Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Burt posted:

So when is it finally going back up? Although TBH I need to play this game again as much as I need shotgun dentistry.

Probably a week or two. They're fixing some bugs that got uncovered so they can't put an exact date on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I look forward to seeing the servers finally go up for real in 2018.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Eopia posted:

I look forward to seeing the servers finally go up for real in 2018.

I had a real fun 54 minutes before it went down.

I got a metal pipe and shot lightning at some episode 1 robots.

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

Lord and Savior of KarmaFleet

randombattle posted:

I had a real fun 54 minutes before it went down.

I got a metal pipe and shot lightning at some episode 1 robots.

That sounds so fun I can't wait.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

nazca posted:

So... This server is based on leaked source code? How did they come by it? Last time I decided to let SWGemu piss me off I had found a forum post somewhere stating that Sony claimed they didn't even have access to it any more.

Some one buy an old computer at a pawn shop?

That's an interesting story...

Well, lets see. Back in November 2012 I first joined the ProjectSWG team (which is still the only actual NGE Emulation effort out there). I ended up running their small QA team and soon hired someone by the name of Firefly to the team to work in QA. Some of us on the team already had fostered limited friendships with a few former SOE devs such as Jaskell and Tony "Teesquare" Tyson and a few others. Unbeknownst to myself and others on the "PSWG" team Firefly cultivated a relationship with a former SOE Dev who was known as "Dev Shade" his real name I have forgotten. Firefly eventually convinced Dev Shade to mail her an old hard drive that contained what he said were a bunch of developer tools, it turned out to be the full source code for the game. We did not know she was in possession of it for some time however. She was jaded and disillusioned with the PSWG team and kept it a secret.

Long story short, she honey potted a former SOE Dev to get the source. She wanted to hoard it for herself and a few others, eventually it got loose.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I thought a not insignificant portion of it came through packet sniffing? Or was that what people tried in vain to do during the last days of City of Heroes (but were ultimately unsuccessful, which is why there's no City of Heroes shard out there)?

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

Levarris posted:

That's an interesting story...

Well, lets see. Back in November 2012 I first joined the ProjectSWG team (which is still the only actual NGE Emulation effort out there). I ended up running their small QA team and soon hired someone by the name of Firefly to the team to work in QA. Some of us on the team already had fostered limited friendships with a few former SOE devs such as Jaskell and Tony "Teesquare" Tyson and a few others. Unbeknownst to myself and others on the "PSWG" team Firefly cultivated a relationship with a former SOE Dev who was known as "Dev Shade" his real name I have forgotten. Firefly eventually convinced Dev Shade to mail her an old hard drive that contained what he said were a bunch of developer tools, it turned out to be the full source code for the game. We did not know she was in possession of it for some time however. She was jaded and disillusioned with the PSWG team and kept it a secret.

Long story short, she honey potted a former SOE Dev to get the source. She wanted to hoard it for herself and a few others, eventually it got loose.

So basically it got found at a pawn shop lol. Cool.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Drone posted:

I thought a not insignificant portion of it came through packet sniffing? Or was that what people tried in vain to do during the last days of City of Heroes (but were ultimately unsuccessful, which is why there's no City of Heroes shard out there)?

SWGEmu, and ProjectSWG are results of packet sniffing.

Stella Bellum and SWG Legends are results of leaked official SOE source code given to an e-slut who honey potted a former SOE dev to give it to her.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Levarris posted:

SWGEmu, and ProjectSWG are results of packet sniffing.

Stella Bellum and SWG Legends are results of leaked official SOE source code given to an e-slut who honey potted a former SOE dev to give it to her.

:yikes:

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.
What's the deal with SWGLegends again? Seen some weird stuff about them offering favors for donations or some shady poo poo like that, but apparently goon hearsay is more credible to me than random internet hearsay.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Oneavi posted:

What's the deal with SWGLegends again? Seen some weird stuff about them offering favors for donations or some shady poo poo like that, but apparently goon hearsay is more credible to me than random internet hearsay.

Routine admin abuse, high levels of cronyism, and an illicit cash shop (credit sales and in game item sale micro-transactions; Something that would actually get Disney to give a drat about these projects and actually shut them down if they got wind of it.) run by the guy in charge of that team.

Oh and they don't have any actual developers.

nazca
Apr 9, 2016

Levarris posted:

Routine admin abuse, high levels of cronyism, and an illicit cash shop (credit sales and in game item sale micro-transactions; Something that would actually get Disney to give a drat about these projects and actually shut them down if they got wind of it.) run by the guy in charge of that team.

Oh and they don't have any actual developers.

Uck I hope Disney doesn't through a fuss. And if they do I hope it gets moved to Russian servers and ignored.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Let's say I had the expertise and resources to start my own server, does anyone know a good place to start? I found some old guides but I am not sure what the latest available publicly builds are to work with.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

nazca posted:

Uck I hope Disney doesn't through a fuss. And if they do I hope it gets moved to Russian servers and ignored.

If it does, I'm done with Galaxies until Suncrusher because NGE with a high latency sucks.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

tadashi posted:

Let's say I had the expertise and resources to start my own server, does anyone know a good place to start? I found some old guides but I am not sure what the latest available publicly builds are to work with.

You really don't want to deal with running a game server. It's not fun and like a 24/7 job that you are always on call for and don't get paid to do.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

You really don't want to deal with running a game server. It's not fun and like a 24/7 job that you are always on call for and don't get paid to do.

Also unless you yourself are a Dev capable of doing everything yourself if need be, there is a 99% chance you will never get off the ground. I only have experience as a UO emu server dev, but it's a thankless job and the only ones that have ever been successful are ones where the lead developer is in charge of the overall project and knows what he is doing.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

tadashi posted:

If you need to look up guides, then you are not the right person to run a server.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Cons
  • Levarris works on it

That is a con if i ever heard one.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Elysium is up.Check it out.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

But space and force lightning and also metal pipes.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Elysium is up.Check it out.

No sarcasm intended, but: for how long? Persistence is a key element to my enjoyment of SWG and it's one thing that Darklight/Elysium has had trouble with in the past.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Conskill posted:

No sarcasm intended, but: for how long? Persistence is a key element to my enjoyment of SWG and it's one thing that Darklight/Elysium has had trouble with in the past.

Well it has already been up longer than Stella Bellum so that's a plus.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Conskill posted:

If the server gets enough donations to pay for itself. It's not going anywhere.

BromanderData
Mar 20, 2013

Stroke it with me

The Chosen One

Levarris posted:

If the server gets enough donations to pay for itself. It's not going anywhere.

I have high hopes that the biggest issue will be picking which server to play on and not worrying if it will ever be completed.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Holy loving poo poo the Doctor grind is killing me. I don't remember it being this much of an arse ache when I did it as a kid.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Wait is SWGEmu finally at a full release?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Star Wars Galaxies: There's actually a live server?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Is it gently caress. Pub 9 and the Jedi village are just around the corner though - JTL and a live server are probably 2 years away at best.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
My joke post about the server going live next year was apparently both not a joke and too optimistic.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Both servers are dead. Something may come out of them as a result of them going open source but honestly, best chance you've got is waiting for Suncrusher

Problem is, that's likely 3+ years away and there'll be fully released alternatives by then. I think they blew their only shot by taking way too long.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Both servers are dead. Something may come out of them as a result of them going open source but honestly, best chance you've got is waiting for Suncrusher

Problem is, that's likely 3+ years away and there'll be fully released alternatives by then. I think they blew their only shot by taking way too long.

Hardcore sandbox fans' pretty much only viable substitute is The Repopulation and that's got its own fleas to say the least.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I've been waiting for a complete and stable Pre-CU EMU server since loving 2006. What's another couple years?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Do any servers have JTL content?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Do any servers have JTL content?

Any Stella Bellum-based server has JTL but I don't know what's going on with that since the team disbanded and released the source.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Stella Bellum was really depressing to watch fall apart.

Everything in their emulator seemed to work perfectly except the whole launch fiasco.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Did the entire server melt down entirely because they let their friends play before launch?

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
To me it seemed like it melted down because the server became unstable when there were more than a couple hundred people on a planet at the same time. For the few hours it was up you'd de-sync constantly unless you got off Tatooine. Other than that it was fine.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Arven posted:

To me it seemed like it melted down because the server became unstable when there were more than a couple hundred people on a planet at the same time. For the few hours it was up you'd de-sync constantly unless you got off Tatooine. Other than that it was fine.

Yeah. And the fact that all these emu projects are run by 30 something man children who all come from other emu projects that melted down because *~*~drama~*~*

It's kind of sad because anybody who played SWG when it was live must be 30 or so now and yet every day the SWGEmu Reddit page has a new video of Rebels and Imperials bitching at each other.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Got bored and am playing this game on Bloodfin. If anyone's got some good gear that's going to waste, let me know. Would be happy to take it off your hands. Will do naughty things for legendaries/exceptionals

Tide fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Any Stella Bellum-based server has JTL but I don't know what's going on with that since the team disbanded and released the source.
seems like the discord got nixed since it kind of died soonish after stella bellum launch. Any new congregation spot or are Stella Bellum based servers not really up yet.