Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

HiriseSoftware posted:

Everyone that is interested in playing on Stardust, just join the Discord, we'll get you straightened out. All your questions will be answered.

All questions game related..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Bear in mind I have bonus XP turned on through the holidays. It's right now like 4x with an additional 3x group bonus. Normally it's 1x with a 2x group bonus. In short right now is a good time to grind out, after New Years I will likely turn it back to the standard XP rate. Though honestly at this point I may not because people are growing accustomed to the higher xp gains.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Looks like it's sticking around. Poll numbers are heavily in favor of it remaining.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
If any of you want a guild hall to form Goon Squad or whatever it'll be called here let me know and I'll make one for you with my crafter. I just won't be joining on my character(s) so as I maintain a position of neutrality on the server and within the community.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
I posted 3 guild halls on my structures vendor for 200k each.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Website currently down, upgrading security on web host / adding SSL cert. Had to shuffle a bunch of stuff and flag the stardust domain as primary on my lovely godaddy hosting account in order to enable SSL on it. huzzah.

There is interim installation / registration instructions posted in the Stardust Discord Announcements tab.

https://discord.gg/wWB57eC

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Mindisgone posted:

Hopefully there will be more activity on the forums after it comes back up. I posted about the crafters guild I want to start. Anyone interested in getting it started can throw me a DM here, in game, or the stardust forum which is most preferable.

Maybe, I think though to most people Discord has made forums obsolete because in there you get instant feedback as opposed to post / wait.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Mindisgone posted:

I guess I'm being old fashion. :classiclol:

Nah, we are just of a breed that loves our dead forums.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

magiccarpet posted:

yeah i just have a mac laptop but i suppose i can gently caress it up with parallels or whatever people use now

You could boot camp it, or you could use Wine or Crossover or whatever mac equivalent there is to run the actual SWG client. The launcher will only work in windows though, i've tried using wine for it.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

site posted:

Yeah I was trying it through win 7 bootcamp. It gets all the way to the spinwheel load screen and then crashes out so I think the game just needs an actual video card

It should work with even intel integrated lovely video. Depending on the HDD the initial load of the client can take longer than usual due to the modthegalaxy consolidated TRE files. They do increase load times a smidge, but only because they are packed with everything in the NGE data files basically just adapted to a format the Pre-CU client can take.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Strotski posted:

I tried playing SWG 2 or 3 times over the years and it just never clicked, until I tried Stardust and now it's back to crack UO days for me. That's my Stardust testimonial thank you for reading.

Glad to hear it!

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
I did another thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC3IXt1ZwOA

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Frog Act posted:

Double exp is still active right? There's a lot of stuff I never got around to doing on my MR/MM/MCM on Basilisk but quit out of frustration after being scammed out of my dope veterans rewards

Yeah XP rates are increased, indefinitely.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Fratstar_Eatpuss posted:

Gonna install Stardust and give it a go. I'm interested to see how combat plays out without HAM being a factor anymore, and how each profession feels now that pool targeting isn't a thing to worry about. Obviously riflemen and Swordsmen won't have that distinct edge anymore.

Basically yeah, It's nice to play pretty much anything and not suck by default.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

I said come in! posted:

This video is making me want to play Star Wars Galaxies again. I haven’t played since the game shut down on the Sony Online Entertainment servers. The Old Republic doesn’t have the immersion that Galaxies had and I really miss that.

Do it.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

BromanderData posted:

Would being able to use the vanilla SWGEMU and this require to SWG installs to work?

If you already have vanilla SWGEmu, just point the installer to that folder, the installer will take what it needs and put it within a subfolder so as not to interfere with your existing client folder. Then just extract the modthegalaxy TRE files to that subfolder and it should work.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
The server is really starting to grow. Averaging between 100-120 concurrent at peak daily now.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Strotski posted:

Game ruined every other mmo for me, I hate it for that. :argh:
Someone please write me a good post that I can pass to my friends to convince them to play this, they're all modern mmo babs that need direction and say things like "but what is there to do?" and "where's the game?"

SWG isn't a game for "modern mmo babs" though. It isn't a hand holding theme park experience, people looking for that and expecting to be hand held will never do well in an environment where they have to exist free-form.

Take Fallout 76. People were expecting a fallout game. Not a sandbox game with a fallout skin. ( disclaimer: i never played fallout 76 )

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Defiance Industries posted:

That can't be the problem. That's what Fallout 3 and 4 were and the same people loved those.

Yeah but they had a well defined story and path to follow. SWG dumps you in, gives you a blaster and lets you go pretty much. That's the general point I am making. "Modern MMO Babs" are simply too used to being spoon fed and not having to figure out how to live in virtual space.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
hosed up thing is that a wipe is the one thing that would truly help basilisk and most of it's community. Problem is SWGEmu listens to a small cadre of their finest donation whales.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

SoUncool posted:

I feel like I'm in a terrible minority when I say, as a combat-focused player, I genuinely enjoyed the CU more than pre-CU. I felt like playing the game was more dynamic and less grind-y overall. A perfect world, to me, would be a blend of the CU's combat and an EVE-like economy, all set in a star wars universe. I don't like most modern MMOs where you, the lowly player, are the BIG HERO SAVING THE WORLD, then the next guy in line for the quest becomes the BIG HERO, too. Lemme save this rear end in a top hat kid's life and move on with my existence (shooting bad guys, or "bad guys"), leave defeating the emperor for some scrubby moisture farmer with wizard powers.

I too enjoyed the CU more. I think this is pretty well reflected on Stardust.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
I did yet another thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Cd0rzop-M

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Well, I just read through about three years worth of posts in this thread that I haven't looked at in about that much time. Saw a few mentions about me and some of my work in the past and thought I'd shed some perspective about a few things that were mentioned.

The Stardust server, it failed not due to any drama regarding head starts or anything. I'm pretty sure that was that Stella Bellum NGE project if memory serves. Anyways I ran Stardust for a year, pretty much solo as a Dev / Admin. It was a pretty drat demanding job that I didn't get paid for but did because I for whatever reason enjoyed the creative outlet that developing content for SWG afforded me. It wasn't that I wanted to work alone, it was that most people that got involved in development for SWG private servers weren't usually interested in conforming to someone else's ideas, or were not knowledgeable enough to run a server themselves quite yet and use more knowledgeable ones to siphon enough know-how to pop up their own poo poo-tier server.

Suffice it to say, I burned out and grew heavily disillusioned dealing with the demands of an ever growing community that inside of itself grew a large and highly vocal group of extremely entitled whiny pubbies. It became impossible for me to continue expanding on and developing more content basically. I never had time to because I was always chasing after something some community member whined loudly enough about all in the effort of keeping the player base happy. Maybe I should have just told them to deal with it and worked on whatever I wanted, maybe I'd have stayed happy and kept it going? Maybe. Anyways I shut the server off for the last time I think in July of 2019. Left all my work open-sourced so anyone with a brain could pick it up if they wanted. So yes, you could say that any successor project such as SWG-Afterlife (which I understand is gone now too) did indeed have my blessing to exist, that's literally what my open sourcing my work was all about.

What I didn't particularly care about that project (Afterlife) is that it was being run by the very same aforementioned highly vocal group of extremely entitled and whiny pubbies. That and the "fixes" they said they implemented were quite literally things I expressly said I would never do because they completely threw things out of the balance I tried to create with Stardust.

As far as how "toxic" I was on live. Well, eleven plus years ago I'm sure most of us were different people.

Lastly, there are far worse people that could moderate the /r/swg subreddit than me. I keep that place a bastion of free speech and unbiased discussion about a game historically rife with drama queens.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Mar 9, 2022

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

30.5 Days posted:

They weren't thinking of Stella bellum they were thinking of dark light I'm pretty sure

Darklight SWG? That was myself and Synge, and that project was tossed out because it was broken garbage, not due to any drama like that. I think there were only a handful of people that were even interested in it.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

HiriseSoftware posted:

I miss Stardust! After I burned out on supplying armor and arms to our small community for what felt like forever I got into something else and kinda moved on before all of the drama, but it was a refreshing take on SWG. Afterlife brought it back mostly and I hit Jedi there too, but they made the XP requirements for building a template way higher and it just become too much. I never did their new content - they archived the DB and said they would bring it back if there was enough interest.

I wasn't aware they made any new content, just the content that I created with a few tweaks.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Goast posted:

the intro to this server's old trailer really captures the energy that causes these projects to fail

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AeHyI9HP7Q

all the spinoffs may end in drama but swgemu still chugs along over a decade later, gotta give them credit for that

Rofl. I haven't seen that video in ages and it's on my own youtube channel. I am curious how you found it considering that it's unlisted. There is a backstory to the audio clip in there though. "Elysium" as it was called, is what for me came before Stardust. We basically tried to build a better NGE within a pre-cu environment. By the time we finished it though NGE leaked source servers existed and it was basically redundant. We gave up on it like a few weeks after launch when we had a whopping 15 people on the server.

Levarris fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 15, 2022

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
The OP of the thread actually is valid again. The Stardust server relaunched yesterday.

https://www.stardust-swg.com/

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Rynoto posted:

You can't trick me for the n'th time I say to myself while installing this again.

I honestly thought I was done with SWG for good, but over four years since shutting Stardust down I received a ton of messages from former players about how much they really liked it and wanted it to come back. It finally got to me and I decided to oblige the requests.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Shart Carbuncle posted:

I'm sure dealing with SWG players will do that to a person.

Truer words were never spoken

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Noise Complaint posted:

Just wanted to plug Legends again. It's been almost 3 months for me now and I've stopped hopping MMO's.

I can't recommend Legends. It may be populous, but it's an illusion. The vast majority of it's online characters are AFK, the community is either incredibly toxic, or incredibly thin skinned, there's not much in-between. Couple that with admins that actively abuse their power and clandestinely profit off of the server via RMT transactions and you just have a bad mix.

Stardust is where it's at.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Noise Complaint posted:

I would love to play on Stardust if it A.) Had functioning JTL, and B.) Had content.

Myself and a few other goons are in a very non-toxic guild on Legends and it's populous enough on a daily basis that we can get dungeon runs at any hour of the day.

I really, in 2023, do not want to do mission terminals all day every day.

I won't argue with the admins/csr's being garbage and there being a subset of very loud assholes on Legends, but you'd have to convince me that there's things to do on Stardust.

Slogging through the pre-CU combat in 2023 is honestly tedious, and I've played on and off since 2003. On Legends, I can get my group together, go do the dungeons, Jedi theme park, work on the Bespin quests, and do a ton of space content with a pretty large pool of people to play with.

Why would I go to Stardust? What would I do after speccing into the same builds I have since 2003? Grind Krayts?

It's a tough sell.

Stardust isn't Pre-CU. It may have originally been based on it but there is a great deal more to it than that. It too has it's own versions of the heroic instances from NGE, the entire galaxy has been completely converted and moved up along the timeline to a year after ROTJ, this means new theme parks, quest lines, unique planets that do not exist anywhere else. Stardust is constantly adding more end game content that doesn't involve "Grinding krayts". As for JTL, it's coming within the next year as the SWGEmu team continues work on it Stardust will incorporate it as soon as it is viable enough to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1Cd0rzop-M

Check that video if you haven't already. It tells you a lot more than I have in the last couple of sentences.

Lurken posted:

Is there mando armor on stardust? What’s the drop rate on liquids? I only need bracers gloves and belt on my set in legends before the ghost of my childhood stops howling at me

That leads to my big thing, which is how In 2023 I don’t have the time or energy to deep dive into another server. It’d have to be a gonzo big case.

I too am in an active garbage-free guild that runs every flavor of content every day.

I am curious about this talk to real money transactions in legends. Is this like, common knowledge I’ve managed to totally avoid?

Of course there is mando armor. Drop rates are higher than originally, while there should be at least some grind to certain things, we also don't want you spending a lifetime down in the DWB either. As for the real money transactions in legends, it gets to be common knowledge the deeper down that rabbit hole you go. The admins there do a good job trying to make things look neat and tidy on the surface though. The server's economy speaks for itself however. Think Zimbabwe is hyper inflated? Zimbabwe hasn't got poo poo on the omega server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Ulesi posted:

But how am I supposed to mind bleed everyone :(

Action Bleeds are so hot right now. Mind Bleeds are so last year.