Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I listen to every ep 2-3 times so really its like hearing the same story 6-9 times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I listen to every ep 2-3 times so really its like hearing the same story 6-9 times

what in the hell

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

red19fire posted:

VV yeah, his last 3 consecutive specials have jokes about getting peed on by transsexual prostitutes.

"Write what you know" they say.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I'm not expecting UYD to be exactly like cum town, I'm just looking for a good starting place, especially if their earlier material is better overall. Like if it was the simpsons people would say "seasons 3 through 10" what's a general range, or better yet specific episodes worth listening to?

watch episode 100, the joke video episode.

127, seth really diving into acting out every story and jah cant handle it

100-130 or so is a really good run.

418 with Boo-B-Trap.

A good starting place is youtube, honestly.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bZHWNXW1NY

if you get in early you get to hear Jah-nathan's Poetry.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Maybe you should do something else?

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
This Year podcast has done some great yearly compilations that are a solid jumping on point.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

i know this life well, friend. cum town is so dense with jokes, bits, goofs and gags that i usually listen to every episode 3 times - mostly while doing other things like drugs and video games

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Under the vegetable posted:

This Year podcast has done some great yearly compilations that are a solid jumping on point.

This is how I originally listened to UYD. The back catalogue can be intimidating, but This Year comps offer a good way to get a snapshot of the show's arc over the last decade. I eventually listened from episode 1 to present which cemented UYD as one of the funniest things I've ever heard/watched. It rules.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
so was the David Cross episode supposed to be Between 2 Ferns style of discomfort? It seemed that way until a later episode when the guys refer back to it based on listener comments, so now i dont know whats real anymore

my favorite part was at the end when Dave said "I guess in terms of plugs-" and the guys are just talking over the top of him and end the call

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

LentThem posted:

so was the David Cross episode supposed to be Between 2 Ferns style of discomfort? It seemed that way until a later episode when the guys refer back to it based on listener comments, so now i dont know whats real anymore

my favorite part was at the end when Dave said "I guess in terms of plugs-" and the guys are just talking over the top of him and end the call

it was a bit, and david was in on the bit.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

kidsam posted:

yeah I doubt any of them are in this forum but this podcast has some pretty insane fans who would probably hate uyd.

Literally afraid to say I listen to cum town for fear of finding what a prototypical fan would look like.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Yeah I've seen a lot of cum town/Chapo toadies on Twitter and other sites and they kept me from checking out either cast for months. Both are great though so it's just another case of turbo-aggressive internet fan nerds being dipshits. Reminds me of the people who are big into YouTube personalities.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

incoherent posted:

Literally afraid to say I listen to cum town for fear of finding what a prototypical fan would look like.

Stan Taylor posted:

Yeah I've seen a lot of cum town/Chapo toadies on Twitter and other sites and they kept me from checking out either cast for months. Both are great though so it's just another case of turbo-aggressive internet fan nerds being dipshits. Reminds me of the people who are big into YouTube personalities.

chapo dork:

cum town mutant:

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Under the vegetable posted:

it was a bit, and david was in on the bit.

okay there were parts where it felt like they were messaging on a computer at the same time so theyd hit the beats in the audio. the only thing throwing me off was the discussion about listener comments 2 episodes later

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

padijun posted:

chapo dork:

cum town mutant:

Proud to be associated with honorable union labor leader Joe Ligotti

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

cum town live show is pretty good so far but i wish the guests would be in their group discussion for their set instead of just doing a comedy routine. yeah homeward bound lol ok dude gimme more bits of nick talking about nightmare on elm street

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
So is the live episode some type of super irony where it's purposely a bunch of bad comics? Is making the audience sit through a terrible hacky comedy show the joke?

yoober
Nov 21, 2010

some of the funny moms guests have been good, some not, maybe you get what you get when you're trying to fill slots at the "cum town" show

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
my technique is to listen to the comics for a few jokes and then fast forward if they're not funny

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Regulus74 posted:

So is the live episode some type of super irony where it's purposely a bunch of bad comics? Is making the audience sit through a terrible hacky comedy show the joke?

welcome to stand-up

How Much Art
Oct 29, 2003
Trampoline Destroys Bear
The only comic I liked that they've had on Funny Moms (who I didn't already know) was Jordan Temple, he was pretty funny.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

HolePisser1982 posted:

my technique is to listen to the comics for a few jokes and then fast forward if they're not funny

same

Lurks Morington
Aug 7, 2016

by Smythe
Petey datboy or whoever killed me with his "...and Jesus wept" bit. 'What's wrong?' 'Nothing in particular just a lot of small stuff'. I liked the iud lady before, but her set was basically the same as before. Understandable, but alt-y comedy doesn't work great the second time around for me.

I haven't see a ton of comedy shows live, but I really hate when comedians comment on the crowd's reaction. Like, dude, I didn't know you were bombing until you said something. Particularly because it's all depressed person funny observations and poo poo. It's no 'who here likes sex, I'd drink yo bath water' type rolling on the floor sets.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

podcast live shows always suck

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
That wasn't alt comedy at all, that was a few NYC comedians using the NYC standard cadence and delivery to tell jokes from the laziest/most obvious premises possible. It's like literally the kind of poo poo that alt comedy was a reaction to. Out of the three non cum boy guests only the guy from Legion of Skanks did anything that wasn't totally hacky and it didn't go over because he's not funny.

I posted before I was finished listening to the show. Nick, Stav, and Adam picked it up but out of everyone on that show only Nick had a good set. They should just do a panel instead of short individual sets.

AndrewP posted:

podcast live shows always suck

I agree. WTF pulls it off sometimes but you still have to listen to Maron so not really.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

nicks set for the live show was all jokes he's either told on the podcast or tweeted months ago

adams set was more of a sad series of stories than funny

stav reigns supreme as standup king

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Regulus74 posted:

No, that's just a typical stand-up comedy show in New York City. For what it's worth, I enjoyed Mateo Lane and would have loved to hear more of him. drat his other life engagements.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

stav's set was fine

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

nicks set for the live show was all jokes he's either told on the podcast or tweeted months ago

That's how ya do it

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Man, their roast battles on YouTube

You're gay
You look like you beat up gays
But are also gay
You probably gently caress kids
You're half as gay as the kids you gently caress
Because you're a gay pedophile
Also you're a fat gently caress
That's the mustache of a man who touches kids inappropriately

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Weev wouldn't go on Cum Town because he thought the name of the podcast would make him look degenerate to his Nazi friends.

:cawg:

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

prefect posted:

Weev wouldn't go on Cum Town because he thought the name of the podcast would make him look degenerate to his Nazi friends.

:cawg:

wonderful hot takes that float back and forth.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I was listening to Goatee Era Segal and in the middle of the episode Nick does an ad for underwear that sounded real. It sounded like the ads Scott Aukerman does on Comedy Bang Bang where he tries to sound ironic and detached but you can hear the shame in his voice.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I was listening to Goatee Era Segal and in the middle of the episode Nick does an ad for underwear that sounded real. It sounded like the ads Scott Aukerman does on Comedy Bang Bang where he tries to sound ironic and detached but you can hear the shame in his voice.

even the underwear company won't print Cum Town

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ya it seems like they had a sponsor for two of the free eps but haven't heard about it since. Presumably no one bought the underwear.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

even the underwear company won't print Cum Town
lol

Also on the Seagal episode they mention doing a bit about fake When Harry Met Sally orgasms on a previous episode, which one was that?

edit:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Jesus christ this is killing me

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
Trey Gowdy DESTROYS rape victim
SaxonFury

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

latest ep with wide dick willy is really good

• Locked thread