Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I've been doing a solo challenge (no trading with other players, no tipping other players, no bazaar) on Bloodfin for the last few days and it's a lot of fun. They have 15x XP and let you have 3 alts playing at the same time (and 15 altogether) so it's not too grindy and a lot of fun. Kinda feels like Salem or Haven and Hearth with much better combat, and you're not equipped in server best all the time. It's fun trying to find ways to build up quickly by yourself.

Yeah the server staff is weird, power-trippy and culty as gently caress, but you don't have to interact with them if you're just doing your own thing. And they took a lot of stuff from NGE and put it into pre-cu, which is neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Levarris posted:

Yeah, I think most of us that got together on Bloodfin once before will all join me in the general feeling of not wanting to touch that horrible server again with a 50 foot pole, and I was a developer there at the time we had Goon Squad running around there.

There are so many reasons why Bloodfin is literally the worst poo poo show in the entire emu scene but I won't get into that.

Yeah I've heard all about that, and I can see how the dev environment wouldn't mesh with how goon guilds tend to work, and there's that stupid bullshit with the wipe where they claimed they got hacked.

I mean there's all that but it lets me play with neat toys and without too much time investment, which counts for a lot for me. Maybe I'm just shallow. I don't care much for the MMO part though, that probably helps.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Levarris posted:

Yeah, I think most of us that got together on Bloodfin once before will all join me in the general feeling of not wanting to touch that horrible server again with a 50 foot pole, and I was a developer there at the time we had Goon Squad running around there.

There are so many reasons why Bloodfin is literally the worst poo poo show in the entire emu scene but I won't get into that.

So I know you said you don't want to get into why Bloodfin is complete poo poo, but I've been enjoying playing there and have been thinking about doing some dev work for them maybe (I'm reasonably competent with C++ and Lua). Could you elaborate on it a bit?

I know that they have a reputation for being huge drama queens, and some of the things I've seen there were pretty bad, but it's both genuinely enjoyable for me and there's a bunch of obvious places (like missing strings or w/e) that could be improved. Was Heat and/or Roses huge shithead about stuff that should be worked on? They seem like the type.

e: I did read the previous Bloodfin thread. Was more wondering what the development side of things is like.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 8, 2016

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Levarris posted:

Heat is a very old friend and a good person, his wife is not. So I limit my criticisms of Bloodfin out of respect to my friend.

As far as their development process, they don't work with a repository, they work in their own environments then manually copy and paste poo poo to their server. It's kind of a clusterfuck, or it was when I was there.

Oh god that sounds a lot worse than I thought. How do you even have a multi-person project, or a project of an complexity for that matter, without a versioning repo? I guess you can send patches, but for projects the size of swg, just, ugh.

quote:

They have a tendency to not go through proper vetting and testing of new code before they push it to their server like they did last year when Heat made his pseudo implementation of JTL prompting a complete wipe of their database which he blamed on hackers.

Hey if it's good enough for a many-million-dollar engineering company ... (god how I wish I was joking here :( )

Anyway I'll think about it I guess. I've had a look through the core3 source code and it seems fairly workable. I don't have a lot of side stuff going right now so it might be good for me to get involved with something again. Thanks for sharing though!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Levarris posted:

All depending on just what you want to do, I might entertain the notion of you taking a peek at some of my work to see if it's something you might want to get on board.

I'd rather do some small fixes, tweaks and changes than get into anything big, if they'll even let me do that. Plus I don't actually mind playing on Bloodfin, warts and all, so there's that. I'll try out Stella Bellum when it goes online though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

fake edit: I can't read, launch was pushed back.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Conskill posted:

One of the devs is currently clarifying that they do not know if it's the controller or the HDD, and if it's the HDD, yup, everything needs to be set up again from the start.

Now I'm a simple country video game player, but I don't understand why aren't they talking about just backing up from their last major revision instead? They... do backups, right?

Server redundancy is expensive and it hasn't been up for that long. But either way there's a chance it's just a convenient excuse anyway, given the previous drama.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The corporate-style endorsements they have on the legends homepage are utterly hilarious.

Katrina Abney Johnson posted:

"What an amazing job they are doing. My son asked me to play this with him and I agreed. I was on Restuss hill crying like a baby as it faded away. I am happy to say it is back and on such an awesome level!!!! Definitely recommend to all... you wont be disappointed."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Apparently it has population in the high hundreds, which is pretty neat.

I'm still sticking with bloodfin but mostly because I like the additions they made.