Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
So Basilisk is still kicking. What about this SWG Awakening server? Is it worth a look?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Cool. Could you elaborate?

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Alright. Made a toon on bas. Ithorian, cuz they're ugly and goofy looking. It'll be an adventurer character (little scout, little marks, entertainer, artisan, medic, a few boxes of rifles or carbines). Not good at anything, but gives me a taste of everything until I figure it all out.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Is there a goon SWG discord? The Steam Mantina seems a little dead.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
SWTOR was a fun single player sequal to KOTOR II.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
CH AND Droids seem to be working, yeah. Pub9 (Jedi) should be out Soon(tm). The regular testers seem cautiously optimistic, anyway. I'm most looking forward to JtL, though I know that's a ways away. They killed SL-led solo groups for some reason. As in, no one runs them anymore. I get they cut the cash for the missions by about 80%, but that can be mitigated if everyone is doing missions on the same circuit (Fanfar and Dant Academy, for example). You'll get paid from other people's nearby missions, but get full exp on your lairs because you're the only one doing damage.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I'm in the game as Huszar if anyone still plays. Add me to your friend list. Dunno if the GCW is still active, but we can try some base bustin' or do some other group content.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
and Pub 9 comes out tomorrow! Just announced! Let the hype begin.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I wouldn't be upset by a wipe. And with Pub9, maybe there'll finally be enough people online so that it's not just a server of AFK macro bots...

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Server's back, but rolled back to Pub8. Citing "stress tests" of the reboot. They say they'll try a merge with Pub9 on Monday.

In any case, the wipe doesn't seem eminent.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Any of you crafter-types have any online resources for finding things like server best materials, grinding guides, etc? Been thinking of getting a chef/tailor and BE character combo out for some variety.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, the rubberbanding is real right now. I do see it break 1k more than before, but the server doesn't seem to stay up longer than 3-4 hours at a time.

Thanks for the link.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Probably less percentage-wise than pre Pub9. I seem to see a lot more people running around doing things than before. A lot more random encounters in the wild as compared with pre-patch, and those I found were mostly ATK.

So, at least it seems more lively. Though I'm sure we've got more bots, in the mix.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
once I can find my disks, I'm going to give Stardust a try. It seems to have a lot of the features I'd opt for if I ruled the internet and could make the game my way. I honestly thought the CU did really well with combat in the game. I know it hosed crafting/non combat and blended professions into oblivion, but I believed it was on the right track for combat.

Questions for Levarris: your video hints at it, but is there the ever-elusive "third faction" here, or just more criminal themeparks? And besides adjusting HAM/SAC away from mind pools, have there been any major changes to crafting and resource collection? I'd like to do some light crafting of a sort, but SWG always scared me off from it due to the massive time input to do even the basics. Not looking for server-best anything, just bits and bobs (food, medical poo poo, etc).

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Cool, thanks all. Wasn't going to deter me either way, just curious. Found the disks.

I'll probably make a crafting character first, with combat on a side toon. I'll toodle around with it until I find a niche I like. Probably not weapon/armorsmith, since both of those require I sacrifice a goat and three children to the timelords to ever have a chance of even making something useful. But clothes, buildings, food or vehicles all might be interesting areas to explore.

EDIT: So I think I hosed something up. I can get the SWGEmu version to work, but for some reason, once I have all the files for Stardust downloaded and installed, the launch stalls out when I hit "play".

I'm pretty sure my mistake is with these instructions:

Follow the prompts: of the Installation Wizard, be sure to point it to a valid Star Wars Galaxies Client Folder.
Download the ModTheGalaxy TRE Files: from either of the following sources:
Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14fDk10PYkqCK1ZVXpnAVh1UC3ONAWfUx
Mega Upload: https://mega.nz/#F!fw0EzZ4I!RfRwyqE859Ad3kGlQv7T4Q
Extract the ModTheGalaxy TRE Files: to the folder you specified for the Stardust Installation.

I've been pointing the Stardust launcher at the /StarWarsGalaxies folder, and same for the MTG TRE files. Is this right?

SoUncool fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 5, 2018

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I feel like I'm in a terrible minority when I say, as a combat-focused player, I genuinely enjoyed the CU more than pre-CU. I felt like playing the game was more dynamic and less grind-y overall. A perfect world, to me, would be a blend of the CU's combat and an EVE-like economy, all set in a star wars universe. I don't like most modern MMOs where you, the lowly player, are the BIG HERO SAVING THE WORLD, then the next guy in line for the quest becomes the BIG HERO, too. Lemme save this rear end in a top hat kid's life and move on with my existence (shooting bad guys, or "bad guys"), leave defeating the emperor for some scrubby moisture farmer with wizard powers.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
apparently they're "on the road to post 1.0" and as of February they're transitioning to beta? Maybe with the world-wide quarantine, people will have more time to work on it. So we might see it finished in 2030 instead of 2040.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I'm just gonna live on the stoop of the cantina. like a hobo.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, too many accounts, too much opportunity to harvest resources. Gotta cripple the supply to up the demand. Wouldn't mind cutting down the overall powercreep of armor qualities, too. But I suppose that's just about impossible to implement.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I think it'd be fine with, like, 3-4 toons per account, and 2 online at once (for multi-family households). Bot buffs are still gonna be huge (they were a staple even on live. Anyone remember the buffbot lines outside Cnet starport?), but the lack of one account being self-sustaining will hopefully encourage more socialization.

I think lower yields on resource collectors, and higher refresh rates, combined with reduced condition levels across the board, will help with turnover. The people who just farm resources for *mad ca$$$$$h* will complain cuz they have to devote more of their time to rotating resources. But the people who actually want to craft poo poo will probably just take it in stride (I hope...). Heck, could even have a "mining/farming" profession, like how rangers gather animal resources. They'd have access to higher yield equipment that maybe has a more involved process, but could get you more resources, or refine higher quality resources. Could put surveying in Artisan as the prereq. If you want to be a mogul, you gotta invest the time.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, I heard that about JTL. But there's one guy there who's been doing his own development based on Wing Commander 3's code. He sounds like he's making promising progress.

Anyway, 1.0 sounds like it might be an attainable thing. AI has made some promising progress in the last year or two, and is apparently what Pub 11 is all about. Here's hoping.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

The Dirtiest Harry posted:

I genuinely thought that was a star citizen joke for a moment.

Ha! Would have made for a funny one. But no, there's a legitimate dude using WC3's apparently open source code to build JTL. I'm on mobile, so I'm sorry for the lack of link, but here's the thread:
https://www.swgemu.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228353

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Is there anything to Restoration III? I came across it after it was hyped up by some YouTubers. Its touted to be the game at CU, with cosmetics from NGE added in, but when looking at accounts, the people online are in the single digits? Am I missing something? I'd love to try out the CU again, but a server that's DOA doesn't seem like the best testbed for my rose-tinted glasses.

Also, the website seems to load super slow. Not a great sign...

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Eyy, who's got any intel on the Restoration 3 project? Website seems a mess, which isn't boding well to me, but it's purportedly got JtL, Kashyyyk, CU combat mechanics and pre-CU everything else, with some updates to economy with a mind towards making it more player- dependent.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I've been having fun on Restoration III so far. CU combat with all the NGE content. There are bugs, and there are balance issues, but the developers seem active and the playerbase seems to be mostly ATK. Which I can't say the same for SWGEmu...

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Sounds like you're on Resto3. Hop on their disco if you've got more technical questions. Make sure you've got the most up-to-date launcher off their website.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

Burt posted:

Get on Ret3, plenty of active guilds.

Questions;
How do I resign from the neutral pilot faction? I joined to get the ship for easy travel but I want to go Imperial but no matter what I do I can't resign, and the Imp recruiter won't talk to me until I do. I have deleted the ship and the first mission but the neutral trainer just keeps giving me a new ship and the first mission again!

When can I realistically start wearing armour? As in it won't cripple me just putting it on.

How do you make the monster pets??!! I am going CH simply to get a pair of massive sludge panthers!

To resign, go to the recruiter. You can find the recruiters here:
https://www.swgemu.com/archive/scrapbookv51/data/20070204121749/index.html

You can wear armor without any encumbrance once you master any combat profession. If you choose to dabble, it'll depend on what trees you dabble in and whether the percent decrease adds up to overcome the encumbrance (percent decrease are additive, not multiplicative). All melee profs (except TKM) wear padded, so dabbling in those is more likely to get you over the hump.

The bigger, more powerful creature pets are typically made by Bio-Engineers. If you hop on the R3 discord, you should be able to find a BE who can make you a pet to your specifications.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Is that the instant travel thing? Yeah, the devs disabled instant travel. Vehicles only. It's kind of annoying sometimes, but it's about the journey, not the destination? :confused:

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Some abilities in CU used mind or action. Medical abilities primarily use mind. You also had some abilities that could drain, reduce the Regen of, or stop the Regen of mind/action. Which affected whether the other player could use abilities.

The only thing that could incap/kill a player was the health pool, though.

One thing that bothers me about the CU is the lack of auto damage (white damage). Can make combat a bit of a click fest where I spend more time staring at my action bar than the actual combat on screen.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I think it needs some tweaks and balances, make some professions more relevant, balance others, etc. But it seems like the devs are actually interested in doing that, too. Not just a purist copy of CU. Last I checked, their goal was to get to a baseline of what the CU was, then update and tweak from there.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, the most "efficient" grind is to definitely focus on just one profession until you hit CL54. At that point, you can use any weapon you come across, which will make leveling another combat profession a lot easier. That first 1-14 hump is a pain in the rear end, especially for ranged professions. I think it'd help if there was a CL 7 reward in there. Just something to give a small DPS boost to make the dungeon crawl at CL14 less painful.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
You gotta fiddle with the settings in the launcher (gear icon in upper right) for windowless mode

I haven't been on in over a month, but last I played, they were having a lot of trouble with tells and friends lists. Has something to do with the social stuff being on the same server as the game. I heard they were working on putting tells/group chat/friendlist on a separate server. Most people have been using Discord in the meanwhile.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
Not in the sense you're thinking, where you auto-swing without any input from the player and without causing a global cool down. There is a basic melee and ranged attack that doesn't cost action or mind points to cast, but it resets the global cool down. To can set it to auto-cast (Ctrl+l-click), but if you set up your keybinds any way besides the default, it could gently caress up how that works.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I think it's also the legacy quests. They can get really repetitive after a bit. There were only so many caves I could venture into before I felt like I was losing my mind. I eventually dumped that and joined a grind group. Made the experience more enjoyable, personally

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010

Burt posted:

I REALLY miss doc and CM crafting though. I used to make mind disease grenades using Janta blood and whatever else rare drops it took that could turn your maxed out mind bar black in seconds. The ticks were bigger than a master TK could meditate away.

Med crafting is still in, it's under Bio Engineer. I think it needs some buffs, since using the ability without the crafted item is only maybe 10-20% worse, and Medic xx1x is about as good as Stim B's in terms of effectiveness. Would be nice if the crafted stuff would significantly improve your abilities, even if that meant nerfing the base output to keep things balanced.

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
I think I might start playing again. Are goons running around in any official capacity?

Also lol, the server is so new, nothing is available on the markets in any real capacity. If you like crafting, now's a great time to get on stuff like food buffs, clothing, starter weapons and armor. People are rushing for high tier stuff, but resource spawns haven't really been cooperating.

Also, don't roll Itho or Wook unless you like fighting naked. There is very little in the way of affordable armor for them right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoUncool
Oct 21, 2010
dead thread, but I'll respond to this:

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Is there a no-BS guide to all of the different servers these days? I'm looking for Pre-CU, minimum nepotism/drama, and very open to the idea of accelerated XP, but wouldn't sacrifice the other two for it.

E: Started on Finalizer. What's the best way to get some credits on your first character? Erotic roleplay in the cantinas?

missions are the surest way to slowly build into a decent money pile on a fresh character. Once you get ~40k, get an upgraded weapon for whatever combat style you settled on. That should carry you all the way to a finished template, when you can start working on an "end game" weapon. Pick up armor after the weapon, and start getting buffs when you get to solo mission payouts of about 3k/per. Try to get missions for animals that don't have too many state effects.