Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I immediately forgot about this game after they announced it but they released the last episode of the "season" or something last month, and steam reviews are telling me this game is "very positive"

Has anyone played this? Is it good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farsel
Aug 4, 2007

it's good. plays like a more refined version of blood money though it does start with a lot of handholding poo poo which kinda spoils things but you can turn all that off thankfully

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Control Volume posted:

I immediately forgot about this game after they announced it but they released the last episode of the "season" or something last month, and steam reviews are telling me this game is "very positive"

Has anyone played this? Is it good?

there's another hit man thread with more info here but I'd say it's one of my favorite games this year. I'd say it's on the same level if not a little better than blood money

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

frank.club posted:

there's another hit man thread with more info here but I'd say it's one of my favorite games this year. I'd say it's on the same level if not a little better than blood money

Oh drat they matched blood money? Are the levels bigger or about the same size since I remember them playing up how they learned from absolution's tiny levels

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Control Volume posted:

Oh drat they matched blood money? Are the levels bigger or about the same size since I remember them playing up how they learned from absolution's tiny levels

The smallest level in this game, not counting the tutorial, is 8 times bigger than the biggest absolution map. I'd say probably bigger than any BM map and more complex.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

frank.club posted:

The smallest level in this game, not counting the tutorial, is 8 times bigger than the biggest absolution map. I'd say probably bigger than any BM map and more complex.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the game's good OP, ive heard nothing but good things about it and the sale is a great deal. giant bomb also has quicklooks of every chapter if you need more convincing

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

it's peak hitman. they took the good stuff from blood money (everything) and the good stuff from absolution (the controls and nothing else) and made the levels really big and intricate. you can spend hours playing one level and still find new stuff.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
It is extremely fun, and better than Blood Money, which I've said two times now in the past couple days.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I dont like it as much as Blood Money but ya it's rly good

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
It really is heartwarming to see IO finally make a good game again.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The shooting and fighting aren't as Good as 2/contracts/blood money but its still good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh poo poo I completely ignored that after Absolution and hearing it was going to have the incredibly aids season system. Glad I'm proven wrong.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It would've been better to get everything all at once yeah but they made sure to pack every map with enough stuff to keep you occupied. The elusive contracts are pretty neat and I'd wish they find a way to do another Gary Buesy one. The only thing that remains aids is that you have to be connected online to use your unlocks and even unlock anything, which is totally dumb.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I just got the full game in the Black Friday sale and it's really good. Turn off the x ray vision and turn off or minimize the assassination hints. I've only really played the Paris fashion show level but it's huge and packed with detail. There are dozens of different ways to take out targets. It's probably a bit easier and more scripted than Blood Money but oh well. You could spend a long time just wandering around the level eavesdropping for Intel or finding unique people to undress, and apparently the level in Italy is even more detailed.

The game had me when I walked the catwalk dressed as a male model. And that was without getting hints, just kinda figuring stuff out organically. Kinda bummed there's no "gotta check you, whitebread" Danish racism tho

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 28, 2016

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Meatwad is God

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i plyed paris for like eight hours friday nd as soon as i get some job apps done tonight im gonna do it again for more unlocks

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
im too dumb for this game

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

for me its the opposite. im so smart everything just seems trivial, i play with no assists but my mind immediately makes the connections and they appear in front of me like augmented reality

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

im too dumb for this game

I died on the second tutorial mission like 8 times and couldn't figure it out. at one point I played chess with a guy but I didn't know how I could turn that into killing a man

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

trying to jack off posted:

for me its the opposite. im so smart everything just seems trivial, i play with no assists but my mind immediately makes the connections and they appear in front of me like augmented reality

sounds boring

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They're releasing a big patch today to get rid of a lot of the bad always online requirements.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not really, you can't unlock new things offline, just use the ones you've already unlocked.

Games good tho, I don't really notice the always online stuff.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

In Training posted:

I died on the second tutorial mission like 8 times and couldn't figure it out. at one point I played chess with a guy but I didn't know how I could turn that into killing a man

You can track things in the menu and get prompts on when to do stuff. if you've never played a hitman game before, that's what you should do until you get a feel for the game. I don't think it's very hard once you get the rhythm.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

People are saying this is like blood money so you should just be able to throw a million coins to lure a cop over to a corner, murder him, take his uniform, and do whatever you want

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Control Volume posted:

People are saying this is like blood money so you should just be able to throw a million coins to lure a cop over to a corner, murder him, take his uniform, and do whatever you want

yeah you can do that

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

im waiting for it to be finished before i play it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

im waiting for it to be finished before i play it

its finished

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
So is "season 2" going to be a separate game or a full size addon to the S1 application?

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

So is "season 2" going to be a separate game or a full size addon to the S1 application?

From what I've been reading it looks like it should be using the same platform this game does. But I can't imagine it requiring an install of S1 because the game takes up a lot of storage as is.

ReWinter
Nov 23, 2008

Perpetually Perturbed

frank.club posted:

The only thing that remains aids is that you have to be connected online to use your unlocks and even unlock anything, which is totally dumb.

they fixed this today in a patch, like about three or four hours ago.

so now anything you unlock online gets copied into your offline profile, so when their servers go down (which was a problem early on but I think hasn't happened for ages?) you can still play with your toys.

this game has less levels than Blood Money but they are much, much, much bigger and more intricate

and also I can't be the only one that thinks the later levels of blood money were not as good and while this game is not 100% consistent there aren't any bad levels. the final release of the season is up there with early favorite Sapienza for me.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I just found out that Gary Busey was one of the elusive targets :hellyeah:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I got this on sale as well. I'm only on Sapienza because I'm playing it slow and savouring every map, mastering them all before I move on.

It's really good and I'll basically play it forever as long as they keep making more. I miss some of the options from Blood Money like human shields and some other stuff I can't remember, and sometimes it does that annoying thing where you can't interact with stuff it looks like you should be able to interact with - I tried to drown a target in the toilet or inject her with poison after knocking her out and couldn't - but it's no big deal and they keep improving it and adding new stuff.

Sapienza is great but I find it kinda weird how much of the map is wasted... outside the villa itself, there are so many shops and apartments and stuff to break into and things to find but there are only like two or three things that are actually useful or decent for the mission. I guess that's where contracts and elusive targets and escalations come in. I love this game

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Did anyone ever get human shields to work in blood money? Every time I tried it they just shot me through the guy

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I just found out that Gary Busey was one of the elusive targets :hellyeah:

I threw an explosive golf ball at him.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I mostly just used human shields to drag targets to high places and throw them off. You can't do that now unless they lean on a balcony or something and you get a prompt to push them. I miss killing a dude by shoving him down the stairs like the world's shittiest rent-a-killer

like i said this stuff is v minor but i hope they keep adding moves and options. they just added being able to pull people off a ledge so im hopeful

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I only ever used them to cheese Silent Assassin rankings without using the sedative injections by just pistol whipping people.

I still remember the bride going "THANK GAWD!" when you murdered her hillbilly husband for the insurance money. Blood Money was so good.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bumping into the newly rich bride at the heaven and hell party and giving her the ol' hitman wink

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Best blood money moment was playing through the slow burning story of a rival hitman group when it suddenly reveals that you have to infiltrate the white house to kill the vice president, who was plotting against you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

bumping into the newly rich bride at the heaven and hell party and giving her the ol' hitman wink

Woah, what? I remember seeing her mentioned in the Vegas newspaper article because she's gambling away her windfall in true redneck fashion but never knew about this. The HD Hitman collection has been sitting on my PS3 forever. I gotta revisit Blood Money when I'm done with the new one.

• Locked thread