Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Is this what passes for a Basilisk thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Goast posted:

It's kinda old so I'm sure some of you have read it, but Ralph Koster wrote a thing about early SWG development.

The whole thing really explains why SWG was the way it was.

Holy poo poo, I never saw this, it's amazing. And holy poo poo, the early SWG ads look/feel like the fictional WestWorld ads.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I always used to think a lack of enforceable limits on numbers of characters ($15 a month) would ruin the game and economy. Maybe it has but the economy in Bloodfin seems to be functioning. Premium resources not being 100 CPU has some upside for keeping stuff affordable.

Whatever the downsides on the economy though I think Dual instancing and multiple slots per server are vital because they offset the lower populations on the emu servers. I.E. you can always find a buff when you need one.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Why does Basilisk seem to be the red headed stepchild around here?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Pladdicus posted:

So is this dead again? Any functional server? OP was a bit misleading.

Basilisk is very stable and is approaching release of Jedi/Publish 9. It's amazing if you need a SWG fix.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Archonex posted:

How far along in development is Basilisk?

SWG was literally my first MMO and it still ranks out as one of the most interesting takes on the MMO genre. It came out in that sweet spot when the genre was actually trying to push boundaries and make worlds instead of theme parks. Being able to lead an imperial squadron of AT-ST's and storm troopers and take that one Tatooine town that was always full of decced rebels again would be neat as gently caress.

Jedi/The Village and stuff is the next publish. Last I heard it was expected to go live late summer or early fall. Other than Jedi and JTL it seems totally complete and working to me.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I've seen people running SL groups more lately.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

gently caress, so not ready.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Conskill posted:

My experience with SWG was purely NGE where I just hit "Jedi" as a class.

In terms of being a shameless laser-sword aficionado, is it actually fun and interesting to be a Jedi in the build they're using? I've heard horror stories of the holocron grind.

The Village replaced the holocron grind. I was a village "elder" Jedi and it was one of the most cool gaming experiences I ever had. Tedious at times to be sure but it was a good encapsulation of everything I loved about this drat game. Immensely satisfying for this nerd.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Several days of down time expected , they may have to do a wipe due to hardware failure. I'd be fine with that, downtime sucks though.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I love that it seems to be 90% of people neutral or happy about the wipe and 10% butt hurt about stuff on a test server not being permanent. This community actually is pretty cool sometimes.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Tai posted:

It's going to be how quick can a WS churn out grenades honestly. Village would be pretty busy 1 week in.

I really wanted I stockpile, I only have 2000 C12s done. I didn't think it would hit until september.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Am I missing something? Updates I saw suggested no wipe.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

A wipe would reinvigorate the economy for sure but it would delay testing the Village stuff by quite a bit. There's an argument to be made for a reinvigorated player base too, though. I guess I was totally cool with either outcome.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Is shipwright crafting active in the swgemu code?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

If it has noitem isn't it doing what it is supposed to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Is there a no-BS guide to all of the different servers these days? I'm looking for Pre-CU, minimum nepotism/drama, and very open to the idea of accelerated XP, but wouldn't sacrifice the other two for it.

E: Started on Finalizer. What's the best way to get some credits on your first character? Erotic roleplay in the cantinas?

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 28, 2023