Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thank you so much, Noise Complaint! That was super helpful. I am installing Legends right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I want to play legends but I’ve been waiting all day for an admin to approve my account :(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am having trouble with the Legends Launcher working, it's not wanting to do anything when I run it either with or without as admin, and Windows Security isn't giving me any false positives about it being a threat.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I just dropped it in the folder where my SWG files were for SWGemu and ran it as an admin and it seems to work, though I can’t log in to find out on account of lack of approval. Maybe try a fresh reinstall?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Does it have the old school crafting and gathering? I really loved SWG's resource/mining/crafting system and it was a good 80-90% of why I quit when they went pants-on-head stupid "We'll be the WoW killer! ......by copying WoW but doing everything worse."

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

bird food bathtub posted:

Does it have the old school crafting and gathering? I really loved SWG's resource/mining/crafting system and it was a good 80-90% of why I quit when they went pants-on-head stupid "We'll be the WoW killer! ......by copying WoW but doing everything worse."

Yes, the crafting and gathering are in, you can pick between domestics, engineer, munitions, and structures with each trader class speccing into different types of items. The Legends server even has a substantial amount of crafting only players/RP'ers that fund them making outfits, houses, cantinas, droids, etc. Crafting cities with active malls, etc.

I said come in! posted:

I am having trouble with the Legends Launcher working, it's not wanting to do anything when I run it either with or without as admin, and Windows Security isn't giving me any false positives about it being a threat.

Get the DVD Iso from here (r/swg's sidebar link, it's the last DVD they launched and the install from when it went free on Steam.) Install it, drop the legends launcher into the SWG folder and run as admin.

As far as account approvals go, they do it to make sure people aren't creating multiple accounts, if you go onto their discord (https://discord.com/invite/swg-legends) and ask in the CSR Helpdesk, their team is super active and will manually approve you.

A couple things that are an absolute must.

Do not use your 90 boost on a crafter or entertainer, these are easily leveled to max. Entertainer can be leveled entirely afk with a /flourish macro. Trader can be leveled to max with a 400k credit pack, you should level trader as structures and respec after. I can help with crafting materials or you can buy a structure grinding pack from someone selling on on their vendor.

Turn off the god awful NGE controls and put the game back to how it originally played. This is a *must*

For controls. Make sure you check Actions can be Fired from Toolbar.

In the target tab bind Set Intended Target to your left click.

in UI set Select Target and Summon Radial Menu to right click.

and bind Toggle Repeat Auto Attack to a key!

This gets rid of 99% of the complaints about NGE combat and makes it play much more like the original game. You can turn on your auto attack by double clicking or pressing the hotkey, otherwise you have to aim your weapon and it is terrible.

If you are not boosting or starting off fresh you might want to start doing the Legacy quest chain. You also get a free fast speeder once by typing /flash.

If you boost a 90 you will want to do your Katarn armor quest to get your first set of armor. I can write up a little more later, but the Friday Features are a good place to start for information:

https://swglegends.com/forums/showthread.php?20665-*Friday-Features-The-Complete-Collection*

If you're looking for a guild I found a pubbie guild that has some great people and are not tryhard nazis, they have ~5 cities, both factions, new folks and vets, and can set you up with a house. That guild is Crusaders of Rejects [CoRs]

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 10, 2023

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Oh cool there’s a boost? I dig it, probably use that for medic. regarding verification I guess that’s just the way things are now, discord is just inescapable so I’ll hop on and ask, thanks friend

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Once again, Noise Complaint is a legend. I was able to fix my install with your help. I think it's because of that Miles O'Brien avatar.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Once again, Noise Complaint is a legend. I was able to fix my install with your help.

I started playing like just over a week ago and had to go through all of this pain on multiple computers, including all the graphical updates I wanted so I made sure to make notes in case it turned out to be good.

After a week of putting in quite a few hours, I'd probably say that Legends might be the last spark of the old-style MMO.

It's SWG, but with massive quest chains, QOL mechanics like instant travel items, a ton of more housing/cosmetic items, graphical updates available, ongoing actual GCW stuff that people participate in, the hourly city invasions have things to do for crafters, entertainers, and combat classes, and you don't have to flag for PVP to participate. In fact, I prefer doing them on my crafting character with my beefy battle droid body guard.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I thought I'd make a post on the graphic updates/mods, but there's a great thread about them here, even if it's a bit dated. On the Legends discord there is a game-mods channel with pinned things there.
Nicodemus is the r/swg mod and has a MASSIVE repository of information/files/guides on his google drive.

The things I run, most of which are in that thread or Nicodemus's Drive are:

ILM: Massive Overhaul of space textures/effects, some ground textures, sounds, starports. Cuts out all the NGE garbage from the UI as well. It's no longer maintained but you can still get it at Nicodemus's link. This one involves editing your custom.cfg or dropping in his custom.cfg as it loads its files from SWG's tre file format.
Borrie's Better Skies: Skybox overhaul.
SW Legends Login Screen
Better Rain Textures
Mustafar Lava Retexture
Movie Lightsabers
HD Weapon Textures
Mando armor retexture
HQ Eyes
Better animations
HD Terrain Pack

and I have ReShade running with various filters, CMAA, texture sharpening to get it to look right.

Modding isn't for everyone, but I find that at least getting ILM installed brings the game up to date.

If you want to watch a pleasant British fellow with some informational videos on the server Napyet has you covered. This is probably a much better explanation than I can give.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miae17AJAaM

One neat thing to note is that while medics do the classic doctors buffs, and are AFK in medical centers, you just have to stand in front of them, Entertainers are the ones that provide the extremely powerful buffs that last for hours. This is not done AFK, Entertainers have to be at the keyboard and custom tailor your buffs to you. So you have to go watch them and talk to them to get your buffs. You can use this website for ease. This creates social hubs naturally wherever the entertainers are. I've been playing mine quite a bit,, and it's been a blast. Entertainer allows you to go bio engineer, has an unarmed combat tree, and makes pretty good money from tips, as well. It's completely viable to play one if that's your thing, but you will have to do work to stand out or find your clients. Entertainers can give you XP buffs, crafting buffs, and major combat buffs. Here's my totally-not-a-Ferengi. Latnium Bill, Personal Trainer.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 10, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a way to download the necessary patches manually? The launcher is having a real rough time getting all of the patches, the download progress just stalls after one or two patches and I have to restart the launcher, but there are 336 patches to grab so this isn't doable.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Is there a way to download the necessary patches manually? The launcher is having a real rough time getting all of the patches, the download progress just stalls after one or two patches and I have to restart the launcher, but there are 336 patches to grab so this isn't doable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16RYF-i9NNtooZT2TDUpGVum0I3_Nt7aO/view?usp=drive_link

This guy, Nicodemus, has a slightly different way to install it with a download link with the full game that's updated up to April. This might be preferable. You might just try running the Legends launcher outside of the SWG folder and see if it pulls everything down, I already had SWG installed, but I've been told you might not need to install the ISO anymore.

Either way I haven't had issues with running it, are you sure you've got it running as admin?

Edit: I'm cleaning up my directory of any account info and zipping up my install which includes ILM/Texture upscales and a functional UI that works on higher resolution monitors as well as the vulkan renderer which improves performance and I'll put up a link. You can give that a shot or you can strip the patch files from it.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 10, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah made sure each time to have it running as admin. The launcher will throw error messages if you don't. If I just quit the launcher and then open it again, it'll download a few more patches at a time, it's just slow going but I have 21 files left. Then after this I can install of the graphic / UI mods.

And I did make sure to download SWG from the link you provided, and reinstalled the game again, and that helped with getting the launcher to work to begin with.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Here's the link to the ILM update that works with the current version. I've already done the work creating the custom.cfg file so this just has to be dropped into the base SWG folder.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsCjhaPd5kMMiI53AzheNPpkZNlvKw?e=AVXS8A

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Noise Complaint posted:

Here's the link to the ILM update that works with the current version. I've already done the work creating the custom.cfg file so this just has to be dropped into the base SWG folder.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsCjhaPd5kMMiI53AzheNPpkZNlvKw?e=AVXS8A

Oh hell yeah thanks I wasn’t about to do any .cfg updating but I will absolutely drop a file in a folder. Gonna message for approval and do that tomorrow, give legends the old college try

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Frog Act posted:

Oh hell yeah thanks I wasn’t about to do any .cfg updating but I will absolutely drop a file in a folder. Gonna message for approval and do that tomorrow, give legends the old college try

Yeah it used to install with the Legends installer, but the guy who maintained it stopped playing/working on it so they pulled it in case it breaks. Most of the other mods are just dropping some stuff in a textures or ui folder because the game looks for and will use files in the game directory before it goes for the ones in the archive. People have been upscaling stuff like crazy.

Honestly my favorites have been HD textures for paintings, crafting stations, and all the terminals you find in the game.

https://modthegalaxy.com/index.php?resources/hd-swg-textures-paintings.90/

https://modthegalaxy.com/index.php?resources/hd-swg-textures-crafting-stations.92/

https://modthegalaxy.com/index.php?resources/hd-swg-textures-terminals.91/

It seems little, but you'd be surprised how many of the little terminal screens there are everywhere.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Where do all of the players hangout for chatting / role playing?

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Mos Eisley Cantina/Starport is probably the biggest crossroads for people getting buffs and stims, but also individual player cities have activity. There's an event list on the official discord for things like pub crawls to the different active guild cities and the galactic homeshow event.

Quite a few people are in Corellia for the Empire Day events as well.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 10, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay I am liking Legends way more than Restoration and have decided to play just Legends.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Okay I am liking Legends way more than Restoration and have decided to play just Legends.

If you need anything let me know, I have house deeds, I can toss you one and maintenance money if you want. My main is Noise Complaint, or noisecomplaint on discord.

At 10? days, you get your Mustafarian bunker, so save 5 lots for that on a character.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Noise Complaint posted:

If you need anything let me know, I have house deeds, I can toss you one and maintenance money if you want. My main is Noise Complaint, or noisecomplaint on discord.

At 10? days, you get your Mustafarian bunker, so save 5 lots for that on a character.

I lucked out in that I discovered I actually had an account and character from years ago. It looks like I only played it for like two hours and then for whatever reason I stopped. So I have all of the account rewards. But I have a level 90 character that is decked out in level 80 gear, so now its just a matter of saving up for level 90 gear and being able to do that end game content.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I lucked out in that I discovered I actually had an account and character from years ago. It looks like I only played it for like two hours and then for whatever reason I stopped. So I have all of the account rewards. But I have a level 90 character that is decked out in level 80 gear, so now its just a matter of saving up for level 90 gear and being able to do that end game content.

That level 80 gear from a profession is absolute garbage, but there's a quest that gets you acceptable starting armor in an old Clone Trooper set, the Katarn armor chain.

The quest chain is called Avenging Mort and they did a Friday Feature about it. None of the mobs deathblow so you can get through it on pretty much anything.

https://swglegends.com/forums/showthread.php?32233-*Friday-Feature-Katarn-Armor*

Full sets of Primus capped armor with a chest mod baked in are usually about 1mil-1.25mil.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I made my usual Mon Calamari medic and did the extremely embarrassing NGE space station quests, it definitely looks a lot better with the tweaks from ITT, thanks. Seems very different than Legends where the first thing you do is grind womp rats for basic combat experience points, which is neat, and I had major flashbacks to when that actually launched and everyone was so frustrated and confused but it feels fine with old fashioned controls. Name is Ediacara Urey, I’ll probably join that guild

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah I can not express enough how much switching the controls back to normal helps. It's a completely different game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Okay I got my Katarn armor set! Now I need a new weapon.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Okay I got my Katarn armor set! Now I need a new weapon.

What’s your prof? I tend to have a variety of mustafarian weapons lying around and I’d be happy to drop one off for you at my vendor

Theyre not endgame tier, but it definitely will get the job done

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lurken posted:

What’s your prof? I tend to have a variety of mustafarian weapons lying around and I’d be happy to drop one off for you at my vendor

Theyre not endgame tier, but it definitely will get the job done

Noise Complaint just hooked me up with some good stuff! What I need to do now actually is fix my UI. The pop-up UI scroll wheel isn't working for me, it doesn't show for vehicles, and control panels that you can click on, and that is a big problem.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

drat this actually sounds dope as hell, i've never played SWG, is the legends server ok for a newbie?

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
So, if anyone needs some entertainment buffs, I'm all leveled up. I'm Portario Jaz-Drive in game.

queeb posted:

drat this actually sounds dope as hell, i've never played SWG, is the legends server ok for a newbie?

It might be the best newbie option. Legends emulates the latter era "New Game Experience" overhaul, which at the time was lambasted for dumbing down the game. I think it actually made some smart changes, but people were already fed up with the way the game was changing course without warning at that point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Legends is still a very complicated and deep version of SWG, and it feels better to play. The learning curve is pretty steep and there is a ton to learn. Can't say the game is shallow.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Legends is probably the closest to a retail product you're going to get these days. It's actively been updated with new content, the entire space game is working, and it has a large population.

Was SWG ever newbie friendly? Probably not. Is it satisfying when you start learning to play in the sandbox? Absolutely.

The crafting is incredibly complicated, but well documented with tools like https://swgaide.com/ to help you with resource spawns and what you need for schematics.

It's paced more for going on an adventure than it is quick content, it takes 15 minutes to get your stims from an Officer, get your doctor buffs, and get your Entertainer buff from watching/listening to them in the cantina, and if you die you lose them all and have to go back to Mos Eisley or wherever your buffers are and get them again. There's a tool to help you tell your entertainer what to give you: http://entbuff.sipherius.net/legends/. However, you're not required to rush through any content, and some of the adventures come with great stories to tell. The other day I did my first Lost Star Destroyer heroic encounter, which involves a smuggler player flying you in their ship onto a stolen Star Destroyer which you fight your way through, and that was incredible.

There's a lot of learning on your own that you have to do, but between the Legends wiki, Discord and guild communities, all the tools are there.

There's a few youtube videos of people encountering the game in 2023:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSOP-gIJTcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJE3VR66SHM

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 14, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

There's two major community events today on Legends, the first, in 30 minutes, is a cantina crawl across the galaxy

The second is "Execute Order 66 Again." Which is a bit of a mystery

https://swglegends.com/forums/showthread.php?64023-*Execute-Order-66-Again!*

Personally I'm hoping they auto-flag all Jedi on the server as free-for-all PVP. It should be fun.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Is there any stormtrooper RP on any of the servers? The most fun I ever had in an MMO was being in a stormtrooper RP guild in Galaxies. We all wore full stormtrooper armor at all times, refused to break character under any circumstances, and would march through cities asking players about stolen droids until we invariably got killed by some random rebel because stormtrooper armor was terrible. It was the best of times.

Edit: Old recruitment video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykrbEd_SDbA

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 15, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

SimonChris posted:

Is there any stormtrooper RP on any of the servers? The most fun I ever had in an MMO was being in a stormtrooper RP guild in Galaxies. We all wore full stormtrooper armor at all times, refused to break character under any circumstances, and would march through cities asking players about stolen droids until we invariably got killed by some random rebel because stormtrooper armor was terrible. It was the best of times.

Yes there's several different levels of Imperial RP guild depending on how serious you want to be. I see a Stormtrooper guild running about all with "TK-<whatever>" names. The game also has a number of different *trooper armor sets including Snowtrooper armor.

Edit: Cantina Crawl is hoppin'

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 15, 2023

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

SimonChris posted:

Oh yeah, I think IMPS has the vibe you’re looking for

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

An excellent addition to the game.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It works every time!

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

If you're one of the people that's new to the game come see my entertainer in the Eisley cantina and I'll hook you up with buffs and you don't have to worry about tipping. I usually leave it on my 2nd monitor.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Installed and signed up, waiting for admin approval :D Any thoughts on which combat classes would be good for starting out fresh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012

Nur_Neerg posted:

Installed and signed up, waiting for admin approval :D Any thoughts on which combat classes would be good for starting out fresh?

Commando is always a solid choice for leveling up, they’re nice and beefy and have solid damage. Jedi can be enticing as well, just be mindful that there will be exponentially more grinding for your endgame gear.