Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

Elmon posted:

seems like the discord got nixed since it kind of died soonish after stella bellum launch. Any new congregation spot or are Stella Bellum based servers not really up yet.

Stella Bellum servers are kind of like unicorns, aliens, or bigfoot. Lots of people claim to have seen them, but there's never any verifiable evidence of their presence found, and you can never find one when you go looking for them,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
We're like a decade in to this loving emulator. There's a vanilla WoW that's been around for ages, I'm thinking I should just suck a dick and jump aboard the EA shaft train.

Happy May Fourth you lovely misanthropes.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

akma posted:

Stella Bellum servers are kind of like unicorns, aliens, or bigfoot. Lots of people claim to have seen them, but there's never any verifiable evidence of their presence found, and you can never find one when you go looking for them,

I played on it for all of 2 hours before they imploded! They're real I tell you!

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
It sounds strange, but most of the time I played the game it was NGE and it was the most fun I'd ever had playing an MMO.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The CU was the golden era imo. It fixed a lot of poo poo whilst keeping the game pretty diverse. The NGE wasn't as bad as everybody made it out to be, but it did gimp the game quite a bit.

As with any MMO it's as much about the community experience I guess. I was lucky to find me a kickin rad guild early on.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
City invasions were fun once they got around to adding them... But that's really the only thing about the NGE that I cared for.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi
I haven't really been following anything related to SWG in a few months, seems the SB project has ground to a halt though they claim to still be working on it. They have no intentions on hosting a live server but dangle the carrot of one every now and again to entice people to drop some bitcoin on them.

Hate to say it, but I highly doubt there will ever be a server worth playing on again for this game.

I certainly am done with trying to develop for it.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
SWG is dead. Let it rest in peace.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

This. I'll give Suncrusher a chance (if it launches and I still care about SWG when there's all sorts of alternatives) or a SB server that isn't managed by children but basically they took too long and killed the unique opportunity they had of being the only sandbox MMO on the horizon. Now there's alternatives and I'd rather play Project Gorgon or something tbh.

Stella Bellum was the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Freakazoid_ posted:

I try, but keep getting sucked back into it. Even still playing the train wreck that is bloodfin. Stockholm syndrome, battered wife syndrome, whatever you want to call it. I'd love to switch servers, but I'm fairly well geared up (except aforementioned requested legendary or exceptional gear :haw: ) and gently caress starting over again....

But I've accepted the flaws of bloodfin, sith holocron whaever version is being used (that for the life of me, I cannot find) and the game itself. It is what it is.

akma
Jan 30, 2016

I simply lack the motivation to write anything here.

Tide posted:

I try, but keep getting sucked back into it. Even still playing the train wreck that is bloodfin. Stockholm syndrome, battered wife syndrome, whatever you want to call it. I'd love to switch servers, but I'm fairly well geared up (except aforementioned requested legendary or exceptional gear :haw: ) and gently caress starting over again....

But I've accepted the flaws of bloodfin, sith holocron whaever version is being used (that for the life of me, I cannot find) and the game itself. It is what it is.

I tried bloodfin. Got on their voice comms, heard Tammy's shrill voice and promptly logged out and deleted the game.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
can't fault you for that. but thats also why i avoid their vent.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
but anyway, if anyone doesn't want their account anymore...PM me.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

you're kidding me

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

30.5 Days posted:

you're kidding me

:shrug:

2003 game...2003 voice comms

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
So I've been dicking around on SWG Legends. It's an NGE server that's been released for a while now.
It seems almost feature complete, I haven't run into any major noticeable bugs and the population stays around 500-1000 depends on the time.

But whenever I get fully buffed to go out and do poo poo they restart the server.

like 5 times a day at this point

I know it's just a small inconvenience, but it makes it hard to get a group going. When that "server restart in an hour" system message pops up no one is willing to do anything until after the restart.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Goast posted:

So I've been dicking around on SWG Legends. It's an NGE server that's been released for a while now.
It seems almost feature complete, I haven't run into any major noticeable bugs and the population stays around 500-1000 depends on the time.

But whenever I get fully buffed to go out and do poo poo they restart the server.

like 5 times a day at this point

I know it's just a small inconvenience, but it makes it hard to get a group going. When that "server restart in an hour" system message pops up no one is willing to do anything until after the restart.

Legends is poo poo, and run by a bunch of children who have no idea what they are doing. It's also the only "running" NGE server too.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

With the implosion of Stella bellum I've given up entirely on ever playing Star Wars galaxies. It's just not gonna happen.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

randombattle posted:

With the implosion of Stella bellum I've given up entirely on ever playing Star Wars galaxies. It's just not gonna happen.

At least we still have Suncrusher to look forward to :^)

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

randombattle posted:

Well sure if you invest your hopes in a bunch of squabbling children doing legally questionable things.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
Didn't the source get leaked by some dev that got catfished?

Goast fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 14, 2017

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Goast posted:

Didn't the source get leaked my some dev that got catfished?

Yeah, that's how the Stella Bellum (NGE) project got started. Without the source code leak, I doubt anyone would have ever bothered to get it post-NGE again. Only reason a lot of us were playing it is because a live NGE server is more appealing than playing Bloodfin or Basilisk Test Server.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 14, 2017

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
I'm waiting for Suncrusher and the inevitable FixedCrusher version.

Second one with removed dead tapes, fixed carbine specials, and added experimentation on spices, motivators, and a handful of other fixes. But even without that, I look forward to just hanging out with regular old SWG with JTLS.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie
I've been looking to play some JTLS for a bit, but then i read this thread. Someone call me when they get their poo poo sorted.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

remember to use junk passwords on lovely emu servers you don't care about

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

Theophany posted:

Well sure if you invest your hopes in a bunch of squabbling children doing legally questionable things.

Oh so every group making a private server from now until the end of time?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

randombattle posted:

Oh so every group making a private server from now until the end of time?

SOE or what is now Disney I guess(?) had no problem with non-profit emu servers iirc. But when it comes to servers with straight up stolen source code I'm sure they'd take a dim view of it.

The core emu project seems to be run well enough these days but I guess that lot have no interest in running a live server once they're done.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
love it when people say OH BUT IT WAS JUST HASHED NOT PLAINTEXT

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Theophany posted:

SOE or what is now Disney I guess(?) had no problem with non-profit emu servers iirc. But when it comes to servers with straight up stolen source code I'm sure they'd take a dim view of it.

The core emu project seems to be run well enough these days but I guess that lot have no interest in running a live server once they're done.

Would you? In general what's left of the SWG community are the lowest common denominators of human detritus. It's like trying to run a school for children with autism, except all of the parents, teachers and support staff also have autism.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Levarris posted:

Would you? In general what's left of the SWG community are the lowest common denominators of human detritus. It's like trying to run a school for children with autism, except all of the parents, teachers and support staff also have autism.

Begs the question why they are even bothering to continue at this point, really. I still enjoy playing, but I've no delusions that it'll never be as good as it was back in the live days simply because I'm not convinced there is a big enough server population to keep the game viable from both gameplay and financial perspectives.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You should play SWTOR, it's good.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

ISIS CURES TROONS posted:

You should play SWTOR, it's good.

Isn't it just another WoW clone with a Star Wars skin? That's how it was when I left it when it went f2p at least.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
SWTOR isn't necessarily an objectively bad game, but it's an odd suggestion as a Galaxies replacement. The only similarities it shares with Galaxies are that both are MMOs, and their titles have the first two words in common.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Honestly there isn't a good replacement for Galaxies yet, which is a loving shame considering how long it has been.

Crowfall has some similar mechanics, which makes sense considering who it is being made by... But it's fundamentally a very different game. Go play EVE I guess

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The Repopulation is frequently mentioned as a spiritual successor to SWG but gently caress paying for software in alpha.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Theophany posted:

The Repopulation is frequently mentioned as a spiritual successor to SWG but gently caress paying for software in alpha.

Without the Star Wars IP you just have a really bad game though. It's not like SWG ever really was a great game in it's own right. It actually always sucked, it was just that it delivered the chance to "live" in the Star Wars Universe that appealed to people.

If the same game was released for the Flash Gordon universe for example, it would probably have lasted a week, and went down in history as having the only game soundtrack composed by Queen.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Theophany posted:

Repopulation got acquired by the company its fans credit to its failure (the creators of Hero Engine). I'm expecting absolutely nothing, but I'd love to see it become something some day. Hopefully the original studio can put something interesting out now that they're not being bogged down with technology that was their only viable option back in 2009-2010 when they started the project.

Like Levarris said, without the Star Wars IP, it would've just been a deeply flawed sandbox.... But I can't help but wonder did the Star Wars IP hurt the game more than it helped? I know that sounds crazy but without all the oversight, maybe people would've been okay with "playing the moisture farmer" instead of Luke Skywalker or Han Solo. Maybe they wouldn't have spread the community too thin with as many planets as they did. Maybe they could've focused on improving the sandbox instead of turning it into something it clearly was never meant to be by competing with World of Warcraft. Most importantly, maybe it'd still be running and fill the niche that goes between Ultima Online and EVE.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 26, 2017

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Levarris posted:

Without the Star Wars IP you just have a really bad game though. It's not like SWG ever really was a great game in it's own right. It actually always sucked, it was just that it delivered the chance to "live" in the Star Wars Universe that appealed to people.

If the same game was released for the Flash Gordon universe for example, it would probably have lasted a week, and went down in history as having the only game soundtrack composed by Queen.

I'm not sure whether your post is in reference to SWG or the Repop? Either way, if the Repop ends up being a good game people will play it, but in an age where WoW clones are menu du jour it'll never be hugely popular - much the same as SWG wasn't.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Repopulation got acquired by the company its fans credit to its failure (the creators of Hero Engine). I'm expecting absolutely nothing, but I'd love to see it become something some day. Hopefully the original studio can put something interesting out now that they're not being bogged down with technology that was their only viable option back in 2009-2010 when they started the project.

Like Levarris said, without the Star Wars IP, it would've just been a deeply flawed sandbox.... But I can't help but wonder did the Star Wars IP hurt the game more than it helped? I know that sounds crazy but without all the oversight, maybe people would've been okay with "playing the moisture farmer" instead of Luke Skywalker or Han Solo. Maybe they wouldn't have spread the community too thin with as many planets as they did. Maybe they could've focused on improving the sandbox instead of turning it into something it clearly was never meant to be by competing with World of Warcraft. Most importantly, maybe it'd still be running and fill the niche that goes between Ultima Online and EVE.

Well yeah it hurt in the sense that LucasArts forced Sony to launch way too early and the game was nowhere near finished. Even silly stuff like 2D collision maps or broken skill trees. But it also helped because as Levarris rightly says it made people look past those flaws and tolerate them to a degree.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
It's kinda old so I'm sure some of you have read it, but Ralph Koster wrote a thing about early SWG development.

The whole thing really explains why SWG was the way it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Goast posted:

It's kinda old so I'm sure some of you have read it, but Ralph Koster wrote a thing about early SWG development.

The whole thing really explains why SWG was the way it was.

Yeah it's a really good insight to how drat good the game could've been if the developers had been left to do their thing, but also how the game would probably still be in development if the developers had been left to do their thing lol