't trust either of them enough and i figured i'd get slaughtered. I loving loved the pantry haha.

Yeah, that was the most recent chapter I completed and that part on the bridge is the only part I died multiple times doing so far.

I finally beat it with sheer luck and using a psy gate part way through since the apothecary kept getting overwhelmed and dying.

I think so far that vessel is my favorite. The little surprise in the cargo hold was neat.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

clone on the phone posted:

So I like vermintide/l4d but will most likely be playing with bots most of the time. What's the rundown on this. Worth it, or should I wait for an even bigger sale?

Go in with the expectation that there will be bugs and you may or may not have performance issues and you can have a lot of fun. If you don't want to deal with bugs wait for the next sale (who knows when, Valentines?).

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.
This game is great fun. Just like EYE, the game's strongest points are its complex, sprawling levels, fun weapons, and immersive atmosphere.

I really liked EYE, so it probably comes as no surprise that I think this game would've been even better if it incorporated more elements from EYE. Leveling, gaining brouzoufs, upgrading implants, and some of the other rpg-ish stuff would go a long way to adding replayability, for me at least.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Werix posted:

Yeah, that was the most recent chapter I completed and that part on the bridge is the only part I died multiple times doing so far.

I finally beat it with sheer luck and using a psy gate part way through since the apothecary kept getting overwhelmed and dying.

I think so far that vessel is my favorite. The little surprise in the cargo hold was neat.

I had a crash midway through so i'm just going to restart and try mace of absolution with 2 storm botlers.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Arghy posted:

I had a crash midway through so i'm just going to restart and try mace of absolution with 2 storm botlers.

The biggest problem is that one of your AI is doing the hack, and so it is only you and one AI. i did okay each time until the Scythe strain would show up about half way through. I managed it by having the apothecary use shield and hammer, while I used the spear of Caliban and spammed that first fire skill. I nearly died so I had to gate out at 75% just to heal, and then came back.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Yeah i figured i would block most of the time then use the apoth standing behind me in defensive mode to heal me which can be done pretty fast with H. This would allow me to save a psygate because i could do the first part hoarding heals and going balls to the wall because i'd have a shield while i dragged the 2 AI behind me with stormbotlers which increases their awareness range quite far. Also inferno is amazing for cleaning out waves because it 1 shots even warrior strains.

The scythe strain seems to get owned really hard by a thunder hammer or maybe belial makes it seem easy haha.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Speaking of, can anyone confirm how useful the shield is in either single player or multiplayer? Like, if you have the shield up blocking does it block incoming ranged attacks as well? Do you have to time the blocks or something? They do a really bad job explaining how melee works.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Werix posted:

Speaking of, can anyone confirm how useful the shield is in either single player or multiplayer? Like, if you have the shield up blocking does it block incoming ranged attacks as well? Do you have to time the blocks or something? They do a really bad job explaining how melee works.

It blocks ranged and melee attacks, but not all of them.

It seems like the game does damage and crit rolls in the background when you get hit. I've been one shot by melee even with the shield up.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
I've never played a game that crashes this much before. Its like its still in alpha test state. And not just the same sort of crash causing errors either. Its a different one almost every time. Which is new and different for me and I guess a little interesting? Already crashed about 5 times in chapter 2 trying to get to the relic in the south eastern armory type chamber only when I got there there was no relic. Apparently due to a bug that prevents it from spawning.

The_Angry_Turtle fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 27, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What's the yellow bar to the left of my health display. It doesn't seem to be psychicness. Position on Klatuum's Ladder?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's how psyched up you are until you get another psy gate. Finding relics psychs you up.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Experience.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm yet to find any relics.

Edit: After experience with doors in this game I have concluded that Dark Angels are actually cats.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 28, 2016

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
I finally beat the game earlier today. Kind of a shame that they recycle old maps for the last two missions (8 and 9) and the end is very underwhelming, but overall a fun game.

I would really like to try mission 8 co-op some day, i imagine it would be fun.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Werix posted:

I finally beat the game earlier today. Kind of a shame that they recycle old maps for the last two missions (8 and 9) and the end is very underwhelming, but overall a fun game.

I would really like to try mission 8 co-op some day, i imagine it would be fun.

Missions 7/8/9 are really fun co-op. Especially on hard difficulties/codex mode. Lots of OH poo poo OH poo poo OHSHIT! moments.

I never understood the criticism for this games AI. There have been numerous times where we've locked a door to prevent a brood lord/scythe strain from killing us only to have it gather a huge swarm and find another way around to us. Once you play the missions a few times you also realize that the spawns aren't all scripted/the same.

The latest hotfixes seemed to have fixed a lot of the issues, but there are still some odd networking glitches (people disconnecting on map change) that they need to work out.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm yet to find any relics.

Edit: After experience with doors in this game I have concluded that Dark Angels are actually cats.

most relics I've found have been out of the way and hidden behind walls, others are sort of along the path but tucked into crannies that are easily overlooked when you have 20 purestrains and a fistful of rocket hybrids coming at you

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Listen for the whispers. They tell you that a relic is nearby, they are also directional so you can home in on them a bit easier.

Overall the audio work in the game is superb. Positional audio queues are really good, and the atmospheric audio tracks are also really good :D

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Stanley Pain posted:

Listen for the whispers. They tell you that a relic is nearby, they are also directional so you can home in on them a bit easier.

Overall the audio work in the game is superb. Positional audio queues are really good, and the atmospheric audio tracks are also really good :D

This basically. I didn't get any relics the first mission because I didn't know about the audio thing. I got all the relics missions 2-7 though. Once I got to eight and nine and they were repeat levels I was under no real drive to dig them out. However, the few relics in missions 8 and 9 I picked up along the way were in the same places they were the first time through those maps, so I guess that would make it easier.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

Werix posted:

This basically. I didn't get any relics the first mission because I didn't know about the audio thing. I got all the relics missions 2-7 though. Once I got to eight and nine and they were repeat levels I was under no real drive to dig them out. However, the few relics in missions 8 and 9 I picked up along the way were in the same places they were the first time through those maps, so I guess that would make it easier.

They aren't super clear about it, but in the forced training mission the relic does whisper to you when you are near.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Once I turned the music down/off it was a lot easier for me to hear the whispers, too. I actually prefer the game without any music on, since the sound effects are so great and really fit the setting.

The_Angry_Turtle
Aug 2, 2007

BLARGH
Even more relics in mission 3 are failing to spawn. I can only get 3/5 because two of them just aren't even appearing.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

Missions 7/8/9 are really fun co-op. Especially on hard difficulties/codex mode. Lots of OH poo poo OH poo poo OHSHIT! moments.

I never understood the criticism for this games AI. There have been numerous times where we've locked a door to prevent a brood lord/scythe strain from killing us only to have it gather a huge swarm and find another way around to us. Once you play the missions a few times you also realize that the spawns aren't all scripted/the same.

The latest hotfixes seemed to have fixed a lot of the issues, but there are still some odd networking glitches (people disconnecting on map change) that they need to work out.

loving seriously the AI is fantastic what are they supposed to do? i love watching the swarm disappear into the ducting because i locked the door and watching them appear from another spawn point.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the yellow bar to the left of my health display. It doesn't seem to be psychicness. Position on Klatuum's Ladder?

Brouzouf.

Re: SSD chat - I just built my first computer that has a large-ish SSD, and it's safe to say this:

What the gently caress have I been doing without one for this long? Subnautica takes 3 minutes to load on my OK laptop. It takes 5 seconds on an SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrchinchin25
Apr 14, 2012

Dat BDSSE
Re: SSD (sorry!) chat I've been using a semi-decent laptop this holiday rather than my usual desktop, and the main difference is it has an SSD in it whereas my desktop has an SSD for the OS only.

The difference is night and day - to the extent I'm going to have to bung a large-ish SSD into my desktop as soon as I can and start transferring 'slow' and 'large' games onto it.

• Locked thread