Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Alexander DeLarge posted:

At this point, I think it's fair to say that they either don't care about it or someone is protecting it from EA's lawyers. Galaxies-related projects have gotten plenty of publicity long-term and the only thing that got Galaxy in Turmoil (Battlefront III fan game) shut down was Electronic Arts. LucasFilm was completely open to working with them but EA has an exclusive contract on Star Wars games for the next ten years.

If anyone is going to shut this down, it's going to be Electronic Arts because "it's taking away from The Old Republic/the rumored Destiny: Star Wars edition project".

If they were going to take action at all, they would have done so already against the SWGEmu community. I highly doubt they will be coming gunning for this or any SWG related project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

If anyone is going to shut this down, it's going to be Electronic Arts because "it's taking away from The Old Republic/the rumored Destiny: Star Wars edition project".

If they aren't selling it and the code is all original code (even if reverse-engineered from a trademarked binary to reproduce it), then it should be a-ok.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Vriess posted:

If they aren't selling it and the code is all original code (even if reverse-engineered from a trademarked binary to reproduce it), then it should be a-ok.

That's not how IP law works.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Vriess posted:

No.

In fact, now that Disney owns the trademark, you're actually extra hosed.

FireWhizzle fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 6, 2016

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's legal as long as you delete the client after 24 hours

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Pretty sure that if you drop it and then pick it back up within 10 seconds, its fine.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

At this point, I think it's fair to say that they either don't care about it or someone is protecting it from EA's lawyers. Galaxies-related projects have gotten plenty of publicity long-term and the only thing that got Galaxy in Turmoil (Battlefront III fan game) shut down was Electronic Arts. LucasFilm was completely open to working with them but EA has an exclusive contract on Star Wars games for the next ten years.

I joked about an open world Star Wars game that was like Destiny, I didn't think it would ever actually be a real thing. :eyepop:

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

Pretty sure that if you drop it and then pick it back up within 10 seconds, its fine.

The five second rule clearly applies here.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't bother, the server always lands butter-side down.

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

Don't make me do this again.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Levarris posted:

Yeah, I think most of us that got together on Bloodfin once before will all join me in the general feeling of not wanting to touch that horrible server again with a 50 foot pole, and I was a developer there at the time we had Goon Squad running around there.

There are so many reasons why Bloodfin is literally the worst poo poo show in the entire emu scene but I won't get into that.

So I know you said you don't want to get into why Bloodfin is complete poo poo, but I've been enjoying playing there and have been thinking about doing some dev work for them maybe (I'm reasonably competent with C++ and Lua). Could you elaborate on it a bit?

I know that they have a reputation for being huge drama queens, and some of the things I've seen there were pretty bad, but it's both genuinely enjoyable for me and there's a bunch of obvious places (like missing strings or w/e) that could be improved. Was Heat and/or Roses huge shithead about stuff that should be worked on? They seem like the type.

e: I did read the previous Bloodfin thread. Was more wondering what the development side of things is like.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 8, 2016

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Private Speech posted:

So I know you said you don't want to get into why Bloodfin is complete poo poo, but I've been enjoying playing there and have been thinking about doing some dev work for them maybe (I'm reasonably competent with C++ and Lua). Could you elaborate on it a bit?

I know that they have a reputation for being huge drama queens, and some of the things I've seen there were pretty bad, but it's both genuinely enjoyable for me and there's a bunch of obvious places (like missing strings or w/e) that could be improved. Was Heat and/or Roses huge shithead about stuff that should be worked on? They seem like the type.

e: I did read the previous Bloodfin thread. Was more wondering what the development side of things is like.

Heat is a very old friend and a good person, his wife is not. So I limit my criticisms of Bloodfin out of respect to my friend.

As far as their development process, they don't work with a repository, they work in their own environments then manually copy and paste poo poo to their server. It's kind of a clusterfuck, or it was when I was there.

They have a tendency to not go through proper vetting and testing of new code before they push it to their server like they did last year when Heat made his pseudo implementation of JTL prompting a complete wipe of their database which he blamed on hackers.

They also love to borrow work from anywhere they can without giving proper credit to its original creators, unless that creator is me pretty much. As far as Roses being called a developer? That joke has never gotten old to me.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Levarris posted:

Heat is a very old friend and a good person, his wife is not. So I limit my criticisms of Bloodfin out of respect to my friend.

As far as their development process, they don't work with a repository, they work in their own environments then manually copy and paste poo poo to their server. It's kind of a clusterfuck, or it was when I was there.

Oh god that sounds a lot worse than I thought. How do you even have a multi-person project, or a project of an complexity for that matter, without a versioning repo? I guess you can send patches, but for projects the size of swg, just, ugh.

quote:

They have a tendency to not go through proper vetting and testing of new code before they push it to their server like they did last year when Heat made his pseudo implementation of JTL prompting a complete wipe of their database which he blamed on hackers.

Hey if it's good enough for a many-million-dollar engineering company ... (god how I wish I was joking here :( )

Anyway I'll think about it I guess. I've had a look through the core3 source code and it seems fairly workable. I don't have a lot of side stuff going right now so it might be good for me to get involved with something again. Thanks for sharing though!

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Private Speech posted:

Oh god that sounds a lot worse than I thought. How do you even have a multi-person project, or a project of an complexity for that matter, without a versioning repo? I guess you can send patches, but for projects the size of swg, just, ugh.

Hey if it's good enough for a many-million-dollar engineering company ... (god how I wish I was joking here :( )

Anyway I'll think about it I guess. I've had a look through the core3 source code and it seems fairly workable. I don't have a lot of side stuff going right now so it might be good for me to get involved with something again. Thanks for sharing though!

All depending on just what you want to do, I might entertain the notion of you taking a peek at some of my work to see if it's something you might want to get on board.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Levarris posted:

All depending on just what you want to do, I might entertain the notion of you taking a peek at some of my work to see if it's something you might want to get on board.

I'd rather do some small fixes, tweaks and changes than get into anything big, if they'll even let me do that. Plus I don't actually mind playing on Bloodfin, warts and all, so there's that. I'll try out Stella Bellum when it goes online though.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FireWhizzle posted:

I swear to Quahog, these damned brits think they can do anything after brexit. Ahdinko called me at 3am to start plotting the next great insurrection/takeover.

Double Oh Seven, 100% trustworthy new guy that wants militia and zoning rights in your city checking in. Also, can my bud Taylors Swift get the same? thanks.

Oh how eager I am to resurrect S*H*I*T*S.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
The discord link is broke, what are we using?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Ahdinko posted:

Up to you, guild leader.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Ahdinko posted:

This link will never expire
https://discord.gg/BptnaPJ

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Thanks alex, i'm in. Ready for server takeover if it doesn't poo poo itself on day 1 due to load.

Client install guide is here, it downloads the full SWG client for you:
https://forums.stellabellum.net/index.php/topic,576.0.html

Use the bit for "option 2's 2nd option"

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 14, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
PSA to anyone ignoring the thread about the client, apparently the Steam version gave them some issues.

SWGEmu works with Steam but Stella Bellum doesn't. Get your download started if you have slow internet.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Live release has been pushed back to Dec 23.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
I support their pushing the launch back a week. Especially if it gives them an opportunity to plug a serious vulnerability that I know of in their server code.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

fake edit: I can't read, launch was pushed back.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
So is this the original with Creature handlers etc. Or the nerfed one where everyone became a Jedi?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

bad-yeti posted:

So is this the original with Creature handlers etc. Or the nerfed one where everyone became a Jedi?

The latter.

For the former, your best bet is swgemu's Basilisk server, which is just a snapshot of the game from the last patch prior to the "Combat Upgrade" (I think Patch 13?). Still in development though. Last time a bunch of goons played there was like three years ago and it was amazing, but I don't think we'll ever get numbers of people like that again until the "live" Suncrusher server is deployed. And I don't think Creature Handler / Droid Engineer were really enjoyably playable last time, but apparently the SWGEmu development has come quite a ways in those three years?

Then awhile back we all tried again on Bloodfin, which takes a more active development role in adding new features, but that was a flash in the pan for goons.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.

Drone posted:

The latter.

For the former, your best bet is swgemu's Basilisk server, which is just a snapshot of the game from the last patch prior to the "Combat Upgrade" (I think Patch 13?). Still in development though. Last time a bunch of goons played there was like three years ago and it was amazing, but I don't think we'll ever get numbers of people like that again until the "live" Suncrusher server is deployed. And I don't think Creature Handler / Droid Engineer were really enjoyably playable last time, but apparently the SWGEmu development has come quite a ways in those three years?

Then awhile back we all tried again on Bloodfin, which takes a more active development role in adding new features, but that was a flash in the pan for goons.

SO you can start again as a creature handler? If it's a snapshot does that mean that it's got all the old buildings etc?

Will look that up, thank you.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

bad-yeti posted:

SO you can start again as a creature handler? If it's a snapshot does that mean that it's got all the old buildings etc?

Will look that up, thank you.

Er, it has all the old cities and whatnot, yeah. The biggest feature that's still forthcoming for the "official" SWGEmu project (which this thread isn't about) is the Jump to Lightspeed expansion stuff.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

bad-yeti posted:

Truth be told in the NGE, Jedi is pretty useless in organized PvP. Most people by the point the game got to the point where Stella Bellum is realized that.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Speaking as a Galaxies launch/Pre-CU Jedi player, I'd rather play 2011-era NGE than on the emulator's Basilisk. I know Basilisk hasn't wiped in a very long time, but it will and even when it launches, it's going to lack a ton of content that people are going to miss. Then again, I'm not involved in the Ultima Online/Everquest/World of Warcraft nostalgia shards either.

I want to go forward rather than backwards and I think Stella Bellum has a great shot at doing that if it picks up a community.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
Now i'm confused so are all these different servers run by individual people all staged off the game as it was at a different point in time?

If I go for one of the newer mods then there is no creature handler character right?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SWGEmu: basically the vanilla SWG experience. The devs have specifically said that they won't be adding any "new" content, rather restoring the game as it was, warts and all. This is basically playing the game as it existed in like 2004 or whenever.
Bloodfin: based on the same codebase, but with a dev team that is continuing development with new features/planets, and taking some of the better things about the NGE. I believe the project is plagued by politics though?
Stella Bellum: as far as I understand it, totally NGE. Not sure if the devs are going for a sort of museum mentality that SWGEmu has, or if they are also building new poo poo.

(Un?)fortunately I didn't play NGE so I don't know if Creature Handler is on Stella Bellum. I thought they removed a lot of those classes to simplify it down to soldier/pilot/smuggler/jedi, but I could be wrong.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 20, 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

bad-yeti posted:

Now i'm confused so are all these different servers run by individual people all staged off the game as it was at a different point in time?

If I go for one of the newer mods then there is no creature handler character right?

SWGEmu is an emulator emulating the game as it was before the Combat Upgrade, Basilisk is a pure version ran by the SWGEmu team, Bloodfin is a modded version that I would not recommend

There are no projects emulating Combat Upgrade that I know of

Stella Bellum is a snapshot of the live server before it shut down in 2011 post-"New Game Enhancements", has Beast Master in there, features JTL+Rage of the Wookies+Trials of Obi Wan+whatever patches came out until 2011.

bad-yeti
Jul 29, 2004

Space Yeti.
Looks like Stella Bellum is the one for me then :)

So happy i've found this.

Thank you one and all.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Levarris posted:

Truth be told in the NGE, Jedi is pretty useless in organized PvP. Most people by the point the game got to the point where Stella Bellum is realized that.

I am the person that unironically chose NGE Jedi because no matter how terrible it is I have a thing for glowbat-wielding space wizards. I still remember a friend and I going through some of the content together.

"Okay, now we need to go to the crystal cave to get our lightsaber crystals!"
*arrives at a cave entrance with gigantic, gaudy crystal deposits popping out of it*
"Well. That sure is a crystal cave."

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I'm the person who got mad that they added jedi as a base class because it's not era appropriate. :mad:

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

TerminalSaint posted:

I'm the person who got mad that they added jedi as a base class because it's not era appropriate. :mad:

I won't argue that it wasn't silly. In an alternate timeline where they kept one of the Jedi grinds in NGE I would've done that instead.

On the plus side, I remember JTL being quite fun, and I look forward to finally doing that content again.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

Conskill posted:

I remember JTL being quite fun, and I look forward to finally doing that content again.

I too miss JTL. But I also miss playing my bounty hunter.....

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

TerminalSaint posted:

I was the person who got mad that they added jedi as a base class as i did the entire loving village grind like a month before

mistetravn posted:

I too miss JTL. But I also miss playing my bounty hunter.....

I also have fond memories of JTL, I'd like to give that a shot again. I think they said for Stella Bellum there's a 7 character limit so you can have whatever you want, and IIRC pilot skills are trainable with other classes too so you can be a pilot bounty hunter mans. Didn't they have atmospheric flight near the end of SWG too?

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ahdinko posted:

I also have fond memories of JTL, I'd like to give that a shot again. I think they said for Stella Bellum there's a 7 character limit so you can have whatever you want, and IIRC pilot skills are trainable with other classes too so you can be a pilot bounty hunter mans. Didn't they have atmospheric flight near the end of SWG too?

I believe it was being developed right before cancellation and they just kinda activated it as-is, bugs and all. At least, from the video I saw of it (which was the GiantBomb stream the day the servers went offline).