Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I feel the force flowing through me and my metal pipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
As a pre-CU fanatic explain to me why I should play. I was a rifleman/droid engineer if it helps.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Erev posted:

As a pre-CU fanatic explain to me why I should play. I was a rifleman/droid engineer if it helps.

Because it's free?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Erev posted:

I was all pre-cu before i played this, turns out the thing that ruined the game was CU, this is NGE which is actually decent

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Erev posted:

Because it has 8 years worth of themepark content and won't wipe as long as it survives.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Do I just install the new launcher in the same folder as the previously downloaded files? (I downloaded a single archive as the previous launcher didn't want to work)

Also, is Red Dwarf the live server? I'm still seeing the character I made on test before the new year, so I think I might be pointing at the wrong one. And I can log in, even though the patcher says live is up and test is offline...

Clarence fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jan 3, 2017

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Clarence posted:

Do I just install the new launcher in the same folder as the previously downloaded files? (I downloaded a single archive as the previous launcher didn't want to work)

Also, is Red Dwarf the live server? I'm still seeing the character I made on test before the new year, so I think I might be pointing at the wrong one. And I can log in, even though the patcher says live is up and test is offline...

Right now it sounds like their hardware has poo poo the bed:

https://forums.stellabellum.net/index.php?topic=1307.0

the patcher status thing is just a placeholder thing afaik

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

welp

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

30.5 Days posted:

Please post all drama for the benefit of gawkers tia

So, details are hazy, but here's what we know.

1) The server was up and the address given to a select group of players before any announcement was made. Someone claimed it was up for 3 days, Darth (developer) claims it was a few hours before the meltdown began. It appears that there was no intent to wipe the progress of this lead group until their hands got caught in the cookie jar. This all got leaked and caused Forum Meltdown #1.

2) It is unclear if the server was wiped or not at that point, but Darth announces on Discord that they're doing a "soft launch," only giving the connection info out on Discord. This quickly is leaked and causes Forum Meltdown #2.

3) Things settled down until early this morning the live server died of a HDD failure. I'm not sure I'd call this a forum meltdown point, but at least one person is acting incredibly hurt over it.

The idea of a soft launch wasn't a bad one, but PR doesn't seem to be Darth's thing and they are currently in the process of making the forum outrage even worse .

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

They are going to have to rebuild the database, at this point it looks like there will be a wipe again and we are looking at 1-2 weeks before the server is up.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Jiimy posted:

They are going to have to rebuild the database, at this point it looks like there will be a wipe again and we are looking at 1-2 weeks before the server is up.

One of the devs is currently clarifying that they do not know if it's the controller or the HDD, and if it's the HDD, yup, everything needs to be set up again from the start.

Now I'm a simple country video game player, but I don't understand why aren't they talking about just backing up from their last major revision instead? They... do backups, right?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Conskill posted:

One of the devs is currently clarifying that they do not know if it's the controller or the HDD, and if it's the HDD, yup, everything needs to be set up again from the start.

Now I'm a simple country video game player, but I don't understand why aren't they talking about just backing up from their last major revision instead? They... do backups, right?

Server redundancy is expensive and it hasn't been up for that long. But either way there's a chance it's just a convenient excuse anyway, given the previous drama.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Conskill posted:

The server hadnt quite "gone live" yet so they hadn't done a backup on it. Based on the screenshot of their server, the controller is picking up ok, so I'm pretty sure the disks are hosed and their new live server is gone so they have to get the parts replaced and rebuild it.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Ugh I'm never gonna get to hit darth Vader in the head with a metal pipe now!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
https://forums.stellabellum.net/index.php?topic=1323.0

- Repairs almost done. No wipe
- Probably not today or tomorrow

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I'd be pissed if I lost my healthy pair of jeans.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
Fair points. I'll install and give it a try shortly. What do we need crafting wise?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Erev posted:

Fair points. I'll install and give it a try shortly. What do we need crafting wise?

A server to be live for us to play on :rimshot:

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

LumberingTroll posted:

A server to be live for us to play on :rimshot:

Hah. On the bright side at least I haven't fallen behind then. I've gotten everything installed and setup so I'm good to go whenever the devs get around to making the server work.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Erev posted:

Hah. On the bright side at least I haven't fallen behind then. I've gotten everything installed and setup so I'm good to go whenever the devs get around to making the server work.

Assuming they aren't giving another head start to their friends.

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013

Arcland posted:

Which would be dumb to do, considering everyone else is on edge and will look for/find signs of it (houses, big buildings, swoops) when the server comes back on.

At the very least, I kinda want to see how this all pans out just out of morbid curiosity (dead game, goon supremacy, devs take their code and run, etc).

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Arcland posted:

I really dont understand why people care so much, being "first" doesnt mean anything, especially in a 5 year dead game. allowing the early testers to have a couple hours advantage is minimal at best, giving out free poo poo is dumb, but that was not supposed to happen and when darth found out he wiped the server. Also apparently he found an exploit and is fixing it, which is why the servers aren't live right now. it was posted in their help discord, but he removed the bit about the exploit, which makes sense, im sure he doesn't want people looking for it.

Sucks the servers been down though, I really wanted to play today and have to work the next five.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Seriously why do you guys give a poo poo if people have poo poo already? You guys are gonna play for like 3 weeks and get bored and move on. At least I'm honest about being a fat Rodian Jedi named after a terrible action movie. poo poo isn't worth taking seriously.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Dead fan-made games are serious business.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

randombattle posted:

Seriously why do you guys give a poo poo if people have poo poo already? You guys are gonna play for like 3 weeks and get bored and move on. At least I'm honest about being a fat Rodian Jedi named after a terrible action movie. poo poo isn't worth taking seriously.

I don't think anyone here cares about anyone getting a head start, it's the horrible pubbies on their forums/discord that are crying over it.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well poo poo, I might hop on and play with goons for this poo poo. Prolly as a dot spamming Medic rear end in a top hat. or a sneaky fuckface spy.

Status_Surge
Sep 9, 2009

I need ya, Surge. This is a bad one, the worst yet. I need the old blade runner, I need your magic.
I started swg during the NGE but never max leveled (except for space), i might jump on and try crafting this time instead. im gonna miss my yt-2400 until i can get one again though

Jiimy
Mar 25, 2003

Arven posted:

I don't think anyone here cares about anyone getting a head start, it's the horrible pubbies on their forums/discord that are crying over it.

i want a head start

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

TerminalSaint posted:

This one is essentially feature complete, including the big one: JTL.

The only problem is, it's NGE, which was the worst loving thing ever to happen to this game.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

ModeSix posted:

The only problem is, it's NGE, which was the worst loving thing ever to happen to this game.

It was nothing but improvements after the NGE though.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Goast posted:

It was nothing but improvements after the NGE though.

Well I mean the game continued to bleed people and never got another meaningful expansion again. It was pretty much "the end". Can't get much worse than that.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
The NGE's mechanics themselves weren't bad, it was the change in premise.

quote:

"There was lots of reading, much too much, in the game. There was a lot of wandering around learning about different abilities. We really needed to give people the experience of being Han Solo or Luke Skywalker rather than being Uncle Owen, the moisture farmer. We wanted more instant gratification: kill, get treasure, repeat. We needed to give people more of an opportunity to be a part of what they have seen in the movies rather than something they had created themselves."

If they had done what The Repopulation did (toggle between CU combat and NGE's pseudo shooter gameplay) along with iterating on the sandbox to keep us going between content updates, I think it would have done rather well.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jan 6, 2017

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

The concept is fine but the execution was a flaming shitpile.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I don't even remember the difference between NGE changes and CU changes. The only thing I remember is they released an expansion for like $30 and then the next day released a patch that changed the game into a third person shooter.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Mulva posted:

Well I mean the game continued to bleed people and never got another meaningful expansion again. It was pretty much "the end". Can't get much worse than that.

Yeah, they did so bad the game could never recover even if it wasn't a complete flaming shitpile at the end.

Still garbage. But the fun kind of garbage you and your weird friends could roll around in.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

So when is it finally going back up? Although TBH I need to play this game again as much as I need shotgun dentistry.

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

Lord and Savior of KarmaFleet
Yay :sa:

I want to play with goons and live in afgoonistan.
I'm discording now. How do I play?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

nazca posted:

Yay :sa:

I want to play with goons and live in afgoonistan.
I'm discording now. How do I play?

Join discord, then spend unknown days with us waiting for the server to come online and stable. It's really fun.

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

Sweet. I'm already on step 2. Having a blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

So... This server is based on leaked source code? How did they come by it? Last time I decided to let SWGemu piss me off I had found a forum post somewhere stating that Sony claimed they didn't even have access to it any more.

Some one buy an old computer at a pawn shop?