Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
They weren't thinking of Stella bellum they were thinking of dark light I'm pretty sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

30.5 Days posted:

They weren't thinking of Stella bellum they were thinking of dark light I'm pretty sure

Darklight SWG? That was myself and Synge, and that project was tossed out because it was broken garbage, not due to any drama like that. I think there were only a handful of people that were even interested in it.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
I miss Stardust! After I burned out on supplying armor and arms to our small community for what felt like forever I got into something else and kinda moved on before all of the drama, but it was a refreshing take on SWG. Afterlife brought it back mostly and I hit Jedi there too, but they made the XP requirements for building a template way higher and it just become too much. I never did their new content - they archived the DB and said they would bring it back if there was enough interest.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

HiriseSoftware posted:

I miss Stardust! After I burned out on supplying armor and arms to our small community for what felt like forever I got into something else and kinda moved on before all of the drama, but it was a refreshing take on SWG. Afterlife brought it back mostly and I hit Jedi there too, but they made the XP requirements for building a template way higher and it just become too much. I never did their new content - they archived the DB and said they would bring it back if there was enough interest.

I wasn't aware they made any new content, just the content that I created with a few tweaks.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Levarris posted:

I wasn't aware they made any new content, just the content that I created with a few tweaks.

Shows you how much I remember, I googled "stardust exar kun" and a video came up. Woops! Yeah, I never did the new content on SD, that's why I thought it was Afterlife's, but I guess they did tweak stuff. I'm glad the Jaaku instance stayed, that place was awesome for grinding :)

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
the intro to this server's old trailer really captures the energy that causes these projects to fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AeHyI9HP7Q

all the spinoffs may end in drama but swgemu still chugs along over a decade later, gotta give them credit for that

Goast fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Mar 15, 2022

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Goast posted:

the intro to this server's old trailer really captures the energy that causes these projects to fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AeHyI9HP7Q

all the spinoffs may end in drama but swgemu still chugs along over a decade later, gotta give them credit for that

Rofl. I haven't seen that video in ages and it's on my own youtube channel. I am curious how you found it considering that it's unlisted. There is a backstory to the audio clip in there though. "Elysium" as it was called, is what for me came before Stardust. We basically tried to build a better NGE within a pre-cu environment. By the time we finished it though NGE leaked source servers existed and it was basically redundant. We gave up on it like a few weeks after launch when we had a whopping 15 people on the server.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 15, 2022

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
Is anyone playing on Legends? I am having some fun but I really want to join a player city with non-grognards.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Is anyone playing on Legends? I am having some fun but I really want to join a player city with non-grognards.

I’m still playing, Having a good time being casually affiliated with Death before Dishonor. Do you have PMs?

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Lurken posted:

I’m still playing, Having a good time being casually affiliated with Death before Dishonor. Do you have PMs?

Yeah, you can also find my character as Kylo'ren

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Getting the Galaxies itch again. Haven't seen any posts in a few months. What server are goons still playing on?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Just looked up Empire in Flames and it sounds promising. Any goons there?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Lurken posted:

Is that the same guild from Lowca or is that just a common-enough name that somebody was going to use it?

Any EMU servers worth a drat right now? Kind of feel like loving around assuming they haven't updated the graphics requirements or something.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 27, 2022

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

tadashi posted:

Is that the same guild from Lowca or is that just a common-enough name that somebody was going to use it?

Any EMU servers worth a drat right now? Kind of feel like loving around assuming they haven't updated the graphics requirements or something.

That’s a great question, I was from starsider (before it was cool, might I add), and I havent thought to ask.

Legends is pretty great. Active community, they push new updates out relatively frequently, it’s a good time.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

tadashi posted:

Death before dishonor is a pretty common term in America especially concerning military, war, etc. I would very surprised if it’s the same. Astonished actually.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

Yeah. I'm on there. Slowly doing the ace of aces thing on one character. I've yet to get into heroics and such yet, so not properly equipped for anything yet on the ground.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Basilisk was finally retired. RIP to the bones of Goontown.

Legit shocked that the Mantina had like a decade's worth of maint pumped into it at some point.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Maintenance was pretty cheap going off memory, and the circuit we made with the hijacked pubby town down south was stupid profitable.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Is there a no-BS guide to all of the different servers these days? I'm looking for Pre-CU, minimum nepotism/drama, and very open to the idea of accelerated XP, but wouldn't sacrifice the other two for it.

E: Started on Finalizer. What's the best way to get some credits on your first character? Erotic roleplay in the cantinas?

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 28, 2023

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
dead thread, but I'll respond to this:

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Is there a no-BS guide to all of the different servers these days? I'm looking for Pre-CU, minimum nepotism/drama, and very open to the idea of accelerated XP, but wouldn't sacrifice the other two for it.

E: Started on Finalizer. What's the best way to get some credits on your first character? Erotic roleplay in the cantinas?

missions are the surest way to slowly build into a decent money pile on a fresh character. Once you get ~40k, get an upgraded weapon for whatever combat style you settled on. That should carry you all the way to a finished template, when you can start working on an "end game" weapon. Pick up armor after the weapon, and start getting buffs when you get to solo mission payouts of about 3k/per. Try to get missions for animals that don't have too many state effects.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Basilisk was finally retired. RIP to the bones of Goontown.

Legit shocked that the Mantina had like a decade's worth of maint pumped into it at some point.

mant

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
Anyone have info on swg restoration? It's the first server I've seen that doesn't require game discs and I've always wanted to try swg, but they didn't really have a good new player guide and I had no idea what was going on, just that han solo wanted me to make a speeder then a mayor wanted me to look at bugs and poo poo haha.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Elblanco posted:

Anyone have info on swg restoration? It's the first server I've seen that doesn't require game discs and I've always wanted to try swg, but they didn't really have a good new player guide and I had no idea what was going on, just that han solo wanted me to make a speeder then a mayor wanted me to look at bugs and poo poo haha.

Resto is based on a period of SWG that only lasted for a couple of months. It's absolutely my favourite period of the game, but even the live game at that time was very broken. I'd start with the various theme parks (rebel, imperial, jabba, nym) if you're looking for (bare minimum) storyline content. Then it's worth doing the Hero of Tattooine questline which is from memory is easily soloable post-CU and worth it for the self-rez artifact. Beyond that the Jedi grind is far more accessible than it is in a lot of pre-CU environments and pretty regimented in terms of 'do x to get y.'

Resto also has Jump to Lightspeed implementation so you can work your way through the various pilot factions and squadrons. It's repetitive and grindy but if you're playing SWG and enjoying it that should be right up your street :v:

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

Man... This guild I'm in on the restoration server feels like a bunch of redditors shitposting. Hard R-words, and at least one anti-semetic/racist person, and the alliance part is no better, with covid denial and misinformation poo poo... I just want a decent guild that doesn't do all that crap...

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
I ran into the same poo poo on Finalizer (SWGemu). It was like going back in time 20 years, both in terms of the game's vintage and the edgelord bullshit.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I've been casually chilling with a group of pubbies on Finalizer now and haven't run into anything weird or problematic in our city chat (New Hope City on Tat). Generally it's all been pretty chill.

YMMV though I guess.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is anyone else playing on SWG Restoration?

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
I stopped when I realized that it always skips the tutorial and that's why I couldn't figure poo poo out so I'm not sure if I'll play. But I'd be willing to try with some other people.

LordOfTheNoobs
Sep 7, 2009

I'm on Restoration as a bounty hunter/creature handler.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
Anybody still on Legends? New patch notes just dropped for the start of their Empire Day event and apparently they added the Assault Gunboat from TIE Fighter. Tryna find pictures but it’s still so wild to me that SWG is receiving updates in various forms in TYOOL 2023

https://swglegends.com/forums/showthread.php?63812-Development-Update-June-2023&p=658011#post658011

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Legends might be fun to check out. I havent been playing SWG because been super busy with other games.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer
legends is fun i played a few alts to max there

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
There's a ton more people on Legends, but I just started playing on Restoration, I haven't yet given the CU combat emu servers a shot. I figure I might as well. Legends seems to have a lot more support for the client with UI mods to help with resolution issues and the like, however.

Using the same as my username in game or noisecomplaint on Discord if anyone's around on Restoration. I might be convinced to play on Legends if there's a group starting there, though.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

After spending a few days on Restoration, I have to say that it really is the most fun version of SWG for me. A lot of quality of life stuff, tons of quest lines, collections to do, combat actually has buttons to press. It still has the full sandbox but with fully implemented GCW stuff. The Restoration guys are actively doing passes on the classes as well. Smuggler is about to get a bit of an overhaul according to their devs on Discord.

I joined some tiny guild that's barely online, but I'm going to talk to another one tonight and see if I can get in. The server is decently populated at all hours, but small enough that even 4-5 very active players in a guild could be a powerhouse.

The game actually looks pretty drat good still with the various hi-res texture packs/mods, reshade, and some tweaks to make the UI work at high resolutions.

I'm doing the Legacy quest chain right now and it starts you off with a speeder, some weapons, and massive amounts of experience for doing the quest chain. It's actually very fun instead of grinding animal nests for hours.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Oh, I'll jump on Legends and grab that gunboat. Their implementation of JTL has been a lot of fun for me and running space merc missions is an easy and fun way to fund my stupidly-decorated house habit.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah I wound up on Legends just because of the player base and it's been incredible. The combat is extremely not that bad and the sheer amount of content is wild.

The big thing is that the server isn't filled with only die hard SWG people. There's a pretty vibrant community of folks just doing their thing decorating houses, having RP events, Entertainer-playing lifers, etc. Which is what made SWG so great.

They implemented all the late game live stuff along with their own content including hard mode instances, the home brewed Bespin expansion is wild, and with the ILM and other high res client mods the game even looks pretty good. Especially after you change up a system variable to allow the SWG client to use the proper amount of RAM.

I'm definitely going to be sticking with Legends for a long time.

My combat character is Noise Complaint in game, I found a very large guild of pubbies that's extremely chill with no racism or slurs or weird fascist roleplaying in Crusaders of Rejects.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I still haven't had time to play on Legends, but its the SWG with the combat revamp right with only like 9 classes? I really like the original combat and skill system of SWG, but might be worth it to play on Legends to see the other combat system.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I still haven't had time to play on Legends, but its the SWG with the combat revamp right with only like 9 classes? I really like the original combat and skill system of SWG, but might be worth it to play on Legends to see the other combat system.

I thought the classes were NGE and Legends was CU?

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Yeah I signed up on a lark last night and it’s got the class system and JTL, so it’s like CE rather than NGE, I think. Still waiting on admin approval but I plan on rolling a medic and giving it a try, Project Gorgon didn’t do it for me but the big hall of player vendors compelled me to seek out SWG again. I leveled a character to skillcap on Legends in 2017 and again in 2020 or so and had a loving great time, the skill system matters to me but I can accept the more generic one if it still retains all the important stuff and it seems like Legends does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

It's NGE as it was when they shut down the servers plus years of adding onto by the Legends staff. The combat has been improved substantially from the garbage at launch and I would even argue that at this point, it's good. The important thing is you have to assign a button to toggle auto attack and turn on firing abilities from the hotbar, and it plays like any other game's combat system. You target, turn on auto attack, and press abilities on your bar.

The classes are there, but are flexible, with the "missing" classes from launch added back in, or baked in to every class. For example, you can spend points in creature handler and bio engineer on any class. Entertainer has a melee combat tree, trader can use droids and items to do combat, etc.

Once you level a combat class to max, you can switch freely between classes at the respec vendor for a bit of cash. Combat, entertainer, and trader levels are all separate, so you can level all 3 on the same class, and that doesn't go away when you respec, so you can level a class to max in combat, trader, and entertainer and freely spec between. You also get 5 character slots with 3 being allowed to be on at the same time.

The Legends team added their own expansion pack and planet in Bespin which uses more modern textures and looks incredible, also hard mode dungeon.

Legends also works with a series of mods called ILM, which I can post the link to if interested, which upscales quite a few textures in the game. People on their discord have been working hard upscaling textures, models, effects, and updating the UI.

This is what mine looks like with some updated terminal and shuttle textures with the ILM UI. (linked for huge)

https://i.imgur.com/NhXRB7N.jpg

I was vehemently against the NGE game since it came out, but the Legends community sucked me in and I've never had so much fun playing SWG. There's *years* of content and entire planets to catch up on, and theres legit thousands of people on at any given time, it's more active than live SWG servers were.

Last night I was watching a guy in my guild go on a hard mode dungeon run with another guy that decided he was going to be a combat crafter. The guy was kitted out like SWG batman, with cybernetic prosthetics, a completely capped out kimogila pet, special items, throwable weapons, battle rez gloves, etc. The skill trees might not be there, but you can still do whatever the hell you want. Also, you never have to look at another mission terminal again if you don't want to.

If interested, I'd be willing to make a new thread since this one is mostly dead with an effortpost about Legends.

Edit: Also the Staff runs live events like SOE used to, today was Order Fishy Fish, a monthly fishing competition at the Lake Retreat in Naboo.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 9, 2023