Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Sazabi posted:

The melee doesn't feel anywhere near satisfying as vermintide, and it's a real simple press 'Q' to melee and nothing more except a block button. The guns feel but save the default auto cannon which recoils all over the place. Regular bolters are good, plasma cannons are better.

The map from the beta was cool. Multiple routes to objectives, a healthy mix of corridor and open area. Nice details scattered around.

The two issues that can cripple the games fun is connectivity problems and static spawns. I played 12 hours of the beta and only finished the map twice. Every other try ended prematurely in losing connection to the host. Which I'm sure they're working on but for me at least it is a big deal.
The second kill joy was static enemy spawns. The one exception being broodlords that attract lesser tyranids indefinitely unless killed. But even the broodlords had fixed spawn points. The devs talked about an intelligent ai that horded troops and waited for the perfect moment to strike. All I saw was groups of three to five hybrids rush rush you with stubbers or genestealers running at you down a hallway instead of waiting for you to get closer. Maybe this was just part of the small beta, but a L4D vermintide game with static maps and static ai isn't a super selling point to me.

If they fix all the disconnect issues then the game will be worth picking up if you have a few friends or goons to play with.
Thanks, that's really helpful. Fixed spawns really do sound like they'd kill the replay value, as does the non-persistent levelling.

It seems a really odd decision to make this primarily single player. Partly because it's a harder job, because then you have to code non-retarded bots, partly because it'll inherently have less replayability, and partly because they've built 90% of what they need to make it into Vermintide In Space even if that isn't what it was originally planned to be. Plus we already have a single-player Space Hulk video game that's only a couple of years old. I guess I'll see what the consensus is like on release but I'm not nearly as hyped as I was. Oh well.

edit: it might even be worth adding a line at the very start of the OP saying "THIS ISN'T VERMINTIDE IN SPACE" and/or changing the thread title, because I think a lot of people are expecting it to be exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Zephro posted:

Thanks, that's really helpful. Fixed spawns really do sound like they'd kill the replay value, as does the non-persistent levelling.

It seems a really odd decision to make this primarily single player. Partly because it's a harder job, because then you have to code non-retarded bots, partly because it'll inherently have less replayability, and partly because they've built 90% of what they need to make it into Vermintide In Space even if that isn't what it was originally planned to be. Plus we already have a single-player Space Hulk video game that's only a couple of years old. I guess I'll see what the consensus is like on release but I'm not nearly as hyped as I was. Oh well.

edit: it might even be worth adding a line at the very start of the OP saying "THIS ISN'T VERMINTIDE IN SPACE" and/or changing the thread title, because I think a lot of people are expecting it to be exactly that.

Even if it doesn't have a ton of replayability, I would still much rather play through the campaign with humans than bots. I hope that is at least possible. I'm also thinking the non-persistant leveling was just an artifact of the beta? They also didn't even include all the weapons (no flamer), which further leads me to think the beta was very targeted towards certain issues.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

They have said you can play through every chapter in MP and in any order, as well as making a "mini campaign" of whichever levels you want

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
Ended up refunding it. I know it's a beta so the stability issues, soft locks, etc. will hopefully be gone by launch, but the gameplay itself seemed really boring. Teamwork and coordination didn't really feel all that necessary and the game play felt clunky, slow, and unfun. Compared to Space Marine everything seemed weightless and floaty despite the fact that you're supposed to be in terminator armor. In Space Marine you were a power armored super soldier crushing your way through combat with weapons that felt like elephant guns and doomsday devices, in this it felt like I was firing weapons with the visual and audio oomph of an electric feather duster. The assault cannon was extremely disappointing as was the plasma cannon. I feel that the only audio thing they got right was when someone is firing one of their guns in a far off hallway.

I didn't feel like I was in a huge fuckoff tank suit mowing things down or making a final stand against overwhelming odds.

Part of what makes L4D and Vermintide fun is that you actually legitimately need your teammates there to bail you out or cover for you while you're doing something. In this there doesn't seem to be any equivalent to hunters, jockeys, pack masters, gutter runners, etc. that require the team to stick together and actually cover each other. It doesn't feel like the sort of gameplay where turning on friendly fire, reducing your hp, and increasing the enemy hp will make the game more fun so much as it will just lengthen the time you have to spend in the hallway walking simulator.

It's a huge disappointment with how much I like Vermintide, Space Marine, and EYE. Beyond the honeymoon period that lasted the first hour I was as bored as the voice actors were.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 1, 2016

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

Skandranon posted:

Even if it doesn't have a ton of replayability, I would still much rather play through the campaign with humans than bots. I hope that is at least possible. I'm also thinking the non-persistant leveling was just an artifact of the beta? They also didn't even include all the weapons (no flamer), which further leads me to think the beta was very targeted towards certain issues.

The non-persistent levelling is a deliberate choice to make it feel more like a MOBA because reasons. The flamer is omitted from multiplayer partially due to performance issues but also because it was apparently super overpowered.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

it was apparently super overpowered.

I see no problem with this.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I really haven no problem with the lack of persistent leveling and given the design in the game we've seen so far it seems way more consistent with that then some hypothetical design; there really aren't enough advancement options to make persistent leveling (as we currently see it anyway) enjoyable. As a vehicle to gradually amp up encounters as the game goes on, I think it works pretty well. L4D had no persistent advancement.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mendrian posted:

I really haven no problem with the lack of persistent leveling and given the design in the game we've seen so far it seems way more consistent with that then some hypothetical design; there really aren't enough advancement options to make persistent leveling (as we currently see it anyway) enjoyable. As a vehicle to gradually amp up encounters as the game goes on, I think it works pretty well. L4D had no persistent advancement.

Neither does Vermintide, really. If Deathwing has the in-game leveling scheme, paired with loot like Vermintide, could be very interesting.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal
Does it seem like this will go the same way as Vermintide and eventually come to the Xbox One?

It seems the status of if it's pc only or not has changed every time some progress is made in this game, and it would be really nice to play it.

It tickles the long dormant part of my brain that enjoyed Vengeance of the Blood Angels far too much.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

ravinghobo posted:

Does it seem like this will go the same way as Vermintide and eventually come to the Xbox One?

It seems the status of if it's pc only or not has changed every time some progress is made in this game, and it would be really nice to play it.

It tickles the long dormant part of my brain that enjoyed Vengeance of the Blood Angels far too much.

Their main website has been saying for a while "coming ton consoles in 2017" so I would say your chances are good.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ijUKQK14s

Rap Three Times
Aug 2, 2013

Thrice, not twice, nay not four times either.
Grimey Drawer
That single-player looks amazing. But very different from what I played in the beta.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Looks much better and sounds nicer too. That shotgun bolter sounds excellent. Could still use some heavier footsteps and whining servomotors.

The redone voices remind me of the Space Hulk videos by FlashGitzAnimation.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 3, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does this game have psychic phenomena when you do your Librarian-stuff? Perils of the Warp?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

Does this game have psychic phenomena when you do your Librarian-stuff? Perils of the Warp?

Not the the Librarian that I saw. I think the hybrid psykers can blow up when killed, though I cannot confirm.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The voices are much better and it looks like you can in fact control individual units so that's cool.

Maybe this'll actually be ready for a full release by this time next year.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Game is like 33 bucks on steam, less on GMG, but is it good?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Elendil004 posted:

I played the beta a bit. Shooting feels good. Looks to be lots of guns. Feels fun. I have high hopes.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Elendil004 posted:

Beta felt like a pre-alpha.
Ran like poo poo on my i5 w/ 970 and 8gbs of ram.
UI's pretty bad, shooting is merely ok, and it just honestly doesn't feel like what I expected a Space Hulk FPS to play like at all.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Game is delayed until next Wednesday the the 14th so they can work on more bugs.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Werix posted:

Game is delayed until next Wednesday the the 14th so they can work on more bugs.

Thank loving god, they should just delay it until some time next year instead.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Deakul posted:

Thank loving god, they should just delay it until some time next year instead.

whoa man sick burn

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Here, I'll actually post a link to their announcement.

I loved EYE so much that these folks have enough goodwill built up that I'm fine with it. If you take them at their word they've already done a lot of optimization for the performance issues.

I'd rather a company come clean like this and delay over poo poo like Batman Arkham Knight or Dishonored 2 happening.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
It's a little disappointing that I won't get to play this weekend but if it was going to run like poo poo I'd much rather them spend a bit of extra time polishing it.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
They're confident enough in their release date that they did a Launch Trailer for Wednesday.. The stuff in the first like 30 seconds is new, but the rest of it comes from their better "Rise of the Terminators Trailer from last year.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Preordered this garbage fire and am fully anticipating a same day refund when it releases.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Deakul posted:

Preordered this garbage fire and am fully anticipating a same day refund when it releases.

You sure do complain a lot about this game, maybe it's not for you??

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mr. Crow posted:

It's Space Hulk/40k related, it is definitely for me. :colbert:

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

To be fair, his entire posting history looks to be one huge complaint.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Skandranon posted:

To be fair, his entire posting history looks to be one huge complaint.

Yeah, true, everything is pretty poo poo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

If you're getting this because it's 40k then don't be surprised when you get a streum on game and not whatever space man poo poo you're hoping for. Anything from this developer should be treated as hilarity that sometimes miraculously turns into a good game; as a pile of legos which you hurl against the wall and rarely, somehow, falls to the ground perfectly assembled into a lego masterpiece, but which is far more likely to just leave a bunch of pieces spread around the room that hurt your feet when you step on them. One time in ten the legos will tell you that you got a 4/10 on kladuum's ladder.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I had fun with EYE but I don't know if it was a technical mess on release.

I mean, even post release it still has an awful UI and a bunch of mechanics that make little or no sense but it's pretty playable and fun.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Technical concerns are definitely valid and I think a lot of us are worried about that. Shadow warrior 2 is the only game I've played recently that looked good and also wasn't a technical mess. It's getting really bad in general. Almost no one seems to give a poo poo about optimization anymore.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Digirat posted:

Technical concerns are definitely valid and I think a lot of us are worried about that. Shadow warrior 2 is the only game I've played recently that looked good and also wasn't a technical mess. It's getting really bad in general. Almost no one seems to give a poo poo about optimization anymore.

I think a lot of that is because PC seems to be an afterthought these days with larger publishers where the game is primarily coded for consoles and shipped out to a third party to be ported over. This isn't every case, since many big name publishers have great optimization too. It is just the reality of the marketplace; there are more consoles than gaming rigs, so you go where the market is.

Shadow Warrior 2 (which I loving loved) was made by a smaller team who was focused on PC. That is the same with deathwing here. Part of it is I think streum on isn't as good at programing as others.

But drat they got great art direction.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

It's also because game budgets are ballooning and the cuts are always made to testing before the release.

The multiplayer is not the focus despite being the big selling point is giving me second thoughts on this.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It's also because game budgets are ballooning and the cuts are always made to testing before the release.

The multiplayer is not the focus despite being the big selling point is giving me second thoughts on this.

It's easier to tack on multiplayer changes post release than it is to redo the campaign.

Obviously we know nothing about the campaign and it may be poo poo and repetitive, but I'd rather they do what they're doing than the reverse. Putting out functional multiplayer AND singleplayer is obviously ideal but budget concerns etc. That being said I do hope they come back and improve multiplayer, I'm hoping it can be my friends new co-op game.

I'm looking forward to this despite not playing it; haven't pre ordered thought given the technical issues and potential for repetitive gameplay.

How long can you refund a game in steam and how many refunds so you get?

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

It's easier to tack on multiplayer changes post release than it is to redo the campaign.

Obviously we know nothing about the campaign and it may be poo poo and repetitive, but I'd rather they do what they're doing than the reverse. Putting out functional multiplayer AND singleplayer is obviously ideal but budget concerns etc. That being said I do hope they come back and improve multiplayer, I'm hoping it can be my friends new co-op game.

I'm looking forward to this despite not playing it; haven't pre ordered thought given the technical issues and potential for repetitive gameplay.

How long can you refund a game in steam and how many refunds so you get?

If you have less than 2 hours playtime, can refund. Might be a 30 day limit on that, not sure (I could refund 75% of my library otherwise...).

I'm hopeful for the multiplayer. The beta had bugs, but I thought it felt like how it should to plod around in Terminator armor and shoot Xenos. If they fix the netcode, I can see this being a fun multiplayer experience for at least 100 hours for me.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Skandranon posted:

If you have less than 2 hours playtime, can refund. Might be a 30 day limit on that, not sure (I could refund 75% of my library otherwise...).

I'm hopeful for the multiplayer. The beta had bugs, but I thought it felt like how it should to plod around in Terminator armor and shoot Xenos. If they fix the netcode, I can see this being a fun multiplayer experience for at least 100 hours for me.

Hmmm I might just pre order for the discount and if it runs like poo poo and/or limit playing it till reviews come out to potentially refund it then. Thanks.

Did they use the voxel voice modulation for the in-game voice chat? Would be cool af in multiplayer.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Elendil004 posted:

it's not 33 bucks good in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Can you have multiple of each class on a run, or are you limited to one each?

• Locked thread