Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Theophany posted:

The Repopulation is frequently mentioned as a spiritual successor to SWG but gently caress paying for software in alpha.

Without the Star Wars IP you just have a really bad game though. It's not like SWG ever really was a great game in it's own right. It actually always sucked, it was just that it delivered the chance to "live" in the Star Wars Universe that appealed to people.

If the same game was released for the Flash Gordon universe for example, it would probably have lasted a week, and went down in history as having the only game soundtrack composed by Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Tide posted:

anyone playing this old rear end game should really get to flurry. lots of good changes coming this way. one rebel guild is dominating pvp, so if pvp is your thing go there and roll imperial.

Flurry is run by an imbecile, no thanks.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Goast posted:

The discord link in op is expired btw

That's because the channel is gone. Something about no goons really care about SWG anymore.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Truthfully though, JTL should not be as intensive to put together as the rest of the game has been. Bottom line is, it's just not that intricate, and most of it depends on everything about the ground game to function.

Once the core functionality of JTL is put in place, the rest is basically just scripting which is extremely simple.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

SoUncool posted:

So Basilisk is still kicking. What about this SWG Awakening server? Is it worth a look?

Awakening is the worst thing since Hitler.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

SoUncool posted:

Is there a goon SWG discord? The Steam Mantina seems a little dead.

There was, until there wasn't.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

Stella Bellums source code and a prepackaged server VM got released last week so maybe something fun will happen. Levarris, you know what to do! (Which is consider running the server, then instead drink until you pass out)

https://bitbucket.org/theswgsource/swg-main
https://www.swgsource.com/forums/

HELL NO!

However, I would consider taking part of a Goon Incursion onto legends. I already have a character there, and the staff there practically licks my boots.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

iamthehans posted:

I'd be in for this and I could maybe drag dinko with me

I'll do it if there enough Goons who want to. If there is anything that I like less than pubbies, it's SWG pubbies. What is left of that community is really awful for the most part.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Conskill posted:

Since I'm well ensconced on a pre-CU server, what does Legends offer me other than JTL?

Granted, JTL would be awesome to play with again.

All of the content that was added post-NGE, Mustafar, Kashyyyk, Heroic Instances, PvP Battlefields, GCW Invasions, an enhanced player bounty system, the list goes on and on.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Cryptix posted:

Is anyone still active on Basilisk?

Probably not.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Apparently Goon Town still exists on Basilisk. My house still stands there. I recall having put so much maintenance in it that it would last for years, and so it has.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 19, 2017

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
As bad as basilisk is, it's not as bad as every other badly run server.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Jiimy posted:

Levarris are you gonna play?

God no.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
It's not likely to happen again. See you tomorrow.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ahdinko posted:

Never!

If you need me to place a building or something i can, but mayoring goons is the worst.

Especially Jiimy.

Being mayor is your eternal burden.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
I did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vDc6A0TXXQ

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Goast posted:

neat, keep doing the thing

I plan to. The thing starts on 8/1/18

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
The thing is live. I did it early.

http://stardust-swg.com/play-now/

Using the discord mentioned earlier in the thread.

https://discordapp.com/invite/aCZX5tm

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Frog Act posted:

dope! I made an account and tried to log in but it said "the administrators have disabled your account". Everything seems to be mostly working though

Forum accounts are separate from game accounts.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

bogey.flail posted:

Awesome, I'll give this a go!

Quick question, how many characters can we have/ have logged in at the same time (If I want to run buffbots that is)

You can have 6 per account, 3 online at a time.

Someone find Ahdinko. We need our Eternal Mayor to deliver us to the promised land.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jul 27, 2018

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

whatspeakyou posted:

Oh boy a new swg server. How balanced are combat professions? Can I actually be a carbine ER and not hate my life?

I'm playing one myself, so yes.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Ahdinko 2020: Make SWG Great Again

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
So the big question. Do we rebuild the great caliphate of Afgoonistan? Or find some nice slice of waterfront property in the form of Goontona Beach? Literally any option is on the table.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Nice. So far 320 unique characters have been created, population is still growing. It might just be a respectable server soon.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Hachiman posted:

Basilisk sever has always around 1000 players, even though most are bots it is a steady population. Also you can find buffers (doctors, dancers and musicians) very easily. The market is not like when the game was live of course but you can find pretty much anything you need. Give it a try, it is free after all.

Basilisk is just the same tired thing again. It gets old, fast.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
No third faction, and no major changes to crafting. The main changes to stardust are about combat balance.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

SoUncool posted:

Cool, thanks all. Wasn't going to deter me either way, just curious. Found the disks.

I'll probably make a crafting character first, with combat on a side toon. I'll toodle around with it until I find a niche I like. Probably not weapon/armorsmith, since both of those require I sacrifice a goat and three children to the timelords to ever have a chance of even making something useful. But clothes, buildings, food or vehicles all might be interesting areas to explore.

EDIT: So I think I hosed something up. I can get the SWGEmu version to work, but for some reason, once I have all the files for Stardust downloaded and installed, the launch stalls out when I hit "play".

I'm pretty sure my mistake is with these instructions:

Follow the prompts: of the Installation Wizard, be sure to point it to a valid Star Wars Galaxies Client Folder.
Download the ModTheGalaxy TRE Files: from either of the following sources:
Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/open?id=14fDk10PYkqCK1ZVXpnAVh1UC3ONAWfUx
Mega Upload: https://mega.nz/#F!fw0EzZ4I!RfRwyqE859Ad3kGlQv7T4Q
Extract the ModTheGalaxy TRE Files: to the folder you specified for the Stardust Installation.

I've been pointing the Stardust launcher at the /StarWarsGalaxies folder, and same for the MTG TRE files. Is this right?

You can just install it to the default, c:\stardust and extract the modthegalaxy files there. It will work.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Orty posted:

Hows Stardust for crafters? Market for someone like me who just wants to hop on and make some droids?

I've found the time to play myself again too, been churning out housing and tailoring goods. Would love to see more goons hop in / back in.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Radio Free Kobold posted:

this stardust thing looks pretty great. the video has only got about 2.6k views though so i'm a bit worried about population. is there a decent amount of people playing it?

It's a video about SWG, it's not going to get many views. But then I have only promoted it on the /r/swg subreddit.

The population is small, but it grows slowly every day. Currently between 50-60 are online concurrently on a daily basis, so yes. It is a small community, though it is ridiculously helpful. (something which seriously surprises me)

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

OscarDiggs posted:

I remember buying the game really excited when I was like 15, only to discover that a few months previous the combat update happened, essentially getting rid of all the reasons I had wanted to play in the first place. I'm a hoarder, so if I still have the discs I will so be here.

That shouldn't stop you even if you don't still have the discs.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

site posted:

everyone is super nice and helpful

This is the part that generally shocks me. Usually SWG Pubbies are the worst human trash. This community is somehow not overrun with that element.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

HiriseSoftware posted:

Population is still too low for meaningful PvP, we are all kinda being friendly neighborhood SWG players, helping each other out.

Basically this, as the server population grows I'd wager things get a bit more partisan, but for now It's very, communal.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Radio Free Kobold posted:

the thing to do in crafting is probably to find a niche that isn't filled by whatever's on the market right now and just fill that. speeders or extractors or factories or clothing or cooking or something.

There are a lot of niches that need to be filled on Stardust too.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

HiriseSoftware posted:

Just need more players really. Come to the Discord and see what people say.

This pretty much. If everyone who said to themselves, "I'd play there if more people played there." Instead of saying that, actually played. A lot of people would be playing.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

whatspeakyou posted:

Alright I'll see if I can't get it up and running at some point this week.

Nice.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

whatspeakyou posted:

This server is fantastic. Lev thanks for doing this.

Needs more people playing. People in this thread.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Mindisgone posted:

So is this stardust thing actually enjoyable? I was thinking of getting back into SWG (for the 50th time) and almost instinctively hopped on Basilisk. The original pre-CU is my flavor of choice but if you are all loving the new flavor then I'll add to the population for sure.

One question I have is how are classes like droid engineer, creature handler, etc that have had issues being implemented in emu's in the past? Besides JTL are there any core features missing or not working properly or is this what we have all been waiting for?

EDIT: I watched the video and read a bit to answer some of my own stupid questions. This looks super fantastic and I am hopping on as soon as possible!

EDIT2: Has anyone had success running this on Linux?

The launcher won't work in Linux I don't think, let me know if you get it to with Wine, that would be interesting to know. The client itself works 100% with Wine though. Every ground profession is 100% implemented. JTL features, still are not. But they are in works. (not by me, but by SWGEmu)

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

TequilaJesus posted:

Agreed. Just got it installed, never looking back.

Glad you are enjoying it!

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Mindisgone posted:

Update to running Stardust on Linux. I am actually going to bail on this and just run a virtual machine on my desktop and dual boot my laptop, problem solved (or averted).

Also I would like to start a crafting and possibly a surveying guild. I am going to post more about it in Stardust forums but for the goons not already here hop on this hotness. :thumbsup:

I figured the launcher would not work in linux. The client absolutely does, but in the case of stardust that doesn't matter because without the launcher you won't get the most up to date version of the client TRE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

TequilaJesus posted:

So which planet do goons migrate to in stardust?

Right now, where everyone else migrates to. Mos Stardust on Tatooine, until things grow enough that more cities pop up.