Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

the pop on Finalizer has been consistently around 1100 for the past few days ive been playing. Its nuts to see so many ppl running quests or chilling in the cantina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Are there any sexy ithorian master musicians yet? Might need to reinstall this poo poo for the 5th time.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Me and a goon friend played a bunch yesterday and had fun so if there's going to be a guild I'm sure we'd join up. He's a budding creature handler and I'm an aspiring ranger. There's plenty of friendly doctors around so it was easy to get buffed and do missions, we're almost already to carbineer and rifleman respectively. We played on the official servers together but I was surprised when I mentioned this he jumped right in before I did even. Next step is probably getting some armor for ourselves. I'm Uukrak.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ugh I'm getting the urge again

Ahdinko and FireWhizzle, where my crew at

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
How's the economy? I enjoy shattering sectors of the market and harvesting tears.

Galaxy harvester works for Finalizer. Fairly up to date too. Quite a few resources currently active that are classed as best ever resource.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Me and a goon friend played a bunch yesterday and had fun so if there's going to be a guild I'm sure we'd join up. He's a budding creature handler and I'm an aspiring ranger. There's plenty of friendly doctors around so it was easy to get buffed and do missions, we're almost already to carbineer and rifleman respectively. We played on the official servers together but I was surprised when I mentioned this he jumped right in before I did even. Next step is probably getting some armor for ourselves. I'm Uukrak.

If your friend needs a CL10 pet to level with so they get max CH XP, let me know.

Tai posted:

How's the economy? I enjoy shattering sectors of the market and harvesting tears.

Economy seems great. With the change to allow 2 characters with only 1 logged in, I'm betting it's going to be a lot more stable than Basi was since you can't level every single crafting profession for yourself.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Good thing I've got 2 accounts so can have 4 slots.

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Tai posted:

Good thing I've got 2 accounts so can have 4 slots.

I'd be careful if you haven't played in awhile, and probably avoid multiboxing. One of the lead devs now is an Amazon exec with over 20 years of DevOps experience who added all kinds of tracking to the game over the last year or so. There have been tons of multiaccount bans handed out over the past few weeks.They're definitely tracking hardware IDs, and most public VPN services are blocked, so you'll need to roll your own. It's no longer the rag tag dev team of college kids that it was 10 years ago or whatever.

Mux fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 8, 2022

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Should be fine. It has in the past. I emailed them years back with a piece of paper showing my account name/emails along with 2 sets of Discs/Keys and they gave me the OK to play and tag my account . I'll probably just stick to one account anyway for the time being and if I get serious, I'll email them again.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

Ugh I'm getting the urge again

Ahdinko and FireWhizzle, where my crew at

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Miztah posted:

I've got something in store to prevent acklay afk campers that'll be coming pretty soon.
https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=243162&p=1686757&viewfull=1#post1686757

This should be interesting to see how it's implemented.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

Mux posted:

If your friend needs a CL10 pet to level with so they get max CH XP, let me know.

Not really sure what this even means! Last I played was pre-cu and I think they played a little of that then logged in after the nge and their pets were gone so they were done then too. We're sporting laser weapons and ubese armor now so we're moving up in the world. I don't think T21s or composite armor has even been made yet.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Ugh alright I'm back in it. Rolling my old fallback rifleman/ranger, gonna gently caress around around Mos Eisley or something.

Where's the de facto capital hub on Finalizer, Coronet City or Mos Eisley?

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Drone posted:

Ugh alright I'm back in it. Rolling my old fallback rifleman/ranger, gonna gently caress around around Mos Eisley or something.

If the answer to this is Coronet I'm in!

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Mos Eisley is where you want to be for buffs right now, there's always several doctors and an entertainer group there. If you just walk into the cantina your minor wounds will be healed pretty much instantly. Lots of friendly people who don't care if you're poor.

GokuGoesSSj69 fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 9, 2022

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Made a character. Shameless post to feel free to tip Taii (double ii) to buy some Ubese armour once I properly play this evening :)

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

GokuGoesSSJ3 posted:

Not really sure what this even means! Last I played was pre-cu and I think they played a little of that then logged in after the nge and their pets were gone so they were done then too. We're sporting laser weapons and ubese armor now so we're moving up in the world. I don't think T21s or composite armor has even been made yet.

You mentioned your friend was going CH. A novice CH needs a CL10'ish pet to get max CH XP per kill (500 vs 50). It can take awhile for a novice CH to get a CL10 pet since it takes 12 hours per cycle before pets level with the pre-CU CH system.

Drone posted:

Theed cantina and Mos Eisley are the two places docs and ents usually hang out at. There are the occasional few who go to Dant/Dath now that there are a decent amount of players grinding there. Most of the ents outside Theed and Eisley don't have capped ent tapes, yet.

Also, for any former BHs thinking about playing...There are a LOT of people grinding out FS boxes at the moment. If anyone wants to be a BH, it's going to be a target rich environment of novice Jedi in about 2-3 weeks when the 6th phase finishes. Novice Jedi who don't pay attention to their vis will be dropping like flies until they get decent saber block. I suspect a lot will quit once they get hit with a few XP losses from deaths pre-LS xx3x. Have fun out there.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Made a very muscular Ithorian named Basketball Jones on the new server. Will I get any further than that? :iiam:

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Any tips for starting out? I haven't played in, well, a decade and a half and am getting owned by rats outside Mos Eisley. Is it bad that everything I examine says it's going to own the poo poo out of me?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Prefect Six posted:

Any tips for starting out? I haven't played in, well, a decade and a half and am getting owned by rats outside Mos Eisley. Is it bad that everything I examine says it's going to own the poo poo out of me?

what class are you playing? brawler -> unarmed -> Teras Kasi Artist is the best way to go right now until you get money for buffs/armor

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Proud Christian Mom posted:

what class are you playing? brawler -> unarmed -> Teras Kasi Artist is the best way to go right now until you get money for buffs/armor

I played marksman/carbine back in the day so that's what I picked this time. I got some buffs from a kindly doc for free so that's helped significantly.

The Source
Jul 11, 2021
Im running around with bantha trade federation BTF crafter guild good group of people if we got other crafter/pve types here

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So I played on basilisk all the way to skill cap back in 2017 or so, I assume my extant SWGemu account will be sufficient to log into this new server once I get the game installed?

Ed: that was easy! Haven’t played in ages but I recall starting as scout and rifleman and harvesting stuff was a good way to get going, gonna remake my last character the Mon Calamari Nasreddin Hodja, very exciting to see so many people online even off peak hours

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 12, 2022

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Any good build advice for pairing with rifleman? Logged into my basilisk character and he was MR, Master Scout, and like 60% of Master Combat Medic with no skill points left. I can’t quite recall what I was doing with that but I think it was all about mind damage, using scout to harvest components, and then making medical kits for CM with the harvested mats but it looks kinda clunky as a build in retrospect

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Depends really on the style of PvE you want to do.

Rifle/CM does the best damage for solo
Rifle/Creature Handler is a great all rounder
Rifle/Ranger for animal harvesting

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tai posted:

Depends really on the style of PvE you want to do.

Rifle/CM does the best damage for solo
Rifle/Creature Handler is a great all rounder
Rifle/Ranger for animal harvesting

Hmm word I think I'll go for Rifle/CM this time since I remember it having a lot of utility. I can't remember how respeccing works but iirc I can basically just engage with scout for components and harvesting while I level the left tier of CM which requires crafting and then drop it later and invest those points in the rest of CM, right?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
You could but I'd consider leveling another character with ranger + something first. Having your own animal farmer is going to be very helpful on this server. It's possible anything good will be very pricey since it's a 2 slot server. Master TKM or Sword are pretty good at it since they can spin attack everything down.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Discord link for the goon SWG server for anyone who wants to hop in.

https://discord.gg/6xdwtzhq

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Frog Act posted:

Hmm word I think I'll go for Rifle/CM this time since I remember it having a lot of utility. I can't remember how respeccing works but iirc I can basically just engage with scout for components and harvesting while I level the left tier of CM which requires crafting and then drop it later and invest those points in the rest of CM, right?

Thats the exact build im working on right now, ha

The respeccing is extremely generous, you get back the full skill point cost of any skills you have learned, but you dont get back the xp. This allows you to freely level any way you want and drop skills you may have randomly picked if you need to have a few more skill points for something else

Are vehicle restoration kits a thing? I was an idiot with my customized swoop and now its dead. I already have another swoop, but Id like to get back my old one if possible

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Assuming my main is Rifle/Ranger, what's a good secondary character with skill synergies?

I mean of course I will be eternally happy with my old Doctor/Tailor build just because I love the live-social aspect of it (and also holy poo poo does this new server scratch that itch... imagine, live non-bot buffing! in TYOOL 2021! I love it), but I kind of want to try something different.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Check out https://www.swgemu.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=254 and see what sells well maybe if you're looking for a crafter alt.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

Thats the exact build im working on right now, ha

The respeccing is extremely generous, you get back the full skill point cost of any skills you have learned, but you dont get back the xp. This allows you to freely level any way you want and drop skills you may have randomly picked if you need to have a few more skill points for something else

Are vehicle restoration kits a thing? I was an idiot with my customized swoop and now its dead. I already have another swoop, but Id like to get back my old one if possible

Repair it at a garage?

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Burt posted:

Repair it at a garage?

that doesnt work if its broken all the way

Mux
Aug 4, 2010

Frog Act posted:

Any good build advice for pairing with rifleman?

Just throwing it out there, but Rifleman is going to be subpar until there are near cap crafted T21s. Last I heard, some resources haven't spawned to make the advanced components yet for rifles (or comp armor for that matter). I think most people are going TKM until near capped rifles are being crafted. Either way, you'll want a good speed sliced laser rifle ASAP for the grind if you're deadset on going rifles right now. After that, it depends on what you want to do. If you want to PvP, CM or doc or defense stacking is a good choice. If you want to primarily PvE, you can stack defenses as a secondary, or go Ranger. MCH is also an option since it will allow you to pull 18k missions with capped pets.

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

that doesnt work if its broken all the way

Unfortunately you can't repair disabled vehicles. That wasn't a thing until BARC speeders were introduced or sometime near CU launch iirc.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the best part of live was rolling up to a starport after 30 minutes of world pvp and nuking all the speeders parking outside with a few strafeshot2s

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The last resource needed for comp armor has seeded if anyone is looking to afk sample or use harvesters.

https://galaxyharvester.net/resource.py/118/moopi

Head over the Theed and run out of the space port to near the shuttle and a 85% spawn is there to sample.

Keep an eye on

https://galaxyharvester.net/resourceType.py/ore_carbonate_alantium

https://galaxyharvester.net/resourceType.py/crystalline_gallinorian

They've yet to seed and are highly waited on.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
I haven't played this game in probably 18 years and I'm having a blast. The server is very active and has a great community. If you're on the fence I'm already space rich from selling meat so hop on the discord and I'll give you enough credits for a starter suit of armor and weapon.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I think I might start playing again. Are goons running around in any official capacity?

Also lol, the server is so new, nothing is available on the markets in any real capacity. If you like crafting, now's a great time to get on stuff like food buffs, clothing, starter weapons and armor. People are rushing for high tier stuff, but resource spawns haven't really been cooperating.

Also, don't roll Itho or Wook unless you like fighting naked. There is very little in the way of affordable armor for them right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi
Well, I just read through about three years worth of posts in this thread that I haven't looked at in about that much time. Saw a few mentions about me and some of my work in the past and thought I'd shed some perspective about a few things that were mentioned.

The Stardust server, it failed not due to any drama regarding head starts or anything. I'm pretty sure that was that Stella Bellum NGE project if memory serves. Anyways I ran Stardust for a year, pretty much solo as a Dev / Admin. It was a pretty drat demanding job that I didn't get paid for but did because I for whatever reason enjoyed the creative outlet that developing content for SWG afforded me. It wasn't that I wanted to work alone, it was that most people that got involved in development for SWG private servers weren't usually interested in conforming to someone else's ideas, or were not knowledgeable enough to run a server themselves quite yet and use more knowledgeable ones to siphon enough know-how to pop up their own poo poo-tier server.

Suffice it to say, I burned out and grew heavily disillusioned dealing with the demands of an ever growing community that inside of itself grew a large and highly vocal group of extremely entitled whiny pubbies. It became impossible for me to continue expanding on and developing more content basically. I never had time to because I was always chasing after something some community member whined loudly enough about all in the effort of keeping the player base happy. Maybe I should have just told them to deal with it and worked on whatever I wanted, maybe I'd have stayed happy and kept it going? Maybe. Anyways I shut the server off for the last time I think in July of 2019. Left all my work open-sourced so anyone with a brain could pick it up if they wanted. So yes, you could say that any successor project such as SWG-Afterlife (which I understand is gone now too) did indeed have my blessing to exist, that's literally what my open sourcing my work was all about.

What I didn't particularly care about that project (Afterlife) is that it was being run by the very same aforementioned highly vocal group of extremely entitled and whiny pubbies. That and the "fixes" they said they implemented were quite literally things I expressly said I would never do because they completely threw things out of the balance I tried to create with Stardust.

As far as how "toxic" I was on live. Well, eleven plus years ago I'm sure most of us were different people.

Lastly, there are far worse people that could moderate the /r/swg subreddit than me. I keep that place a bastion of free speech and unbiased discussion about a game historically rife with drama queens.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 9, 2022